Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

Amen... that's a pretty game indeed. Though I stand by my disdain for the visuals in the GBC version, I am going to have to disagree with Terpfen and maintain that there are a lot of pretty SNES games that still look pleasant today.

Mind you, I'm an odd duck... I'm the only man in the industrialised world that still has a CRT TV. I was just playing a Wii game on it and thought that it looked very nice indeed.

You and everyone in the retrogaming thread who either has or wants a Trinitron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I found my copies of Dragon Quest 4-6 for the DS. Do I need to play them in order? Are they vaguely relate din anyway? I see them referenced as a trilogy so I figured there'd at least be callbacks to each other?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DQ1+2/3 obviously can't compare to DQ6 SNES but they look great for GBC games.

As for fun DQ clones... Glory of Heracles, maybe? Of the classic games, 3 and 4 are the ones to try.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

MotU posted:

I found my copies of Dragon Quest 4-6 for the DS. Do I need to play them in order? Are they vaguely relate din anyway? I see them referenced as a trilogy so I figured there'd at least be callbacks to each other?

They are a trilogy, but very loosely connected. I think you'd get more enjoyment by playing them in order, but it's not strictly necessary.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

MotU posted:

There are slight callbacks in 5 and 6 but that's really it. The order in the timeline is 6-4-5 (just like the original trilogy went 3-1-2) but it actually makes more sense to play them in the order of release. That way the callbacks (few as they are) make more sense.

Prepare yourself for fun, those DS remakes are really great.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Filtering really depends on the game. I either leave it unfiltered if the graphics are supposed to be sharp and pixellated, or use bilinear/trilinear filtering.

You can see how filtering makes Donkey Kong Country look much closer to CGI, and smooths off DK's face, the banana, and the background. Yoshi's Island looks much more crisp without filtering.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Speaking of DQ-likes, as a kid I bought Hydlide because it looked like Dragon Warrior on the box. Boy was that a disappointment. I still beat it. :v:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Luceo posted:

Speaking of DQ-likes, as a kid I bought Hydlide because it looked like Dragon Warrior on the box. Boy was that a disappointment. I still beat it. :v:

I did the exact same thing. :v::respek::v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^^ I rented it for the same reason as a kid, that game's terrible.

Fenrir posted:

There are slight callbacks in 5 and 6 but that's really it. The order in the timeline is 6-4-5 (just like the original trilogy went 3-1-2) but it actually makes more sense to play them in the order of release. That way the callbacks (few as they are) make more sense.

Prepare yourself for fun, those DS remakes are really great.

The premise behind Chapter 6 for the DQ4 remake didn't make sense to me originally because when I played the NES version I overlooked Radimvice's text before you fought him. Chapter 6 is still kinda cheesy but it's a neat addition.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I just gotta say that claiming SNES graphics haven't aged well is insane. Old 2D graphics like that will never lose their visual appeal, while early polygonal poo poo on the PS1 or even PS2 sure can.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wendell posted:

I just gotta say that claiming SNES graphics haven't aged well is insane. Old 2D graphics like that will never lose their visual appeal, while early polygonal poo poo on the PS1 or even PS2 sure can.

Definitely. The only Dragon Quest games that I think have exceptional graphics are VI and III on the SNES, and VIII on the PS2. I'm not that fond of the primitive 3D used in VII and the DS remakes, although the amazing enemy animations make up for it. The first five games just kinda get the job done, but still have their charm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That loving Sned posted:

Definitely. The only Dragon Quest games that I think have exceptional graphics are VI and III on the SNES, and VIII on the PS2. I'm not that fond of the primitive 3D used in VII and the DS remakes, although the amazing enemy animations make up for it. The first five games just kinda get the job done, but still have their charm.

DQ7 on the PSX used 2D graphics. It owned and even today looks good, unlike FF7's sharp-edged mess.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

They have aged better, for sure. Still, technology has come a long way and even with the long shelf life of sprites, SNES is showing its age. Not bad by any stretch, but certainly not the way my nostalgia colors my memories of the era.

