Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is it fascism yet posted:

So has been interpreting them as a reason for upheaval and war. you have a very selevtive view on religious history if you seriously claim christianity as mainly pacifist.

You're the one who claimed that pacifism in Christianity is an invention of liberal humanism.

Of course I recognize that glorifying war is a centuries-old interpretation of Christianity. That's how Christianity was first co-opted from a cult that refused to worship the emperor into a state religion that celebrated conquest and empire and made the emperor the divine instrument of God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Was serious?! Haha okay, I'll just be charitable and assume that your support of imperialism is a piss-poor troll attempting to make Christians look bad. Either way though I'm just gonna stop responding to you.

I'm not Christian, but anyone who is/was ideologically opposed to the Iraq War - I'm not talking about the propaganda surrounding it, the execution, or the outcome - is at best ignorant and at worst morally monstrous. Hussein caused around a million deaths in a span of 24 years, committed genocide against the Kurds, invaded Iran, invaded and annexed Kuwait, created a monumental environmental catastrophe with the Kuwaiti oil fires, funded terrorists in the Levant, attempted to acquire ballistic missiles from North Korea, and insisted (even if at the time he lacked the ability to do so) that he would one day acquire nuclear weaponry. You could forget about half these feats and the remaining list would still constitute one of the most prolifically appalling regimes in history. You have no excuse for hiding behind phrases like "support of imperialism" when you dispute the moral and political legitimacy of the campaign against him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

Actually, even in theory, granting special privileges to one ethnic-religious group is a dumbass idea, with predictable outcomes.

It's not a special privilege. I'm just saying be care to how you go after the theocracy advocates lest you rule out possibility of progress.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Peta posted:

I'm not Christian, but anyone who is/was ideologically opposed to the Iraq War - I'm not talking about the propaganda surrounding it, the execution, or the outcome - is at best ignorant and at worst morally monstrous. Hussein caused around a million deaths in a span of 24 years, committed genocide against the Kurds, invaded Iran, invaded and annexed Kuwait, created a monumental environmental catastrophe with the Kuwaiti oil fires, funded terrorists in the Levant, attempted to acquire ballistic missiles from North Korea, and insisted (even if at the time he lacked the ability to do so) that he would one day acquire nuclear weaponry. You could forget about half these feats and the remaining list would still constitute one of the most prolifically appalling regimes in history. You have no excuse for hiding behind phrases like "support of imperialism" when you dispute the moral and political legitimacy of the campaign against him.

You are just adorable. :allears:

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You are just adorable. :allears:

This post does not a refutation of his point make, also, the :allears: smiley is really terrible and you are most likely an idiot for using it.

But please, tell me more about your sweet posting :allears: :allears: :allears:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

You're the one who claimed that pacifism in Christianity is an invention of liberal humanism.

Of course I recognize that glorifying war is a centuries-old interpretation of Christianity. That's how Christianity was first co-opted from a cult that refused to worship the emperor into a state religion that celebrated conquest and empire and made the emperor the divine instrument of God.

oh you mean political pacifism? yeah i'd need an historical example of that. do you have a wikipedia link about christian sects who had political pacifist views, this is news to me.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I, too, call myself a leftist while slapping the imperialism label on military intervention in a impoverished and highly stratified society run by the governmental equivalent of a mafia family, the dictatorial head of which kills around 30,000 people a year.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey guys, the Iraq War was justified because <list of reasons that had jack and poo poo to do with why America invaded>

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Hey guys, the Iraq War was justified because <list of reasons that had jack and poo poo to do with why America invaded>

Agreed: The soundness of a decision hinges purely on the propaganda spouted by the agent making the decision.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The campaign against him was based on fabricated evidence. The people advocating invasion essentially used the US army as their own personal tool to reshape the middle east. They made some wrong assumptions, and we now have an Iraq that is basically destroying itself. This in spite of the billions spent and hundreds of thousands of iraqi deaths. It is the greatest foreign policy failure of the US government since Vietnam. That someone in 2014 can see the Iraq Invasion as anything other than a joke speaks to the human capacity for self-deception.

Incidentally, can you guess why Iraq is fracturing? It may have had something to do with Maliki stuffing shia muslims into all levels of government, thereby creating tension with the sunni and kurds! Granting power to one ethnic group over all others leads to terrible results, who knew? This might be relevant to theocratic governments!

