Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah those picture sets really drive home just how few people live within the "guaranteed hosed up" zones surrounding an eruption of Yellowstone. A whole 120-180 miles out and there's still just 11 million people, while within 120 miles there's just 640,000.

It's flyover country anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

zoux posted:

Sensationalized documentaries were the primary source of terror for youthful me.

And they focus on the wrong things. Think of all the freely available magma energy that would spark new economies in Utah and Nevada.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zoux posted:

make believe carrier sinking hadoukens

Thanks rear end in a top hat for making me laugh in the middle of a coworker's presentation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there like an official US summary of the war-game that would be publically available somewhere that might have more detail?

Probably not for another few decades as war game results are not something you really want to make easy for other countries to get their hands on. Though at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the goal of day 1/round 1 of the millenium challenge was to see what would happen if a coma patient was put in command of the blue force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ufarn posted:

The Cascadia earthquake or a Yellowstone eruption, which will gently caress over North America first, pull up your lawn chairs, Europe!

Eh, the Cascadia quake seems fairly limited; it wouldn't even damage the part of California that people care about.

zoux posted:

It's flyover country anyways.

A fair amount of corn would die though and that would have severe economic repercussions.

(and more importantly, it's highly likely you couldn't replant crops for a while either)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the health benefits of getting off HFCS will offset the health risks of global cooling.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Eh, the Cascadia quake seems fairly limited; it wouldn't even damage the part of California that people care about.

A fair amount of corn would die though and that would have severe economic repercussions.

(and more importantly, it's highly likely you couldn't replant crops for a while either)

The grain lands are good deal farther away from Yellowstone.

Most of our grain lands are located in areas projected to get no more than 6 centimeters of ash in case of Yellowstone erupting:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

What do the models say about particulate deposit in the atmosphere?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read or heard or someone told me that all those models are based on false worst-case scenarios cooked up by anti-nuke activists like Carl Sagan to make nuclear winter into an unsurvivable ELE. I don't know how true it is.

I mean, yeah good idea because we want people to be terrified of even moderate nuclear exchanges, but I'm not sure that there is good data out there about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most of our grain lands are located in areas projected to get no more than 6 centimeters of ash in case of Yellowstone erupting:

Most yes, but a significant portion (Nebraska, Iowa, etc) are covered under Zones 4 & 5.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Republicans just filibusted the Dem's Hobby Lobby fix bill. Should be hammered in every close race around the country.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mcmagic posted:

Republicans just filibusted the Dem's Hobby Lobby fix bill. Should be hammered in every close race around the country.

I'm pretty sure that's the plan. It's not like anyone thought the House would take up the bill if it had passed.

Patty Murray, the bill's sponsor, is talking about Todd Akin at her post-vote presser.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

mcmagic posted:

The IRS scandal deserves more attention than the silly Hobby Lobby decision.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

I read or heard or someone told me that all those models are based on false worst-case scenarios cooked up by anti-nuke activists like Carl Sagan to make nuclear winter into an unsurvivable ELE. I don't know how true it is.

I mean, yeah good idea because we want people to be terrified of even moderate nuclear exchanges, but I'm not sure that there is good data out there about it.

Here are observations, then, on the 1991 Pinatubo eruption.

TLDR: "The Pinatubo climate forcing was stronger than the opposite, warming effects of either the El Niņo event or anthropogenic greenhouse gases in the period 1991-93."

And that's a wet firecracker compared to a Yellowstone caldera eruption. Pinatubo sent up ~8.4-10.4 km^3 of ejecta while Yellowstone's last eruption sent up approximately 1000 km^3.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 16, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Amergin posted:

The IRS scandal deserves more attention than the silly Hobby Lobby decision.

I agree. It's a scandal that the IRS has been bullied into stopping vetting these clearly political groups requesting tax free status for "public service."

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I agree. It's a scandal that the IRS has been bullied into stopping vetting these clearly political groups requesting tax free status for "public service."

They were clearly discriminatory in their use of search terms and pretty blatantly destroyed evidence with those hard drives.

I think the liberal parroting of "well of COURSE they'd focus on groups who are anti-tax" is willful ignorance and whitewashing. It was a politically-motivated hunt.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Amergin posted:

They were clearly discriminatory in their use of search terms and pretty blatantly destroyed evidence with those hard drives.

I think the liberal parroting of "well of COURSE they'd focus on groups who are anti-tax" is willful ignorance and whitewashing. It was a politically-motivated hunt.

I just want to say you're really good at what you do. It raises my blood pressure even though I know full well you don't mean any of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Here are observations, then, on the 1991 Pinatubo eruption.

TLDR: "The Pinatubo climate forcing was stronger than the opposite, warming effects of either the El Niņo event or anthropogenic greenhouse gases in the period 1991-93."

And that's a wet firecracker compared to a Yellowstone caldera eruption. Pinatubo sent up ~8.4-10.4 km^3 of ejecta while Yellowstone's last eruption sent up approximately 1000 km^3.

