Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
Syringe of uncontrollable rage - injected subject attacks all bystanders, will attempt to use objects as weapons (I.e. Temporarily disable ability to control self and place violent NPC behaviour in control).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
They still need to be able to speak. How else will they wail about not being able to stop? Or about how they are so sorry?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Jerk Burger posted:

Syringe of uncontrollable rage - injected subject attacks all bystanders, will attempt to use objects as weapons (I.e. Temporarily disable ability to control self and place violent NPC behaviour in control).

omfg

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

NES Zapper : When fired, makes a loud PTWANG noise and causes a bright, non-stunning flash of light. However, to hit someone, you just have to click the gun to activate crosshair mode, and then click on whatever you want to shoot! Hits instantly, no delay. Does burn damage, and can be recharged at charging stations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This first one's more something for a traitor item for the Roboticist, as the Syndieborg isn't really something they themselves can use.

Self-Attaching Robo-Arms: A pair of mechanical gloves that, when worn, consume your arms (*scream) and replace them with super-strength cyborg limbs that let the victim/wearer punch with Hulk strength.

Li'l Greyshirt: A small wooden doll resembling the active user that, when held, mimics whatever the holder says and adds some... colourful language changes and makes a few scathing remarks about it's new wearer. Any attacks made at the user while holding Li'l Greyshirt are directed at the doll instead, who will quite happily fight back of his own accord. Strangely, you can't seem to get the doll off of your hand on your own once it's on...

Kudzu Bomb: A small explosive stuffed with Kudzu seeds and a whole lot of miracle-grow. Combine it with any of the usual accessories (remote signallers, timers, proxy triggers, etc) and let-er-rip. Deploys a 5x5 area of Dense Kudzu on activation and just spreads rapidly from there.

Spooky Dan's Book of Horror Tales: A tome of scary stories. Click on the book to start reading, and everyone in it's general field of effect starts feeling a little off. Effects progress rapidly (hallucinations, drug trips, etc) as the story goes on (just having the reader spouting random quotes from various books or something), until eventually the nearby listeners just scream and keel over dead of fright.

As a general thing, how about having e-mags affecting cyborg limbs when targeted (just something like "Traitor Dude hits Pubbie McCyberarm in the left arm with the e-mag")? Inducing the old "phantom limb" condition, with the added effect of removing the limb in question spawning a very angry mobile version scuttling across the floor like an ice spider. Or a pair of disgruntled treads that knock people over segway-style.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Maybe this is more of an Abandoned Crate or Z-level item, but..

Cheap Plastic Sunglasses - This pair of sunglasses appears to be cheap and mass-made at first, but when donned their true purpose is revealed; they reveal the TRUTH!!!, man! The wearer begins to see messages written on walls and floors, on signs and boxes(random garbage flavor text in chat), all subliminal messages put there by some horrible overlords! The glasses rob the wearer of color sight, but in return, grant a very powerful power: All antagonists are colored red! Unfortunately, while it always catches antagonists, this effect is also overzealous and will produce quite a few false positives!(Hopefully based on some arbitrary admin requirements, and not true RNG.) Additionally, seeing all of these things is quite erosive to the wearer's mind, and so they take continual, slow brain damage as they wear the glasses.

It's the glasses from They Live.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
How about kudzu seeds? Like they take a long time to grow, costs a lot of telecrystals(8-10? At least enough that you can't get two)
Would require you to take one of the hydroponics bays, hide it somewhere and tend to it, which would make it pretty suspicious(Missing botanist, missing hydroponics).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Captain Bravo posted:

Here's a great traitor item I've been thinking about for a while, that would be perfect for the surplus crate:

The Li'l Slugger

A specially-corked wooden syndicate baseball bat, the Li'l Slugger is a one-handed melee weapon that deals moderate damage, but whenever you hit someone with it they go flying like if hit with a shotgun blast. There's also a satisfying "thwack!" sound effect that makes it immediately obvious to anyone nearby, and it has a secret use that if anyone tries to throw something at you while you're holding the Li'l Slugger, you'll automatically knock it back at them.

