Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

White Dog Eggs posted:

That's.... Beautiful.

Anyway, time for actual content! Apologies if this isn't very well written, I'm writing this on my phone whilst waiting for a bus.

When a new season of Game of Thrones starts I make a point of going into all-talk servers and getting everyone to talk about Game of Thrones "So what do you guys think is going to happen?", that sort of thing. When a good chunk of server is joining in on the chat, I blow into a cheap plastic trumpet and announce that unless someone gives me some items that I will shout out Game of Thrones spoilers (I've read all the books sadly). I've been called a "loving book-reading human being", had multiple death threats, one girl threatened to get her boyfriend to hack me, made some-one cry and someone else threaten to kill themselves (the last two happened on the same furry server at the same time), after shouting out a few spoilers someone usually camves in and give me a load of stuff.

However, the real grief comes after someone hands something over. In TF2 you can mute the mic of anyone you don't like very easily, so after I've got my loot I read out instructions on how to mute someone. I let them know that they could have muted me at anytime and everyone flips their poo poo. I actually have one guy who follows me around different servers and try to kill me.

That is beautiful. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Weatherman posted:

That is beautiful. :golfclap:

Agreed, well played.

I've only ever managed to get a few wins on World Of Tanks or other games by mentioning that I knew game of thrones spoilers and that i'd read them out in the event that i'd die. People would block their allies shots to try to stop me from dying, teamkill, etc etc.

After the game is a guaranteed win, I boldly announce something like "Khaleesi gets eaten by her dragons" or "Brandon gets Magical legs". Instant hatemails, death threats, etc. Best part?

I've never read the drat books.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

OxMan posted:

I told a few people FYADs old title because I didn't know/think it was real and accidentally pissed off a couple of friends. FYAD griefs. Oops!
Are we talking crossbow'd on the toilet? That was hilarious. It was such an absurd thing that I thought would never happen so when that scene rolled around I couldn't stop laughing that it was actually going to.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

A friend of mine's dad just discovered TF2. He sent his dad a few hats, and got him informed on how to play and game etiquette and such, and set up some favorite servers for him to play on so he doesn't have to go search through valve servers and stuff to find people to play with.

I erased all of the favorites and replaced them with servers that came up after searching "pony"

Now we wait :allears:

:Edit:

Friend's dad is 59, for reference

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's kind of messed up if he ends up thinking that's what TF2 is and is turned off from it entirely.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

That's kind of messed up if he ends up thinking that's what TF2 is and is turned off from it entirely.

Family intervention is much more likely.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
There's griefing, then there's just crimes against humanity.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

personally, I think a better grief would be teaching him how to put up his spray, then secretly replacing it with some special brand of shock image. But that's just me.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

TheSpiritFox posted:

A friend of mine's dad just discovered TF2. He sent his dad a few hats, and got him informed on how to play and game etiquette and such, and set up some favorite servers for him to play on so he doesn't have to go search through valve servers and stuff to find people to play with.

I erased all of the favorites and replaced them with servers that came up after searching "pony"

Now we wait :allears:

:Edit:

Friend's dad is 59, for reference

Good Grief!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I wanted to play TF2 with my dad, but somehow the bookmarks got mixed up and now my dad won't ever go on steam. :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

neogeo0823 posted:

personally, I think a better grief would be teaching him how to put up his spray, then secretly replacing it with some special brand of shock image. But that's just me.

"Hi dad! I'm gay! -Love, Son"

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Chomp8645 posted:

Did this thread finally get rid of (or stop enforcing) the rule that every post had to have griefing content? What a stupid loving idea that was. Now I can follow the thread again!
You can't follow a thread unless you're free to make meaningless comments and contribute nothing?

Anyways Jace Connors is an animal, one time he was making such a fuss on stream that his mom kicked him out of the house so he started streaming from his car, and when she came down to the garage to yell at him there he drove off in it. Everything he does is such an unreal over the top trainwreck it's unbelievable he isn't a troll.

wuat is an animal too, he loving ruins every game he plays for everyone, he doesn't care. We tried to get him to play CS:GO, he got in his car and drove straight to VAC ban town. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy-jCWaXRzA

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Jace Connors is great, it's like all the schadenfreude of Chris-Chan without any of the moral handwringing because he's not autistic, just a huge loser.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

OxMan posted:

I told a few people FYADs old title because I didn't know/think it was real and accidentally pissed off a couple of friends. FYAD griefs. Oops!

I couldn't help but shout "Those Bastards!" when I realized what was in the FYAD title was actually going to happen.

I'm reading the books so that will never happen again.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

tomanton posted:

wuat is an animal too, he loving ruins every game he plays for everyone, he doesn't care. We tried to get him to play CS:GO, he got in his car and drove straight to VAC ban town. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy-jCWaXRzA

This was pretty great.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

TheSpiritFox posted:

If you'd REALLY wanted to be evil, you'd have made the search term "furry."

