Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

-Blackadder- posted:

What would be a worthwile upgrade from a thinkpad x120e? I know the x120e's are considered to be quite good functional little laptops. And it is for the most part. I dumped 6gb of RAM into it but it's still a bit slow on multitasking and the screen is smaller than I'd like. I don't do gaming, just general use.

Is there something out there that's a large enough upgrade, without being too spendy, to make spending money on a new laptop worth it.

An i3-based Thinkpad like the x121 would be a huge boost. Even with lots of RAM and an SSD the AMD chips in those x120e's were never very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theodrin
Oct 14, 2006

SUUUPERRR!!!~

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there a laptop with a 15.6" screen that has:

-Great battery life (~8 hours)
-Full numpad
-switchable graphics
-Isn't gaming-themed

I will be working out of a hotel room for a month and want something of a desktop replacement but definitely not a 17" monster. Budget is $1,500 but I would consider spending more for the perfect laptop though.

A t540p thinkpad with a 9cell battery looks like the best fit for that.

There are other options out there but they don't have the battery life (asus g550jk -~6hrs, sager np8268 ~4hrs)

theodrin
Oct 14, 2006

SUUUPERRR!!!~
Anyone have any experience with the ASUS UX series of laptops? I'm looking at a UX302LA open box deal for around ~650-700. I'm not concerned about the hybrid HDD or RAM as those are upgradeable. Rather i'm looking to find out if there is any build quality quirks or defects with it. Thanks.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

-Full numpad
-switchable graphics
-Isn't gaming-themed

I will be working out of a hotel room for a month and want something of a desktop replacement but definitely not a 17" monster. Budget is $1,500 but I would consider spending more for the perfect laptop though.

Cheapo option would be the Dell Latitude 15 3000 or whatever it's called (the E3540, says the URL). Maybe the battery life isn't so great though -- well it does have a ULV cpu so maybe it is.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Bear in mind there's NO HDMI on the E3540. And while it is cheap you will need to add RAM and SSD yourself.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Bob Morales posted:

An i3-based Thinkpad like the x121 would be a huge boost. Even with lots of RAM and an SSD the AMD chips in those x120e's were never very fast.

Where would I find this for sale?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

-Blackadder- posted:

Where would I find this for sale?

Used, I guess. I don't see them on lenovo's site

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Agent York Morgan posted:

I'm looking for a laptop, because I'm going to study mechanical engineering. I am going to bring that thing with me everyday. I will be using Solidworks and that program only supports the Nvidia Quadro and AMD Firepro GPUs.

My budget is 1100 euros, with that kind of money I could get a new Lenovo W530 with 16GB ram, FHD screen, I7 3740QM and a Nvidia Quadro k1000m from the lenovo outlet. I could also get a zBook 14, which has a 256GB SSD, a Firepro m4100, 8GB of ram and a i7 4600u, but it is much lighter. What do you guys recommend? Do I really need a “professional” GPU? Do I really miss out on a lot of performance with an ULV i7 CPU with Solidworks? I don't care for gaming, I got a desktop at home.

edit: The w530 has a 500GB 7200RPM HDD and the Zbook 14 has an FHD screen.

The pro gpu cards help with some apps but I had run solidworks "ok" with some gaming cards with lightweight stuff [simple parts/sheet metal fabrication being sent to water jet and a machining center] .

I had a slightly higher budget than you and I spent about $1670/1220 euros and got a Zbook 15 with 32GB, K1000M, i7 4800QM and a 256GB SSD with enough room to add another SDD or another HD. I almost went with the zbook 14 but some of my fluid sim/dynamics software only runs on CUDA which rules out fireGL plus I wanted a thunderbolt port. The build quality on both the zbooks was very nice and solid, mine should be showing up tomorrow.

I tried to get the Lenovo W5x0 series laptop, but I couldn't source a refurb unit in a configuration/timeframe I wanted.

I also run Houdini/InventorCAD/CAM Maya and Nuke, and nuke would benefit from the pro cards with overlay/UI performance.

I think you'll come out with a winner no matter which way you go with the options you listed.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 15, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

-Full numpad
-switchable graphics
-Isn't gaming-themed

I've done long stay business trips - just buy an LCD monitor, keyboard, and mouse and chuck it once you're done.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I've done long stay business trips - just buy an LCD monitor, keyboard, and mouse and chuck it once you're done.

