Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SEKCobra posted:

How do I check my usage? SSDLife wants me to buy a license.

Crystal Disk Info should show you how much you've written to your SSD and how many hours it's been powered on. Mouse over the hours for days; here's mine:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Download standard or portable, the other editions have anime. Standard install version has a custom option to not install crapware with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

I also hate this transition between Xorg and Wayland/Mir. Performance for Nvidia and ATI sucks worse than normal. :argh: It's almost reminding me of kernel 2.4 -> 2.6 transitional phase.

Paging Suspicious Dish. I'm not aware of this being a problem. But post in the Linux thread. We have a Wayland developer here (Mir is DOA)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Paging Suspicious Dish. I'm not aware of this being a problem. But post in the Linux thread. We have a Wayland developer here (Mir is DOA)

Eh, it's either Wayland or gnome-shell really does suck that bad, but when I am using pure Xorg Nvidia performance is just fine.

*Edit*

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_20_wayland&num=1

Yeah, Wayland performance isn't quite there yet.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, it's either Wayland or gnome-shell really does suck that bad, but when I am using pure Xorg Nvidia performance is just fine.

*Edit*

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_20_wayland&num=1

Yeah, Wayland performance isn't quite there yet.

Ah, I thought you meant "performance is worse on xorg". Yes, Wayland is slower. It's not ready yet

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Ah, I thought you meant "performance is worse on xorg". Yes, Wayland is slower. It's not ready yet

No no; what I meant was the transition FROM X.org to wayland reminds me of going from 2.4 -> 2.6. It was painful and performance was terrible with the Nvidia drivers going to 2.5/6 for quite a while. :v:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I had to go to the office at 9PM yesterday (Sunday night) to hand over an iPhone to a VP who was travelling. That's during the World Cup Finale. I'm not a football/soccer person, but I'm writing overtime hours like someone who cares about the world cup would.

Edit: And I got poo poo because we only had the corporate-mandated iPhone 4S 8GB in stock, and not the iPhone 5S that we are not allowed to buy.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"You guys gave me a new computer last month but this website is still running slowly, please fix it this is affecting production."

It's slow because you be never use the filters you were told to use so you don't load 300 entries every time you click refresh. :argh:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yaos posted:

At my new job I will apparently get to select what parts are going into our computers. I will certainly try to get SSDs in these bad boys. That speed boost makes me jump for joy, an image will get on them in no time.

If you have redirected folders users will save everything to the root of C. I'm not joking, we found people saving stuff to the root of C. :psyduck:

Isn't there a way to keep that from happening? Like can't you remove the ability to write files to C:\?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

AlternateAccount posted:

Isn't there a way to keep that from happening? Like can't you remove the ability to write files to C:\?

You can, but Authenticated Users with a lot of permissions is created by default.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Is there a thread somewhere to post for help with networking\firewall issues? I am willing to pay for some help so maybe SA Mart?

I need some help with an issue I cannot figure out with a Cisco ASA 5505 and setting up a VPN connection to be able to RDP to a server and also have a shared folder on the desktop of the VPN'ing computer.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Caged posted:

Why would you purposely move swap files away from SSD?

Wait, really?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Muffinlord posted:

Wait, really?

SSD has such a long life span now, I forget exactly the math but it would take longer for the SSD to die when constantly writing to it than probably every other piece of equipment.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It is highly unlikely you'll exhaust the write cycles of any current non-poo poo SSD before you would have just trashed the drive to begin with.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Trastion posted:

Is there a thread somewhere to post for help with networking\firewall issues? I am willing to pay for some help so maybe SA Mart?

I need some help with an issue I cannot figure out with a Cisco ASA 5505 and setting up a VPN connection to be able to RDP to a server and also have a shared folder on the desktop of the VPN'ing computer.

I'll take a stab at it if you like. PM me the config and a few words about what's not working.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

SamDabbers posted:

I'll take a stab at it if you like. PM me the config and a few words about what's not working.

PM sent. Thanks! I am almost 100% sure it will be something small and stupid but it's been stumping me for a couple weeks now and I am tired of reading Cisco articles.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

Wait, really?

If your computer has enough ram then the swap won't see much use and might as well be on the SSD so those rare times can be snappy.

If your computer doesn't have enough ram then swap on an SSD is a godsend, making it orders of magnitude more responsive. If you are swapping enough to affect the lifetime of the SSD (unlikely) then you have a workload that would fall over and die if it was swapping to a hard drive.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Huh, now I know. Times have changed, I guess. My user libraries are enormous, though, so I'm going to leave those off my ssd regardless. But this thread taught me something today.

I had a bad scare regarding user satisfaction surveys the other day. A user submitted a negative review based on several pieces of ultimately incorrect information and a bad joke I told about my boss dropping the ball on an equipment request, which would have been enough to get a nasty note, but to make things even better, he submitted it on the wrong ticket, namely one assigned to a technician from another, competing IT contractor. So, it can't be buried under the rug, since our competitor now knows I hosed up.

Anyway, the situation was resolved like a day later, and my track record is largely positive aside from this, so I survive. But it did leave a knot in my stomach until I talked to my boss today and asked him if we're good. He confirmed we are still good.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Not playing anymore may be the best thing to ever happen to me.

But I do need a new spaceships video game, Gratuitous Space Battles is fun but get boring.

Have you checked out Pioneers? http://pioneerspacesim.net/

SEKCobra posted:

How do I check my usage? SSDLife wants me to buy a license.

