Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

I mean stuff like how Kurt Russel, Kevin Costner, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Sacha Baron Cohen were all supposed to be in the movie, bro. Or how Jonah Hill was in the movie, quit and then came back. Or how Tarantino got so tired of people quitting the movie that he started cutting and combining characters instead of recasting.

Tarantino wasn't innocent of casting fuckery himself in Django Unchained: apparently Sid Haig's agent was told that he'd definitely got the part of Mr. Stonesipher but Tarantino gave it to David Steen, supposedly as a burn against Haig for turning down the role of Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I forgot to mention that a lot of this stuff wasn't happening before the movie started filming but like 6 months out from release when it already had trailers and stuff out.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Yeah those are really good subtle moments. My favorite was Leonardo DiCaprio being cast. It was so subtle because I once saw him in Titanic and I was like woah.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

toxicsunset posted:

This is so subtle that they included an entire scene where he opens the bible and there is a message written from Andy that says "You were right, Salvation did lie within" you obtuse gently caress

:golfclap:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In the man in the Iron Mask both the king and the prisoner are played by Leonardo DiCaprio. It's because they are twin brothers.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Wild T posted:

* That and he's a manipulative rear end in a top hat who needs to feel in control of everyone around him, much like Schultz's character in Inglourious Basterds.

My pet theory is that Candie is directly written as a tongue-in-cheek takedown of Landa - there are several scenes with him that mirror the Landa scenes in Basterds. Most notably there's the bit where he offers Schultz a drink, and then brings out his own huge flashy drink, just like the pipe in the first scene of IB. With Landa it's an expression of his superiority and absolute control over the situation. Candie does the same thing - slightly reframed, the move makes him look like a tacky idiot, even though as far as the audience knows he may be just as clued-in as Landa.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
See Im right.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

toxicsunset posted:

This is so subtle that they included an entire scene where he opens the bible and there is a message written from Andy that says "You were right, Salvation did lie within" you obtuse gently caress

For a real subtle moment from the same scene, when the Warden flips open the Bible, the first page on which the hammer carve-out starts?

Exodus.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
American Pie: The school's team name is the Trailblazers (ie first timers).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

burnsep posted:

I'm not convinced it was a pride issue- I always got the sense that Schultz had simply reached his limit on how much horror he could witness and that Candie's sadism made him a monster he had to kill. His discipline held out only until he had to treat Candie with respect.
Personally I watch the film imagining that Schultz has Aspergers or some sort of social anxiety disorder and just can't handle the social gesture. I await the E/N thread.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The real answer is that as a dentist Schultz had a professional obligation to destroy Candyland no matter the cost.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh jeez that choice in names must have been on purpose right?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

Yes, I thought that was pretty obvious. The dentist/bounty hunter who rooted out the corruption of a man named Candy is pretty much Lit 101 level reading comprehension stuff. Not trying to be rude, it's a movie so things like that can easily get missed, but all the names in the film are pretty descriptive. Django actually means 'I awaken' too, which fits the character's story arc quite well.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

bamhand posted:

Also, his first targets in the movie are the Brittle brothers.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

muscles like this? posted:

I mean stuff like how Kurt Russel, Kevin Costner, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Sacha Baron Cohen were all supposed to be in the movie, bro. Or how Jonah Hill was in the movie, quit and then came back. Or how Tarantino got so tired of people quitting the movie that he started cutting and combining characters instead of recasting.

To be fair, both Costner and Cohen had to drop out because of scheduling. Keep in mind that Cohen was going to be in exactly one scene and as he explains, he was still editing The Dictator and was falling behind on it, so he could either quite Django or quit Les Mis. Hill agreed to the movie, then thought he wasn't going to be able to, and then went back to it again. The only real issue was with Russell, who legitimately did quit production. Instead he just gave his lines to Walton Goggins.

The casting issues for that movie were blown out of proportion, with only Russell actually leaving during filming.

And of course there's a point to having a Francophile and a European in the movie.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

DrVenkman posted:

To be fair, both Costner and Cohen had to drop out because of scheduling. Keep in mind that Cohen was going to be in exactly one scene and as he explains, he was still editing The Dictator and was falling behind on it, so he could either quite Django or quit Les Mis. Hill agreed to the movie, then thought he wasn't going to be able to, and then went back to it again. The only real issue was with Russell, who legitimately did quit production. Instead he just gave his lines to Walton Goggins.

