Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
There's a new twitter out called CongressEdits - where it updates every time someone edits on Wikipedia anonymously (which the IP is logged instead). And I saw this edit of David Icke:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=616915051&oldid=616543585

quote:

He is also a disinformation agent funded by the [[Pleiadians]].

I don't know whether to be :allears: or :smith: with the realization that we do have Reptilian believers in Congress.

EDIT: Or it could be a troll, IDK.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's really bizarre because the Dungeon and Dragons and Harry Potter hysteria comes off the presumption that magic is real and has very serious consequences.
If spells were being published in mainstream books you can get off of Amazon I'm pretty sure it'd make national headlines and DnD would be the most popular hobby ever instead of something weird nerds who don't bathe do. Think of the military and scientific applications.

Also, lying. A lot of lying for Jesus. One of Jack Chick's friends claims to have been one of the more well-known sorcerers in his area at the time D&D was being written, and that TSR consulted with him to ensure that all the spells in the game were accurate. poo poo, there was a book going around in the 80's about how everything your child likes that isn't Jesus action figures is secretly satanic. Including claims that Star Wars was trying to teach children Buddhism because the author misheard a line they said "Zen Master Yoda". I remember reading through it as a teenager and wondering just how anyone could believe the bullshit in the book, then I caught the theme running through the whole thing - checking for yourself would open you to Satanic influences. It's like that poo poo in Scientology where Hubbard claimed that reading the OTIII documents (the ones with Xenu) before you had been deemed ready would lead to "freewheeling", which I seem to remember is where your mind gets caught in an infinite loop and detaches from reality or something.

But yeah, seriously, most of the fervor about a lot of this stuff is based on someone lying about a thing, then telling other people that they're not smart enough / protected enough to double-check, so out of fear they uncritically parrot the noise and rationalize away any evidence to the contrary with "Satan has deluded this person into not seeing".

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Jim posted:

Look at that smug motherfucker.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Also, lying. A lot of lying for Jesus. One of Jack Chick's friends claims to have been one of the more well-known sorcerers in his area at the time D&D was being written, and that TSR consulted with him to ensure that all the spells in the game were accurate. poo poo, there was a book going around in the 80's about how everything your child likes that isn't Jesus action figures is secretly satanic. Including claims that Star Wars was trying to teach children Buddhism because the author misheard a line they said "Zen Master Yoda". I remember reading through it as a teenager and wondering just how anyone could believe the bullshit in the book, then I caught the theme running through the whole thing - checking for yourself would open you to Satanic influences. It's like that poo poo in Scientology where Hubbard claimed that reading the OTIII documents (the ones with Xenu) before you had been deemed ready would lead to "freewheeling", which I seem to remember is where your mind gets caught in an infinite loop and detaches from reality or something.

But yeah, seriously, most of the fervor about a lot of this stuff is based on someone lying about a thing, then telling other people that they're not smart enough / protected enough to double-check, so out of fear they uncritically parrot the noise and rationalize away any evidence to the contrary with "Satan has deluded this person into not seeing".

My favorite GoodWill find back in my college days:

There's also this companion volume:

No, it's not the Phil Phillips you're thinking of.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The really disturbing thing about Ritual Satanic Abuse claims is that they had real world impact. In the 80s and early 90s there was a lot of cases were kids were coached by so called Satanic investigators brought in my fundie christian parents to claim their caregivers were sacrificing animals/kids to Satan during school and lots of other crazy poo poo. McMartin is probably best known, but there's other cases.

Another thing is that if there was a murder, and a pentagram or other satanic symbols were found anywhere nearby (this included metal band logos/names) instantly causes these investigators to show up and "offer" help in tracking down the satanists who sacrificed the drifter or hooker out in the old cabin where someone spray painted "slayer rules!" on the wall. So police, rather than actually looking for the killer, end up being badgered by the local church and these experts to run around looking into cults and cult like activities. What can start out as a fairly easy to solver murder turns into a giant poo poo show where some innocent teenager who happens to like D&D and heavy metal gets thrown in jail because someone calls him a satanist.

Isn't the West Memphis 3 partially based on this? Or am I getting it confused with another case.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The West Memphis Three were convicted entirely on satanic panic nonsense. The major evidence was that they got the retarded kid to confess by bullying him for hours and denying him food and sleep, and that one of the kids had some fake occult magic book under his bed (checked out from a library). Also, one of them went by the name "Damien," which was totally the name of the devil kid in the Omen. And also the name of the kid's favorite Catholic saint.