The problem is I will be bed-ridden as well. I'll have a little tray "desktop" to use but that's it.

theodrin posted:

A t540p thinkpad with a 9cell battery looks like the best fit for that.

There are other options out there but they don't have the battery life (asus g550jk -~6hrs, sager np8268 ~4hrs)

I've owned a lot of Thinkpads but I heard that they've taken a hit in material quality/solidness over the last few gens. I'd prefer something that feels really solid and well-built.

How is Dell nowadays? The XPS 15 looks nice with the exception of the numpad, but I suppose I can get an external one.

The Asus looks really nice though, I'll have to look into battery life a bit more. My flights are very long but have power at each seat so I could probably loosen that requirement too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I got my Lenovo U330 today and I have to say the OP is right about not recommending the consumer line Lenovos.

-pretty terrible display, despite being advertised as an IPS
-almost constant fan noise
-one of the rubber feet is short (by about 2 credit cards on top of one another), so the entire thing wobbles

The first two I could probably live with, but the wobble is probably gonna be why it's going back.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Is there any good ultrabook that's comparable to a macbook air but has windows (preferrably 7, but not required)? I can't find any that aren't useless touchscreens, windows 8, terrible trackpads, or over $1300. The best bets seem to be the Ideapad U430 but again its a lenovo and touchscreen which is going downhill. Maybe the key to PC ultrabooks now is to buy a slighlty larger laptop and just swap out the hard drive for an SSD, or get a macbook and format it purely for windows.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The U330 is kind of what you're describing, I wouldn't recommend it.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Biggest human being Ever posted:

The U330 is kind of what you're describing, I wouldn't recommend it.

Exactly, there's nothing good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Touchscreens and Windows 8 are required elements to be an ultrabook.

(Also don't run Windows 7 on a laptop in 2014.)

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Touchscreens and Windows 8 are required elements to be an ultrabook.

(Also don't run Windows 7 on a laptop in 2014.)

I just want everything exactly like a macbook air but with no proprietary parts for easier replacements/repairs and windows.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

anne frank fanfic posted:

I just want everything exactly like a macbook air but with no proprietary parts for easier replacements/repairs and windows.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist. The closest option would be a Thinkpad x240 with a HD screen without the touchscreen option, but you might not like the trackpad and it's out of your price range.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Mac isn't the only one with proprietary parts. Pretty much all thin and light notebooks are non-upgradable. RAM soldered to mobo; complete disassembly required to switch out the SSD, etc. It's how they save space.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

AriTheDog posted:

I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist. The closest option would be a Thinkpad x240 with a HD screen without the touchscreen option, but you might not like the trackpad and it's out of your price range.

I'll check it out, thanks.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Mac isn't the only one with proprietary parts. Pretty much all thin and light notebooks are non-upgradable. RAM soldered to mobo; complete disassembly required to switch out the SSD, etc. It's how they save space.

That makes sense, which is unfortunate since I was thinking of getting an Ideapad and swapping in an SSD.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

I'll check it out, thanks.
I have one. It was a little tricky to get inside but I swapped the HDD for an SSD and the 4GB stick of RAM for 8GB in under half an hour.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lolcano Eruption posted:

If anything, there's a ton of used/broken Macs out there to get parts from. Instead of some random HP/Sony ultrabook that they didn't sell that many of, you can actually find replacement or upgrade parts.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I have one. It was a little tricky to get inside but I swapped the HDD for an SSD and the 4GB stick of RAM for 8GB in under half an hour.

Price may be too high unfortunately. I'm looking at a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E545 and just putting in more ram and SSD like you said. It's not ideal however.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Price may be too high unfortunately. I'm looking at a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E545 and just putting in more ram and SSD like you said. It's not ideal however.

You missed a whole slew of 545 refurbs for ~ 50% off retail. I picked up one but won't be able to use it until the 5th of August.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
I'm starting grad school in three weeks, and looking to grab a laptop. At my last job, I had a 14" (?) T440s that was just great. But will it be overkill now?

