Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ModeSix posted:

Exactly this. How the hell do you guys control the car so well that you want it to go even faster?

Toss poison capsules in the areas you're going to be driving your car?
Still wouldn't want to go faster though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You don't slam your foot on the accelerator as soon as you drive, y'know.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
It would be awesome if roads would function like rails, so if you just press forward you'd be following the roads. Could still leave it with A/D of course. That'd make it so you could actually use it pretty well to navigate around your base or whatever while still being more flexible than a train.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That would work so long as the road doesn't have intersections. Maybe have you hold a button down while driving to 'stick' to the road, left and right operate similarly to how trains do on choosing which track to take, let go to drive normally.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
That works.

I also put in a suggestion to have the car accept modules. Drop some Speed3's in there and :rice: at the cost of all your fuel, or put in an Effectivity so you can speed economically.

Electric Trains that have module slots would be pretty great too.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Talking about roads makes me hope we can one day pour concrete over everything, maybe have some vanity stuff afterwards like neat bushes atop raised slabs.

Just give me a machine that slowly spews out concrete like "The Creep" and pisses of the natives something fierce. :black101: gently caress your planet, you will submit to me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speed boost when walking on concrete or paved tiles or whatever.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Finally, true protection against sandworms.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Inhuman monstrosities beset us from all sides, only industry can hold them back. Great slabs of stone shall replace the dirt; preventing the natives from striking with burrowers or planting their hideous structures. From the stone comes metal and fire to burn and kill any biters that try to stop me from paving the lands with grey.

WELCOME TO MY WORLD OF CONCRETE AND STEEL!

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Finally, true protection against sandworms.

They *have* cited Dune II as one of their art inspirations...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I love how this game makes me feel about just like "Nope, don't like this lay out. SHUT IT DOWN." and just tear poo poo out and try a different style. I'd love a more complex auto save thing, so instead of just having three auto saves every 2 minutes I could keep mile stone saves, like when i started playing that day, ten minute, twenty minute, etc type saves.

Because sometimes tearing ALL OF THIS poo poo OUT gets kinda old and robots just ain't cut out for pipe work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always keep a couple factories pumping out grenades so I can wipe down my factory as needed.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sage Grimm posted:

That would work so long as the road doesn't have intersections. Maybe have you hold a button down while driving to 'stick' to the road, left and right operate similarly to how trains do on choosing which track to take, let go to drive normally.
If you've ever played GTA 1 or 2, you'd know that having auto-alignment on your car while "in-lane" is exactly what Factorio roads could benefit from without having to worry about going off path and crashing while still allowing full maneuverability.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I always keep a couple factories pumping out grenades so I can wipe down my factory as needed.

Noooooooooooooo :ohdear:
That's what 1000 construction bots are for!

One thing I like to do is once I have my rocket defense ready, I have my bots tear down my entire base, down to the grass. Just me, 30 chests, 20 roboports, and a rocket defense.

On that note, did you know bots will try to sort things into chests automatically? I end up with one chest full of iron, one full of chips, one full of modules, one full of assemblers, etc

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I want a mod to make me make player-character sized robots, who walk around, need guns, armor, and bullets, and can be transported by train/car. Because I want to automate alien artifact recovery. (Also i think it would be neat to automate GUN and ARMOR manufacturing and not just BULLETS).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SpookyLizard posted:

I want a mod to make me make player-character sized robots, who walk around, need guns, armor, and bullets, and can be transported by train/car. Because I want to automate alien artifact recovery. (Also i think it would be neat to automate GUN and ARMOR manufacturing and not just BULLETS).

The words you are looking for are BATTLE MECHS :black101:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to make robot armies that just walk in a direction, shoot at everything, and when they run out of ammo, they come back. That'd be sweet.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I don't care on the wording. I just want to load soldiers by the inserter load into my trains, and ship 'em to the frontlines, to combat the evil, communist, Biter Menace. I mean, you make them use some steel, an electric motor, some circuits, maybe a gear or two, or maybe even an inserter (that would be fantastic). Capable of being given simple direction (similar to blueprints, just need to build a robo-soldier port somewhere to give them an 'operating' range. Give 'im a SMG+P, some caps, and/or a rocket launcher.