BrandorKP posted:

It's not a special privilege. I'm just saying be care to how you go after the theocracy advocates lest you rule out possibility of progress.
Nah, you were right on the money with the idea of progress, I was going after peta.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 16, 2014

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
The Iraq war was a great Idea, but the execution was not so great.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

A million deaths over a span of 24 years in a country that, as of 2014, has around 30 million inhabitants? That is pretty bad ... but not as bad as the propaganda and fabricated evidence that fuel western imperialism, haha.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fucker posted:

This post does not a refutation of his point make, also, the :allears: smiley is really terrible and you are most likely an idiot for using it.

But please, tell me more about your sweet posting :allears: :allears: :allears:

Yes, truly it is I who is the fool for not engaging with a clear troll post in a thread already at least half gone to poo poo. If only I'd not used casual sarcasm to indicate that I thought he was a twit who no one ought take seriously, then surely we could pursue the burning question of whether the Iraq War a great idea, or the greatest possible idea, here in a thread ostensibly about theocracy! This is a good point to make, forums poster "Fucker." I am not being sarcastic. You are not a total loving moron.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

rudatron posted:

The campaign against him was based on fabricated evidence. The people advocating invasion essentially used the US army as their own personal tool to reshape the middle east. They made some wrong assumptions, and we now have an Iraq that is basically destroying itself. This in spite of the billions spent and hundreds of thousands of iraqi deaths. It is the greatest foreign policy failure of the US government in the 21st century, and at least since the Vietnam war.

Incidentally, can you guess why Iraq is fracturing? It may have had something to do with Maliki stuffing shia muslims into all levels of government, thereby creating tension with the sunni and kurds! Granting power to one ethnic group over all others leads to terrible results, who knew? This might be relevant to theocratic governments!

Peta posted:

I'm not talking about the propaganda surrounding it, the execution, or the outcome

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey the Iraq War is pretty great, except for the reasons we invaded, the actual objectives of the people in charge, everything about it, oh and also the outcome.

But you know, great idea in theory. Why, once America noticed that Saddam was a bad guy (coincidentally right when funding his atrocities stopped advancing American political interests) my goodness we had a moral duty to stop him!

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Hey the Iraq War is pretty great, except for the reasons we invaded, the actual objectives of the people in charge, everything about it, oh and also the outcome.

But you know, great idea in theory. Why, once America noticed that Saddam was a bad guy (coincidentally right when funding his atrocities stopped advancing American political interests) my goodness we had a moral duty to stop him!

We had a moral duty to stop him long before the decision was made to invade. It's not my fault that it never happened. It's also not my fault that the Bush administration poorly executed the endeavor. It's been clear from the start that I've been giving Iraq as an instance to which just war theory applies. I have also never defended either the objectives of the Bush administration. It's not hard to separate my actual claims from those irrelevant details. You are really dumb, haha.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I can run mental circles around anyone here so don't even try arguing with me

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yes, truly it is I who is the fool for not engaging with a clear troll post in a thread already at least half gone to poo poo. If only I'd not used casual sarcasm to indicate that I thought he was a twit who no one ought take seriously, then surely we could pursue the burning question of whether the Iraq War a great idea, or the greatest possible idea, here in a thread ostensibly about theocracy! This is a good point to make, forums poster "Fucker." I am not being sarcastic. You are not a total loving moron.

You're a fool for engaging him with a worthless sarcastic post that serves to reduce him to a "clear troll no one ought take seriously" because it's an opposing opinion you can't properly argue with, here, in the Debate and Discussion forum.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Part of the 'just war' is that you can actually make the world a better place through war: The current situation in Iraq is actually much worse than under Saddam. But okay, you're pleading a special exception. On what grounds are you making this special exception? In reality, 2014 Iraq is actually the inevitable result of trying to create a nation-state without there existing a real nationality. There is nothing the US could have done or spent money on, in any realistic scenario, that would have resulted in a successful outcome. It was not a 'botched' operation, it was doomed to fail from the start.

Like I'm not even arguing against Just War as a concept, but you couldn't have chosen a worse example of when making war is not necessary, and in fact is a really dumb idea.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 16, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

The people advocating invasion essentially used the US army as their own personal tool to reshape the middle east.

In my Naval Science classes I remember we spent a lot of time on just war theory, like weeks specifically on the topic of the Iraq war. We also did non-violent resistance. It's actually kind-of humorous looking back. While the origins of the ideas and alternative ideas were discussed, there was a lot of these are the navy's procedures for these things that went on.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

The current situation in Iraq is actually much worse than under Saddam. But okay, you're pleading a special exception. On what grounds are you making this special exception?

