Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

scamtank posted:

Cranking the winch for long vertical distances takes some time, though. It's fine for casual bathing and hospital use, but keep a close eye on your booze reserves.

Surely the solution is to just build 15 different wells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

A market! Cheeses and meats and all sorts of good things! Let me just stock up on some before my journ

:stare:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

scamtank posted:

A market! Cheeses and meats and all sorts of good things! Let me just stock up on some before my journ

:stare:

I'm just imagining the adventurer slowly backing out of the room and closing the door.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

scamtank posted:

Cranking the winch for long vertical distances takes some time, though. It's fine for casual bathing and hospital use, but keep a close eye on your booze reserves.

You could always build a small resevoir near the well and have some dwarf bucket brigade it full of water.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

scamtank posted:

Most of "The Group of Hops" history concerns booze getting stolen from their cities by drunk ettins and building a lot of bridges between cities. A respectable bunch. Where did all those loving zombies come from?

Hm. Tooling around in legends mode I happened across a couple entries like "Elfy McElfname's corpse," which on further inspection were entries for "unnamed zombies" that just said things like "In the year 104 Elfy McElfname began operating as a mercenary out of Blazecudgels."

I figured it was probably just that thing where people get converted into vampires or male woman of moon hag brides or whatever and all their history retroactively changes to reflect their new state, but no--a) Elfy McElfname had her own separate entry, b) she died around year 4 and didn't get zombiefied until like year 30, and c) Blazecudgels was a necromancer tower.

So basically what I'm saying is maybe necromancers now hire out their projects as undead thugs? Which would be pretty :black101: if so.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Wonderslug posted:

So basically what I'm saying is maybe necromancers now hire out their projects as undead thugs? Which would be pretty :black101: if so.

That above screenshot is a good representation of what happens. The entire town was either cowering indoors or running after goblin zombies with knives.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Met posted:

That island in the very middle west there. Those purple circles are cavern entrances, I believe. That is hell island.

Is that an antarctic volcano in the SW?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Maarak posted:

If you haven't settled the site of an active volcano, on a Terrifying glacier, under constant dwarf blood blizzards, savaged by undead yetis; you haven't lived.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Post your prettiest trees. Pretty tree pics only ITT.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven't seen many opinions on trees in .40, but I think they look absolutely great.

Maarak posted:

Oh man, it is. The problem with that world was that I was just testing some population numbers after my custom world always had one or two sentient species getting wiped out within the first hundred years. That world had all the boring/not-fun stuff like bogeymen, low megabeast numbers, etc so I didn't bother keeping it.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I just saw a Magma Crab flee in terror from a Kea.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How many fortress breaking crashes remain?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I haven't run into that many crashes and save corruption seems to be gone, too. Just annoying things like 30 minute loading times for Medium worlds, scaredy citizens and passive siegers, troupes of animal men in the wilderness that introduce themselves as TRANS_NAME] and brag about attacking you instead of actually defending themselves, everyone using their fists over anything else, that sort.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yes

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

counterfeitsaint posted:

Seems like he's starting to cut back on the majority. Still waiting on that hostile A.I. fix and I'll be back to binging hard.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Hey scamtank, you should do a detailed writup of your string patcher stuff and put it in the OP. I'm interested in readable item descriptions but a convenient guide I could follow would be awesome.

Also, now that wood is much more plentiful and boulders are still heavy as poo poo, I've discovered a newfound fondness for wood crafts. While not very valuable, they're made of very light materials, can be produced very quickly and you can fit tons of them in a bin. You can't make mugs but general crafts still do the job. Plus you're almost guaranteed to get a legendary woodcrafter after a few strange moods. I tend to make most of my furniture out of wood now as well. Noble rooms still get stone furniture but the lowly peasants will have to make do with their masterwork pine cabinets.

There was also talk of danger rooms being actually dangerous now. None of my dwarves ever got injured even though they weren't wearing chain shirts (they're supposed to protect the throat, but now that necks are a thing it might be slightly different?). Maybe they were all wearing cloaks, which do protect the throat, so it might be wise to invest in some leather cloaks for your military. AFAIK they also give marginal protection to the face bits like eyes and ears.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

There should be a version of :iiam: and :iia: that is "It is terrifying"

It could even see use outside of this thread possibly!

How about ?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hempuli posted:

How about ?

Should probably make the beard a different color so you can actually see the :gonk: mouth, but otherwise that is pretty funny.

e: name it :terrifying:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Should probably make the beard a different color so you can actually see the :gonk: mouth, but otherwise that is pretty funny.

Here we go:

Apologies if this doesn't really count as contributing, the smiley request was too inspiring to pass.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Need to follow :iiam: and :iia: (iiam and iia) and make it :iit: (iit)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

requoting this because i think it's far superior (no hate intended Hempuli)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that one too because it fits the deadpan tone I always read it in.

Also it looks more like the ghost from iiam.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the first one is beautiful in its simplicity.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mr. Glass posted:

requoting this because i think it's far superior (no hate intended Hempuli)

Yeah, I actually prefer that one. It's unique and gives a nonchalant sense to it like the units ingame actually do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Guys. That's not how a ghost looks, at all.

This is a ghost.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The N stands for "Nobody outside this thread would get the joke"

The pixeldorf at least allows using it for deadpan "sooooo scaaary :rolleyes:"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Is the pixeldorf meant to have the resolution all hosed from careless resizing?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fair enough :) I guess the first-suggested one is also more applicable in non-DF situations due to having less clutter. One thing I think might improve it a bit would be making the line widths equal to make it look less resized:

suggestion:

original:

EDIT: I feel like these days Dwarf Fortress is mainly a thing that inspires me to draw instead of actually playing the game! This new version in particular has already spawned so many amazing stories.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

I like this a lot. The beard even gives it a little bit of the original ghost shape.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Confirming this is the superlative :iit:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Has anyone a good working optimization plan for dwarf therapist? If yes, would you share?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shows up in the list, but not in preview? :iit:

edit: there we go

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 16, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Michaellaneous posted:

Has anyone a good working optimization plan for dwarf therapist? If yes, would you share?

Try Lagrange multipliers first. If the problem is too complex, try a particle swarm or two. Combine it with a genetic algorithm if that fails. If the problem is beyond that, you'll have to resort to model predictive control.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

my dad posted:

Try Lagrange multipliers first. If the problem is too complex, try a particle swarm or two. Combine it with a genetic algorithm if that fails. If the problem is beyond that, you'll have to resort to model predictive control.

I feel like DPS at the moment.
Someone has hosed me and I cannot figure out how.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Have you really...?

You have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:iit: :iia:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

:iit:

Yes.

Yessss.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Amazing.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
It was inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Did this really just happen