The casting issues for that movie were blown out of proportion, with only Russell actually leaving during filming.

And of course there's a point to having a Francophile and a European in the movie.

I'm curious as to why Kurt Russell left- he and Tarantino still seem to be on good terms, at least, since I believe Russell plays one of the leads in the Cannes reading of the Hateful Eight script (which seems to indicate that Tarantino wants him to play the character when/if he does make the movie).

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Was just passing the time with Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I never noticed that when the Katayanagi Twins blow the roof off the venue you can see the moon. If you look the hole that Todd punched in it is visible.

KoB
May 1, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yes, I thought that was pretty obvious. The dentist/bounty hunter who rooted out the corruption of a man named Candy is pretty much Lit 101 level reading comprehension stuff. Not trying to be rude, it's a movie so things like that can easily get missed, but all the names in the film are pretty descriptive. Django actually means 'I awaken' too, which fits the character's story arc quite well.

God drat it :negative:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SkeletonHero posted:

Also, his first targets in the movie are the Brittle brothers.

A gang of outlaws, Peanut, Pecan and Walnut.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Transformers: Age of Extinction, Mark Wahlberg goes to a movie theater that has been closed to buy some old equipments. The old guy who worked there was with him and complained that new movies are just sequels and remakes. He then points to a poster for 1966's El Dorado and that he likes the movie (or that it's a good movie, I forgot about that).

The irony here is that El Dorado is thought by many to be a remake of Rio Bravo, and both of them were directed by Howard Hawks. Hawks later directed Rio Lobo, which is again very similar to Rio Bravo and El Dorado.

Hawks also directed 1932's Scarface and was allegedly the real main director of 1951's The Thing From Another World, both movies that have updated versions that are more popular and considered classics now.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
There's a similar thing in back to the future 3; there were tons of similar complaints about sequels at the time, so the drive-in theater Marty uses as a staging spot for the jump back to 1885 is showing only sequels that came out in 1955

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Riptor posted:

There's a similar thing in back to the future 3; there were tons of similar complaints about sequels at the time, so the drive-in theater Marty uses as a staging spot for the jump back to 1885 is showing only sequels that came out in 1955

And if I remember correctly, during the "Clint who?" line there is a movie poster behind Doc for a movie Clint Eastwood had a bit part in.

Edit: I forgot I already brought this up many pages ago:

Cat Hatter posted:

When Marty is in 1955 saying that "Clint Eastwood never wore anything like this" there are two movie posters in the background for movies in which Clint Eastwood had uncredited roles.
Carry on then.

Cat Hatter has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Jul 11, 2014

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

And if I remember correctly, during the "Clint who?" line there is a movie poster behind Doc for a movie Clint Eastwood had a bit part in.

Edit: I forgot I already brought this up many pages ago:

Carry on then.

Not the first time they did that; in the first one, when Marty is walking around town confused, he passes a movie theater with a sign that says (IIRC) "Cattle Queen - Starring Ronald Reagan"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I never knew until right now, but the last organization in WALL-E's credits, after the Pixar skit, is BnL.

EDIT: this could also go into a Creepy Movie Moments thread, because something about the BnL logo popping up with its canned "Bee Enn Elllll!" sound is mildly disturbing to my ear. Maybe it's because it's without any background music or something..

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Jul 13, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

In Transformers: Age of Extinction, Mark Wahlberg goes to a movie theater that has been closed to buy some old equipments. The old guy who worked there was with him and complained that new movies are just sequels and remakes. He then points to a poster for 1966's El Dorado and that he likes the movie (or that it's a good movie, I forgot about that).

The irony here is that El Dorado is thought by many to be a remake of Rio Bravo, and both of them were directed by Howard Hawks. Hawks later directed Rio Lobo, which is again very similar to Rio Bravo and El Dorado.

Hawks also directed 1932's Scarface and was allegedly the real main director of 1951's The Thing From Another World, both movies that have updated versions that are more popular and considered classics now.

Taking this to another level: Rio Bravo was remade three times by John Carpenter, all in different settings, and one of those remakes (Assault on Precinct 13) has itself been remade.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched the HD version of 2001, and noticed that in the scene where Dave blasts his way back into the ship, once he's successfully gotten the outer door shut he has a triumphant smile on his face. The camera then immediately cuts back to HAL and lingers.