:munch:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I couldn't help but shout "Those Bastards!" when I realized what was in the FYAD title was actually going to happen.

I'm reading the books so that will never happen again.

The funniest part of all this is that for years, us book readers have been spoiling the show-watchers. Given the Mountain That Does Not Write's rate of progress, pretty soon it's going to be the show watchers spoiling the readers.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Preechr posted:

The funniest part of all this is that for years, us book readers have been spoiling the show-watchers. Given the Mountain That Does Not Write's rate of progress, pretty soon it's going to be the show watchers spoiling the readers.

From what I've seen of the Bad Thread, they'd relish just having closure on the series.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Dizz posted:

"Hi dad! I'm gay! -Love, Son"

He actually is gay, and his family is cool with it.

This isn't a dad who will sign on and see ponies shooting each other and punch the computer screen.

This is a dad who will be very confused and start asking questions of the other people on the server in chat and then end up googling "Brony"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

end up googling "Brony"

that is a very mean thing to make a person do

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1Ay85de3U

Just a repost of the only good TF2 grief in this thread

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

TheSpiritFox posted:

He actually is gay, and his family is cool with it.

This isn't a dad who will sign on and see ponies shooting each other and punch the computer screen.

This is a dad who will be very confused and start asking questions of the other people on the server in chat and then end up googling "Brony"

To hell with these reverse-griefs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doodles posted:

If you'd REALLY wanted to be evil, you'd have made the search term "furry."

:munch:

There's not going to be much difference between the two

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
For a pretty good while now, it's been possible to set up your own Ultima Online servers or "shards," which can be pretty fun even though it's a huge pain in the rear end to get it working(or at least, it was when I was involved with one, may be we were just retarded). Despite its ancient engine, there's an incredible lot of things that can be done just with the built-in interface if you're an admin. You can, for instance, spawn a dragon, and with a couple of commands sprite-swap it with a squirrel. You can make terrible cursed items. You can make invisible walls. You can take a perfectly ordinary squirrel and buff its stats into the stratosphere so it's more dangerous than any dragon ever would be.

But really, that's all pretty pedestrian stuff, even if funny sometimes. No, the real fun in being an admin is that you can switch on perfect invisibility and stalk around, watching over everyone and peeking in on what they're doing.

During slow periods, when I wasn't doing any sort of actual upkeep(packing customized loot into dungeons, setting up little quest chains with their own clues, adjusting spawns, etc.) I'd switch on my admin-invisibility and use the Teleport To command to hop around between everyone currently online and see what was going on, whether everything was working as it should, whether someone needed a few custom spawns to liven up their day, maybe an NPC-granted quest or task for some variety, so forth.

I wasn't expecting, however, to find one player having invited another aboard his FABULOUS SHIP and pitifully attempting to e-score while sailing her across the romantic seas.

Now, as someone's mentioned earlier, ships in UO are steered by way of yelling out commands. TURN. FORWARD. BACK. STOP. Etc. As it turns out, the ship doesn't care WHO aboard it is yelling commands, and even if your admin yelling is invisible to other people(his dialogue also being invisible), it's not invisible to the ship. So I spent a good ten minutes getting a laugh out of constantly disrupting his terrible roleplaying and attempts at scoring some cybersex by repeatedly steering his ship in circles, into sea monsters, up to hostile shorelines full of monsters with ranged attacks and so on while he frantically tried to regain control of his ship and yelled at it to get back on course, apparently believing it to be either possessed or bugged.

Not exactly a lot of rage, since he didn't know someone was intentionally messing with him, but loving up the breed of roleplayer who attempt to score public cybersex in MMO's never gets old to me.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This isn't exactly griefing but it involves rage over video games so I'm gonna post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9dIEeYSklc

"So yeah, you're gay" :smugdog: *lovely Spark Mandrill MIDI*

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PurpleXVI posted:

Not exactly a lot of rage, since he didn't know someone was intentionally messing with him, but loving up the breed of roleplayer who attempt to score public cybersex in MMO's never gets old to me.

You are actually a good admin. Well played, that's pretty funny.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love the mental image of a guy thinking he'll woo anyone when he's shouting out directions every few seconds.

"Yes, this is the finest wine from the valleys of LEFT! southern Elfingtonhamshire. Picked and refined by the most skilled RIGHT! FASTER! artisans."

"You eyes are like limpet pools FULL STOP! of moonlight."

