Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

Is there some where to buy those scalped tables?

http://gigabiting.com/the-procrastinators-guide-to-restaurant-reservations/

http://www.blogher.com/booking-bots-create-black-market-restaurant-reservations

Those articles are from Feb 2014 and Oct 2013 so I dunno if anyone's cracked down on the scalper services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

PCH is fun, if you have the time, do it.

Check out Manresa in Los Gatos. TFL alumni David Kinch's resto and it's baller. Manresa had a fire a week ago and is closed :negative:

Atelier Crenn for spergy autistic modernist food. I haven't been yet but I hear it's great.

incanto is a pretty standard rec for SF, too.

Chez Panisse is Alice Water's resto and is also very recommended.

Bouchon is always good, there's a location in LA, too if you dont have time to hit it in Nor Cal.

Hit up Burma Superstar with DnF and get margaritas and argue about cointreau.

Incanto closed months ago and reopened as a more casual Cosentino project.

Manresa is pretty outdated and is a far drive from SF. Lost most of my respect for Kinch when he started to/continues to date that batshit psycho Pim. Alice Waters is also a hack who treats her long-time employees like garbage.

Burma Superstar is exceedingly mediocre and very overpriced.

Hit Rich Table, Saison, Bergerac, Tosca, Alchemist/Woodbury, State Bird Provisions, Hapa Ramen, or Cotogna instead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For those of you who don't read the charcuterie thread, you're missing out on what appears to be a rotting human leg that icehwk is turning into a ham or something, but will probably kill anyone who eats it. It may be the most disturbing picture I've seen on GWS, and I remember the meatships of yore.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For those of you who don't read the charcuterie thread, you're missing out on what appears to be a rotting human leg that icehwk is turning into a ham or something, but will probably kill anyone who eats it. It may be the most disturbing picture I've seen on GWS, and I remember the meatships of yore.

hmmm, don't know if I should ruin his fun or not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm telling you, icehwk killed a hobo and is trying to charcuterize it. And failing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

hmmm, don't know if I should ruin his fun or not.
I think you just did?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
He hasn't posted again since so maybe its just a joke?

Or he died from handling it. Probably that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

it's from a charcuterie facebook group

http://i.imgur.com/vAnpstB.png

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

it's from a charcuterie facebook group

http://i.imgur.com/vAnpstB.png

LOL at comments:

"you should probably reconsider your charcuterie hobby if you're seriously considering eating maggot ham"

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

prosciutto marzu

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Holy poo poo they actually ate the ham.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm curious if there's a :science: reason why maggot cheese is okay but maggot meat isn't. Surely the waste products of a maggot aren't as bad as mold, otherwise casu marzu wouldn't be edible, eh?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious if there's a :science: reason why maggot cheese is okay but maggot meat isn't. Surely the waste products of a maggot aren't as bad as mold, otherwise casu marzu wouldn't be edible, eh?
The maggots are actually edible. The problem is that they only eat poo poo that is rotting. So if you're eating meat that has maggots in it, you're eating rotting meat.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Yeah, if maggots can eat it, tiny little friends can also eat it, and the tiny little friends poop truly distressing toxins. And, if they survive, can also set up camp inside you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So cheese also passes the is-it-rotten test for maggots?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

So cheese also passes the is-it-rotten test for maggots?
Depends on the maggot. The maggots in casu marzu are the larvae of a fly called, get this, the cheese fly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What a coincidence!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Well to be fair cheese is already rotten milk. So casu marzu is doubly rotten.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What a coincidence!
It's probably worth noting that maggots are intentionally introduced into casu marzu (e.g. by leaving the bare cheese in a room with a bunch of cheese flies). When you've got some blob of charcuterie that's crawling with maggots that's presumably not what happened, so it's got to have gotten wiffy enough to have attracted a bunch of flies.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Well to be fair cheese is already rotten milk. So casu marzu is doubly rotten.
Yeah. I don't know what marker(s) the cheese flies are interested in, but they are known to lay eggs on a lot of things that e.g. common house flies will not, like salted meat. They'll also lay eggs on rotting meat, but not as aggressively. House flies will lay eggs on something that's been dead and out in the sun for just a couple hours, but cheese flies will wait for several months.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Presuttu marzu :v:

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 15, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

prosciutto marzu

that's my cousin

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

It's probably worth noting that maggots are intentionally introduced into casu marzu (e.g. by leaving the bare cheese in a room with a bunch of cheese flies). When you've got some blob of charcuterie that's crawling with maggots that's presumably not what happened, so it's got to have gotten wiffy enough to have attracted a bunch of flies.

dude maybe they are just larvae of a fly called, get this, the meat fly.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mindphlux posted:

Blowfly, most commonly, actually. Blow here being a centuries-old but now moderately uncommon English usage meaning specifically to be spoiled by maggots. Shakespeare's Cleopatra makes it sound all rather saucy: Rather on Nilus' mud/Lay me stark naked and let the waterflies/Blow me into abhorring. Something something Pr0k's Mom.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s35puUhqQJc

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Target by my house has a repackaged Vitamix for 300 bucks. That's really good right?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Target by my house has a repackaged Vitamix for 300 bucks. That's really good right?

you can get refurb vitamixes direct for $330 so that deal is pretty good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FishBulb posted:

What model? The factory refurb 5200 is US$329 direct from Vitamix any day of the week, for comparison.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You can get a better price on factory direct refurbs right now. mine arrives tomorrow!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1374572/

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

You can get a better price on factory direct refurbs right now. mine arrives tomorrow!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1374572/

:toot: vitamix army

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SubG posted:

What model? The factory refurb 5200 is US$329 direct from Vitamix any day of the week, for comparison.

It's that model.

I think id almost rather have a refurb unit. Thanks for the info.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I think id almost rather have a refurb unit. Thanks for the info.

I asked a vitarep about refurbs and he said that you pretty much don't want a refurb if you can help it. They're still vitas, and they still have a warranty, but like, they are used on those food and home show tours and the costco circuits and see work like 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for months.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

FishBulb posted:

If it's a repackage at target it's a new item someone bought and returned- target doesn't do refurbs. If guest service did their job right they made sure it hadn't been used. Either way, it's still returnable if for some reason it doesn't work out.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Okay thanks for the additional info.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

I asked a vitarep about refurbs and he said that you pretty much don't want a refurb if you can help it. They're still vitas, and they still have a warranty, but like, they are used on those food and home show tours and the costco circuits and see work like 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for months.

Or a refurb of a normal model--I have a hard time believing they could have enough to bother refurbishing them if they were just the ones they use for marketing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Okay so serious question and not because I'm being all back to the land luddite or anything - what do you use a vitamix for? Like, in what ways am I possibly missing out in life by not having this device?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay so serious question and not because I'm being all back to the land luddite or anything - what do you use a vitamix for? Like, in what ways am I possibly missing out in life by not having this device?

You aren't. It's just a good blender.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ability to brag about owning consumer electronics on the internet.

I actually use an immersion blender way the gently caress more than a regular blender. Also, food mill > food processor.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My mother has one, and it loving obliterates whatever you put into it. A lot of stuff made in cheap blenders still have little chunks and bits in them, or take forever to process a large batch, but the smoothies she makes are done quickly and practically emulsions. Is it worth several hundred bucks? For my money, not really, unless you've got money to burn, drink a fuckton of smoothies, or really, really want a consistent product.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It can make nut butters, flours, it can make cooked emulsions like custards and curds, it can pulverize frozen fruit into sorbets in seconds, the sheer friction of the blades can heat food so you can make vegetable soups just by throwing the veg into the container. It's all continuously variable in speed, too, so you can do a lot of other things as well. I use mine a poo poo ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have only used mine for smoothies so far, but I'm looking forward to winter time soups. Also, mine came with a separate hopper for grinding grain, which might be something you'd like. I haven't done that yet either because I haven't had the need.

But yeah it totally obliterates whatever you throw at it.