Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

KillHour posted:

Okay it's a 360, not a 458. So sue me. :colbert:

Well, you can (but shouldn't) tow with almost anything, but the engine characteristics of a Corvette (large amounts of torque available at near-idle RPMs) is definitely better suited to it than the high-revving V8 of the 458.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KillHour posted:

"My parents bought a Ferrari 458 Italia and it was $200,000 all up. It easily hauled their 40' camper 4 times better than than the Corvette ($50,000) they were sold on before they drove the Ferrari.

The Corvette hauled like poo poo in comparison."

There's something to be said for looks, but sometimes you just need to buy a goddamn pickup truck.

Edit: I'm trying to figure out how they even managed to spend $2000 on a Sonos sound bar and sub. Everywhere I'm looking would put that at $1400 ($1450 if they buy a Sonos bridge).

I'm just going to point out some other 3.1 systems in the $2000 range that they could have gotten instead:

Aperion Verus Forte
Klipsch Reference Series
Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series
Polk RTi
Martin Logan Motion

Hell, even the Martin Logan sound bar with a PSW505 subwoofer would be $1700. How the gently caress did they spend 2 grand on a sound bar?

Australia tax.

My parents last updated their hifi in 1984 and their TV around 1998, so theyve probably spent less on home theatre than most people.

Atomic Edge
Apr 10, 2004

"Ho ho ho, Aunt Alicia!"
Hey guys, I'm staring at speaker lists and I need a little help.

I had a complete 5.1 package with a DVD player and the amp built into the sub that I bought like 12 years ago for £100. A couple of years back I decided it was time for an upgrade but had a limited budget, so to get myself going I purchased a new receiver, A Sony STR series 7.2 receiver with 4 HDMI inputs that cost me about £250, and a Tannoy SFX 100w sub that was about £100.

Skip forward to now, I'm still using this amp and sub, but the lovely speakers from my old surround system.

My question really is how to go about buying speakers for a surround system. I obviously want to stick to one vendor, but am I right in saying that my best bet is 4 identical speakers for F R+L and B R+L and then something different for my central channel? Or can my back R+L be a bit less meaty than the front R+L?

I looked at some sets, but they all include a sub, which obviously I don't need.

Any advise would be great. I (again) don't have a huge budget, maybe £250, but really don't know where to start. Should I be spending more on my central?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Atomic Edge posted:

Hey guys, I'm staring at speaker lists and I need a little help.

Priority of speakers:

Front L/R
Center
Rear L/R

If you want to match speakers match all three front speakers. This isn't mandatory (I don't have a matched set) but it makes setting things up easier if you don't have Audyssey or similar. Rear speakers only get about 10% of the action, so they're not nearly as important as center (which is used for speech) or fronts (everything else).

You could consider a set of Tannoy bookshelf speakers and Tannoy CC. Use your old speakers as rears and try it out. If you think rear speakers are unbearably bad get new ones, but more likely you won't notice much of a problem with them.

nnnotime posted:

I was thinking either the problem is with the center-channel speaker, or, since I already replaced that, maybe the Denon receiver is not that great.

Try setting center channel relative volume level 4dB higher than what it is now (manual p. 43). Also check all your source devices (Blu-Ray, console etc) that they send out a 5.1 signal and not stereo.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012

BigFactory posted:

You're looking for a receiver that can process two separate inputs simultaneously? I've never heard of that. Who gets the volume control?

I know the Denon X-4000 can do this, but it's pricey.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jik Waffleson posted:

I bet that remote's a loving mess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jik Waffleson posted:

The X-3000 can, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X30...denon+AVR-X3000

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Hello all, I was looking for a little help.

I currently have a set of old AV123 Rocket Speakers, 2x RS400s as fronts and 1 RSC200 'bigfoot' center. I do not have any surrounds currently and would like two bookshelfs that match (anything glossy black wil match, doesn't have to match the rosewood). Is there any cheap but good sounding speakers that will timbre match or not sound terrible with the speakers I have currently? I like them enough but I don't know enough to know if the rears need to match the fronts (or if it matters). Its all connected to a 200w denon receiver if that matters.

