Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Suspicious Cook posted:

So I just got Super Mario 3D World and it's the Cat Mario's pajamas, but the Miiverse functionality is grayed out. I can't make or read posts in game. Is that activated at a certain point or do I have to do something special?

Activated in World 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Quest For Glory II posted:

the health mechanics are tense

This is one of my absolute favorite parts about Earthbound and Mother 3. Such a great mechanic, and Mother 3's style of timed hits works gorgeously with it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Cool, thanks. Can't wait to spam nonsense to people who don't care because I don't do that here enough already.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

enojy posted:

I guess I'll get Earthbound. I tried playing it when I was crazy about JRPGs and still couldn't get into it, but I can't remember why. Maybe I was in the mood for a Sephirothesque villain attempting to destroy the planet, and not wacky humor and dungeon maps in the shape of the female reproductive system. Everyone else who puts it on a pedestal can't be wrong, I guess. Does it have a high quality story? That's probably what matters to me most in RPGs. What's the big fuckin' deal with EARTHBOUND????

The story isn't anything too special. Most of the enjoyment for me (after taking off the nostalgia goggles) comes from the battle system. You can avoid encounters if you want, trash mobs are actually interesting with the crazy backgrounds/awesome music and the rolling HP counter leads to some hectic situations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That said you will HATE how many crit hits the enemies manage to get. Or at least I did. Haven't seen that many crits against me since my TF2 days.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So if anyone has been to a Gamestop lately they're playing a video on repeat that features nothing but reggie and an interview with reggie.

It played maybe 5 times the entire time I was there which was maybe 45 minutes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Figured I'd try suggesting words in Game and Wario, just generic stuff like Earthbound and Mario Party. Got super excited when I saw responses to it too!

Started adding phrases that might get amusing results and nothing. It was then I realized no one had picked my words and it was just showing me some other gallery. Now my feed is filled with me shouting MYSTERY GHOST.

This game continues to find new ways to disappoint me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

So if anyone has been to a Gamestop lately they're playing a video on repeat that features nothing but reggie and an interview with reggie.

It played maybe 5 times the entire time I was there which was maybe 45 minutes.

Jesus christ you were in a gamestop for 45 minutes?

Were you seriously injured and waiting for an ambulance or what? Every gamestop I've ever been in is basically an ugly closet full of jerks and overpriced things and no battletoads.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, caved because I had the money and it was ten pounds cheaper than the eshop version - One Piece Unlimited World Red should be through my door by the end of the week. Also the cheapest of the HD versions in general, despite the PS3 being so many years older. Will try to get a general summary for anyone who might be considering it, and on the edge because of the franchise's track record.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I picked it up and I am having a blast with the battle coliseum through it only looks to be a little short, I expect to get a lot more play out of story mode when I finally get to it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Ultigonio posted:

This is one of my absolute favorite parts about Earthbound and Mother 3. Such a great mechanic, and Mother 3's style of timed hits works gorgeously with it.

I really wished that Mother 3's rolling meter was as fast as Earthbound's. Nothing in that game really matches the intensity of some of Earthbound's endgame random battles. "Ghost of Starman uses Starstorm @" :supaburn: poo poo!! LIFEUP OMEGA HURRRY THE gently caress UP NESS!!!!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Goddamnit, I only got to Gold. No DKCR for me :(

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RadicalR posted:

Goddamnit, I only got to Gold. No DKCR for me :(

And none from the Wii U selection look appealing

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I went with DKCR3D for my Platinum reward as I don't have that game. I'll probably suck at it but it's free and it's full retail so what the hell. The gold prizes seem really weak, though. At the very least a bunch of SNES games would have been nice for those who didn't get platinum.

And NeoGAF flipping out over this is amazing. :laugh:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Those rewards are poo poo

gay skull fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 17, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
How many blocks does the DKC3D download take up on the SD card?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Davinci posted:

How many blocks does the DKC3D download take up on the SD card?
17,665 blocks.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Sonel posted:

17,665 blocks.

drat, I know what I'm not getting now.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Sonel posted:

17,665 blocks.

How much is that in GB? I've got a 32GB card for my 3DS. Needless to say that's a hefy download for a platformer. :pwn:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

How much is that in GB? I've got a 32GB card for my 3DS.