I actually disagree with this: it depends on which sectarian group you are part of. The Kurds are much better off, the Sunnis much worse of, and the Shiites....depending on which part of the country.

quote:

In reality, 2014 Iraq is actually the inevitable result of trying to create a nation-state without there existing a real nationality. There is nothing the US could have done or spent money on, in any realistic scenario, that would have resulted in a successful outcome. It was not a 'botched' operation, it was doomed to fail from the start.
No it was not.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

you have a very selevtive view on religious history if you seriously claim christianity as mainly pacifist.
The thing is that prior to Constantine (around 312ce) it was pacifist, as were the early Church fathers. The ethics of Christianity radically changed to accommodate it to serve Rome militarily and administratively after that point. As it was originally conceived Christianity was a religion of a disempower minority, not a ruling class.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Typo posted:

No it was not.
If we look at some of Iraq's neighbors with similar divided demographics, Lebanon and Syria, we see nations that have frequently erupted into sectarian violence. Syria is a meat grinder and Lebanon is held together with scotch tape. To government build in these regions you need very competent administrators at the helm that know what they're going into or else everything will literally blow up in their faces. The Bush administration came in with a totally deluded idea of what would happen when Saddam was gone. Maybe things could have gone differently with a different President at the helm but as it stands Bush was the wrong person in the wrong place. loving up deba'athification from the start of the war set Iraq unto the path it is now.

If we're going to derail into Iraq talk just close the thread.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 17, 2014

ClumsyHandjob
Dec 27, 2012

oh you mean political pacifism? yeah i'd need an historical example of that. do you have a wikipedia link about christian sects who had political pacifist views, this is news to me.

Are Anabaptists and Church of the Brethren too new? I think some of them don't even believe in self defense. Or am I misunderstanding your point?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
In defense of pacifism, Leo Tolstoy, author of War and Peace was an ardent believer in it. He wrote a book called The Kingdom of God Is Within You in which he explained how he believed the essential message of Christ's teaching was non-violence, to the point of martyrdom if need be. He justified this primarily by the "resist not evil" and "turn the other cheek" teachings in the sermon on the mount, as well as Christ's willingness to die without fighting. He believed all war, physical coercion, etc. to be the ultimate evil. He criticized all church traditions as compromising Jesus's true message. And he seemed to believe all of the miracles were merely symbolic. Nonetheless he considered himself a Christian first and foremost.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

BrandorKP posted:

I happen to be obsessed with [Nietzsche].
Why?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He's good.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I understand that many anarchists and some Christians want to embrace Nietzsche, but Nietzsche openly stated that the two ideologies were the same thing (the ultimate embodiment of slave morality/ressentiment) and he hated both. How do you reconcile the Will to Power with Jesus Christ? I have thought on this before and not come to a satisfactory answer.
E: What is Brandor's opinion?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Negative Entropy posted:

I understand that many anarchists and some Christians want to embrace Nietzsche, but Nietzsche openly stated that the two ideologies were the same thing (the ultimate embodiment of slave morality/ressentiment) and he hated both. How do you reconcile the Will to Power with Jesus Christ? I have thought on this before and not come to a satisfactory answer.

To me, Nietzsche is the ultimate "man without God." He is the ultimate man that lives only for himself, with just his own pride to keep him company. He rages against the night and the light. Father Seraphim Rose said it best in his book Nihilism: “Atheism, true 'existential' atheism burning with hatred of a seemingly unjust or unmerciful God, is a spiritual state; it is a real attempt to grapple with the true God.… Nietzsche, in calling himself Antichrist, proved thereby his intense hunger for Christ.” Nietzsche burned deep with a hatred; he saw the light and he chose to go away from it.

His ethical work aside, I value Nietzsche as an epistemologist first and foremost. His writings about the feebleness of both philosophy and science are fantastic, as it shows the pride inherent in us all for thinking that we can understand anything. There is a famous story about St. Nicholas Planas. One day he was accused of stealing by some other priests and he stood up for them even though they had falsely accused him. He kept saying "No, no, Fr. John wouldn't do that!" and "Fr. Ephraim would never say that about me, he is a good man!" The bishop eventually said to him, "Papa Nicholas! You would say now that even Satan is good!" To which St. Nicholas replied, "Yes, of course! Without him, how would we know the depths of our spiritual fortitude?" I believe the same about Friedrich Nietzsche.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm imagining a wave of neoconservative 20-year-old post-2010 regdates about to lecture us smugly on the necessity of wars that took place when they were children. They'll all be berry unique of course, with rationales that span the gamut from theocratical to atheist.

