Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rotten Cookies posted:

Tell me you have plans for a giant zord/megazord tech?

Ok I do (I donnnnn't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Broand posted:

One of the cool things Terraria did with ores was that you had no idea what you could do with them until you got back to your base and checked the recipes of things you could make. Early game was more along the lines of "Oh hey some copper, that'll come in handy" rather than "Okay I need X amount of copper in order to progress". Eventually you find stranger materials, like meteorite, demonite and other stuff and each time you find them you're mining with the thought that "I bet I can make some really cool poo poo with this" because it was an uncommon material with a cool premise.

Starbound is more straightforward. You mine materials to make gear better and build more weapons, but there's very little variation outside of standard upgrades. Starbound has loads of cool potential materials, like Direstone, Tar, Bones, Sand, Mud, Slime, Dungeon building blocks etc but you can't make anything cool out of them. You can make some furniture out of them but there's so little else you can do with them. Where Starbound can really outshine Terraria is the fact that you know that there's not going to be all the content on one planet, which drives you to explore. But if all you get is a slightly different flavour of the same thing then there's not much point in exploring at all.

This highlights any criticism I have for the game. Great game with greater potential.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

these take longer than I'd like to do but I'm forcing myself to do 10 of them (so with the damaged version there's 20)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Those own

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Please tell me your going to make a Venus flytrap de Milo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GodFish posted:

Please tell me your going to make a Venus flytrap de Milo.

If he wasn't before, he has to now-wait that would be Florans.

Oh who cares, make it anyway.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I walked away from this game for a few months, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it; can anyone give me a basic rundown of things I missed since late May-ish, and tell me if any Goonservers are still up? :ohdear:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Freakbox posted:

I walked away from this game for a few months, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it; can anyone give me a basic rundown of things I missed since late May-ish, and tell me if any Goonservers are still up? :ohdear:

I think Party alarm has one. Also there are nightly experimental builds that seem to be building to the next update no date on that though. Combat is getting overhauled and the quest and npc systems are looking to be good.

Oh and caves got better or something?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
If Starbound and Edge of Space were put side by side which one would be better?

I forget which game it was, but I heard about some kind of space game that pretty much destroys Star Citizen's hype and is basically everything we wanted in a space game, barring albion prelude. It may have been this or Edge of Space. I cannot remember. It could have been 3D, I have a bad memory.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NeoSeeker posted:

If Starbound and Edge of Space were put side by side which one would be better?
Starbound because you can actually play Starbound. Edge of Space is like a loving pre-alpha proof of concept build where you can make the man jump and have the camera follow him and not fall through the floor. It was released over a year ago.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I might be modding again?
These don't deserve to get lost on the last page. I want these even more than a Commander Keen or Spaceman Spiff outfit.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

NeoSeeker posted:

I forget which game it was, but I heard about some kind of space game that pretty much destroys Star Citizen's hype and is basically everything we wanted in a space game, barring albion prelude. It may have been this or Edge of Space. I cannot remember. It could have been 3D, I have a bad memory.

Might be thinking of No Man's Sky or the new Elite, but probably No Man's Sky. Kinda weird there's no thread for that actually...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceClown posted:

Might be thinking of No Man's Sky or the new Elite, but probably No Man's Sky. Kinda weird there's no thread for that actually...

I wasn't aware No Man's Sky had actually got anywhere since they released that first video.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No Man's Sky is not everything we wanted in a space game but the early hype was along those lines.

(It's basically just going to be an exploration game without much else)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No Man's Sky is not everything we wanted in a space game but the early hype was along those lines.

(It's basically just going to be an exploration game without much else)
Sometimes interstellar exploration is all I want in a space game. :allears:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I would have assumed it was Enemy Starfighter. Edge of Space isn't even in the same genre as Star Citizen. Not even close.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
For the game that was going to outdo Star Citizen, you might have originally been thinking of Infinity: Quest for Earth. I think it's dead though. No Man's Sky should put all of them to shame if it really delivers on its promises though.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

MadBimber posted:

No Man's Sky should put all of them to shame if it really delivers on its promises though.

What even are its promises? Ive heard very little from the actual makers of it and alot of blown out of proportion hearsay.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

What even are its promises? Ive heard very little from the actual makers of it and alot of blown out of proportion hearsay.