How many crimes went unsolved because the police sank time and money into nonsense like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-yUM2vz4Tg

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
One of the best parts of True Detective was how the pastor at the beginning (set in 1992) was warning the detectives to pay attention to local satanist groups and reminded them that there was a "war being fought."

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lightning Jim posted:

There's a new twitter out called CongressEdits - where it updates every time someone edits on Wikipedia anonymously (which the IP is logged instead). And I saw this edit of David Icke:

I don't know whether to be :allears: or :smith: with the realization that we do have Reptilian believers in Congress.

I don't know I think it's a good bet that between 535 members of congress and all their staff members, there's at least one crazy person who believes in reptilians.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't know I think it's a good bet that between 535 members of congress and all their staff members, there's at least one crazy person who believes in reptilians.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I'm afraid I can't identify this person by looking. Who is it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtTXKHLYjhE

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Louie Gohmert. He's well known as a guy who says stupid poo poo, just today he said the immigration refugee crisis that is going on right now could be solved if border state governors started their own army and navy and just killed the kids. He also picked his congressional office because it has a ledge wide enough that he can put a smoker on it and have freshly cooked brisket.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I don't like his "killing kids" stance, but I do like his "pro-brisket" stance. As a Libertarian, I'm going to have to vote "R" on this one.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

fermun posted:

He also picked his congressional office because it has a ledge wide enough that he can put a smoker on it and have freshly cooked brisket.
Possibly the only smart thing Louie Gohmert has ever done.

gently caress me sideways do you know how long it's been since I've had proper brisket?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I don't have Chrome or whatever extension that is, but thanks anyway rear end in a top hat!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fermun posted:

Louie Gohmert. He's well known as a guy who says stupid poo poo, just today he said the immigration refugee crisis that is going on right now could be solved if border state governors started their own army and navy and just killed the kids. He also picked his congressional office because it has a ledge wide enough that he can put a smoker on it and have freshly cooked brisket.

Wonderful. He's taking a page out of Tony Abbott's book.

Just what the world needs.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I fully support his brisket platform.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

What browser / addon is that? It looks really useful.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's Chrome.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Okay, I laughed. Mr Terror Anchor Baby scareman.

En topic with the Satanic Scare period: I guess I was overall lucky since I was pretty young when this happened and my parents weren't complete fundies (although time can change a person :smith:).

In relation to that: there is a "Satanic" cult meeting here in OKC soon, and therefore people are going to protest, proclaiming they have no legal right since they are an afront to God. (What was that about religious liberty being under attack?)

EDIT: here's a recent article form Cracked, where they pretty much say conspiracy theories are making things worse for everyone
http://www.cracked.com/article_21341_5-ways-every-conspiracy-theory-makes-world-worse.html

EDIT 2: It's just hitting me, I think #1 is actually helping me realize why I jumped into the rabbit hole in the first place.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 15, 2014

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Lightning Jim posted:

En topic with the Satanic Scare period: I guess I was overall lucky since I was pretty young when this happened and my parents weren't complete fundies (although time can change a person :smith:).
I was playing D&D through the satanic panic period of the 80s. My mom would make fun of the fundies. She bought me almost every D&D game accessory in print; she thought D&D was deeply stupid, but did it anyway because gently caress the fundies. She used to say, 'How could any parent not know their kid was playing D&D? You have that bullshit all over our house!'

In other words my mom is awesome and you should be jealous

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Jack Gladney posted:

That would be the exact book I was referring to, even. And holy poo poo I didn't know about the other one. Sadly, my parents read Turmoil when I was a kid, and believed it, so I got to "choose" whether or not to keep all my He-Man toys after my parents told me about all the secret evil occult stuff in it that I'd never seen despite watching every episode and owning most of the figures. loving Charismatic Catholic Renewal...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

platedlizard posted:

I fully support his brisket platform.

But what about his platform on briskets?
I mean, I'm all for ledges too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cracked posted this article and I decided to read the comment section and holy poo poo do a lot of conspiracy theorists read Cracked. I wasn't expecting this level of pushback from the article in question, but the majority of the comments (at least on the FB page) seem to be about people defending themselves not as conspiracy theorists (which a lot of them are claiming is a bullshit grouping tactic developed by The Man), but as "free thinkers" who like to think for themselves and come to their own logical conclusions. Nevermind that they may be verifiably wrong.