I don't know whether to drink or laugh. Is this what it means to grow old?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SedanChair posted:

I'm imagining a wave of neoconservative 20-year-old post-2010 regdates about to lecture us smugly on the necessity of wars that took place when they were children. They'll all be berry unique of course, with rationales that span the gamut from theocratical to atheist.

People that disagree with me are terrifying.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Smoking Crow posted:

To me, Nietzsche is the ultimate "man without God." He is the ultimate man that lives only for himself, with just his own pride to keep him company. He rages against the night and the light. Father Seraphim Rose said it best in his book Nihilism: “Atheism, true 'existential' atheism burning with hatred of a seemingly unjust or unmerciful God, is a spiritual state; it is a real attempt to grapple with the true God.… Nietzsche, in calling himself Antichrist, proved thereby his intense hunger for Christ.” Nietzsche burned deep with a hatred; he saw the light and he chose to go away from it.

His ethical work aside, I value Nietzsche as an epistemologist first and foremost. His writings about the feebleness of both philosophy and science are fantastic, as it shows the pride inherent in us all for thinking that we can understand anything. There is a famous story about St. Nicholas Planas. One day he was accused of stealing by some other priests and he stood up for them even though they had falsely accused him. He kept saying "No, no, Fr. John wouldn't do that!" and "Fr. Ephraim would never say that about me, he is a good man!" The bishop eventually said to him, "Papa Nicholas! You would say now that even Satan is good!" To which St. Nicholas replied, "Yes, of course! Without him, how would we know the depths of our spiritual fortitude?" I believe the same about Friedrich Nietzsche.

Yes Nietzsche is very interesting. He saw the "death of God", by which he meant society losing faith in God, as an absolutely crucial event for human society, which would have far reaching effects that were only beginning to unfurl. He was deathly afraid that it spelled the victory of nihilism, which would mean the tragic decline and death of the species. So, he tried to create a new and alternative philosophy, neither religious values nor nihilism, which humanity could embrace that would save it from destruction; this new humanity would be so fundamentally altered by its new guiding philosophy that it would essentially become a new, and more advanced species.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you cast Nietzsche as the ultimate other (with all the respect and special interest involved in that), then you've projected any opposition onto one dimension! To call him the ultimate 'man without God' is to both define yourself, in opposition, and man in general, as on the spectrum. When you see yourself standing up to this great other (with your spiritual fortitude and what-not), you are in the process of framing the issue as one of conflict and competing interests. That necessitates a different response then a problem about rational inconsistencies or social relations.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 17, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

I think that you are misinterpreting what was said in such a blatant way that it almost must be deliberate. I was, of course, younger than you during the lead-up to Iraq, but what people criticized was not removing Saddam Hussein from power, but rather the prospect of imperial exploitation of Iraq afterwards, the utterly insane occupation/reconstruction proposals, the use of constantly-shifting lies to drum up support for the war, etc. If you think it's leftist to support the Ba'ath Party of Iraq, which purged all of its leftists before Saddam took power, you may be a jackass in politico's clothing. If you think it's just to believe that removing a mass-murderer and tyrant that had repeatedly invaded other nations was an inherently immoral action, you may be a crass rear end in a top hat. If you've the opinion of many cod-leftists, that having done the wrong thing once, nations/the USA should never do anything again, you've all the brainpower of a particularly stupid amoeba.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Even if blatantly refusing to read a post isn't against the rules, it's still childish behavior, especially when your response makes no sense in comparison to what was actually said.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You think it takes more than four minutes to read a paragraph of neoconservative barf?

quote:

If you think it's just to believe that removing a mass-murderer and tyrant that had repeatedly invaded other nations was an inherently immoral action, you may be a crass rear end in a top hat. If you've the opinion of many cod-leftists, that having done the wrong thing once, nations/the USA should never do anything again, you've all the brainpower of a particularly stupid amoeba.
/

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Every time I think this thread can't get any worse, I'm proven wrong. It's like magic. I'm now convinced that not only is god real but that he hates each of us personally.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

You think it takes more than four minutes to read a paragraph of neoconservative barf?

That's not a neoconservative position. Neoconservatism is about the imposition of American/western power on other nations, on the grounds that American democracy is the best form of government. Saying that removing Saddam Hussein from power was a good thing is not inherently neoconservative, unless we are to take the position that the USA was opposing neoconservatism when it supported the Pinochet government and the Brazilian junta. Please, explain the justification under which removing Saddam Hussein, as an action in and of itself, is a morally neutral or immoral action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Most neoconservatives don't call themselves neoconservative.

quote:

Please, explain the justification under which removing Saddam Hussein, as an action in and of itself, is a morally neutral or immoral action.
/

• Locked thread