Maybe even give a list of baseball puns that your character says whenever hitting someone with the bat. "Pop fly!" "Deep into left field!" "He could! Go! All! The! Way!!!" "Foul Ball!"

If you land a Devastating Hit or whatever a critical is, the chat window should display a big red "SMAAAAAAASH!"

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It seems like it might be of the 'too much work' category, but I really like the pitch for the baseball bat item. I think it would be a big hit. I think the only strike I can make against it so far is the lack of a baseball to use like the syndicate bowling ball/annoying-rear end TF2 scout ball and stun people with from range, but maybe that idea's a swing and a miss. Anyways, I think the other elaborations so far have covered all the bases, so here's to hoping we get to play with it eventually.

Umpires.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Archenteron posted:

If you land a Devastating Hit or whatever a critical is, the chat window should display a big red "SMAAAAAAASH!"

I'm all for this if this gets in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Archenteron posted:

A critical hit should also hit with enough force to gib the poor bastard if they hit a wall while flung backwards.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Motherfucker posted:

Syndie Shades: This stealth gear looks and acts like a pair of regular shades but comes with an 'activate' verb that when used causes a small LED to light up on the glasses (so you know when they're on) and projects a holographic censor across you which masks your identity and gear as well as making you invisible to thermals and cams. Sort of an inverted cloaking device in that it protects your identity by making you obviously an anonymous crimer.

Or better yet just add the holographic disguiser from the syndieshop to surplus crates.
This would be really good.

I tried running a gimmick where i would buy a voice changer, wrestling belt and a syndicate agent card and briefly become Syndicate Maenn before resuming my role as an unassuming janitor.

I burst out of maintenance and beepsky tagged me immediately:doh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A critical hit should also hit with enough force to gib the poor bastard if they hit a wall while flung backwards.

The bat should definitely make the Homerun Bat noise from Smash Brothers on a crit, as well as outputting SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH! to the text log. A relatively low damage-per-hit traitor weapon with massive knockback would be awesome to do mischief with, especially if you got really creative. Drag a monkey (or lovely Bill) somewhere and slug them at an unsuspecting victim for a stylish and funny knockdown.

If you throw an object with the bat in your other hand, you should bat the object instead, giving it considerably greater force and velocity. Bat knives at Security. Bat a bomb into the AI core. Bat the Bible at the endlessly farting Captain.

Really though, gimmicky secret side effects aside, this bat definitely needs to be made A Thing. The silly Earthbound reference and comical knockback would be more than enough to make it a beloved favourite.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spooky Dan's Book of Horror Tales: A tome of scary stories. Click on the book to start reading, and everyone in it's general field of effect starts feeling a little off. Effects progress rapidly (hallucinations, drug trips, etc) as the story goes on (just having the reader spouting random quotes from various books or something), until eventually the nearby listeners just scream and keel over dead of fright.

I could write snippets for this! I am pretty decent at writing some horrible stuff, and I can even keep it pg-13 despite my usual output in irc.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I really like the pitch for the baseball bat item. I think it would be a big hit.

These puns hurt me and make me wish to do you an injury.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

PopeCrunch posted:

I could write snippets for this! I am pretty decent at writing some horrible stuff, and I can even keep it pg-13 despite my usual output in irc.

Only if you write a snippet about the ultimate horror, the chemistry department :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WarpedNaba posted:

I hope you don't mind "Holmes! Run!" jokes i'll be making every time I wield that glorious bat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the bat wielder should automatically bat back thrown items as long as they come from the area he's facing, and if they don't, they automatically knock him down briefly due to coming out of left field

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Okay okay, I'll add the bat! Gosh.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You are the best, Cogwerks!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Then I did my job. Besides, I'd cry foul if you slugged me.

At least I didn't break out my joke about how it'd be hard for me to run home because of du gout?

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Might as well throw in a dumb idea I had: The ID Scrambler!

