Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It kinda comes off to me that Wadsworth -wants- to believe he did it for some reason.

Despite the 'lost' journal that indicates he was attacked by a loving skin-flaying skeleton, and seems to have sketches of the titular "angleworms" crawling out of the forest?

Nevermind he somehow got a laceration on his back and no weapon was present at the scene, nor could he have laid a hand on Maris if he even wanted to? Wadsworth is obviously hosed in the head/severely OCD/unreliable narrator but I don't see how you wouldn't come to the conclusion you and Maris were attacked by something in the woods.

I mean, even if I was paranoid as poo poo I'd be more scared of a creepy unknown monster in the woods that apparently attacked and killed my friend and wounded me than try to create an elaborate story in my head about how I could have rationalized and then executed my friend's murder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Fabricated posted:

I mean, even if I was paranoid as poo poo I'd be more scared of a creepy unknown monster in the woods that apparently attacked and killed my friend and wounded me than try to create an elaborate story in my head about how I could have rationalized and then executed my friend's murder?

I think Wadsworth is trying very hard to convince himself the creepy unknown monsters aren't actually real. He has forgotten all about the skin-flayer, right now he just thinks his nightmares are loving weird.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

nimby posted:

I think Wadsworth is trying very hard to convince himself the creepy unknown monsters aren't actually real. He has forgotten all about the skin-flayer, right now he just thinks his nightmares are loving weird.
I might need to go back but didn't he detail the attack by the stitched man in his lost journal? The same journal that also has a drawing of what looks like worms crawling out of the forest?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fabricated posted:

I might need to go back but didn't he detail the attack by the stitched man in his lost journal? The same journal that also has a drawing of what looks like worms crawling out of the forest?

Either into or out of the woods, yes. Interestingly, I think the three lines is not just some Mark Of The Beast type deal. Look closely at the worms. I think the three lines are actually tracks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Look, Doc, I don't want anything to do with your eroto-whatsits.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

neogeo0823 posted:

Either into or out of the woods, yes. Interestingly, I think the three lines is not just some Mark Of The Beast type deal. Look closely at the worms. I think the three lines are actually tracks.
The three lines thing is loving everywhere and I dunno if it has any significance but lookit old Vergil's head here:

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/01/28/perusal/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fabricated posted:

The three lines thing is loving everywhere and I dunno if it has any significance but lookit old Vergil's head here:

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/01/28/perusal/
Holy poo poo, good catch.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

He had detailed his nightmares about the ghost unfaced killer, he has no current reason to believe it was actually real.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Poison Mushroom posted:

Holy poo poo, good catch.
Also "three" seems to be a pretty constant pattern. Remember that the common greeting in town is saying Hello 3 times.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

nimby posted:

Something I've been thinking about the last few comics: what if the "red" thoughts aren't just Wadsworth's guilt, but the thoughts of the creature inside him? A creature which has, itself, fallen prey to Broodhollow's collective amnesia and needs to reconstruct its own crime?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Carrasco posted:

Something I've been thinking about the last few comics: what if the "red" thoughts aren't just Wadsworth's guilt, but the thoughts of the creature inside him? A creature which has, itself, fallen prey to Broodhollow's collective amnesia and needs to reconstruct its own crime?

This is along the lines of what I was thinking, too. Maybe the angleworm isn't an earthworm--it's a tapeworm, a parasite, and Zane is its host. That's why Zane seems so convinced he was the one who killed Maris; it may not have been Zane himself, per se, but it was the thing inside of him, and those are more than close enough to mistake based on whatever fragments of memory make their way into his subconscious.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 18, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Uh-huh. Sure.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Somebody was asking about the writer?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What the gently caress. Can't Broodhollowians do anything like normal people?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

"Halleluon"? Ever-reliable Wikipedia says "hallelujah" is just "Praise God", with the "Hallelu" bit being "praise" and "-Jah" (or "Yah") being a slightly poetic name for God. What's the chances that the "-on" in Broodhollow's "Halleluon" actually is a bit of Hebrew that means something significant? Is anyone here conversant Biblical Hebrew? :v:

