Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Renaissance Robot posted:

Remind me, Spender's only about 25 right?

Something like that. Early-mid twenties, at least. I don't remember the specifics or where it was stated.

Unrelated, Max's room has an interesting, if not exactly unified aesthetic. A sleek, modern look to the floor, walls, and hanging lamps, weird occult-ish symbols on the floor, a magnet pattern across the walls, purple plush chairs and pillows, and a mass of rusty chains hanging from the ceiling. Mostly black, too, which, going with how Walker's room was pretty brown-ish, means that one's aura color at least somewhat factors into things most likely. I wonder how much the general design is a function of the subject's subconscious, though, and how much it is Boss Leader's impression of them; I'm not sure Max would want things like the magnet pattern across the wall, and the clashing design elements might be BL going with her "not very thematically coherent" observation from earlier.

Of course, Max also thinks magnet powers are awesome (which they are, as great a line "the ability to not have or respect magnet powers" is), so he might be totally down with all this stuff. And while Walker's room's contents could have been designed by either (wilderness and a campfire is a pretty simple choice to make for a park ranger dude), his talk about his door might imply that he had a hand in designing it. He was definitely rather proud of it.

I dunno, this is really not at all that important most likely (beyond that it means that BL may be well aware of Spender's inner demons, given that she not only can see the wisps of spirits in a person's possession, she directly has a hand in the creation of everyone's room), I just started thinking about the elements of Max's room while looking at the latest strip and felt like writing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if you have to normal dream a reasonable amount of the time so as not to go crazy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if you have to normal dream a reasonable amount of the time so as not to go crazy.

That is actually a good question; given those agents that got sent there by being knocked out, it's unclear whether going there is voluntary on one's part or not. (BL has demonstrated that she can invade your mind if she wants, but that's tangential.) If, after the link is established, you can't not go to the Consortium HQ while sleeping, that would either kind of suck or be really neat, depending on potential side effects and if you had good ways to spend your time while sleeping.

Unrelated, something I forgot to say earlier is that Boss Leader's last line in this is rather pessimistic. She doesn't say that Spender's actions may be for the best, or even that he thinks they are; the best she can supposedly do is hope that he still thinks he's acting for the greater good, as opposed to just, I dunno, being an rear end in a top hat or something. Outright denying that his actions could possibly be good, as well as implying that he might no longer even think that they are. Also the third time someone presumably older and possibly wiser called Spender out on his "greater good" thing. I think Boss Leader might be the most credible of the three, which is kind of saying something.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

MikeJF posted:

It would explain a lot about Spender, Walker and Boss Leader.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Roland Jones posted:

Also the third time someone presumably older and possibly wiser called Spender out on his "greater good" thing. I think Boss Leader might be the most credible of the three, which is kind of saying something.

We still don't know whose greater good we're talking about though, not really knowing anything about the priorities of anyone involved in the PC yet. Hell, we still don't know what they're even supposed to do (apart from Keep The Supernatural SUPER! :sparkles:), let alone much about their actual activities.

The whole "spirits aren't people" thing isn't really doing them any favours in the Looking Like Responsible Moral Arbiters department either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

We still don't know whose greater good we're talking about though, not really knowing anything about the priorities of anyone involved in the PC yet. Hell, we still don't know what they're even supposed to do (apart from Keep The Supernatural SUPER! :sparkles:), let alone much about their actual activities.

The whole "spirits aren't people" thing isn't really doing them any favours in the Looking Like Responsible Moral Arbiters department either.

When I said that Boss Leader seemed the most credible, that was a dig at Forge and Grandpa more than anything else. The former's projecting his own issues onto Spender, and I still think the latter's a hypocrite. Of the three, the crazy mummy-lady is the most credible and trustworthy. (Grandpa is an rear end in a top hat.) And I did call out Boss Leader herself as well here.

That said, since we've had Spender called out on this three distinct times, and for other crappy/objectionable things even more, I'm pretty sure the narrative is trying to say that what Spender is doing is Not Right.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 13, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That's not very useful as long as we don't even know what Spender's actually doing. It could easily be "Everyone thinks what Spender's doing is wrong, but it's actually right (and he's been so drat secretive about it that it LOOKS wrong)"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well we know he has a bunch of kids doing dangerous missions that do far have killed a spirit and would have killed a kid had it not been for a giant bug spirit intervening.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
All signs had pointed towards this being a milk run of a mission. He also had expected Zharei to make the train wait until they'd finished their sweep, when she and the other Consortium agent would have been able to help with any problem spirits.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also spender would be straight up dead if forge had been playing for keeps

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'd be interested in hearing BL's opinion on Isaac being kept in the dark about everything as long as she's mentioning the club.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You do realize it looks like she doesn't know about him at all?

She doesn't even mention him at all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm really liking what Matlock Birthmark suggested, that the powerful spirit Spender beat was the Storm God and everyone else thinks he killed it, but he's actually let it possess Isaac (whom he's also hiding from the Consortium) as part of his "plans". Explains why Isaac knows so little about what's going on. Does he even train with Francisco? Does Francisco know about Isaac?

Wonder if Spender needs the Storm God for something in particular, or if he's just keeping him as an ace in the hole.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
No new page today because Zack's tablet isn't working. Apparently the next page is super plot-heavy, though!

