Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a conflict of ideal and real, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He did not, in fact, describe anything even remotely like Paranoia.

Have you read the rulebook for Paranoia? Hmm? Do you know what happens to players who read the Paranoia Rulebook? Hmm? I hope not or else you've been reading the Paranoia Rulebook, player.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd probably use The Quiet Year, personally. http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/the-quiet-year/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lemon Curdistan posted:

avatar/post combo explains it all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ok fine.

"Replace a literal Stalinesque Communist Dictator with a computer and you have Paranoia"

Are we happy now? We good?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
True vanguard simulator is clearly Dogs in the Vineyard. Commissars in the Kolkhoz?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

Maybe on the most surface level you could run Paranoia as the presumably serious game where you balance a true communist society with the reality of the situation but it's really not the first thing that comes to mind.

Sure it does - that's just Straight play.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
(edit)Looks like the thread's moved on.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 17, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arivia posted:

Sure it does - that's just Straight play.

Straight play is a cruel joke that gives you hope that someone, somewhere has actually played paranoia without it devolving immediately into a mess but we both know that's not true.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Olde_fortran posted:

Hi, I'm Sage. I'm here to talk about the discussion I've had with Gau Zak, and others.

I entered into this trying to grant the benefit of a doubt in many ways. The thing that most made me question the accusations against Zak were the long line of internet telephone that did lead to some accusations that appear to be based on Gau's experience which are not accurate. With no clear starting point it all seemed like some huge misunderstanding. It was suggested I contact Gau, which I did, and tried to do very carefully, since this could be a sensitive topic.

Gau and I exchanged some messages and he was helpful and open, which I greatly appreciate. After our first exchange on Monday, I continued posting to the thread I started, and misrepresented Gau due to a reading that was too kind: I went into the discussion while trying to give everyone the benefit of a doubt and kind of implicitly assumed there must be some misunderstanding here.

In the meantime I'd sent a question to Gau clarifying some things. I should have waited for his response which made it clear that he feels Zak acted deliberately, that nothing he said was a mistake.

That's a huge mistake on my part. I've already apologized on that thread and clearly stated what Gau said and apologized directly to Gau.

I don't know if this makes me as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby. I'd also like to clearly state that this is _my_ action, not Adam's. I deserve all the blame here. He only even found out that I'd done this because people blamed him for it.

I'm new here, and unlikely to be able to keep up with another forum for long, but I welcome people to contact me on G+ (https://plus.google.com/+SageLaTorra/posts) or twitter (https://twitter.com/olde_fortran).

Hello Sage!

As I've stated in thread you came into the discussion at something of a bad time.

I can speak only for myself, but first off thank you for stopping by to chat and give the heads up. No, I don't think you're as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby. The fact that you inspected yourself and re-examined your own statements puts you quite a bit ahead of many others.

Secondly, an apology. I got pretty salty myself and jumped to conclusions just the same, and I shouldn't have. Mea culpa.

One of the problems with harassment is that it's so easily kept invisible. There is of course "innocent until proven guilty," and it's decidedly easy to cling to the "proven" part. The only real way to ever get proof is to go to each person making the claim and demand they share the emails or messages or whatever they've received, and even that doesn't work when the harassment is over the phone as some people have gotten.

The (vaguely) good news is that the lovely elements are not, I think, actually growing in number, they're just growing louder. One of the reasons nerves are so frayed is because many of the more toxic elements feel they've been vindicated by 5e, and the general toxicity of ttg discussion has risen sharply as people exalt and begin doubling down on their aggression. There is a good and bad to this. The good is that most people who aren't already a part of this pack see this and never want to get involved. The bad news is that "never wants to get involved" covers the entire hobby. The ugly news is that this is somewhat as intended. Zak S and RPGPundit doesn't want people who agree with him. They just don't want people who disagree with them. Better to reign alone then serve alongside others.

By the same light though every person who IS in the hobby, looks at this, and says "Nope not ok" is actively helping remove that toxicity. Everybody makes missteps (I mean seriously, I've done, said, and thought some terrible things in my own history), but actively trying to make the hobby better is...well, a good thing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Maybe it's all the stories about Paranoia being zany that poison people against playing it straight, because the only Paranoia thing I've actually read are the comics and it seems like it would be incredibly easy to run a serious game in the setting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Sorry, Comrade...

