Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

eth0.n posted:

Fighting Man for D&D 5E.

A few caveats:
  • This is not designed with multiclassing in mind, because multiclassing is dumb.
  • I generally stuck with 5E's writing style of excessively verbose "natural" writing. 5E would be better off with 4E-style writing, but I wanted to go for consistency.
  • I stuck with 5E's "pretends to be TOTM but requires a grid to actually be played", again, for consistency.

my only real question would be how do you replenish followers? if i lose 6 guys in a fight, do more just show up after a long rest? the idea of cannon fodder rushing to be my meat shield is rather hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

treeboy posted:

my only real question would be how do you replenish followers? if i lose 6 guys in a fight, do more just show up after a long rest? the idea of cannon fodder rushing to be my meat shield is rather hilarious.

Why not? Just install an elevator down to hell the dungeon

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

treeboy posted:

Bag of holding with a tank of oxygen. Maybe some iron rations.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

treeboy posted:

First, followers generally don't die, by the rules. Any damage wounds them, and they're out of the fight from there on. If one dies, it's due to a specific effect that kills, or DM fiat.

But otherwise, yes, it's in the rules that more "show up" after a long rest. How exactly that happens is left unspecified.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Lothire posted:

There was a tweet some time ago about an alpha player handbook going around and I managed to get a peak at what internet denizens were claiming was it. I'm starting to suspect it may have actually been the secret playtest packet, as some of the pages looked identical to the ones a goon had posted in this or the other thread (specifically the fighter maneuvers).

Nope, there is definitely a 267 page alpha PHB floating around (107 pages or 40% of which is spells).

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Nope, there is definitely a 267 page alpha PHB floating around (107 pages or 40% of which is spells).

yeah i've looked through it and, assuming its not coming back from the last playtest, the Tactical Warrior Feat isn't in it which is a shame.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

crime fighting hog posted:

Bag of holding with a tank of oxygen. Maybe some iron rations.

Funnily enough, I don't think this would break D&D verisimilitude as we know it.

Where "reinforcements just show up because you are the archetype fighting class, and having reinforcements at your beck and call is a martial fighting thing so you've got a system worked out because you are good at martial fighting things" likely does break it.

Which if I understand it right, in the older editions is something that kind of gets skipped over. High level wizards throw a magic elfball or a save or die/suck spell and look smug. High level fighters drop their hand and a shitstorm of ballista bolts, catapult shot, barrels of flaming oil, and so many arrows go flying. Rangers would have all sorts of bears, goats, birds, and magic elf animals at their beck and call.

Seems like if we are going to do a throwback to old school, the fighter motto ought to be: Keep your elfballs son, I got an army.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Jack the Lad posted:

8 out of 12 class are spellcasters. 10/12 if you count eldritch knight and the spell thief. We are gonna need some more spells!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cyclomatic posted:

Funnily enough, I don't think this would break D&D verisimilitude as we know it.

Where "reinforcements just show up because you are the archetype fighting class, and having reinforcements at your beck and call is a martial fighting thing so you've got a system worked out because you are good at martial fighting things" likely does break it.

Which if I understand it right, in the older editions is something that kind of gets skipped over. High level wizards throw a magic elfball or a save or die/suck spell and look smug. High level fighters drop their hand and a shitstorm of ballista bolts, catapult shot, barrels of flaming oil, and so many arrows go flying. Rangers would have all sorts of bears, goats, birds, and magic elf animals at their beck and call.

Seems like if we are going to do a throwback to old school, the fighter motto ought to be: Keep your elfballs son, I got an army.

This is pretty much exactly how it worked. One of my fondest memories from DMing 2E FR was when the party learned the elf wizard's mentor was kidnapped and being held by Hillsfar for various nefarious purposes. The casters were going through their spell lists to figure out a plan to magic him out of there when the three fighters in the group pointed out that they had about 800 elite troops at their command and asked, why don't we just lay siege to the place until they give him back?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jack the Lad posted:

That document is interesting, to say the least.

I thought that Whizzards had eight builds as an attempt to tone down their obscene versatility. Like, the School of Necromancy build is actually a Dread Necromancer under a different name, while School of Enchantment was like the Beguiler, and each of these builds would have their own spell list and poo poo.

Of course not. Wizards aren't real wizards unless they have access to more powers than anyone else because

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Worth mentioning, the PDF meta data lists its creation/modified date as February 15, 2014. So it's probably seen some revision since then. I wouldn't expect anything huge, but there'll be some differences.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 16, 2014

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
Where exactly does one find this Alpha Playtest Packet?

The only thing I could find through google is a dead link.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Where exactly does one find this Alpha Playtest Packet?

The only thing I could find through google is a dead link.

it wasn't publicly released, so it's getting very close to :filez:. I have a couple friends I'm able to ask about it if you have questions.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

treeboy posted:

it wasn't publicly released, so it's getting very close to :filez:. I have a couple friends I'm able to ask about it if you have questions.

That's okay. I was hoping to snag a copy to peruse on my own. I don't want to bother you or your friends with a 3rd hand Q&A. I can just wait two weeks and be surprised with everyone else.