Give them... cars, they'd become the ultimate menace.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I could give that a shot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Someone suggested a "command tower" earlier, where you could enter and start playing RTS style. Drop ghost objects anywhere within a multiscreen radius, and drop command beacons for deployed robotroops to path towards.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Forget speed or whatever modules on cars, let me put a cowcatcher on it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think it's pretty amusing that the trunk of a car holds as much stuff as 4 train cars. I kind of understand why, the car can be used to drive somewhere and cart enough materials to setup a new whatever, and the train is for logistics, but it's just kind of funny.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Lets just go all the way and allow the player to assemble and pilot something along these lines

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Neruz posted:

Lets just go all the way and allow the player to assemble and pilot something along these lines

Not enough Dakka. You need to make multiple tanks, then put them together to make a baneblade.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SpookyLizard posted:

Not enough Dakka. You need to make multiple tanks, then put them together to make a baneblade.

Pay close attention to the size of the trees; that tank is already Baneblade scale. Next level up is Titan scale.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is also acceptable.

E: I really do like the options the game gives you, but they can be overwhelming sometimes. I need MORE IRON (as it should be), the factory always craves more iron. I have no idea if want to just upgrade to belts to turbo belts and feed more processed iron into it, inject more iron in down the line. Should I start producing modules, and inject them into my miners to get MORE IRON out of them? Do i want to bring the trains in down the right side of the factory, and rework my mines? Or do I want to bring it in on the left side, and potentially just have all of my factoring just duck under the rail lines? Loops or two engines? I know i should have unload the car from both sides. Should I build electric furnaces up at the mines and ship the iron, or just the ore? There's no copper at the iron deposit i'm eyeing, but there is some mixed in with another deposit, and maybe there i'll start producing green circuits and ship those down wholesale instead of lesser parts.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 15, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm tending toward a weird mix of centralization and decentralization. Nowadays I have one goliath Foundry that ships metals everywhere (back to the science lab (that grows out of the starting base) and main module factory) that ends up being some 100-odd furnaces that takes ores from 4-5 trains running at any one time, plus coal and fuel to keep the furnaces working. I've drifted away from using electric furnaces purely based on their size, since now that I'm going higher-scale production, 100 furnaces take a lot of space.

My current challenge run is "all techs + 10 rocket defenses, high resources, as soon as possible", and :holymoley: do you need a lot of plastic to run 20-odd advchip factories running at 205% speed (3 Prod+1 Speed, plus two beacons with speed). I'm also keeping 44 labs running, which seems to be nearly the maximum one inserter can feed science to a belt (using a chest as a buffer). It's so great to see the whole thing burn through objectives and modules...

E: 16 hours in

E2: 19 hours, 4 done, all research complete, 100 Prod/Sped modules and no more processors, eh close enough

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 16, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SpookyLizard posted:

This is also acceptable.

E: I really do like the options the game gives you, but they can be overwhelming sometimes. I need MORE IRON (as it should be), the factory always craves more iron. I have no idea if want to just upgrade to belts to turbo belts and feed more processed iron into it, inject more iron in down the line. Should I start producing modules, and inject them into my miners to get MORE IRON out of them? Do i want to bring the trains in down the right side of the factory, and rework my mines? Or do I want to bring it in on the left side, and potentially just have all of my factoring just duck under the rail lines? Loops or two engines? I know i should have unload the car from both sides. Should I build electric furnaces up at the mines and ship the iron, or just the ore? There's no copper at the iron deposit i'm eyeing, but there is some mixed in with another deposit, and maybe there i'll start producing green circuits and ship those down wholesale instead of lesser parts.

The answer to your all of your questions is 'yes' do all of that.

Also if you ever get bored of your current factory and want to try something new but don't feel like rebuilding everything; grab some basic construction bits, some munitions and the car and go for a drive; the world is infinite so it isn't that hard to find a decent place to set up a new base (once the natives have been evicted)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
While doing my "clean the base while the countdown ticks down" habit, I saw the train cars I used to hold wire to build chips. Each car holds 4k wire.

Pictured: 32,000 wire, as I popped the train cars. :v: The game hung for ~45 seconds each.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

While doing my "clean the base while the countdown ticks down" habit, I saw the train cars I used to hold wire to build chips. Each car holds 4k wire.