It should look like a small, inconspicous item, like a fire extinguisher or an oxygen tank. Everytime you click on someone their ID gets random access (though maybe with the high priority stuff being rare) Are you gonna scramble yourself till you get captains access or are you gonna run around sneakily screwing with peoples access? It would have limited uses so you cant spam it till you get like access to the captains quarters or something though it ahould have enough to potentially cause chaos among the crew.

I realise this idea could use a bit of work on the details but an item that could screw with the IDs of other players would be fun to have.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Greader posted:

Might as well throw in a dumb idea I had: The ID Scrambler!

It should look like a small, inconspicous item, like a fire extinguisher or an oxygen tank. Everytime you click on someone their ID gets random access (though maybe with the high priority stuff being rare) Are you gonna scramble yourself till you get captains access or are you gonna run around sneakily screwing with peoples access? It would have limited uses so you cant spam it till you get like access to the captains quarters or something though it ahould have enough to potentially cause chaos among the crew.

I realise this idea could use a bit of work on the details but an item that could screw with the IDs of other players would be fun to have.

I don't see a problem with having infinite uses, so long as it's random, since the emag is essentially an all-access card anyway.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I was wondering if it'd be too evil to make EMP pulses wipe the magnetic strip on ID cards.
Probably too evil.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I was wondering if it'd be too evil to make EMP pulses wipe the magnetic strip on ID cards.
Probably too evil.

Maybe a door scrambler tool that randomizes what access it required to open said door, while rarely electrifying when refusing access.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Probably too evil.

Skunkrocker posted:

Magnet: Make ID cards useless. Make computer screens useless. Make audio tapes useless. Get stuck to crates.

Also magnets are loving awesome.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Okay okay, I'll add the bat! Gosh.

Cogwerks, as Father of the Bat, if I asked nicely could I get a free one for a round? :v:

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Probably too evil.

Do the evil label device!

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Probably too evil.

If that's done I'm honestly picturing the bad old days of super-murder-rampage 13, or when the Wizard Shocking-Grasps all the heads of personnel after blowing up the AI. No way to call the shuttle and all that, because some jackass insisted on ordering ten eight boxes of EMP grenades, a Chameleon Jumpsuit, and a fake mustache, then proceeded to grenade everyone three times over.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Would anybody like if I continued making these?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 16, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'd suggest always starting with a health analysis and reagent scan, though good luck getting anyone to stop (even if they're in critical) so you can actually check them out and heal them. :v:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

That's a matter of player culture, and there are more than enough players in here to shift things that direction.

SUGGESTION:
Instead of assuming the medics are all worthless and that you're better off beating them up and stealing all the meds for yourself... chill the gently caress out and let them help you. Play along. Talk to them. Let them at least try first before just bypassing them entirely*.

*security is totally welcome to arrest people for looting or breaking-and-entering, and I gave sec access to medbay in the hopes that guards would occasionally hang out there to maintain order.
Expect people to scream their heads off if you detain them for stealing meds, but if they've got a lovely attitude, gently caress 'em.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I can't add fabric or fibrilith to the arc smelter any more? How am I supposed to deck myself out in my sweet Gold threads?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Can Botany get a UV Lamp or Botanic Mister? How does the Botanic Mister work anyways?
QM being able to order various large gas canisters and water/foam/fuel tanks would be nice as well.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I do try to play along with the medical staff, and help them in their efforts, but most of the time I'm ignored and end up dying, sometimes multiple times. I figure hopefully that it at least serves as a learning experience for such vital lessons as 'one medibot, or even three medibots, is not necessarily enough to keep someone alive if you chop all four limbs off', or 'for god's sake stop stapling me, it's not funny and it's not helping', or 'if the patient is telling you to administer atropine and saline and the medical analyzer is telling you they're dying and in shock, maybe you should do that', but I haven't had a confirmed success case yet.

I HAVE managed to teach a couple of people the (incredibly user-friendly!) cloning machine, but so far that's just resulted in me being relegated to the role of medical cadaver. Ah well, baby steps.