Edit: Someone just posted it on Reddit. Problem solved.

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 16, 2014

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

That's okay. I was hoping to snag a copy to peruse on my own. I don't want to bother you or your friends with a 3rd hand Q&A. I can just wait two weeks and be surprised with everyone else.

Edit: Someone just posted it on Reddit. Problem solved.
Which subreddit?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was removed.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

LFK posted:

Which subreddit?

r/DnD

Edit: They took the thread down. Glad I managed to download the draft. No backgrounds though, but meh. I don't see anything there that dissuades me from purchasing a copy on the 8th.

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 16, 2014

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, I was too slow, now it's just a graveyard of [deleted].

Really I just want a better rundown of the Warlock than "they get Eldritch Blast, and some spells, and there's a patron thing, and some other abilities" summary that most people who've snagged it seem to be wont to give. Do the three pacts differ in meaningful ways, or do they all play the same with a different paint job? Is pact separate from sub-class? What's their spell list/progression like? All that junk.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

LFK posted:

Really I just want a better rundown of the Warlock than "they get Eldritch Blast, and some spells, and there's a patron thing, and some other abilities" summary that most people who've snagged it seem to be wont to give. Do the three pacts differ in meaningful ways, or do they all play the same with a different paint job? Is pact separate from sub-class? What's their spell list/progression like? All that junk.

talking about it, it seems the pact choice largely affects the spells you get, Fey is more druidic with defensive options, fiend more evocation and attack oriented, and cthulhu is more dominate/charm granting limited telepathy and later the ability to create a thrall.

the class in general, as it levels, can choose from certain spells which become at-will spell like abilities, though its traditional spell slots never get very high (like four total, and at most 6th level)

edit: honestly Warlock seems a lot more interesting than the normal wizard

treeboy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm wondering how the monk will look compared to the latest playtest packet, especially the little sub-classes thing. I'm in the middle of a 5e game now, and I'm playing a monk and I NEED TO KNOW ARRRGH

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm wondering how the monk will look compared to the latest playtest packet, especially the little sub-classes thing. I'm in the middle of a 5e game now, and I'm playing a monk and I NEED TO KNOW ARRRGH

ironically the Monk gets away with what everyone wishes the fighter could. The fluff intro flat out states that they "magically harness the energy that flows through their bodies" and makes them supermurderhobos.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
The playtest actually had a thing where high level monks could potentially spend a ki to force an enemy to become vulnerable to blunt damage, then another ki to grab on and automatically hit with every attack. I hope that stays in, that's a silly silly thing.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Well anyone with the Alpha should be wary, for instance it apparently still has the old (better) version of Indomitable for Fighter where it provides an automatic save instead of reroll.

my buddy is livid, its almost funny.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
But it DOESN'T have the tactical warrior feat?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

He's currently comparing all the talents to see differences. Also apparently potent cantrip got nerfed, it *used* to apply to misses and saves, in basic its just saves.

edit: it's hard to compare apparently, some feats are more or less the same, some have changed minorly, others have been renamed. Tactical Warrior is apparently now called Sentinel, and its essentially the same except you no longer have to mark targets, any enemy within 5 feet provokes AoO when they attack anyone other than you (or another person who has the feat)

so they arguably buffed it, even though it still relies on reactions and hitting with AoO.

downside is it no longer adds the -2 modifier to attacks vs. others.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 17, 2014

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

LFK posted:

Spellcasting for the Warlock is weird. They get 4 general spell slots of any level up to 6th. They also get an ability that essentially grants one spell slot each of 7th, 8th and 9th level. I don't understand why they didn't just save the space and give them a progression table.

The pact boons are kind of underwhelming. Chain grants familiar, Blade grants pact weapon, Tome grants cantrips from other classes. Warlock gets a boatload of cantrips.

The pacts themselves grant access to extra spells, and invocations. The invocations are encounter based supernatural abilities that the warlock gets on top of their spells.

The Fey pact grants an AoE enchantment that charms or frightens targets.

Fiendish pact grants temp HP when you drop a foe to 0 HP equal to charisma mod + warlock level. Every time. Holy poo poo.

Star Pact allows you to communicate telepathically at will.

These are just the first level pact abilities. The others get progressively more exciting as you level up. So yeah...I'd say pact has a biiiig effect on your character.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

No tactical warrior eat...but I suspect a lot of that has been folded into maneuvers for the battlemaster fighter.

There is an inspiring leader feat, which allows you to grant temp HP to allies. It has a charisma pre-req.

Fighter has Champion and Battlemaster subclasses, as well as the eldritch knight which gets spells and magical abilities.

Rogue gets Thief and Assassin sublasses, plus arcane trickster.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

No tactical warrior eat...but I suspect a lot of that has been folded into maneuvers for the battlemaster fighter.

There is an inspiring leader feat, which allows you to grant temp HP to allies. It has a charisma pre-req.

Fighter has Champion and Battlemaster subclasses, as well as the eldritch knight which gets spells and magical abilities.