Any advice? I was thinking maybe a pair of the Energy or Polk bookshelfs, maybe even the monoprice speakers if those are decent. I don't want to go too crazy, but I would like it to sound nice.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the input that pretty much seals the deal on my purchase then.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012

I don't think the X-3000 can send digital inputs to zone 2, only network and analog. I recommend downloading the manual and checking before buying.

The X-4000 remote is a little complicated until you get used to it, but using the iPhone app makes controlling the AVR much easier.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I currently have a 2.1 speaker set up plugged into the 3.5mm port on my computer. The speakers I have are these JBL Creature speakers (well a prior model, but you get the drift):

http://uk.jbl.com/jbl_product_detail_uk/jbl-creature759.html

The left speaker crapped out.

What speakers should I get to plug into my computer? I only want a 2.1 set up.

I don't mind buying a receiver etc along with bookshelf speakers, I just need to be pointed in the right direction for what would be considered the best/relatively easy to configure buy.

Total budget: £150.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Try the acoustic energy aego m 2.1 speakers. I had them back when they were under 100 quid, they're probably the best in that price range. Alternatively the m-audio av40, but they're 2.0.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks.

Do the AV40s require a receiver? Can I add a subwoofer to them?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seconding the AV40 recommendation for computer speakers. No receiver required, but they are 2.0 only. If you have a receiver then you could theoretically use them with some other sub I guess.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

So I've been thinking of the Denon AVR-X3000; my only reservation is that I see 3 composite's and 2 component's and 5 audio inputs. After reading the manual it isn't entirely clear if I can assign the audio's to whatever videos I want or is there some sort of hard wired relationship between them.

I've also been considering a Pioneer Elite Sc-63 Which is only about $140 more. I'm comparing used prices for reference.

I bring up connections because I intend to condense all of my consoles and entertainment devices to one physical location. In my head I could have someone watching TV in Zone 1 and I can play 360 on Zone 2 connected to a monitor. So long as I was close enough for the 360 to receive the wireless it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone with personal experience with either receiver or a setup like this?

Im pretty sure my onkyo 818 can take multi inputs and send to multi zones too. Actually pretty much all the full featured big receivers do this. The only limitation is some of them can't (or wont because programmers) do analogue to digital or digital to analog across zones.

With all said though, The Pioneer Elite D-Class receivers are the best receivers you can buy. Period. There is nothing on the market that has the power and efficiency that they do with such low distortion. If you want to go better than a Pioneer Elite, you have to go with a Preamp/Processor and then separate amps.

There are other receivers with more features, or possibly better video processing or Audyssey etc, but if what you want is high power and the ability to drive speakers that ask too much from other receivers, with no distortion, go with the Elite. They were close to $2000 new a couple years back.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm back and looking at upgrading my 3.1 system to 5.1, but I have a problem. The way my living room is set up, I can't really do surround speakers on floor stands. The path through the living room is the space to the side of my seating, and there's a wall against the other side. Going behind the seats wouldn't work either.

My only option would be to mount the speakers to the ceiling above my seating, but I'm not sure how well this would work. My fronts are Polk floorstanding speakers and the center is about face-level when seated, so I worry that having the surrounds on the ceiling (maybe 8' above head level when seated) would sound odd.

Thoughts on this? Can I get normal bookshelf speakers and mount then (11" by 7" on the models I was looking at) or do I need the smaller little cubes? Will it sound alright?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Can you mount them to the sides of the seating position?

IIRC that's actually where the surround speakers are supposed to be placed in a 5.1 setup; to the side and moved slightly back.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

KozmoNaut posted:

Can you mount them to the sides of the seating position?

IIRC that's actually where the surround speakers are supposed to be placed in a 5.1 setup; to the side and moved slightly back.

I've got two couches set up for seating. I don't know how I'd physically mount them to the couch, and even if I did then they'd be less than a foot away from my ear. I couldn't have them extending from the arms of the couch, as they'd be sticking into the room, which is what I want to avoid. Also, the other side of the couches are against a wall so I can't do mounting there.

I assume doing it overhead is okay because I've seen HT setups doing just that, but never with floor fronts and raised rears...

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
If you have never owned a 5.1 setup then you are probably overestimating how much sound actually cones from the rear speakers. I struggled with the same problem as you and I have mine in the ceiling now. They just serve to fill up the space with sound.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Citycop posted:

If you have never owned a 5.1 setup then you are probably overestimating how much sound actually cones from the rear speakers. I struggled with the same problem as you and I have mine in the ceiling now. They just serve to fill up the space with sound.