Pictured: 32,000 wire, as I popped the train cars. :v: The game hung for ~45 seconds each.
I love that the game does this and I hope they never force stacking.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Can you shape the item burst via walls and stuff or does it just show up on the other side of buildings? Like if you a pipe out of walls does it burst out of the ends or just everywhere?
If you can shape it someone could probably make a zero latency transporter, or just a way to fill up a new conveyor quickly.

Hel fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 16, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I love that the game does this and I hope they never force stacking.

Pretty sure it's intentional, because the engine supports having stacks-of-greater-than-one on the ground, but only if you explicitly tell it to. So it'll probably stay.

Hel posted:

Can you shape the item burst via walls and stuff or does it just show up on the other side of buildings? Like if you a pipe out of walls does it burst out of the ends or just everywhere?
If you can shape it someone could probably make a zero latency transporter, or just a way to fill up a new conveyor quickly.

Stuff shows up on the other side of walls (or whatever).

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

How do you get construction bots to disassemble your base? Is that what the red blueprint is for? :downs:

edit: apparently that's exactly what it's for

Will the bots clean up resources that are just laying around on the ground during a cleanup? and will they take items from the storage chests and put them in the requester chests as long as the requester chest quota hasn't been met? And will they things from the storage chests to build with?

ie: I deconstruct my steam engines and they place them in a storage chest. Can I then place a build order for a steam engine and have them take the components(boilers etc.) from a storage chest to build it?

This is my first time making it this far in terms of research progression and my base is a huge mess and needs rebuilding.

I also built the Von Neuman machine where the bots are perpetually building more bots and neatly placing them into a drone silo.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 16, 2014

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

ModeSix posted:

How do you get construction bots to disassemble your base? Is that what the red blueprint is for? :downs:

edit: apparently that's exactly what it's for

Will the bots clean up resources that are just laying around on the ground during a cleanup? and will they take items from the storage chests and put them in the requester chests as long as the requester chest quota hasn't been met? And will they things from the storage chests to build with?

ie: I deconstruct my steam engines and they place them in a storage chest. Can I then place a build order for a steam engine and have them take the components(boilers etc.) from a storage chest to build it?

They'll only pick up loose items on belts, then place them into requester chests (first) or storage chests and the bots will use items in storage chests for additional building requests.

Hoover up part of your factory and it looks a lot like a real factory which has had its machines, rollers etc. removed. Parts and materials are scattered everywhere. Total realism would add oil stains, several gloves and small burned patches that are a result of ad hoc experiments with acetylene.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Construction bots, if able, will bring things that have been Redprinted over to Blueprints directly. They can also fulfill orders on your logistics bar!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

Construction bots, if able, will bring things that have been Redprinted over to Blueprints directly. They can also fulfill orders on your logistics bar!
If you don't have an endgame moment where 20+ logistics bots are constantly feeding you your every whim as you raise your arms in the air yelling "Yes, come to me my pretties! Come!" then I don't even want to know you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I love driving abck into my base to be met with a swarm of robots and needed supplies. It almost makes me sad to be so constantly tearing the place down.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone check my math on this:
- A standard (no modules) chemical plant produces 1 solid fuel (25 MJ) every 2.4 seconds
- a boiler burns 390 kw.
- 25 MJ / 390 KW / 2.4s = 26.7 - or a single chemical plant can theoretically support 26 boilers.

Does that sound right?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Why do you hate your CPU? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Thel posted:

Can someone check my math on this:
- A standard (no modules) chemical plant produces 1 solid fuel (25 MJ) every 2.4 seconds
- a boiler burns 390 kw.
- 25 MJ / 390 KW / 2.4s = 26.7 - or a single chemical plant can theoretically support 26 boilers.

Does that sound right?

Almost. The boilers operate at 50% "effectivity," and that step happens between the fuel and the energy "use." A boiler imparts 390kJ/s to water, but it burns 780 kJ of fuel to do it. So you're looking at more like 13.35 boilers.

On the other hand, one steam engine doesn't quite need all 14 boilers of the recommended setupu (only 13.077), so that's a pretty good matchup, really.