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

:clint: Son?
:gay: Yeah?
:clint: Do you...do you want to date ponies now?
:stare: Uh, what?
:clint: These people you play with seem to all want to date ponies...
:stare: You found a brony server...
:clint: All the servers you set me up on were... I thought you were trying to tell me something
:stare: Let me make a phone call...

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Amazing

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Positively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VKaA8ruf4

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

For a pretty good while now, it's been possible to set up your own Ultima Online servers or "shards," which can be pretty fun even though it's a huge pain in the rear end to get it working(or at least, it was when I was involved with one, may be we were just retarded). Despite its ancient engine, there's an incredible lot of things that can be done just with the built-in interface if you're an admin. You can, for instance, spawn a dragon, and with a couple of commands sprite-swap it with a squirrel. You can make terrible cursed items. You can make invisible walls. You can take a perfectly ordinary squirrel and buff its stats into the stratosphere so it's more dangerous than any dragon ever would be.

But really, that's all pretty pedestrian stuff, even if funny sometimes. No, the real fun in being an admin is that you can switch on perfect invisibility and stalk around, watching over everyone and peeking in on what they're doing.

During slow periods, when I wasn't doing any sort of actual upkeep(packing customized loot into dungeons, setting up little quest chains with their own clues, adjusting spawns, etc.) I'd switch on my admin-invisibility and use the Teleport To command to hop around between everyone currently online and see what was going on, whether everything was working as it should, whether someone needed a few custom spawns to liven up their day, maybe an NPC-granted quest or task for some variety, so forth.

I wasn't expecting, however, to find one player having invited another aboard his FABULOUS SHIP and pitifully attempting to e-score while sailing her across the romantic seas.

Now, as someone's mentioned earlier, ships in UO are steered by way of yelling out commands. TURN. FORWARD. BACK. STOP. Etc. As it turns out, the ship doesn't care WHO aboard it is yelling commands, and even if your admin yelling is invisible to other people(his dialogue also being invisible), it's not invisible to the ship. So I spent a good ten minutes getting a laugh out of constantly disrupting his terrible roleplaying and attempts at scoring some cybersex by repeatedly steering his ship in circles, into sea monsters, up to hostile shorelines full of monsters with ranged attacks and so on while he frantically tried to regain control of his ship and yelled at it to get back on course, apparently believing it to be either possessed or bugged.

Is UO still good for griefing and such? I want to get into a game where I can grief as lovely as in EVE, but I really don't want to find a small community again I can do it with.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

This isn't exactly griefing but it involves rage over video games so I'm gonna post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9dIEeYSklc

"So yeah, you're gay" :smugdog: *lovely Spark Mandrill MIDI*

This is just a play off of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jQkxsEbnS4

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Wait really? God dammit

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
He still thinks that playing a few chords is impressive so it's really just as sad/funny.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nickiepoo posted:

He still thinks that playing a few chords is impressive so it's really just as sad/funny.

I would have been impressed if it was the Spark Mandrill soundtrack. I would love to get that in my inbox.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Ultima Online

I don't know if another goon already said it, but there was an event where Lord British (yes, supposedly the actual Richard Garriot) came online to chat with the server. He was really there to answer a few questions and to advertise his new game. Anyways, he was so loving boring and scripted that goon-guild left. Now, the event was in his castle, and no horses were allowed in, no mounts. So what do we do? We start killing every single mount that was parked outside of the castle. Some mounts were bound to their owner, yes, but others weren't.

Now, if you haven't played UO before, some of these mounts are rare, some are extremely hard to get and tame and bind to their owner. Dead, all loving dead while they heard Lord British spill his crap.

A huge bonus. A nightmare, the most powerful and rarest of mounts, attacked by a goon, followed him outside of the city, all the way back to his house. He trapped the nightmare and waited however many days before being able to tame it himself. This is grief x3, because the original owner only had so many slots of followers until his nightmare became untamed, and it was a nightmare, and because it "found" a new owner.

As for me, I just killed mounts with as little resources as possible, dying a lot, since each attack meant guards could kill you if they were summoned by an observing player. I kept under a bridge with another couple of goons to lower the chances. However, someone attacked me while "grey" yet not "criminal" (a funny quirk about UO which is 100% intended) and I was able to kill that person and loot his body entirely.

EverQuest

I played a necromancer, the most envied of classes for a very long time during the first two expansions. They had every little tool you can imagine, including the spell at level 16 (loving hell I can't believe I actually remember the level, yes it was THAT addicting) called Feign Death, which mimiced the ability monks possessed to lose all aggression from any pursuing NPC.

This first story takes place at my newbie levels, when I really didn't know poo poo about EverQuest. I was an Erudite, for anyone who knows. Us evil erudites begin on Paineel, in a city on an island that's pretty loving hard to begin on. I went carefully through Erudin, and on the boat to the mainland. I had to go through the Qeynos sewers to get safely through the city, since I'm KOS to too many NPCs. Lots of bad poo poo down there.