Also, and this is unconfirmed, I read that when Frank and HAL are playing chess HAL tells Frank that he's lost in two or three moves and calls them incorrectly, which Frank nods and submits to. I'll check it out next time I watch to confirm.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Professor Shark posted:

I watched the HD version of 2001, and noticed that in the scene where Dave blasts his way back into the ship, once he's successfully gotten the outer door shut he has a triumphant smile on his face. The camera then immediately cuts back to HAL and lingers.

Also, and this is unconfirmed, I read that when Frank and HAL are playing chess HAL tells Frank that he's lost in two or three moves and calls them incorrectly, which Frank nods and submits to. I'll check it out next time I watch to confirm.

Please actually do that thing about chess, because I do not know enough about chess to know if that's right either. And also now I really want to watch that movie again.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's one of the first signs that HAL is able to lie and has been lying about the mission. Some think that HAL does it on purpose so that the astronauts will get curious and find out about the mission. The reason for this being that HAL is programmed to be perfectly helpful, and keeping the mission a secret isn't exactly helpful, so HAL begins to do things to get the humans to realize something is amiss.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

Taking this to another level: Rio Bravo was remade three times by John Carpenter, all in different settings, and one of those remakes (Assault on Precinct 13) has itself been remade.
What's the third film here? I'm guessing the second is Ghosts of Mars.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

N. Senada posted:

Please actually do that thing about chess, because I do not know enough about chess to know if that's right either. And also now I really want to watch that movie again.

I had a Chessmaster game, I think 2000, that included this trivia. The game included many famous matches you could watch move by move and they provided brief commentary on each play at the bottom. HAL and Frank was one of the few fictitious games in there and they said as much at the end.

I took their word for it. I don't know enough about chess either because I played Super Mario instead. And I hadn't heard the "giving them a sign" thing, Watermelon. That's a cool idea!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

What's the third film here? I'm guessing the second is Ghosts of Mars.

Prince of Darkness. His most underrated film in my opinion.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Prince of Darkness. His most underrated film in my opinion.

Yeah that was a good one.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I don't get the relevance of this. What do you think it's suppose to convey?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

A triumphant show of human emotion vs a cold, programmed, murderous AI makes for good cinematography.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

I hadn't noticed it before and

HonorableTB posted:

A triumphant show of human emotion vs a cold, programmed, murderous AI makes for good cinematography.

HAL thought that Dave was beaten, unable to anticipate that he would do something so unconventional and risky (then mockingly relish his triumph with some real human Pride). It connected well with the chess game where Frank just gave up when HAL told him he was beaten.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's one of the first signs that HAL is able to lie and has been lying about the mission. Some think that HAL does it on purpose so that the astronauts will get curious and find out about the mission. The reason for this being that HAL is programmed to be perfectly helpful, and keeping the mission a secret isn't exactly helpful, so HAL begins to do things to get the humans to realize something is amiss.

That's loving awesome. Really, that's one of the greatest things I love about genuinely good movies. The add subtle moments that really deepen the plot and allow for actual analysis. I mean, the whole lone/twin pine(s) thing from Back to the Future is great, but some things like this are on an entirely different level. They don't simply foreshadow or whatever, but actually add to a character or plot in an unexpected way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool, there is a wiki entry for this scene

quote:

14... Bxg2 15. Re1 Qf3

Here HAL says: "I'm sorry Frank, I think you missed it: queen to bishop three, bishop takes queen, knight takes bishop, mate." But HAL's description of the queen move is not technically accurate—the move is correctly described in the descriptive chess notation as "queen to bishop six". Also, while HAL describes a forced checkmate in two moves, it is actually a checkmate in four; Poole could delay mate by playing 16.Qc8 Rxc8 17.h3 Nxh3+ 18.Kh2 Ng4#.[3]

0–1

Poole resigns without questioning HAL's analysis.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

It connected well with the chess game where Frank just gave up when HAL told him he was beaten.
Oh, this is the part I needed. I didn't realize the connection you were trying to make.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looking back, I "thought" that part but didn't actually type it, sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Taeke posted:

That's loving awesome. Really, that's one of the greatest things I love about genuinely good movies. The add subtle moments that really deepen the plot and allow for actual analysis. I mean, the whole lone/twin pine(s) thing from Back to the Future is great, but some things like this are on an entirely different level. They don't simply foreshadow or whatever, but actually add to a character or plot in an unexpected way.

I agree, and it's got me wondering now if there's any secret significance in the moves that Roy uses to help J.F Sebastian beat Tyrell in their chess game in Blade Runner.