A big procedurally generated universe coupled with some (possibly ill-advised) MMO concept where everyone plays in the same universe (but the universe is so large you'll rarely run into anyone). I can't say I've been terribly impressed by anything I've seen from it so far so if there's something I'm missing I'd love to know.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
All I want is to be able to wander around weird random planets and see weird random monsters and write my name on things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Chalks posted:

A big procedurally generated universe coupled with some (possibly ill-advised) MMO concept where everyone plays in the same universe (but the universe is so large you'll rarely run into anyone).

It's not multiplayer at all. A central server tracks who goes/where and discovers what and populates that info to all games, but even if you and another guy land on the sane planet and stand in the sane spot you will never see them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Feenix posted:

It's not multiplayer at all. A central server tracks who goes/where and discovers what and populates that info to all games, but even if you and another guy land on the sane planet and stand in the sane spot you will never see them.

I have heard the exact opposite from one of the devs in a Gameinformer interview video.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
If it's still fairly early in development, they may not have that nailed down yet.

It doesn't help that a lot of space games are overly ambitious and turn into vaporware.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Freespace 3 :sadfan:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That's nice, nerds.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/skellies.994/update&update=10003

Cobra Commander is in. Let me know if there are any problems with him.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Holy poo poo, the front page review on Steam. Holy poo poo, that review: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/

Never has so much saliva frothed from the mouth of nerds.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's amusing that all the "most helpful" reviews are all from people complaining about how the game is beta and Chucklefish are monsters after your money.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I like the last one on the page there with over 570 hours played not recommending the game.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

LotsBread posted:

Holy poo poo, the front page review on Steam. Holy poo poo, that review: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/

Never has so much saliva frothed from the mouth of nerds.

You're not kidding, yikes. For a second I thought you accidentally linked the Steam page for Gone Home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

I like the last one on the page there with over 570 hours played not recommending the game.

I don't think I even have a game in my library that I've played 570 hours of. Jesus Christ.

Wait, no, apparently I have Skyrim, SOTS2 (wat), Civ 5, and Kerbal Space Program which are similar.

So he hates Starbound apparently as much as I hate probably my three favorite games on steam.

What a terrible game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 16, 2014

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Ulvirich posted:

Wouldn't people with the most playtime be the ones with the best opinion on the state of the game?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iuvian posted:

Wouldn't people with the most playtime be the ones with the best opinion on the state of the game?

Yeah, I'm sure they had a truly terrible time during the straight 24 days or so that they had it running.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

iuvian posted:

That logic fails once you realize that these basement-dwelling morons don't do anything else but hate-play this game, apparently.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iuvian posted:

Hahaha no.

Its like if you asked a Battlefield skygod with hundreds of hours flying a jet his opinion of the game. He'd bitch about how he 'only' has a 12:1 KDR and jets need a buff. Playtime has nothing to do with having a good opinion on the state of the game at all.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Most likely that guy was/is running a server and that is why his played time is so high. Steam thinks you are in the game if you don't do things to run the server from outside your steam folder.

Edit: I have 191 hours played but most of that is from a server running when I started.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Hahaha no.

Its like if you asked a Battlefield skygod with hundreds of hours flying a jet his opinion of the game. He'd bitch about how he 'only' has a 12:1 KDR and jets need a buff. Playtime has nothing to do with having a good opinion on the state of the game at all.

Eonwe, don't they make mention of you as a mod in the Chucklefish forums? Or do they hate you so much you are beneath contempt or mentioning?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 26, 2014

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Not too concerned with those reviews honestly, there'll be plenty of reviews from people without a hate-boner for the company. The top review spirals endlessly into an insane conspiracy theory laden rant about getting banned from the steam forums. It's quite good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
People honestly think there is some weird Dev conspiracy to censor people and that Tiy gives the moderators marching orders on who to ban, etc, etc. Like its some tinfoil hat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I think the fact that all the top reviews on Steam are negative shouldn't really be handwaived away. I didn't really dig in much but skimming over a few they seem lucid and contain specific points about what they didn't like about the game.

Obviously there's some real gems of stupid in there but on the whole I think people are being reasonable.

• Locked thread