I came across a corpse, and got my first PM from a non-real-life friend, someone who wanted me to drag her body across the sewers to a safe spot. I was really a newbie, I had to ask for the commands to do such a thing, etc. So I'm dragging this loving body, and come across an NPC necromancer, who immediately attacks me. I'm dragging this body down some water tunnels without thinking, and then load into another zone. I don't think about it for another second and ignore the PMs I get from this person.

About 55 levels later this same person who I completely forgot messages me saying how much she hates me, how she lost all of her equipment because I dragged her body somewhere she couldn't find. I couldn't help but laugh in reality at the situation. She was also a necromancer, same level, in a rival guild. It was pretty hilarious.

Also trained hostile NPCs onto rival guilds later on. It's part of the code!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new ss13 grif

Matty posted:

Agreed. In fact, making friends as a traitor actually saved me once!

I had a great traitor round a week ago, in which I Spawned as a doctor (which is one of the best jobs for helpful treason) Bought a sleepy pen and began to buy poison bottles. Cyanide? kinda meh.. Curare? Now we're getting somewhere! Initropidil? Jackpot! I bought another bottle and examined it
code:
contains 40 units of gibbis
Holy poo poo! 'Gibbis' to the uninitiated, is a disease reagent that causes gbs, a disease that instead of causing shitposting :haw: eventually causes the target to fall on the floor, convulse, and then dissolve into diseased chunks.

Nothing causes panic like a gbs epidemic..

With gibbis bottle in hand, I went to chemistry and using a large container portioned 10 units into carefully measured 1 unit doses, and proceeded to start penning people with rapidity. a short time after i started yelling about a gbs epidemic, but the other doctors didn't believe me, thats is until a very unwell looking assistant stumbled into the medbay lobby, collapsed, and then exploded in a gory mess. The screams from the medical staff were hilarious.

Unusually, medbay was not only fully staffed, but all the doctors and the med were pretty competent, which would save my life later in the story. With the gbs epidemic confirmed, the station erupted into full blown panic. People began to arrive in the medbay lobby, with the medical staff, kitted out in biohazard suits, scanned them and tried to keep them calm. While i was scanning people, i was also penning them with gbs, of course.

Chaos was enveloping the medbay as news spread of the epidemic, scuffles broke out, and security arrived and (to thier credit) began trying to calm the situation. Soon, we discovered that gbs could actually be cured by putting people in cryo (the first time i've seen cryo used so heavily) All the while i was busy infecting more people with gbs. I even infected myself deliberately at one point, to look innocent.

Seeing how effectively the cryo nwas stemming the tide, I came up with a plan. I volunteered to go make some more cryoxadone for the cryo cells, and secretly slipped a small amount of gbs and intro into the cryo beakers while no one was looking. Que another wave of gbs, and people having heart attacks in the cryo tubes, which continued until the medical doctor twigged what was up, pulled the beakers out, and angrily asked; "WHICH rear end in a top hat FILLED THE CRYO BEAKERS WITH GBS??"

I decided not to do that again incase suspicion fell on me, so I purposely made fresh uncontaminated cryoxadone and made sure the md and medical staff could see how helpful I was being. It was at this point, that a rear end in a top hat hopped up vigilante with a looted radbow and wrestling belt blindsided me and proceeded to wrestle me into crit, claiming i was a traitor, as i was "messing with the cryo" when ironically, i had been putting uncontaminated beakers in at the time. Obviously I cried and yelled my head off about a traitor in the medbay murdering me.

As i fell into crit, I later learned that while I was unconscious the medical staff, who I had been working with (and also secretly working against) gang rushed the vigilante, beat the poo poo out of him and took away his gear, then healed me from the brink of death. They were so unsuspicious of me that no one checked my pockets (which had a bottle of gibbs and a sleepy pen in them)and I escaped alive on the shuttle with my objectives complete, and a very angry vigilante in deadchat.

e. despite acting helpful and actually saving a few people, at least 30 people still died from gbs/fights/heart attacks. Good times!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Facecams are the worst thing to happen to LPs and the best thing to happen to griefing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

tomanton posted:

Facecams are the worst thing to happen to LPs

Nah, they're good sometimes when it's not spergs using it as a crutch and when there's reason enough for it. The worst thing to happen to LPs is sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, they're good sometimes when it's not spergs using it as a crutch and when there's reason enough for it. The worst thing to happen to LPs is sweden.

tomanton posted:

Facecams are the worst thing to happen to LPs and the best thing to happen to griefing

LPs are only made by spergs, LP facecams made by spergs are always poo poo, therefore LP facecams are always poo poo

• Locked thread