This module came with cut-out commie beards for all the players, as well as one for Tovarish Computer.

PublicOpinion posted:

Maybe it's all the stories about Paranoia being zany that poison people against playing it straight, because the only Paranoia thing I've actually read are the comics and it seems like it would be incredibly easy to run a serious game in the setting.
There's a lot of stuff in Mongoose's Paranoia release about playing it straight, and even a whole book full of Straight adventures.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Is that Paranoia comic Bill Sienkiewicz?

Olde_fortran posted:

Hi, I'm Sage.
Hi Sage. I like your game, because it is better to play inebriated than America's favourite fantasy roleplaying game is.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Is that Paranoia comic Bill Sienkiewicz?

Written by Paul O' Connor, first two issues say they're illustrated by Kipper, the last 4 say they're by Hector.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey Sage! :buddy:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sage, I hereby forgive you for any and all bad things you may or may not have done, even the thing with the turtle. Now go write a big fat hardcover version of Black Stars Rise.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It is treasonous to disagree with Friend Winson. Are you a traitor, Hygiene Officer LEM-0N-TR0L?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gau posted:

It is treasonous to disagree with Friend Winson. Are you a traitor, Hygiene Officer LEM-0N-TR0L?

That's not a proper naming convention. Is that how they do things in GAU sector, comrade?

Please stand on the bulls-eye and answer clearly into the microphone.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's not a proper naming convention. Is that how they do things in GAU sector, comrade?

Please stand on the bools-eye and answer clearly into the microphone.

GOTCHA

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Please stand on the bulls-eye and answer clearly into the microphone.

Naming conventions are above our clearance, citizen! Only a traitor would even know that they exist!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Gau posted:

Naming conventions are above our clearance, citizen! Only a traitor would even know that they exist!

Well, now I don't know who to trust anymore. If only there was a single word to describe that particular feeling...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gau posted:

Names are Infrared clearance, otherwise how would loyal citizens address each other or accuse each other of treason?

I think we may need to wipe your clone template.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYhZq1CaX8o

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hello Sage!

As I've stated in thread you came into the discussion at something of a bad time.

I can speak only for myself, but first off thank you for stopping by to chat and give the heads up. No, I don't think you're as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby. The fact that you inspected yourself and re-examined your own statements puts you quite a bit ahead of many others.

Secondly, an apology. I got pretty salty myself and jumped to conclusions just the same, and I shouldn't have. Mea culpa.

One of the problems with harassment is that it's so easily kept invisible. There is of course "innocent until proven guilty," and it's decidedly easy to cling to the "proven" part. The only real way to ever get proof is to go to each person making the claim and demand they share the emails or messages or whatever they've received, and even that doesn't work when the harassment is over the phone as some people have gotten.

The (vaguely) good news is that the lovely elements are not, I think, actually growing in number, they're just growing louder. One of the reasons nerves are so frayed is because many of the more toxic elements feel they've been vindicated by 5e, and the general toxicity of ttg discussion has risen sharply as people exalt and begin doubling down on their aggression. There is a good and bad to this. The good is that most people who aren't already a part of this pack see this and never want to get involved. The bad news is that "never wants to get involved" covers the entire hobby. The ugly news is that this is somewhat as intended. Zak S and RPGPundit doesn't want people who agree with him. They just don't want people who disagree with them. Better to reign alone then serve alongside others.

By the same light though every person who IS in the hobby, looks at this, and says "Nope not ok" is actively helping remove that toxicity. Everybody makes missteps (I mean seriously, I've done, said, and thought some terrible things in my own history), but actively trying to make the hobby better is...well, a good thing.

Also I wanted to emptyquote this before but I got distracted by Paranoia.

I've said some very stupid and insensitive things myself in the past and more recently, but I try to learn from my mistakes and improve myself.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Literally Garbage

Man, the nineties were weird in retrospect.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gau posted:

You clearly didn't live through the 80's.