I'm looking for a laptop that's lightweight, sturdy enough to carry to class every day in the snow, can crush excel, Matlab, and STATA/SPSS models, and can keep up to speed with ordinary HD video streaming. T440s will fit the bill, I know, but once I spec it out with a baseline SSD, the IPS display, and ac wireless, it starts breaching the higher end of my budget. So I'm wondering if there's another recommendation that might let me get away with less that I haven't considered, other than just going hog wild and getting a MacBook.

Bonus if I can run Ableton on it for shits and giggles.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Get an MBA or MBP (or Surface Pro 3 if you're open to note-taking on a tablet).
They're more than sufficient for any kind of workload that b-school would entail.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:toot:

After spending a few days trulling on the Lenovo Outlet, managed to snag a y510p for ~$600.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

theodrin posted:

Anyone have any experience with the ASUS UX series of laptops? I'm looking at a UX302LA open box deal for around ~650-700. I'm not concerned about the hybrid HDD or RAM as those are upgradeable. Rather i'm looking to find out if there is any build quality quirks or defects with it. Thanks.

Goddamn that's quite the deal. None of the reviews I've read mention anything like that, but all electronics can have assembly line issues that'll warrant an exchange. In my experience, ASUS has great customer service for this sort of thing. At that price I'd go for it, but keep in mind I'd be installing a different OS immediately.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Genocyber posted:

:toot:

After spending a few days trulling on the Lenovo Outlet, managed to snag a y510p for ~$600.

drat, nice snag

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

shrike82 posted:

Get an MBA or MBP (or Surface Pro 3 if you're open to note-taking on a tablet).
They're more than sufficient for any kind of workload that b-school would entail.

I think a numpad might be a good idea for business school actually. Y'know, spreadsheets and all that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any spreadsheet work required for MBA financial accounting classes won't require substantial manual data entry of numbers.

I'd focus more on something lightweight and with good battery life - MBAs/MBPs are great. If he needs to use Windows applications, I'd also recommend using Parallels over Bootcamp.

(I'm doing an MBA and recently completed the CFA).

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

shrike82 posted:

Any spreadsheet work required for MBA financial accounting classes won't require substantial manual data entry of numbers.

I'd focus more on something lightweight and with good battery life - MBAs/MBPs are great. If he needs to use Windows applications, I'd also recommend using Parallels over Bootcamp.

(I'm doing an MBA and recently completed the CFA).

That's what I'm thinking, with the only downsides to this being the extra cost (since I'd have to pay for a windows license too), and it being the first mac I've owned since the G3.

Am I going to be the only fool that shows up to the first class without a macbook if I go with the Lenovo?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

No one's going to care what laptop you use and while there's a sizeable Apple contingent on my end at least, you see a lot of people using other brands.

I have an SP3 myself.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I definitely wouldn't want to be dealing with spreadsheets on a 1440x900 display - 1080p (or 1920x1200 on an rMBP) is a far better option

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
How up to date is the OP on specific laptop recommendations? I'm looking for a laptop I can use for video editing (single and dual cam HD video but not any/many effects and no rendering) and some light gaming (Dota 2, BL2, Civ 5). Hoping to spend no more than $1200.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Yip Yips posted:

How up to date is the OP on specific laptop recommendations? I'm looking for a laptop I can use for video editing (single and dual cam HD video but not any/many effects and no rendering) and some light gaming (Dota 2, BL2, Civ 5). Hoping to spend no more than $1200.

Out of date.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Video editing doesn't use GPU and if you're not using overlays and effects then you ought to be fine; people have been editing 1080p video on midrange laptops for almost a decade now, you're going to be looking at resolution and durability mainly. 1440p resolutioon would be good so you can do native 1080p resolution windows, editing but that gets expensive fast.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I think 1920x1080 would be totally fine for what I'm editing and I could probably even go lower without a problem. I do want a screen that's reasonably large, probably ~15". I'm thinking an i5 and the integrated graphics should be fine. I've never really cared about how games look and don't mind turning down settings at all if I have to.

If the OP recommendations are not up to date are their new ones somewhere or an external resource I can be checking out?

Thanks!

Jdubs
May 1, 2007
I'm also going to b school in the fall and I was thinking of getting a Lenovo T440s Thinkpad but will the screen be an issue? is there a similarly priced machine with 1080p that you all would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The T440s and T440p can be specced with 1080p screens only the T440 can't.