Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
smoke weed everyday #lunghack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Away all Goats posted:

Just skip the middle man and apply a torch lighter to the bite! Gain instant itch relief as you burn those pesky skin cells away!

This reminds me of Black Salve for some reason.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Farecoal posted:

Oreos are gross to me, unfortunately I can't remember how I achieved this #Lifehacks !!!

Was it because you realized that they're made of high fructose corn syrup and vegetable shortening?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

HI! I'm FutonForensic! Have you ever wanted to have sex with your couch, or an empty bucket of fried chicken? I HAVE WHAT YOU NEED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5kUrRBN_2g

Too explicit for you? Much sorry! Please enjoy this neat trick on how to wash :siren: 2 SPOONS AT ONCE :siren:

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

Please enjoy this neat trick on how to wash :siren: 2 SPOONS AT ONCE :siren:

This is the best one yet.

I still can't quite believe that the secret to washing two spoons at once is to... hold two spoons in one hand and wash them... with the other hand.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dalax posted:

This is the best one yet.

I still can't quite believe that the secret to washing two spoons at once is to... hold two spoons in one hand and wash them... with the other hand.

I would legit pay good money if someone came up with a 'life hack' on how i can wash the concave side of the spoon and not splash water everywhere.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DrBouvenstein posted:

I would legit pay good money if someone came up with a 'life hack' on how i can wash the concave side of the spoon and not splash water everywhere.

:ssh: put soap on a damp rag/sponge and wipe it off

spoons hate this

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

Too explicit for you? Much sorry! Please enjoy this neat trick on how to wash :siren: 2 SPOONS AT ONCE :siren:

I wish she wouldnt talk so fast im trying to write this all down and i have to keep replaying it.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

This actually seems like a cheap way to cool off. If you have a bucket, some foam and a fan you're set.

It's definitely a poor university student sort of thing, but if it works :shrug:

For lovely "hacks" there's this:

I've tried this in four different elevators. Never worked.

I know this is from last page, but this is actually a thing in a lot of elevators in Asia, including the ones in my apt building.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Today's Wondermark is nicely applicable to this thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

razorrozar posted:

:ssh: put soap on a damp rag/sponge and wipe it off

spoons hate this

OK, now rinse off the soap, smartguy. :colbert:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DrBouvenstein posted:

OK, now rinse off the soap, smartguy. :colbert:

Rinse the rag thoroughly in hot water and drape it over the faucet. :smugbert:

holttho
May 21, 2007

Yea, this is a real thing in Korea. It is so simply genius that it is embarrassing we don't do that here in America.

Sometimes, in an elevator that doubles as a freight elevator, you can press your floor button while holding the 'door close' button and it will express to your floor and then remain there open. However, this is usually programmed on-demand by the building itself and it is there expressly for people who are moving, so...

Anti-life-hack: most elevator 'door close' buttons don't do poo poo due to ADA reasons.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DrBouvenstein posted:

Step 1: Don't turn the faucet on full blast
Step 2: Don't angle the spoon so the concave is facing directly upwards

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Flatten it out first, then bend it back after.
Duh.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Of course these are all irrelevant because there is no spoon.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Inzombiac posted:

No lie, I tried(lighting fires with doritos) this last time I went camping and it worked. There was no smell to speak of.

This is from a few pages back, a thing we did in the army was start fires with those small satchels of coffee whitner. Those things are pretty much just powered vegetable oil or some such and go up like gasoline. Also much less useful than Doritos which are actually edible.

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...
I learned an actually useful one this weekend. We went to an all-you-can-eat seafood place. We ate crawfish, shrimp, and blue crab, so we obviously got it all over our hands. The waitress told us to wash our hands with broken up crackers. We took a pack of saltines, broke them to powder, and then basically washed our hands in the dust. It absorbed all the seafood smell and oil, etc. We thought she was screwing with us, but it did work.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Best trick yet.

e:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

He's just so happy to have thought that up.

Is that the fabled cheap supermarket beer?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Steak Justice posted:

Best trick yet.

Jesus loving christ they're actively dangerous.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Would 30 seconds in a the microwave make a spoon hot enough to burn you?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crankit posted:

Would 30 seconds in a the microwave make a spoon hot enough to burn you?

A spoon is shaped so that it refracts and focuses waves. Like micro-waves.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

razorrozar posted:

A spoon is shaped so that it refracts and focuses waves. Like micro-waves.

The blue light coming off is the coldness leaving the spoon.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrVsLT6SuU0

Skip to around 2:30. Also mute it, this guy's annoying as hell.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Schnedwob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrVsLT6SuU0

Skip to around 2:30. Also mute it, this guy's annoying as hell.

The only problem I see here is with the fork. The spoon looks perfectly safe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh wow, I got linked this one on facebook yesterday. Naturally I was thinking it can't work that way, if it was hot enough for long enough to denature the proteins in the bug saliva, it would also denature the proteins in your skin and then you're just setting yourself up for a Helvetica Scenario. This can't possibly work.

Then this afternoon I noticed I had a mosquito bite on my arm. fffff I have spoons, I have hot water, it can't hurt to try it, right? It worked. :stare: It's been about 6 hours and it still doesn't itch. What is this sorcery?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Angela Christine posted:

Oh wow, I got linked this one on facebook yesterday. Naturally I was thinking it can't work that way, if it was hot enough for long enough to denature the proteins in the bug saliva, it would also denature the proteins in your skin and then you're just setting yourself up for a Helvetica Scenario. This can't possibly work.