Rogue gets Thief and Assassin sublasses, plus arcane trickster.

i edited my post above, they've renamed a bunch of feats, Tactical Warrior is now called Sentinel, is slightly different, but arguably a little bit better.

edit: my biggest complaint thus far is the lack of options i've seen for increasing reactions, it'd be really nice if there was something that would grant even one or two extra per round.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 17, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

It's called Sentinel now.

efb

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

treeboy posted:

i edited my post above, they've renamed a bunch of feats, Tactical Warrior is now called Sentinel, is slightly different, but arguably a little bit better.

edit: my biggest complaint thus far is the lack of options i've seen for increasing reactions, it'd be really nice if there was something that would grant even one or two extra per round.

Maybe...but that could bork action economy balance. Remember that action cost is one of the ways the game balances abilities.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The playtest actually had a thing where high level monks could potentially spend a ki to force an enemy to become vulnerable to blunt damage, then another ki to grab on and automatically hit with every attack. I hope that stays in, that's a silly silly thing.

I've got one in a PbP goin' as well. Like was said some of the archetype options are really big lists of things that you can choose to do with your Ki, mostly the elemental path. It seems more open than the superiority dice, in that you gain 1 Ki a level starting at 2, and many of the abilities just have you casting a spell but by punching stuff for 1 to 3 ki, or upwards of 6 ki for a big time ability. The other option is more traditional monk things like quivering palm and tranquility that also lets you push or knock prone targets you hit at will with no extra rolling (contests of strength for instance). Quite a bit different from the playtest packet I'm using for the game.

Something else I noticed was how they included the Monk weapons in the unarmed definitions, which this set calls Martial Arts, so what my game had been doing logically is now part of the rules (attacking with my staff uses my unarmed damage). It wasn't so clear before. Flurry is no longer the "attack two times per action" option, but instead you always get a bonus attack when using monk unarmed/weapons. Flurry is now spend a Ki to get 2 bonus attacks. Doesn't change the end result but reworks the technicalities of what is granting those bonus attack.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

treeboy posted:

Tactical Warrior is apparently now called Sentinel, and its essentially the same except you no longer have to mark targets, any enemy within 5 feet provokes AoO when they attack anyone other than you (or another person who has the feat)
downside is it no longer adds the -2 modifier to attacks vs. others.

So, Defender Aura. How very mearls.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

P.d0t posted:

So, Defender Aura. How very mearls.

A worse Defender Aura.

Also, does Ki reset on short rest? Sorry if that was mentioned somewhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We don't know. I really want Agust 8th to come so we can not use outdated stuff for the argument.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

treeboy posted:

This is a big pain for me too. Personally, just going to make it so that Opportunity Attacks are opportunity actions, ala 4e, and everything else can use the reaction action.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

We don't know. I really want Agust 8th to come so we can not use outdated stuff for the argument.

So what's your excuse going to be, then?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cease to Hope posted:

So what's your excuse going to be, then?

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's a thing called errata. It will probably be put in the next update of Basic or he could say it's the DM's call.

---

My starter set should arrive by the weekend. I'm looking forward to discussing it.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Generic Octopus posted:

It's been consistent in playtests that Ki refreshes on short rests, so it's a fair bet for final. The wording here says 1 hour of meditation, which can be done in a short rest.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Sadly that is gone. Pretty much all of the old elemental subclass options are gone. Now instead you get to pick various Elemental Disciplines. You start with 2, one of which is pre-picked. You get 3 more by 17th level. They mostly cast spells, at the initial level the spell is available, by expending ki points. At 5th level you can improve the level the spell is cast at by 1 per additional ki point you spend. Some of them aren't spells, but most of them are. So it is kind of like the Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster, only without actual spellslots.

That said the third option for Monk is the Shadow Monk, which gets a few stealth themed spells that it can cast for 3 ki points, the ability to step into one shadow and teleport to another shadow they can see as a bonus action, can become invisible in dim light or worse, and can eventually use a reaction to attack a creature within 5 feet of them that was just hit. Also all Monks at 14th level become Proficient in all Saves, and can spend 1 ki point to reroll a save.

Generic Octopus posted:

A worse Defender Aura.

Yeah it takes a 1 hour meditation to regain ki, which can be done as part of a short or long rest. They also seem to get a lot more ki points than I remember, starting at 2 and getting 20 eventually. At level 20 they can use an action to regain 1 ki as well, so a 20th level monk will have 20 ki before each fight so long as they get 2 minutes of spending actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Generic Octopus posted:

A worse Defender Aura.

Not quite, iirc defender aura was just -2 attack to any enemies within 5' of you if their attack didn't include you. In this case it's similar: anyone within 5' attacking someone other than you provokes AoO, anyone moving away from you, even disengaging, provokes an AoO, and anyone you hit with an AoO immediately has their speed set to 0.

Really my only beef with the talent is that it doesn't *help* the person getting attacked (just punishes the attacker) and reactions seem like a sorely limited resource.

Personally in my game I would likely have the opponents respond by first attacking their initial target then switching to the fighter next round if he hits them.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 17, 2014