You ain't lying about PS1 though, holy poo poo. Front Mission 3 was one of my favorite games of any generation and I can't even look at it now. Sprites tend to have a lot more character too. I think that's the reason I like Breath of Fire 3 more than 4. The larger enemy models changed to polygonal messes in 4 and it just lost so much charm.

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ7 on the PSX used 2D graphics. It owned and even today looks good, unlike FF7's sharp-edged mess.

The enemy graphics rule in DQ7 but the map sprites were horrible. They looked worse than DQ6, if I remember correctly.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to sound off on how rubbish random drops are.

As I understand it, post-battle drops in DQ games, at least the early ones, are calculated based on the last monster you kill that ends a fight. Then the game basically rolls an x-sided die and you get the drop for the last monster killed if you roll a 1 on a virtual die with anywhere from 32 to 2056 sides.

I was trying to farm up a few Mysterious Hats for my sage and pilgrim and I killed hundreds of Magiwyverns, who according to scrapes drop those at a 1/64 chance. I always made sure when fighting mixed groups to save the annoying little yellow buggers for last based on my understanding of the drop system, which is playing with fire as they cast Chaos... nothing more fun than the hero using Lightning on his own party. I never had any luck with the little fuckers, but in the same area as the Magiwyverns are Goopis, who can summon Granite Titans that drop Thor's Sword, also with a 1 in 64 chance as numbers tell me. I've ended about 100-120 battles by killing a Magiwyvern and perhaps 30-40 via killing Titans... I've had 0 Hats drop and 4, yes 4, Swords. Don't get me wrong - the first one was great as that weapon is best-in-slot for a Soldier and has a great spell effect, but for gently caress's sake.

I eventually cheated in 2 MH's. Was I just incredibly unlucky or was I doing something wrong?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Potsticker posted:

Serious question: Do you use any sort of filtering when emulating NES games?

I haven't used an NES emulator in years and have no idea what filtering options might or might not be available.

Potsticker posted:

… because why would you intentionally make something muddy and harder to see clearly?

Because I disagree with your assertion that filtering leads to "muddy and harder to see clearly" graphics. To me, HQ4X results in an image that looks closer to what my nostalgia tells me the game looked like over the unfiltered original.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong for liking something that I don't, so I'm not sure why you feel like persisting this line of questioning.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 16, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I was talking about 3D PSX titles in that second quote, FYI.

As for Hydlide, it's a great game if you're looking for a Zelda style action/exploration game. Not so much if you're expecting a DQ game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted to sound off on how rubbish random drops are.

As I understand it, post-battle drops in DQ games, at least the early ones, are calculated based on the last monster you kill that ends a fight. Then the game basically rolls an x-sided die and you get the drop for the last monster killed if you roll a 1 on a virtual die with anywhere from 32 to 2056 sides.

I was trying to farm up a few Mysterious Hats for my sage and pilgrim and I killed hundreds of Magiwyverns, who according to scrapes drop those at a 1/64 chance. I always made sure when fighting mixed groups to save the annoying little yellow buggers for last based on my understanding of the drop system, which is playing with fire as they cast Chaos... nothing more fun than the hero using Lightning on his own party. I never had any luck with the little fuckers, but in the same area as the Magiwyverns are Goopis, who can summon Granite Titans that drop Thor's Sword, also with a 1 in 64 chance as numbers tell me. I've ended about 100-120 battles by killing a Magiwyvern and perhaps 30-40 via killing Titans... I've had 0 Hats drop and 4, yes 4, Swords. Don't get me wrong - the first one was great as that weapon is best-in-slot for a Soldier and has a great spell effect, but for gently caress's sake.

I eventually cheated in 2 MH's. Was I just incredibly unlucky or was I doing something wrong?

Unlucky I guess? But not really. Give everyone a sword to use as an item in combat and just Firevolt your way through everything and save MP for when quad-spamming firevolt doesn't solve your problems. It usually will though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unlucky I guess? But not really. Give everyone a sword to use as an item in combat and just Firevolt your way through everything and save MP for when quad-spamming firevolt doesn't solve your problems. It usually will though.