Having them well positioned can really add to the experience, though. Sometimes in a movie when a doorbell rings through the rear speakers, I'll instinctively turn my head towards the sound.

Steakandchips posted:

I currently have a 2.1 speaker set up plugged into the 3.5mm port on my computer. The speakers I have are these JBL Creature speakers (well a prior model, but you get the drift):

http://uk.jbl.com/jbl_product_detail_uk/jbl-creature759.html

The left speaker crapped out.

What speakers should I get to plug into my computer? I only want a 2.1 set up.

I don't mind buying a receiver etc along with bookshelf speakers, I just need to be pointed in the right direction for what would be considered the best/relatively easy to configure buy.

Total budget: £150.

If you can stretch the budget a little (or find them cheaper somewhere), these have an output that would work with an active sub as long as the sub has a built in crossover (most do):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000VKEFMS/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 1, 2014

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Im pretty sure my onkyo 818 can take multi inputs and send to multi zones too. Actually pretty much all the full featured big receivers do this. The only limitation is some of them can't (or wont because programmers) do analogue to digital or digital to analog across zones.

With all said though, The Pioneer Elite D-Class receivers are the best receivers you can buy. Period. There is nothing on the market that has the power and efficiency that they do with such low distortion. If you want to go better than a Pioneer Elite, you have to go with a Preamp/Processor and then separate amps.

There are other receivers with more features, or possibly better video processing or Audyssey etc, but if what you want is high power and the ability to drive speakers that ask too much from other receivers, with no distortion, go with the Elite. They were close to $2000 new a couple years back.

I took your advice and actually ended up going with this little guy: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1223-K It was cheaper than the sc-63 and I got everything that I wanted. Thanks for the assist.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I took your advice and actually ended up going with this little guy: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1223-K It was cheaper than the sc-63 and I got everything that I wanted. Thanks for the assist.

Nice! It's also 4ohm certified according to that site. I wonder what that specific amp makes for sustained power driving 5 channels. I bet over 100 watts.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hey guys, I'm buying my first AV system and figured this thread would help out. Turns out it did, and I would love some input before I pull the trigger on anything.

Here's what I got so far:
R/L Speakers - Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker
Center Speaker - Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker
Remote - Logitech Remote - Harmony 650 Remote Control

My choices for receivers:
Pioneer VSX-823-K 5.1-Channel 4K Ready AV Receiver
Sony STRDH550 Audio and Video Component Receivers
Denon AVR-E200 5.1 Channel 3D Pass Through Home Theater AV Receiver

I'm open to more suggestions for receivers. I basically did some research this afternoon, and those looked ok. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so I think I'm going to set a max price of 250-300 bucks for the receiver. Do any of you think I need a subwoofer with this setup? I hear tower speakers usually take care of anything but the deepest bass, so I feel like I probably won't need one. Also do I need to order speaker wires separately?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This would probably belong in a "sperg out about advanced home theater systems" thread, but this will have to do.

My trusty TX-NR509 succumbed to the dreaded HBOD (HDMI Board of Death). I'm going to check with Onkyo to see if they will fix it, but it's out of warranty and I don't have high hopes.

Therefore, I'm in the market for a replacement. However, if I'm going to do that, I want to do it the right (read: insane) way and put in a system I can expand to my whole house.

Here's what I want to be able to do:

Run any source to any room, including a single source to multiple rooms. Both audio and video. Sources include: PS3, PS4, Wii U, Roku, Cable box, WiDi/Miracast, Plex, Spotify (through a Raspberry Pi, maybe?) and HDHomerun Prime. I will want room to expand that, as well.

Rooms I want to eventually cover:

Living room (5.1 surround, 1080p), Theater room (7.2 surround, 4K), Bar (Stereo, 1080p, possibly 2 streams at once - sports game and music, for example), Office (2.1 audio, headphones, 1440p/1080p), possibly 2 streams at once), Bedroom 1 (stereo, 1080p/720p, headphones), Bedroom 2 (stereo, 1080p/720p, headphones), Master bathroom (stereo), Outside (stereo, would be cool to have available HDMI for projector and inflatable screen for movie nights outside).