A bunch of them also use things like the NSA spying on Americans thing as proof that...uhh...conspiracy theories are real? Just because one thing actually happened doesn't mean poo poo, but I don't have the willingness to actually respond to these creeps.

(Space indicates separate posts. This guy really likes conspiracy theories)

Stephen Rawley posted:

It's funny how people just pick out the obviously crazy junk and lump everyone together into one group. If you disagree with any mainstream view you MUST believe in reptilians and that the moon landing was fake! You can't possibly have rational and provable points with anything else!

Glenn Beck is an idiot and has nothing to do with "conspiracy theorists" It's a made up term to put anyone who questions authority into a demonized category so that any valid points they have are immediately disregarded as crazy.
No one agrees on everything. Someone can believe that 9/11 was an inside job and still believe in the moon landing etc.

Cracked has turned into garbage. Anyone who uses the term "conspiracy theorist" is just lumping anyone with a differing view of events into a box in order to completely disregard anything they have to say to stifle thought. Pure propaganda crap. Apparently everyone is completely retarded and there are no experts out there except for the ones on TV. If no one ever questioned the mainstream view we would all be slaves to the catholic church and still think the world is flat, the sun revolves around the Earth, and animals spontaneously generate. Anyone who still believes in global warming is a moron.

Joe Bates doesn't seem to get the level of respect 20 years worth of data deserves.

Joe Bates posted:

Climate change is the term used by morons who think weather patterns are a new phenomenon. 20 years of data is apparently enough for them to think the world is going to end.

You mean the same conspiracy theorist that is donating millions of dollars in money, food, water, and other essentials to the children illegally crossing the border? What do you fucks do to help others, or make a difference? Stick to stupid and nonsensical videos and stupid gifs, you don't look like uneducated liberal tools that way.
Will someone please think of the poor, beleaguered Glenn Beck!

Jason Spinks posted:

Oh sure, don't want the sheeple thinking outside the box a little. That would make the world worse. Especially when you consider so many of these "wacko" theories have turned out to be true.

I certainly don't buy into every conspiracy theory going, but I like to be able to think for myself, do my research, and come to my own conclusions without being labeled as a wacko from some douche working at Cracked magazine who is ignorant enough to believe the lone gunman theory.
Jason Spinks, coming to his own conclusions by reading regurgitated blog posts about the JFK assassination since 9/11.

Jarrad Pechie posted:

I read this. It's basically a bunch of slamming on anyone who doesn't believe any ''official'' story about anything.

I'm also a massive fan of how many of these conspiracy theorists are ready and willing to completely discredit other theories that they don't personally believe in, but my theory? Oh well that's obviously true, I mean you'd have to be a sheep to not believe in ~my conspiracy theory~

As an aside, I think it's great how people are calling Cracked "the next Upworthy or Buzzfeed" because they make lists when they've been making lists for years and years now. It's almost like...conspiracy theorists are idiots?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 16, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

I didn't even bother looking at the comments because :eyeroll:

On a tangental note: latest Weird Al video has lots of our favorite conspiracy theories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

There's also this companion volume:

No, it's not the Phil Phillips you're thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrMoVWl5KA

Here's a video of the insanity.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
With regards to the moral panic/turmoil in the toybox from the early 90's:

Was this poo poo on mainstream TV or was it word of mouth in the local community? I was barely finished elementary school by 1995 and my parents were cool so I don't remember this but I have heard about the whole pushback against D&D. I just never realized it was part of something so much larger.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 16, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Was this poo poo on mainstream TV or was it word of mouth in the local community? I was barely finished elementary school by 1995 and my parents were cool so I don't remember this but I have heard about the whole pushback against D&D. I just never realized it was part of something so much larger.

I went to a christian school and this stuff was still being discussed in 2002/2003ish I want to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FnDBIWtA4U

I do wonder if this had the opposite effect on most kids?

"Hey what is this stuff?"

"AC/DC. THEY STAND FOR ANTI-CHRIST/DEVILS CHILD! DON'T LISTEN TO THEM OR THEY WILL MELT YOUR BRAIN!"

"...Okay, Okay, Okay I won't." /secretly does it anyways.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

It was famous enough to create Tom Hanks' finest moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6AOd6r6Qi8

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

No loving way did they actually make a music video about this. That's amazing.

Butts McGee posted:

What really makes the SOS video is that it's made by the Family International. These guys. Also prolific child abusers and abductors. Poke around the site, they're straight up crazy.