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I can't add fabric or fibrilith to the arc smelter any more? How am I supposed to deck myself out in my sweet Gold threads?

And on a similar note: What do you have to do to get viscerite ore into bar form? It won't go into the arc smelter either.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That's a matter of player culture, and there are more than enough players in here to shift things that direction.

SUGGESTION:
Instead of assuming the medics are all worthless and that you're better off beating them up and stealing all the meds for yourself... chill the gently caress out and let them help you. Play along. Talk to them. Let them at least try first before just bypassing them entirely*.

*security is totally welcome to arrest people for looting or breaking-and-entering, and I gave sec access to medbay in the hopes that guards would occasionally hang out there to maintain order.
Expect people to scream their heads off if you detain them for stealing meds, but if they've got a lovely attitude, gently caress 'em.

To be honest, I don't bother with fixing myself up. If I get hurt, I just drag myself to medbay, go YO DOC I NEED SOME HELP, and wait.

Usually there's someone around to fix me up when I accidentally fatally irradiate myself playing with the arc smelter. Usually. And it lets me be lazy, which is a win-win.

Or they're actually a traitor, and drug and kill me. Those people tend to chase you down and kill you instead, though, so that's usually not a concern. And frequently it just means I get cloned/borged instead. Yay.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

SUGGESTION:

Just the other day, as a captain, I successfully found and treated a guy who was severely burned and suffering from cardiac arrest. He let me drag him from the fiery hellhole that was the engine over to medbay, and then let me slap a couple burn patches on him, drop epinephrine on him, then helpfully pointed out where the defibrillator was as I was searching for it. Considering I have never played medic before, the whole thing turned out very warm and fuzzy :3:, and he thanked me for saving his life.

Later on in that round, I'd go on to laser him down, then toss a syndicate pipe bomb on him for good measure and get my very first traitor round win ever, which was also a very warm and fuzzy :3: moment in its own way.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey idiots, stop whining about antagonists being "boring" in deadchat. We all know it's really because you're salty about being dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

amuayse posted:

Can Botany get a UV Lamp or Botanic Mister? How does the Botanic Mister work anyways?
QM being able to order various large gas canisters and water/foam/fuel tanks would be nice as well.

There's a fabricator in the cold loop room that can make full large gas canisters, although it starts empty and some of the canisters have materials requirements that can't easily be scrounged (good luck making a plasma canister if Gragg isn't carrying plasmastone that round, because the miners are never going to find 20 pieces of the stuff).

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I do try to play along with the medical staff, and help them in their efforts, but most of the time I'm ignored and end up dying, sometimes multiple times. I figure hopefully that it at least serves as a learning experience for such vital lessons as 'one medibot, or even three medibots, is not necessarily enough to keep someone alive if you chop all four limbs off', or 'for god's sake stop stapling me, it's not funny and it's not helping', or 'if the patient is telling you to administer atropine and saline and the medical analyzer is telling you they're dying and in shock, maybe you should do that', but I haven't had a confirmed success case yet.

I HAVE managed to teach a couple of people the (incredibly user-friendly!) cloning machine, but so far that's just resulted in me being relegated to the role of medical cadaver. Ah well, baby steps.

Different medics have different styles. I usually ignore patients telling me what to do because I have my own ways of handling situations. For example, if someone's hurt bad and in shock, I prefer to just inject them with epinephrine, since shock usually goes away anyway when it progresses to cardiac issues, which will immediately be addressed by the epi still in the person's system (the advantage being that I don't have to carry around both saline AND epi, thus saving me an inventory slot). If I've got nothing better to do, maybe I'll give them saline or atropine or whatever gourmet custom-order med cocktail they're insisting on, but I've had plenty of people come into Medbay whining that I'm ignoring their alcohol overdose or missing limb or heavy burning, when I'm too busy running between the two people in deep crit I'm trying to save at the same time, one of whom is still on fire, to tell them to take a loving number.

• Locked thread