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
What of -on is short for DEMON :crossarms:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe when they're done, they'll chant halleluoff.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Ofaloaf posted:

"Halleluon"? Ever-reliable Wikipedia says "hallelujah" is just "Praise God", with the "Hallelu" bit being "praise" and "-Jah" (or "Yah") being a slightly poetic name for God. What's the chances that the "-on" in Broodhollow's "Halleluon" actually is a bit of Hebrew that means something significant? Is anyone here conversant Biblical Hebrew? :v:

I'm not Jewish or a Biblical scholar so someone who actually knows Hebrew may actually correct me but "On" is a transliteration of the Hebrew "און" which looks simiar to the biblical hebrew אָוֶן (pronounced awen) is "trouble in the sense of one step away from becoming wicked, or emptiness in the sense of one step away from becoming idolatrous."

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/On.html

http://bible.gen.nz/amos/hebrew/alep/awen.htm

My guess is he actually meant Halleluawen, but some-one with a better background can correct me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chard posted:

What the gently caress. Can't Broodhollowians do anything like normal people?

the better question is, what started this tradition :unsmigghh:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tollymain posted:

Something VERY normal. Obviously.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

They had a ghost that stole body parts and hated being looked at. Maybe they sympathized with his predicament and wants to be accommodating.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

If we're translating things, "Kruzevabole" appears to be Latvian, although I'm not sure of what significance it might have.

Lots, probably.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tollymain posted:

Well the only other tradition like it I can think of is the one where you use the solid cloth to hide your guilt from God, so if I had to guess there was a murder conspiracy in the town's early days.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I assume you are referring to this tradition which is, uh, not exactly funerary.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah my mind went straight to cannibalism because of the cooked ortolan traditions, but in an odd way I think that's way too mundane of a creepy town trope for Broodhollow

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2014/07/28/halleluon/

Not creepy at all. Nope.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm about ready for that halleluoff now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A totally normal funeral I think.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is obviously setting up towards something but whatever that is, it will have a hard time topping it. Christ.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Writer guy is going to get brutally murdered by a ghost.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

One of these days the comic is going to be a gif and I am going to be scared shitless. :cry:

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

New Page: http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2014/07/30/breaking-point/

What a surprisingly reasonable reaction to the current situation! These choices will almost certainly not have any repercussions for the parties involved.

I really like that last panel. The colors and postures contrast with the rest of the comic. You can even see the three lines in the background, connecting them to Wadsworth's unstable emotional state. The angle the lines are at is also a fantastic compositional choice.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tenik posted:

New Page: http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2014/07/30/breaking-point/

What a surprisingly reasonable reaction to the current situation! These choices will almost certainly not have any repercussions for the parties involved.

I really like that last panel. The colors and postures contrast with the rest of the comic. You can even see the three lines in the background, connecting them to Wadsworth's unstable emotional state. The angle the lines are at is also a fantastic compositional choice.

i like the last panel because the insufferable rear end in a top hat got knocked the gently caress out :vince:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So I imagine Mr. Novacek will be accused of Maris' murder and it'll be up to Zane to solve the Scooby Doo mystery because he "knows" he did it instead.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

New page: http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2014/08/01/the-departed/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love it when a character in a highly bizarre situation finally snaps and goes "just what the gently caress is going on here?!?" instead of taking every freakishly unnatural thing in stride.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Novacek makes a good point. Why would the Sawmill have 3 big brutish guys working the night shift all by themselves? Especially when the 3 guys had no problem fighting huge demon-like bats.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, god, that poor man is going to be locked in jail until he forgets.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno where he's getting the "You don't know yourselves" thing from. I could see someone being like, "Seriously, what in the gently caress us up with a TOWN having unique funeral rites?" but eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fabricated posted:

I dunno where he's getting the "You don't know yourselves" thing from. I could see someone being like, "Seriously, what in the gently caress us up with a TOWN having unique funeral rites?" but eh?

He might simply have asked questions about the night shift before and gotten answers along the lines of "I don't know, it's how we do things around here".

• Locked thread