While all of that is obviously a massive project that I'm not going to tackle right now, I do want to get the groundwork laid.

What I need now is to get the living room audio working again. I was looking at a Denon receiver, but even an AVR X-4000 won't even handle surround for 2 rooms, much less the whole house. I'm going to need to go custom build for this stuff. Since Crestron is out of the question due to price, here's what I need help finding to get me started:

A/V matrix
Needs - 4x4 HDMI minimum, IR control that can be programmed into universal remote, HDCP compatibility.
Nice to have - 8x8 HDMI or more, analog inputs, 2.5mm IR control port (input and passthrough), RS232/RS485 control, 19" rackmount, ability to strip HDCP off signals.

HDMI Preamp
Needs - 5.1 decoding minimum, IR control that can be programmed into universal remote, Ability to set IR ID so multiple units can be used without remotes interfering, HDMI ARC support.
Nice to have - 7.2 or more, Android app, 2.5mm IR control port (input and passthrough), RS232/RS485 control, 19" rackmount, built-in networking features (streaming media - Spotify, Netflix, Hulu, etc.), options for both balanced and unbalanced outputs (balanced preferred if only one or the other is available), 4K decoding support.

DSP
Needs - 6 channel minimum, per-channel crossover, parametric EQ, matching inputs to preamp (balanced or unbalanced), USB programming interface.
Nice to have - 19 inch Rackmount, Audyssey XT or higher, white/pink noise generator, IR control, RS232/RS485 control, blinkenlights :pcgaming:.

Amplifier
Needs - at least 5 channels of amplification (I could split this across multiple amps if it makes more sense), 50w/channel, 4 ohm stable, inputs to match outputs of DSP (balanced or unbalanced).
Nice to have - 19 inch Rackmount, 2 ohm stable, reasonably quiet, outputs compatible with banana plugs, the badass VA meters McIntosh puts on everything, .

This is probably a tall order, but I'd like to keep all that around the same price as the Denon AVR-X4000. Less is better, obviously. If I need to, I can save the DSP for later.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 6, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So I'm at the point where I'm ready to start looking at adding an audio system to my TV setup. I live in an apartment and probably will for a while yet, so I don't necessarily need something that will be very heavyweight (I'm just filling maybe 250, 300 sq. ft. tops), though it would be nice to get something where it won't feel like it underperforms if it happens to survive long enough to land in a slightly bigger space down the road.

I imagine this unit will probably end up doing 50/50 music/movies, and having 6 HDMI inputs is not a must (I could probably live with 5 as I've only got plans for 4 or so at the moment), but would be nice. Finally, Airplay support would be preferred if such an option is available.

Money is a relatively low priority as I figure the relatively small space will end up constraining more than cost, though I'd still like to keep the receiver at or below $800.

So far I've been looking at the technically featured X3000 and SC-71 for a high-end benchmark, but I have the suspicion that that price tier may be overkill for my purposes. Are there any other models worth taking a look at that might be more appropriate for this setup?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So I'm at the point where I'm ready to start looking at adding an audio system to my TV setup. I live in an apartment and probably will for a while yet, so I don't necessarily need something that will be very heavyweight (I'm just filling maybe 250, 300 sq. ft. tops), though it would be nice to get something where it won't feel like it underperforms if it happens to survive long enough to land in a slightly bigger space down the road.

I imagine this unit will probably end up doing 50/50 music/movies, and having 6 HDMI inputs is not a must (I could probably live with 5 as I've only got plans for 4 or so at the moment), but would be nice. Finally, Airplay support would be preferred if such an option is available.

Money is a relatively low priority as I figure the relatively small space will end up constraining more than cost, though I'd still like to keep the receiver at or below $800.

So far I've been looking at the technically featured X3000 and SC-71 for a high-end benchmark, but I have the suspicion that that price tier may be overkill for my purposes. Are there any other models worth taking a look at that might be more appropriate for this setup?
The refurbished Onkyo TX-NR515 I got a 18 months ago does everything you want except Airplay (but I have an AppleTV, so that's not a big deal to me) and cost me under $250 shipped and I have a similar amount of space. I think spending $800 on just the receiver is certainly overkill for what you need now, and you could always get something cheaper that will fit your current needs and something better in the future. My 3.1 system cost me under $1000 total including the receiver (I got the Pioneer Alex Jones speakers).