• Home » Children of God Publications » Cool Tips for Hot Sex!

sounds promising :pervert:

wait, nevermind. Don't look at the "more erotic" section (it's at the bottom). That South Park episode about Christian Rock has nothing on this. :gonk:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 17, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So awhile ago I posted about a guy I know on Facebook and in my local community who believes all sorts of crazy poo poo, like he's a 9/11 Truther, anti-vaxxer, global warming denialist, baking soda cures cancer but is kept down by big pharma, cannabis oil cures cancer, etc. His primary fallback for evidence is to just post a shitload of anecdotes and links to extremely shady websites. If you can find a few different people on Youtube talking about it, then he's into it.

I want to convince him of something truly, utterly crazy. Like the US Navy keeping mermaids or whatever sounds pretty loving bizarre. What's the most insane conspiracy thing that you can think of that is also "plausibly" supported if you believe that anecdotal testimony is the highest form of proof?

Just to give you a baseline of how crazy this guy is, he bought a magic wand on the Internet and claims that it cured his kid's cold

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

QuarkJets posted:

So awhile ago I posted about a guy I know on Facebook and in my local community who believes all sorts of crazy poo poo, like he's a 9/11 Truther, anti-vaxxer, global warming denialist, baking soda cures cancer but is kept down by big pharma, cannabis oil cures cancer, etc. His primary fallback for evidence is to just post a shitload of anecdotes and links to extremely shady websites. If you can find a few different people on Youtube talking about it, then he's into it.

I want to convince him of something truly, utterly crazy. Like the US Navy keeping mermaids or whatever sounds pretty loving bizarre. What's the most insane conspiracy thing that you can think of that is also "plausibly" supported if you believe that anecdotal testimony is the highest form of proof?

Just to give you a baseline of how crazy this guy is, he bought a magic wand on the Internet and claims that it cured his kid's cold

This is playing with fire, and it's never a good idea to turn people crazy (crazier?) for your own amusement. You could get him, or the people around him, hurt. :ohdear:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hedera Helix posted:

This is playing with fire, and it's never a good idea to turn people crazy (crazier?) for your own amusement. You could get him, or the people around him, hurt. :ohdear:

I'm hoping that it will have the reverse effect. Find something absolutely ludicrous, show him the minimum burden of proof that he has required for things like magic internet wands, and then say "look at what a low burden of proof might lead someone to believe"

Like if there are some people who believe that the world is actually controlled by vampiric furries who poo poo ice cream, and there are some videos of people who are all "I totally saw one, look at this photo of a raccoon, this is one of them he just shapeshifted right before I took the photo", or something?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Jim posted:

I'm pretty sure someone is trolling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=617082480&oldid=616031169

And that twitter keeps bringing up somebody editing pages claiming people are Kremlin disinformation agents, so again probably trolling and perhaps the same guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=616945699&oldid=616944246

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=616911804&oldid=615306532

e: I got all of those from that twitter feed.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's really hard to tell with all the macroblocking but it looks like it was filmed in Japan? WTF?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

QuarkJets posted:

I'm hoping that it will have the reverse effect. Find something absolutely ludicrous, show him the minimum burden of proof that he has required for things like magic internet wands, and then say "look at what a low burden of proof might lead someone to believe"

Like if there are some people who believe that the world is actually controlled by vampiric furries who poo poo ice cream, and there are some videos of people who are all "I totally saw one, look at this photo of a raccoon, this is one of them he just shapeshifted right before I took the photo", or something?

The guy probably isn't going to sullenly question the error of his ways, and then thank you for opening his eyes to the reality of the situation. He's probably just gonna think you're making fun of him and really you're the bad guy in that situation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hedera Helix posted:

Do you know where you are right now? We ruin more lives before breakfast than most people do all day.

I vote Morgellons.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

SedanChair posted:

Do you know where you are right now? We ruin more lives before breakfast than most people do all day.

I vote Morgellons.

Morgellons has long been one of the best troll-vectors for conspiracists, especially those with hypochondriac tendencies

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Combine the Philadelphia Experiment with Lizard people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

QuarkJets posted:

You don't cure crazy by throwing an insane person in the shallow end and say LOOK SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO NOT GET WET?!

Failing that, let him know that Alex Jones actually works with the Illuminati and his whole purpose is to distract from the Real Plan they have, while selling products that they've specially treated.

• Locked thread