Depends on which SSD you have, Intel has a tool which will tell you for Intel Drives and I think the Samsung Magician will tell you for Samsung drives. You probably shouldn't buy an SSD at the moment which isn't one of those.
Also all of this SSD chat show how many aren't monitoring the SSD megathread here. While it may have been good advice back in the days of 64gb early generation SSDs to keep swap files etc off them, these days with a good sized SSD from a good brand, throw it all on there and go hog wild. The only reason to not have stuff on an SSD is bulk storage in the TB range. For desktop usage anyway.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
A sales rep filed a ticket this morning to report that he can't make phone calls before around 5:15 am. He gets dead air when he tries, apparently.

We open at 5:30. Our business hours literally do not begin until then. I asked around and found out that the sales manager is coming in at 5:00 and letting people in.

This shouldn't be my problem. This shouldn't be anyone's problem. This shouldn't even be a known issue. People shouldn't be at their desks at 5:00 am. We shouldn't be open until 5:30.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamnit Shoretel. :cripes:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Fortis posted:

A sales rep filed a ticket this morning to report that he can't make phone calls before around 5:15 am. He gets dead air when he tries, apparently.

We open at 5:30. Our business hours literally do not begin until then. I asked around and found out that the sales manager is coming in at 5:00 and letting people in.

This shouldn't be my problem. This shouldn't be anyone's problem. This shouldn't even be a known issue. People shouldn't be at their desks at 5:00 am. We shouldn't be open until 5:30.

Can't you just tell them that the phone system is in night mode until 5:30am, it's working as intended, and close the ticket?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Ticket closed: GO BACK TO SLEEP

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fortis posted:

Escalate ticket to HR to ensure that the almost-certainly off-the-books OT gets paid out. :unsmigghh:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Dravs posted:

Can't you just tell them that the phone system is in night mode until 5:30am, it's working as intended, and close the ticket?

I asked my boss about that right away and he said "we will support whenever people work".

It's a sales driven organization so if the sales reps complain about not being able to make cold calls we need to give it top priority.
It's also a Switchvox system and while we do have a business hours time frame, it doesn't control access at all, it just makes the IVR behave differently if we're closed. So in addition to being stupid, it also doesn't make any sense.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fortis posted:

I asked my boss about that right away and he said "we will support whenever people work".

It's a sales driven organization so if the sales reps complain about not being able to make cold calls we need to give it top priority.
It's also a Switchvox system and while we do have a business hours time frame, it doesn't control access at all, it just makes the IVR behave differently if we're closed. So in addition to being stupid, it also doesn't make any sense.

Wait so your reps make cold calls at 5:30AM?

Have you considered burning down your workplace?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fortis posted:

I really hope they're calling Europe or Asia or something because if I get a sales call at 5 in the goddamn morning I am sure as poo poo going to never buy whatever it is your selling.

EDIT and with a possible side of arson, per the previous post.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Anyone they're calling sure has

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Renegret posted:

Wait so your reps make cold calls at 5:30AM?

Have you considered burning down your workplace?

We're on the west coast and it's B2B sales geared toward industrial companies, so presumably they're calling plants on the east coast. Otherwise they're just leaving a lot of voicemails, which wouldn't really surprise me to be honest.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fortis posted:

Who the heck is he calling at 5:15? Unless he's making calls to another time zone you should just slap him and tell him he's the reason everyone hates telemarketers.

e: vvv Yes, you should still look into it, because if there's an issue preventing the phones from working at 5:15 it might prevent them from working at 8:00 tomorrow, and it's better to solve it before it becomes a real problem.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 16, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fortis posted:

Okay he shouldn't be working those hours but there's no technical reason for your phones to not work all hours of the day right? So you should fix it anyway imho.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

A New Training came in, the network/DC ops/systems/support desk guys are taking a training on KACE now. I didn't even know it was coming since I work separately from them (technically a different company inside the same parent).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My sincere condolences to you.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sirotan posted:

My sincere condolences to you.

Eh, I won't have to work with it unless they want to add our cloud poo poo to it, but they're so deathly afraid of the cloud that I bet they don't even try. I mean I would loving love to do all the poo poo I do on AWS/Rackspace on local servers but our (small) datacenter guys take 2 weeks to give me a VM and refuse to give me vCenter (a vCenter dedicated to our VM environment which is on it's own DMZ) access so I can do it myself. Management will probably continue allowing us to be unique snowflakes as long as our environments keep getting better results on pen tests and PCI compliance tests than the local DC. Also yearly downtime being measured in minutes accross several applications for our environments instead of hours for significantly less applications helps.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:supaburn: "The audio doesn't work in the edit bay" and blah blah blah bitching about how I don't do anything and this problem keeps happening and why do I have a job if I this problem keeps popping up.

Solution: Set the volume slider to something higher than 0.

Really considered just dicking around for half an hour so her package would be too late to air, but I reconsidered.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

:supaburn: "The audio doesn't work in the edit bay" and blah blah blah bitching about how I don't do anything and this problem keeps happening and why do I have a job if I this problem keeps popping up.

Solution: Set the volume slider to something higher than 0.

Really considered just dicking around for half an hour so her package would be too late to air, but I reconsidered.

loving editors

We have some who crash constantly because they refuse to follow our project guidelines. Oh your Final Cut project is 400 megs? Well there's your problem right there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

pr0digal posted:

loving editors

We have some who crash constantly because they refuse to follow our project guidelines. Oh your Final Cut project is 400 megs? Well there's your problem right there.
I agree, but breaking stuff up wrecks the creative flow.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Okay he shouldn't be working those hours but there's no technical reason for your phones to not work all hours of the day right? So you should fix it anyway imho.

It can be fraud control in an open access office to restrict long distance or international calling outside of normal business hours.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fortis posted:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
gently caress printers

A brand new HP CM4540 MFP worked for two-three days before it broke down and wouldn't detect its own harddrive.

We now have a printer with an Intel 520 SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Tickets being reopened by goddamn vacation responses and theres nothing I can do about it :argh:

• Locked thread