Sadly not. You can only use items from inventory that the character in question can normally equip, with the notable and wonderful exception of the Shield of Strength, which casts Healmore on the user in combat. Makes the incredibly hard-to-acquire Snowblast Sword, which I think that they dummied out in the remakes, even more pointless. They should have made it so that Sages can use that sword - it would be the best Attack Power weapon for Sages, and give someone a reason to try and farm the bastard. As it stands, it's basically useless as only Hero/Soldier can use it and there are better weapons, with better spell effects, more easily available.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Have any of you tried emulation on an Android device? I am thinking that DQ3 on SNES would work with a touchscreen given that there is no real-time twitchy bullshit required.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If there is one genre that doesn't suffer from touch-screen input, it's definitely turn-based RPGs. You'll be fine. I myself played through the GB remakes and cleared DQM and DQM 2 to 100% on my first android phone, years ago. The experience was pretty much flawless (even enhanced, with save states and fast-forward options).

There's also the bonus that most smartphones have very colorful screens that really make the sprites and graphics pop.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

BadAstronaut posted:

Have any of you tried emulation on an Android device? I am thinking that DQ3 on SNES would work with a touchscreen given that there is no real-time twitchy bullshit required.

It works fantastically, SuperGNES runs DQ3 like a dream and is entirely playable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm reading this thread gathering opinions for what to emulate on my Android-based Nvidia Shield, so um, yes! Kind of different case scenario as my Android has a 360 pad attached, but with RetroArch you can play almost every DQ game ever.

I guess I may as well ask for opinions - long time Dragon Quest appreciator, but never really got down with many games in the series. I did give the DS remake of 4 a fair shake, but put the game down for awhile and lost my place. The only DQ I've ever finished was 9, which I loved and played the poo poo out of (mastered every class on all four characters, wrecked a lot of the postgame). I've also tried DQ8 (enjoyable, didn't play enough of it) and DQM (played a lot of a Gameboy [Color?] DQM game as a child). DQ7 took forever to get going, then I took a break from it and couldn't find whatever I needed to do next.

Should I jump in and try playing the games sequentially? Or should I track down the DS remakes and start with those?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'd start with the DS remakes or the DQ3 SNES rom translation. 1 and 2 aren't awful or anything but they're tedious compared to the later games.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

JustJeff88 posted:

Sadly not. You can only use items from inventory that the character in question can normally equip, with the notable and wonderful exception of the Shield of Strength, which casts Healmore on the user in combat. Makes the incredibly hard-to-acquire Snowblast Sword, which I think that they dummied out in the remakes, even more pointless. They should have made it so that Sages can use that sword - it would be the best Attack Power weapon for Sages, and give someone a reason to try and farm the bastard. As it stands, it's basically useless as only Hero/Soldier can use it and there are better weapons, with better spell effects, more easily available.

I got a snowblast sword drop (or whatever its translated name is) in DQ3 for the SNES. I wasn't grinding for it; I just picked it up on my way through Zoma's castle.

Then I beat the game and when I reloaded for the postgame it was gone, because the game resets its state to your last save before the final boss. :suicide:

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Wendell posted:

Agreed, Sega Saturn had some incredible 2d games as well. There is something impressive about being creative despite a console's limitations...especially when it comes to 2d. I want to say that it probably came from just the sheer amount of competition with 2d games at the time.

There are some pretty awesome Saturn games that never made it over to the US. Saturn emulation sucks right now and there is no translation community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwOv61e8kqA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

There are some pretty awesome Saturn games that never made it over to the US. Saturn emulation sucks right now and there is no translation community.

Saturn emulation is actually pretty alright now, a lot of games run just fine in SSE, which is astonishing considering what a congealed heap of poo poo the hardware is.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

KingSlime posted:

If there is one genre that doesn't suffer from touch-screen input, it's definitely turn-based RPGs.

