Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Bean posted:

I get the "Your storage is almost full" message a lot on my phone. Thing is, I get it mostly when I'm using the tumblr app. Does it store a lot of junk in the cache and never empty it? How do I get it to empty?

I seem to remember it taking up a butt ton of space on my iPad until I deleted it.

Yes, tumblr makes a giant cache, like a gig or more at times. It usually clears it when you kill the app. Usually. I've taken to using ifile to nuke the temp folder it uses whenever necessary, obviously only works if you're jailbroken though.

This is a giant loving flaw with not letting users do this kind of stuff without a jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The flaw is either with the app not handling it's own cache reasonably or with the OS giving that warning when it should instead be dumping cached data out from under badly-behaving apps

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You COULD make the hilarious assumption that every app developer gives a poo poo, or let people handle it themselves when someone inevitably pinches out a terrible app and disappears.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm using Pocket Casts and I realized that I have a bunch of Podcasts that I want to save. Is there a way to back-up these Podcasts without jailbreaking and going into the directory?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Plex is on sale right now, $1.99. I've had it on my wish list for a while, so grab it while you can if you haven't yet!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

bvoid posted:

Plex is on sale right now, $1.99. I've had it on my wish list for a while, so grab it while you can if you haven't yet!

Kicks so much rear end. Between keeping all of your photos and music at home on a Plex server, it's easier than ever to get away with having a 16GB device.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

This isn't adding much to the discussion but I thought I'd mention it just I case anyone might be interested. I discovered IRCCloud yesterday. It's a drat nice app (iPhone and iPad) and the service as a whole works great. My only wish so far is that they had a dark theme, but that's not exactly a deal breaker. For any regular IRC users, it's definitely recommended.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

bvoid posted:

I use PMS at home, but I've used VLC and other programs to stream video from it. Does the Plex app add anything that that doesn't other than displaying it nicely?

edit: I guess accessing stuff remotely?

Cozmosis fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 16, 2014

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

I use PMS at home, but I've used VLC and other programs to stream video from it. Does the Plex app add anything that that doesn't other than displaying it nicely?

edit: I guess accessing stuff remotely?

Yeah it lets you send your media remotely if you have your Plex server set up correctly. You can also sync content for offline use.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Burden posted:

Yeah it lets you send your media remotely if you have your Plex server set up correctly. You can also sync content for offline use.

I thought I had set up my server correctly last night, but I tested it out at work today and the app couldn't find my library. Oddly enough it works when I'm at home even if I turn wifi off and just use LTE. What steps might I be missing?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Valencia posted:

I thought I had set up my server correctly last night, but I tested it out at work today and the app couldn't find my library. Oddly enough it works when I'm at home even if I turn wifi off and just use LTE. What steps might I be missing?

My best guess is that if you're connected to wifi at work is that your work is blocking that port. If it is working over LTE than you have it set up correctly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I remember several years ago people talking about a flash card app that let you build the cards on a website, then access them on your iPad/iPhone. Anyone have a link? I'd also take any other recommendations for flash card apps that let you create your own cards.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

EC posted:

I remember several years ago people talking about a flash card app that let you build the cards on a website, then access them on your iPad/iPhone. Anyone have a link? I'd also take any other recommendations for flash card apps that let you create your own cards.

Anki?

https://ankiweb.net

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Burden posted:

My best guess is that if you're connected to wifi at work is that your work is blocking that port. If it is working over LTE than you have it set up correctly.

No wifi at work, just LTE. What I meant was that I turned the wifi off of my phone at home to see if it showed up and it did, so it appears to be some sort of proximity thing somehow.

I realized I had this same problem with AirVideo when I tried to use it a few years ago. Worked great if I was actually in the house (when I wouldn't really need to use it), library turned invisible away from the house.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://overcast.fm

Marco Arment finally released his Podcast app to destroy all other podcast apps. I am interested in two features:

Smart Speed shortens silences. Playing at faster speeds has always helped people make time to hear more podcasts, but it usually came at the expense of sound quality and intelligibility. Smart Speed is like getting another speed increment for free: it saves time without sounding weird.

Voice Boost is a combination of dynamic compression and equalization that can make many shows more listenable and normalize volume across all shows. This makes amateur-produced podcasts (including many of my favorites) more listenable in loud environments, like cars, where you’d otherwise need to crank the volume so loudly to hear the quiet parts that you’d blow your ears out when the loudest person spoke.

----

I doubt I'll give up Pocket Casts but I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Looks like the extra features are a $4.99 IAP while the base app is free. I just paid so I'll report back on how it is.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 16, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Note that those two features offer free 5 minute-at-a-time trials. I've been using the free version without paying and it's a cool way to demo those features.