Then this afternoon I noticed I had a mosquito bite on my arm. fffff I have spoons, I have hot water, it can't hurt to try it, right? It worked. :stare: It's been about 6 hours and it still doesn't itch. What is this sorcery?

Life Hack Hack: you can cut out the middle man by just running mosquito bites under very hot tap water for like 1 second.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tracula posted:

Try it, then. Make sure you record it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

This is from a few pages back, a thing we did in the army was start fires with those small satchels of coffee whitner. Those things are pretty much just powered vegetable oil or some such and go up like gasoline. Also much less useful than Doritos which are actually edible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

Tracula posted:

Christ man, don't microwave metal. It gets way hot. If your ice cream is too cold then just run the spoon under some water or something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^If your ice cream is too hard, turn you freezer down slightly so you don't have to gently caress about next time :eng101:

If you're a massive nerd like me, you buy two small thermal probes to stick to the front of your fridge with the wire running into the machine so you always know what temperature things are.

Little Blue Couch posted:

Life Hack Hack: you can cut out the middle man by just running mosquito bites under very hot tap water for like 1 second.

When I go camping out in the bush, I always takes some clear nail polish because I like to look fabulous if you put it over an insect bite it'll stop it itching.

I've heard it said that the nail polish stops air getting to the bug saliva and stops it oxidising which is what causes the itching. I don't know about that, but it does work.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Jul 16, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Making a paste with baking soda and water works too. Of course, if you've been scratching hard and long enough to break the skin, you're probably better off with the spoon.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I go camping out in the bush, I always takes some clear nail polish because I like to look fabulous if you put it over an insect bite it'll stop it itching.

I've heard it said that the nail polish stops air getting to the bug saliva and stops it oxidising which is what causes the itching. I don't know about that, but it does work.

Or you could carry some dollar store corticosteroid cream which has a method of dulling the itch that is completely understood by science and used by actual doctors.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's called a "joke". C'mon you guys.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Can't imagine being so much of a pussy that a mosquito bite stays on your mind longer than "oh well."

That seems kinda how 99% of life hacks are, mild annoyance "fixes" because nerds get so hung up in their dumb habits they have to have some dumb nerd fix for it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It usually takes more time to do the hack than you'd spend dealing with the problem.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Gorilla Salad posted:

^^If your ice cream is too hard, turn you freezer down slightly so you don't have to gently caress about next time :eng101:

A quick way to tell if your freezer is at the proper temp is by checking if your ice cream is hard as a rock. If your freezer is warm enough to have soft ice cream, then everything else you're trying to store in there is going to get nasty much, much sooner.

I suppose ideally you could split your ice cream up into separate, single serving sized containers as soon as you get it home, while it's still soft from the trip from the store.

Actually, I might just try that the next time I buy ice cream.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

walkinginmysleep posted:

Every once in a while I'll be waiting for the elevator in my building and it'll just completely skip my floor. Whenever that happens I remember that elevator express mode lifehack and just silently curse whatever selfish prick is inside the elevator.
People are generally just terrible at lifts. I work on the fifth floor of a building so I use the lift a lot and see people doing it wrong almost every time.

At busy times (lunch, end of the day, etc.) they'll press both the up and down call buttons because that makes the lift stop at your floor no matter which way it's headed. It also means that if it's going the wrong way you'll go that way first, stop back at the floor you started on, then go the right way, saving you absolutely no time and slowing down everyone else.

When a number of people are getting in, the first person will immediately press the button for the floor they want, making the doors start to close on the people still entering. The doors stop closing and reopen when they sense the people, of course, but it makes the lift delay before it will let the doors try to close again so everyone has to wait for that.

There are a lot of people on the floor so sometimes one of the two lifts will fill up with some people still waiting. As the doors start to close, someone will press the call button because they want the other lift to come. This doesn't work. The lift can't tell how full it is, so what happens is the doors of the full lift just open again, and you have to wait out the delay before they start to close again. You have to wait for the first lift to leave before you can call the second one.

Also, people taking the lift when the stairs are the quicker, easier option. At the end of the day you're on the fifth floor, going down, and there's already a crowd around the lifts. By the time the first lift has arrived, filled up, and started moving and you can call the second lift, you could already be on the ground floor if you just took the stairs.

darkhand posted:

Can't imagine being so much of a pussy that a mosquito bite stays on your mind longer than "oh well."
They affect different people differently. I'm like you, I barely notice them. Some people have much stronger reactions though. It's really not the same experience for everyone.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mr. Beefhead posted:

I suppose ideally you could split your ice cream up into separate, single serving sized containers as soon as you get it home, while it's still soft from the trip from the store.

Actually, I might just try that the next time I buy ice cream.

Life Hack: When you do, take a picture of it and type your procedure on it in impact font so it can be recycled for the Really Stupid Life Hacks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Life hack: when you have a mosquito bite, microwave a spoon and press it on the bite for 30 seconds. Be sure to take a microwave and a generator on camping trips.

You're scratching your arm while impatiently holding a spoon over a candle flame, you better make drat sure no police are around.