I've found that any game that doesn't require quick reflexes and perfect movement coordination does okay. I'm in the camp of those who find touch screen controls lacking feedback and frustrating, but it's doable for very simple games or slow-paced ones, such as turn-based RPGs and strategy games as well as simple games like poker, Angry Birds etc.

Where I am hosed is that all I have is an iPod 5, and I can't justify a tablet either financially or in terms of practical use - I wouldn't get enough use out of any tablet to warrant paying $300+. The problem with having just an iPod is that there are some really good mobile-only, old-school RPGs out there (e.g. Final Fantasy Dimensions, Silversword) that run just fine on the device, but the tiny screen makes trying to play them, especially with my huge hands, like trying to thread a sewing needle with an anaconda. Silversword is on iOS but I don't have a Mac, and I doubt that Dimensions will ever see a Windows port. It's a real pity, because the former is very similar to Bard's Tale but less obnoxious and the latter is very similar to FFV, which I adore.

Fenrir posted:

Yeah I'd start with the DS remakes or the DQ3 SNES rom translation. 1 and 2 aren't awful or anything but they're tedious compared to the later games.

I somewhat disagree; I think that the SuperFamicom version of 2 translated is quite solid. The original NES game, though, is tedious indeed... not to mention random, frustrating, and poorly balanced. DW1 is very limited and all about the grind, but I feel that everyone should play it at some point just to get an idea of how the series started and how it evolved.

Draile posted:

I got a snowblast sword drop (or whatever its translated name is) in DQ3 for the SNES. I wasn't grinding for it; I just picked it up on my way through Zoma's castle.

Then I beat the game and when I reloaded for the postgame it was gone, because the game resets its state to your last save before the final boss. :suicide:

Lucky bugger. I read somewhere that they took an item out in the SNES version (granted, they added dozens) and I thought that the SnowBlast Sword was it. What gets me, though, is that it's a very rare drop from uncommon enemies, and it's just not worth it. Mysterious Hats are the only MP conservation items in the game, Thor's Sword is BiS for soldiers, and even the Shoes of Happiness give you free exp. If the Sage could use the Snowblast Sword, it would be his best weapon and there would be a reason to farm for it beyond collect-ability. I'm going to do a 100% item gather on my DQ3 game, but I'm going to use that Game Genie code that makes the last enemy killed always drop an item.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Saturn emulation is actually pretty alright now, a lot of games run just fine in SSE, which is astonishing considering what a congealed heap of poo poo the hardware is.

I'm very surprised to hear that. As someone who owned a Saturn before a PSX (I'm a twit) and still has it (in my mum's basement, I think), I kind of expected it to be relegated to the mists of time like the Dreamcast. Poor Sega... the Genesis was better than the SNES and I'll maintain that stance until my dying day. I still have a Nomad and I still play Toe Jam & Earl to this day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Saying silversword is like bards tale is putting it mildly. The game is a massive and blatant cloning of bards tale 3. The expansion even added a new class that is melee-turned-magic user just like geomancer. Though I don't recall bt3 geomancer being able to hide in shadows and nuke with impunity like the dragonmage or whatever that class was called.

Like bards tale 3 the balance is all over the place and you have to do a bunch of grinding and rely on rng drops for gear. I stopped when I got to the swamp because it's dungeon includes a dark area that spins you with every step and hurts hp/mp with every action. This includes checking the map or selecting a character and canceling. It was an ok game up to that point but gently caress the guy who thought that aoe damage on any action is good design. Hope you have harmonic gems to fuel spamming full party heals.

Also the game outright uses items and spells from bards tale. Blatant things like the bardsword giving infinite song usage when equipped. Spells like Mage Malestrom have the same dmg and range as bards tale too. Has more stun/paralyze on hit enemies than bards tale did tho.