Smart Speed seems really cool in my limited experience with it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, that is certainly an interesting business model. You apparently need to create an account for it, but that's hardly a roadblock.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

I recommend study blue. It has a whole suite of study tools (multiple choice, fill in the blank, t/f) populated by your flash cards and syncs with the webapp so that you can type them up on a computer first. You can also find cards from other students based on institutions and classes.

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A
Speaking of podcast apps, does anyone know of an app that will show you your played episodes in the complete list of episodes. Overcast doesn't seem to make it easy to see listened to episodes that aren't saved to the phone. Pocket Casts doesn't, and I gave up on Downcast. Guess that leaves Instacast and Castro.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, that is certainly an interesting business model. You apparently need to create an account for it, but that's hardly a roadblock.

He explains why:

overcast.fm/skeptics_faq posted:

Why do I need to create an account in a podcast app?

I know. Seems weird at first, but hear me out. Overcast is powered by a cloud service for some big advantages:

Speed, battery life, and data usage: The servers do the heavy lifting of constantly checking for updates so your device doesn’t need to download each show’s entire feed every few minutes to make sure you get new episodes quickly. The servers send only what’s new to the app, and it only takes a few seconds. This saves substantial battery power and data usage over time.

Sync and backup: Your podcasts and progress are always synced between your devices and overcast.fm. You can log into your Overcast account from a new or restored device and everything’s right where you left it.

Web features: Logging into overcast.fm offers basic playback and will offer more features in the future, such as adding podcasts from your computer.

Simpler solutions such as iCloud could do some of this, but I wanted to do all of it.

I like the app a lot, and I'm really happy to finally have a good free alternative to the Apple podcast app to recommend to people.

It's also really classy that it links to other indie podcast apps in the settings, if you don't like it.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
If the web player works well, it could be a legitimate competitor to Downcasts for me, as the ability to listen to podcasts on both smartphone and computer is a must. Still wouldn't be as ideal as a stand-alone OS X app, but at least workable.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does the voice boost simply normalise the sound or can it be a drastic boost in the volume? One or two podcasts I listen to (namely The Comedian's Comedian Podcast) are too quiet to listen to when walking near traffic and although I've only just bought Pocket Casts a month or two ago, having a big volume boost would be worth the money to me.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Does anyone here use the Kindle app audiobook integration? I just "bought" the free Mark Twain ebook/audiobook from the Kindle store to try it out. The ebook shows up just fine, but I can't find the option to switch to the audiobook. There is supposed to be a little picture of headphones to the left of the font size button, but for me it just isn't there. The font size button is the left-most button.

My Kindle app is up-to-date, as far as I can tell. Is this feature just not supported on the iPhone 4s or something?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does the voice boost simply normalise the sound or can it be a drastic boost in the volume? One or two podcasts I listen to (namely The Comedian's Comedian Podcast) are too quiet to listen to when walking near traffic and although I've only just bought Pocket Casts a month or two ago, having a big volume boost would be worth the money to me.

You can give it a try for free on that podcast to see if it works for you. Time just runs out for that feature after 5 minutes. When I tried it it did seem to raise the volume of the podcast I tried, but I think the goal is to normalize it as well.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

DarkJC posted:

You can give it a try for free on that podcast to see if it works for you. Time just runs out for that feature after 5 minutes. When I tried it it did seem to raise the volume of the podcast I tried, but I think the goal is to normalize it as well.
I'll give it a go tomorrow when I'm out again I guess. Shame there's no iPad app for it, I like with Pocket Casts being able to download to my iPhone but stream from my iPad (since my iPhone is my main listening device)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
One little thing I immediately like about Overcast over Downcast: in the lock screen, instead of the forward and back buttons skipping podcasts, it skips 30 seconds (customizable, I think?) forward or back. Handy for commercial or segment skipping without even unlocking.

Smart Speed seems neat. At first it seemed really weird to listen to but after about 10 minutes I think I may have totally adjusted to it. I wonder how much of a difference it'll make to my listening time.

I wish Overcast had a dark theme but I get the impression that the author has a specific vision for how the app looks. Unless I missed something, anyhow.

Raveyyy posted:

Speaking of podcast apps, does anyone know of an app that will show you your played episodes in the complete list of episodes. Overcast doesn't seem to make it easy to see listened to episodes that aren't saved to the phone. Pocket Casts doesn't, and I gave up on Downcast. Guess that leaves Instacast and Castro.