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Does this look like a good deal? http://www.ncix.com/detail/onkyo-ht-rc550-5-2-channel-a-v-08-95840-1009.htm

I have a PC and Blu-Ray player connected to my TV via HDMI and a Wii as well. Right now I have my old two channel stereo connected to a set of tower speakers. I have a matching center channel speaker that I can't use right now because of the stereo being stereo. Some day maybe I'll get a powered sub but the towers do pretty good.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

When I lived in an apartment they would have complained about kids running across the room and loud conversation if I had people over. If I would have fired up a sounds system they probably would have called for the SWAT team. I don't know how your going to get away with it.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

That looks just like the brick I have in my closet. Google "Onkyo receiver no sound" before you decide on rolling the dice on it.

(Sorry for the double post, the delete button seems to have been removed)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I couldn't find anything about that model. The most I got was the user manual. I tried searching "Pioneer receiver no sound" and "Denon receiver no sound" as well and got the same kinds of results. I don't think generalizations like that work.

I went ahead and ordered it. Most places have that or similar for $400 or so. We'll see how it turns out.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Citycop posted:

When I lived in an apartment they would have complained about kids running across the room and loud conversation if I had people over. If I would have fired up a sounds system they probably would have called for the SWAT team. I don't know how your going to get away with it.

I haven't had any obvious issues with thin walls from my neighbors' TVs so far and it's not like I need to run it very loud to hear it. It's mostly to improve sound quality over my cheap TV speakers that have a tendency to buzz with certain voices. :shrug:

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I'm looking for the same thing as Steakandchips, would it be worth getting BX5 D2's over the av40's for better bass (4" vs 5" woofer) for an extra £30? Some reviews suggested they might be unsuitable for consumer speakers as they reveal the problems with compressed recordings, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that would actually be. I wouldn't want them if they make spotify/youtube/streamed films etc sound like trash.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Crack posted:

I'm looking for the same thing as Steakandchips, would it be worth getting BX5 D2's over the av40's for better bass (4" vs 5" woofer) for an extra £30? Some reviews suggested they might be unsuitable for consumer speakers as they reveal the problems with compressed recordings, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that would actually be. I wouldn't want them if they make spotify/youtube/streamed films etc sound like trash.

As someone who has done that exact upgrade path, it is very worth it. They arent *that* revealing either, sure 240p youtube videos are going to sound terrible, but that's the tradeoff from any quality speakers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

240p has terrible sound even on $2 plastic fantastic headphones. Don't ever be afraid to buy better speakers. lovely recordings will still sound lovely on them, but good recordings will sound much better.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KillHour posted:

This would probably belong in a "sperg out about advanced home theater systems" thread, but this will have to do.

My trusty TX-NR509 succumbed to the dreaded HBOD (HDMI Board of Death). I'm going to check with Onkyo to see if they will fix it, but it's out of warranty and I don't have high hopes.

Therefore, I'm in the market for a replacement.
I'm basically in the same boat as you. What the hell happened to that "Best Receiver Under $500 Thread"?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As a follow up to this, Onkyo agreed to ship the unit in for warranty repairs. Jose Torres at Onkyo is an awesome guy.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

TenementFunster posted:

I'm basically in the same boat as you. What the hell happened to that "Best Receiver Under $500 Thread"?

Depending a little on what features you want, Denon X1000 and X2000 are on clearance sales now that the new models are out. I own a X1000 and it does everything I want it to. Then again, I only want 5.1 sound and don't care for any features beyond "enough ports, sounds good".

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X10...rds=denon+x1000

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I ordered a receiver online and it came with a free wireless adapter that I don't really need, I have cable internet and my router etc. are right by the TV. Well they shipped the wireless thing and the receiver separately and the wireless showed up and the receiver won't be here until tomorrow.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Does anyone know if quality is affected/downgraded when playing audio (CD-Quality) wirelessly through an apple TV? Same question for chromecast

E: Thanks

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm pretty sure they don't bother recompressing it since if you're using a phone or tablet as a source it wouldn't want to be doing real-time re-encoding. When I play ALAC on my home system from my computer it sounds fine as well.