Not sure the answer, but if you go to the system settings, data management, Nintendo 3DS, then Software and it will tell you how many free blocks you have.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Starhawk64 posted:

How much is that in GB? I've got a 32GB card for my 3DS. Needless to say that's a hefy download for a platformer. :pwn:

Like 2-ish gigs. I don't know the exact conversion, but I think that a gig is something like 8000-ish blocks.

E: Also to be fair, it's a port of one of the most technically demanding Wii games. I'm not surprised the file sizes are a little inflated.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 17, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I have like 200,000 blocks leftover, so it really isn't an issue. That's why I went with a 32GB card in the first place.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
It's still compressed a good bit from the Wii version, which is 3.3GB.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I was watching a let's play, so take it with a grain of salt, but he said it was ~2.7GB.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gay skull posted:

This is one of Japan's rewards.

So yea, these rewards are garbage, is it because they know they don't have to court the american market?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

HOLY poo poo I WANT THAT YOSHI

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gay skull posted:

Lets all complain that the FREE poo poo we are getting isn't good enough.

edit: gently caress that Yoshi is great our free poo poo sucks

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So uh is this all 3DS stuff you're talking about? Because doesn't the 3DS have a thread for that?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trent posted:

Lets all complain that the FREE poo poo we are getting isn't good enough.

You have any idea how much money you spent on Nintendo products to get to platinum?

Free my rear end.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe you people should have considered that point during the months you spent posting about it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Alteisen posted:

Free my rear end.

We would, but it appears to be attached to an even bigger rear end

Alteisen posted:

This is one of Japan's rewards.

So yea, these rewards are garbage, is it because they know they don't have to court the american market?

Wow, okay, yeah, our rewards are garbage. Dammit, Nintendo :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alteisen posted:

You have any idea how much money you spent on Nintendo products to get to platinum?

Free my rear end.

You could just as easily get jack and poo poo for all the money you spent, other than, you know... the games you bought. Instead, you get a little bonus at the end of the year.

So yeah, complaining about the free poo poo you get is a bit gauche.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

Free my rear end.

You caught me. I bought a WiiU and a bunch of games just to get the loving cracker jack prize for registering them. I've never even plugged it in.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I literally only buy Nintendo brand video games to reach Platinum status on Club Nintendo and definitely not because I wanted to play the games I purchased like a child.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Figured I'd try suggesting words in Game and Wario, just generic stuff like Earthbound and Mario Party. Got super excited when I saw responses to it too!

Started adding phrases that might get amusing results and nothing. It was then I realized no one had picked my words and it was just showing me some other gallery. Now my feed is filled with me shouting MYSTERY GHOST.

This game continues to find new ways to disappoint me.

Congrats on being painfully alone. Game and Wario is a ton of fun when you have friends over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Silver Falcon posted:

You could just as easily get jack and poo poo for all the money you spent, other than, you know... the games you bought. Instead, you get a little bonus at the end of the year.

Look man if someone says "FREE ICECREAM" and then hands me a cone of vanilla I'm gonna be a little disappointed!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Macaluso posted:

Look man if someone says "FREE ICECREAM" and then hands me a cone of vanilla I'm gonna be a little disappointed!

What if you had a choice of 10 different ice cream flavors but you could only get one scoop?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Silver Falcon posted:

What if you had a choice of 10 different ice cream flavors but you could only get one scoop?

I want two scoops gently caress this free one scoop bullshit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

We would, but it appears to be attached to an even bigger rear end

Ok you got me. :iceburn:

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't really give a gently caress, I don't do this crap and only recently bought a Wii U, my brother's the one that hoards stuff and only managed to get gold this year, regardless I don't expect anything just for buying a particular title or titles. I'm just saying I think the rewards are bad, especially in comparison to what the UK and Japan gets, or hell what we got on previous years.

Trent posted:

You caught me. I bought a WiiU and a bunch of games just to get the loving cracker jack prize for registering them. I've never even plugged it in.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I literally only buy Nintendo brand video games to reach Platinum status on Club Nintendo and definitely not because I wanted to play the games I purchased like a child.

Yes CLEARLY, this is exactly what I meant by my post. Its precious how stupidly reactionary goons get. :rolleyes:

I mean let me ask you this, would rather get a game, that you can get at anytime at a store, or digital, or would you rather some unique thing, that Yoshi, that Majora's disc last year, the Mario Kart trophies they once had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I kinda like digital rewards?

So I picked up Earthbound and when playing on the gamepad it seems to flicker when I talk to people...but not on the TV. What?

• Locked thread