This is one of the things I like about Downcast: if you view 'available episodes' all the episodes you've marked as played are greyed out. It makes it very easy to go through a podcast's back catalog. I guess that doesn't help you much, though, if you've already moved on from Downcast.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

ChetReckless posted:

Smart Speed seems neat. At first it seemed really weird to listen to but after about 10 minutes I think I may have totally adjusted to it. I wonder how much of a difference it'll make to my listening time.

There's a line at the bottom of the settings screen under about. Says it's saved me about 6 minutes and I've only listened to like 2 hours of podcast so far.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

There's a line at the bottom of the settings screen under about. Says it's saved me about 6 minutes and I've only listened to like 2 hours of podcast so far.

Huh. Cool. I imagine there is probably a listening minimum as I don't see it yet, but I'm only about an hour in to my listening experience. I do love little statistics like that, though.

It really does seem like a very thoughtfully designed app so far.

edit - according to the MacStories link below, the saved time counter starts when you've accumulated at least 5 minutes of saved time. Nifty.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 16, 2014

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

My anecdote: My car does a terrible job of amplifying the line-in jack, and it also has a maximum volume it'll start the radio at when you turn it on. I generally had to turn the volume up to listen to talky podcasts. Today I tried it with Overcast and Voice Boost, and I didn't need to touch the dial.

http://www.macstories.net/reviews/overcast-review/ has a pretty good comparison of voice boost maybe 50-60% down the page. Definitely seems to increase volume with a small but noticeable bit of associated distortion.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Overcast looks ok but it doesn't appear to have any way to import my own files like Downcast does. I use Downcast to listen to audiobooks too so I'm gonna have to pass on this one.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

ChetReckless posted:

One little thing I immediately like about Overcast over Downcast: in the lock screen, instead of the forward and back buttons skipping podcasts, it skips 30 seconds (customizable, I think?) forward or back. Handy for commercial or segment skipping without even unlocking.

If you turn on "Remote Media Skip" on Downcast it behaves the same way. Skip length is configurable as well.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

bvoid posted:

Oh sweet, I bought this last night without realizing it was on sale. I got it for my Chromecast, since it lets me cast videos from my PC to my TV via my phone/ipad. Really an awesome app, it almost set up itself and the Chromecast integration is seamless.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

choobs posted:

If you turn on "Remote Media Skip" on Downcast it behaves the same way. Skip length is configurable as well.

Ah, cool. I'm leaving Downcast on my phone for certain casts anyhow so this info will come in handy.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Valencia posted:

No wifi at work, just LTE. What I meant was that I turned the wifi off of my phone at home to see if it showed up and it did, so it appears to be some sort of proximity thing somehow.

I realized I had this same problem with AirVideo when I tried to use it a few years ago. Worked great if I was actually in the house (when I wouldn't really need to use it), library turned invisible away from the house.

That is really weird. I use mine all over the place, work, when I travel. I have no idea why it wouldn't work when you aren't at home.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Burden posted:

That is really weird. I use mine all over the place, work, when I travel. I have no idea why it wouldn't work when you aren't at home.

After some digging it appears that I might have to do something with forwarding a certain port on the router, and since all that is set up and maintained by my roommate I'll have to bug them about it and see if it works. Fingers crossed.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Bass Bottles posted:

Does anyone here use the Kindle app audiobook integration? I just "bought" the free Mark Twain ebook/audiobook from the Kindle store to try it out. The ebook shows up just fine, but I can't find the option to switch to the audiobook. There is supposed to be a little picture of headphones to the left of the font size button, but for me it just isn't there. The font size button is the left-most button.

My Kindle app is up-to-date, as far as I can tell. Is this feature just not supported on the iPhone 4s or something?

Yeah only about 25% of my Audible/Amazon audiobooks show up as well. It's borked.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

petewhitley posted:

Yeah only about 25% of my Audible/Amazon audiobooks show up as well. It's borked.

That's too bad. I got the Audible app to sync with my progress, but it would be really nice to have it all work inside the Kindle app like it's supposed to.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is Overcast the only podcast app that doesn't have a "download over wifi only" option? It's a deal breaker for me and I don't see it in the settings.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Is Overcast the only podcast app that doesn't have a "download over wifi only" option? It's a deal breaker for me and I don't see it in the settings.

You could just turn off cellular data for that app in Settings. Unless it's got some other function you want data for? I've not tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Leospeare posted:

You could just turn off cellular data for that app in Settings. Unless it's got some other function you want data for? I've not tried it yet.
I know it's a dumb reason, but I like getting a notification during the day of what podcasts have updated so I know what to look forward to later.

• Locked thread