It's amazing I have as good an attitude towards women and sex as I do given how many boob comedies I watched as a teenager.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's amazing I have as good an attitude towards women and sex as I do given how many boob comedies I watched as a teenager.

I did, but I was stuck in small-town Montana and didn't have a television in my house until 1987 (I was five). There were two channels.

Ask me why I'm basically a gaming luddite.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gau posted:

I did, but I was stuck in small-town Montana and didn't have a television in my house until 1987 (I was five). There were two channels.

Ask me why I'm basically a gaming luddite.

Geez, talk about different strokes, I'm only 2 years younger than you, but I was probably one of the first of the 'kids who were basically raised online. Since my dad worked with computers, As far back as I remember we always had at least one in the house, we had internet pre-AOL, had a separate line for dial-up. (two lines at one point iirc), even living in small-town Idaho for awhile, we always had a connection.

It's so weird hearing how different it was for people who are practically the same age as me. :psyduck:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was born in the 90s :c00lbutt:

and was homeschooled in relative isolation on a farm by parents who didn't own a tv until 9/11 :negative:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this explains a lot

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gau posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Born late 80's so I more or less grew up in the 90's. Interesting time. I feel the 90's were to some degree filled with "Ok, let's talk about it." I mostly remember there being a fair amount of poo poo being discussed regarding race and bigotry even with my pre-teen cartoons, and if you were bad like I was and watched MTV late at night then they weren't shying away from topics regarding homosexuality or bisexuality. Granted, ALL of it in the lens of "ISN'T THIS HOT???" but at least I recall there being just as many cute dudes kissing each other as there were girls.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Geez, talk about different strokes, I'm only 2 years younger than you, but I was probably one of the first of the 'kids who were basically raised online. Since my dad worked with computers, As far back as I remember we always had at least one in the house, we had internet pre-AOL, had a separate line for dial-up. (two lines at one point iirc), even living in small-town Idaho for awhile, we always had a connection.

It's so weird hearing how different it was for people who are practically the same age as me. :psyduck:

Born in 1991, had access to a computer since 1996 and internet since 1998ish. We had ISDN even, back when that was impressive. 96kb/s of uninterrupted access to the Information Superhighway, paid for by the Irish Department of Education. :smaug:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Foo posted:

this explains a lot

huh i thought you already knew that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProfessorCirno posted:

Born late 80's so I more or less grew up in the 90's. Interesting time. I feel the 90's were to some degree filled with "Ok, let's talk about it." I mostly remember there being a fair amount of poo poo being discussed regarding race and bigotry even with my pre-teen cartoons, and if you were bad like I was and watched MTV late at night then they weren't shying away from topics regarding homosexuality or bisexuality. Granted, ALL of it in the lens of "ISN'T THIS HOT???" but at least I recall there being just as many cute dudes kissing each other as there were girls.

MTV's Undressed

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Born 1991, have probably done more talking on the internet than I have face to face. On the other hand anytime someone can't figure out Microsoft Office and such in my group at work I can usually make it better, so I guess it's a wash.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FYI I am recruiting for 4E X-Crawl

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Captain Foo posted:

MTV's Undressed

THAT was the one.

In retrospect it was pretty hilarious when people tried to talk about it while avoiding actually talking about it in church at the time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was born in the early 70's. I'm old. :smith:

There's people in my 13th Age game that wasn't even alive when D&D came out.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I was born in '89 but spent the majority of school years until I was 12 or so living in Mexico. The original Dragon Ball was a massive cultural touchstone among my friends. Most days were spent wandering around a beach and/or jungle. The village only ran the generator for power in the evenings.
In the summer I lived thirty miles into a fuckoff massive forest and spent my days watching the Discovery Channel, wandering around the forest, or playing with my all of one friend who lived thirty miles further in. We spent most of our time hitting each other with sticks.
So I guess what I'm saying is the 90's were pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProfessorCirno posted:

THAT was the one.

In retrospect it was pretty hilarious when people tried to talk about it while avoiding actually talking about it in church at the time.

I sort of would like to see that again, just to see how it handles things (I mostly remember it was a sexytimes show with GIRLS KISSING SOMETIMES and I was 13 or so)

• Locked thread