Wouldn't that pretty much solve global warming issues for a good long while, though?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amergin posted:

Do you have any evidence that those HDs were purposely destroyed besides what Jarome Corsi told you? BTW i love that we're supposed to believe that targeting groups with political names to root out political activity is somehow evil and not, you know, doing their job.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mdemone posted:

I just want to say you're really good at what you do. It raises my blood pressure even though I know full well you don't mean any of it.

It's getting too obvious more people are just ignoring it finally.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Naw he's been pretty blatant for a long time (and the blatantness of it is half the fun), it's just that we've had numerous 'peering behind the curtain' moments in the past few weeks to the point where basically all of the thread regulars know about it now

E: oh man this is gonna be good :munch:

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 16, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

For some bizarre reason people seem to think that hard drives are far better than they actually are. For example, it would not be too unexpected for a byte by byte copy operation of very old hard drive to kill it. It happens all the time when rebuilding RAID arrays.

And remember, due to budget cuts the IRS has a very short retention policy because they had no disk space on their servers and no funds for having more than 6 months worth of tapes; that is the real problem here.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Do you have any evidence that those HDs were purposely destroyed besides what Jarome Corsi told you? BTW i love that we're supposed to believe that targeting groups with political names to root out political activity is somehow evil and not, you know, doing their job.

Because if the situation was flipped, I doubt liberals would simply say "Well our political opinions kind of grab this unwanted attention so really it is our fault" because, what, we're blaming the victim now?

I mean if you didn't want to get raped you shouldn't have worn that short skirt.

This isn't to mention the whining I saw in this very topic a couple months ago about how the police are biased against and crack down harder on liberal protests. Well if liberals didn't have views that made police uneasy maybe they wouldn't have to deal with it.

And while there isn't evidence of those hard drives being destroyed on purpose, the odds of all of them failing are fairly astronomical.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

Because if the situation was flipped, I doubt liberals would simply say "Well our political opinions kind of grab this unwanted attention so really it is our fault" because, what, we're blaming the victim now?

I mean if you didn't want to get raped you shouldn't have worn that short skirt.

This isn't to mention the whining I saw in this very topic a couple months ago about how the police are biased against and crack down harder on liberal protests. Well if liberals didn't have views that made police uneasy maybe they wouldn't have to deal with it.

And while there isn't evidence of those hard drives being destroyed on purpose, the odds of all of them failing are fairly astronomical.

That link is completely wrong, each hard drive is not an independent sample. If you provision a data center with a ton of hard drives from the same manufacturer at the same time odds are actually good that they will all start failing at the same time.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Honest to god I'd be able to go for weeks without seeing an Amergin post if you fuckers stopped quoting him. :argh:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Amergin posted:

THE IRS TARGETED OCCUPY-LINKED GROUPS AS WELL AS TEA PARTY ORGS. SHUT UP, AMERGIN.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Amergin posted:

I am going to respond to this post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Call your dad if you wanna have a yelling match with a conservative strawman, please.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is the long-term effect of volcanic ash on soil for farming? What sort of long-term damage is there that we would need to worry about?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I, for one, believe that someone who runs a data center thinks that lottery tickets are an adequate hedge against risk of simultaneous drive failures.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case you were wondering (I was) the three Republicans who crossed the aisle on the Protect Women's Health From Corporate Interference Act vote were Murkowski, Collins, and Kirk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randalor posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is the long-term effect of volcanic ash on soil for farming? What sort of long-term damage is there that we would need to worry about?

It's fertile as gently caress.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

anonumos posted:

THE IRS TARGETED OCCUPY-LINKED GROUPS AS WELL AS TEA PARTY ORGS. SHUT UP, AMERGIN.

NOT TO THE SAME EXTENT AND DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Randalor posted:

Long term it's amazingly good for crops. The reason Idaho is good potato country is because it's gotten many layers of ash over the millions of years.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
All of California's big water sources in the Sierra Nevada, and the major rivers in the Central Valley look like they'd get cluttered with ash; what would the water situation here be?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

It's fertile as gently caress.

So the Yellowstone supervolcano blowing would be a short-term disaster, long-term boon? Well, silver lining and all that. But seriously, there are early warning systems and plans in place to minimize the damage just in case, right? ...Right?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

Your trolling used to be more subtle--what happened, dude?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randalor posted:

So the Yellowstone supervolcano blowing would be a short-term disaster, long-term boon? Well, silver lining and all that. But seriously, there are early warning systems and plans in place to minimize the damage just in case, right? ...Right?

It would probably kill a couple of billion people over a few decades but yeah eventually we could grow some nice flowers.

But seriously guys stop worrying about it it will never happen in our lifetimes if at all.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Your trolling used to be more subtle--what happened, dude?

I'm tired and y'all motherfuckers are talking about Yellowstone supervolcanoes and ash. How the hell do I find an opening in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Randalor posted:

Geologists say a smaller volcano than the Yellowstone can end the seasons, don't worry about Yellowstone, your grandkids will.

• Locked thread