Still it's more playable than bards tale 1-3 are on iOS.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 18, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
If his has been mentioned before my apologies as I haven't read this whole thread back-to-front, but I found a site of some guy who is working on DW remakes. It looks quite interesting as he has finished DW1 and there is a demo for DW2. Supposedly he is still working on 2, but he hasn't updated the site in a year so it may well be vapourware at this point. Here is the link if you want to have a look.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

I somewhat disagree; I think that the SuperFamicom version of 2 translated is quite solid. The original NES game, though, is tedious indeed... not to mention random, frustrating, and poorly balanced. DW1 is very limited and all about the grind, but I feel that everyone should play it at some point just to get an idea of how the series started and how it evolved.

True enough, but I still wouldn't recommend anyone start there now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fenrir posted:

True enough, but I still wouldn't recommend anyone start there now.

I started with the GBC version on an emulator, and it was pretty fun since I abused the turbo button. I also went back and played the NES one the same way.

I didn't finish II, but playing them both made III even more impressive for how much it improved and refined the series. Any of the later games are fine as a first entry, but trying out the first trilogy in order is really satisfying.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

I started with the GBC version on an emulator, and it was pretty fun since I abused the turbo button. I also went back and played the NES one the same way.

I didn't finish II, but playing them both made III even more impressive for how much it improved and refined the series. Any of the later games are fine as a first entry, but trying out the first trilogy in order is really satisfying.

This has been informative, thanks you all. Might go 4-5-6 then 1-2-3 then play 7 and 8. I own 7, I just got annoyed shard hunting and put it down.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This has been informative, thanks you all. Might go 4-5-6 then 1-2-3 then play 7 and 8. I own 7, I just got annoyed shard hunting and put it down.

7 might just be the best DQ game, but it's got some problems. The shard hunting can be painful at times if you're not really paying attention to everything, it winds up really slow, even once you're past the hour or two where there's not even any combat, and the graphics, oh my god. It's worth it, though. I just have to say it may be the worst DQ to start with, because of its flaws.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

How bad is the shard hunting if you keep open a walkthrough at all times? I've given up on the remake ever coming out over here so I might as well check out the original and I've heard it's ridiculously long even for a JRPG so I'd probably have a walkthrough open in case I got stuck as it is.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The cool thing about 7 is that while it is very long, like most of the other games it is very episodic and has a lot of self-contained stories. I think it works well as a game you can set aside for a few weeks then come back to.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

How bad is the shard hunting if you keep open a walkthrough at all times? I've given up on the remake ever coming out over here so I might as well check out the original and I've heard it's ridiculously long even for a JRPG so I'd probably have a walkthrough open in case I got stuck as it is.

The shard hunting isn't what makes it long, it's just what can make it longer. I mean, if you're using a walkthrough it's candy. The game itself is just REALLY LONG, and has a TON of content. My first playthrough was well over 100 hours and I only had to really hunt for like 3 shards because I'm just used to being thorough with DQ games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fenrir posted:

The shard hunting isn't what makes it long, it's just what can make it longer. I mean, if you're using a walkthrough it's candy. The game itself is just REALLY LONG, and has a TON of content. My first playthrough was well over 100 hours and I only had to really hunt for like 3 shards because I'm just used to being thorough with DQ games.

Oh yeah, I figured it'd be super long either way, I just meant is there anything weird about shards in particular that can't be circumvented by having a nice list that tells you where all of them are as you play.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

Oh yeah, I figured it'd be super long either way, I just meant is there anything weird about shards in particular that can't be circumvented by having a nice list that tells you where all of them are as you play.

If you have a shard list, you'll cut down your time significantly. It's still long as hell though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fenrir posted:

7 might just be the best DQ game, but it's got some problems.

Really, wow. I thought 9 was fantastic, that's pretty intriguing to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really, wow. I thought 9 was fantastic, that's pretty intriguing to hear.

Don't doubt yourself, 9 is the best one. 7 was lots of fun at the time but even then felt outdated in some ways. After playing 6 and going back to 7, I found 7 even more disappointing, as it took the really fun job system of 6 and bloated it all to hell. And that's before you even consider the monster jobs. That said, it's still more good than bad and the bad might even be more personal feeling than objective truth, but even considering that the game is so drat long.

All that said, I would buy a 3DS specifically for the DQ7 remake.