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Dolash posted:

I'm really liking what Matlock Birthmark suggested, that the powerful spirit Spender beat was the Storm God and everyone else thinks he killed it, but he's actually let it possess Isaac (whom he's also hiding from the Consortium) as part of his "plans". Explains why Isaac knows so little about what's going on. Does he even train with Francisco? Does Francisco know about Isaac?

Wonder if Spender needs the Storm God for something in particular, or if he's just keeping him as an ace in the hole.

Francisco does know about Issac, as he said Issac could have the plunger tool. Also, the rabbit spirits Forge talked to mentioned "Storm Gods" separately from the "Strongest Spirit", so they're probably not one and the same.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Toraen posted:

Francisco does know about Issac, as he said Issac could have the plunger tool. Also, the rabbit spirits Forge talked to mentioned "Storm Gods" separately from the "Strongest Spirit", so they're probably not one and the same.

Aw nuts. I guess that might've been a little too much all tied up in one plot point anyway. Still, there's definitely a lot going on under the surface and it'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

It's pretty obvious that the "strongest spirit" he beat is the one that's locked up inside him now. The reason he could barely do poo poo against Forge despite his fearsome reputation is that all his (or more accurately, Lucifer's) power is now being used to contain that spirit.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Rick's made it sound like he didn't actually beat the strongest spirit, he's just picked up a reputation for currently unknown reasons. It's likely that the strongest spirit is the one chained up inside him, but it's also possible he wasn't responsible for taking it out in the first place. I think I'd prefer if he actually was a recognizably powerful spectral who is also a huge dork in spite of that, but half of that is because I want the Spender Life-Ender to be real so bad.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I like to think that the Strongest Spirit just happened to be severely weakened in some round about way, the likes of which would've made Rube Goldberg and The 3 Stooges marvel in awe, and Spender just happened to be there at the time. He was probably a pretty normal guy before being possessed, but as his possession goes on, he becomes more and more like The Strongest Spirit, by which I mean he becomes more and more of an awkward nerd.

Either that, or The Strongest Spirit is actually its name, and it's not actually the strongest. That's just how much of a dork it/spender/they both are.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll be real sad if Spender is just a weak nobody who just happened to luck into crazy powers (which he is still useless with), because he clearly is given some amount of respect and autonomy by the Cousinhood; They apparently think highly enough of his abilities to let him put the lives of young spectrals at risk and to generally keep his town safe on his own. His reaction to Forge's "I was told you slew the strongest spirit" comment seemed more like it was supposed to be a guarded secret than a jab at his pride, but who knows.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grandpa Franky does grudgingly admit that Spender is pretty good at what he does, doesn't he?

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Tollymain posted:

Grandpa Franky does grudgingly admit that Spender is pretty good at what he does, doesn't he?

He says that Spender has a ton of potential but Spender squanders it in favor of being a dork.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Countblanc posted:

I'll be real sad if Spender is just a weak nobody who just happened to luck into crazy powers (which he is still useless with), because he clearly is given some amount of respect and autonomy by the Cousinhood; They apparently think highly enough of his abilities to let him put the lives of young spectrals at risk and to generally keep his town safe on his own. His reaction to Forge's "I was told you slew the strongest spirit" comment seemed more like it was supposed to be a guarded secret than a jab at his pride, but who knows.

Definitely sounded like a jab to his pride considering it was just after he failed to kill Forge and Forge had been warned not to fight him. Also, isn't the Cousinhood some kind of vigilante group? The respect and autonomy is from the Consortium, albeit the exact amount of each is a bit questionable considering the current investigation.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dolash posted:

The respect and autonomy is from the Consortium, albeit the exact amount of each is a bit questionable considering the current investigation.

That's not true; we know exactly how much respect Boss Leader has for Spender.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baron O Beefdip posted:

He says that Spender has a ton of potential but Spender squanders it in favor of being a dork.

Every time this comes up I get the feeling I'm not supposed to identify with or even like Spender (but I totally do)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just remember the kind of man Spender truly is. A poly math nerd.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Every time this comes up I get the feeling I'm not supposed to identify with or even like Spender (but I totally do)

"Squanders potential by being a dork" is practically an entry requirement for SA posters and webcomic fans, Spender's clearly the hero we deserve.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Zach answered some questions on twitter, in art form!

I don't know why, but I really like Cinammon Stix. I want her to show up more, head into town to see all these juicy hweeyermz that Spender's got.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't know why, but I really like Cinammon Stix. I want her to show up more, head into town to see all these juicy hweeyermz that Spender's got.

Oh my god Max's dad is the worst/best dad

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

That last one is absolutely adorable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes. yes it is.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tollymain posted:

yes. yes it is.

You're good people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Haha, Zoey's face

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I hope he never stops. Zack really has come a long way with making great expressions on his characters.

Forge should be a recurring character.

Never thought I would see someone actually explaining an incident which tends to never be told. The fact that Suzy is smiling explaining how boring the answer really is just sells it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
New page, fresh off the presses!

Lot o' info all up in there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, agents are just straight up disappearing when sent to Mayview? :stare:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm also getting the impression that Spender was severely underestimating this agent Day. She both has apparent history in Mayview, and BL values her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cousinhood dogs? :stare:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
"Tangentially" as in supernatural in some separate way to being a spectral? Judging by the sketchy outline we're getting of the Cousinhood (and their Van Helsing look) it would seem they are all about hunting, but considering there are blatantly a zillion ghosts, spectrals, and spirits in Mayview, I have no idea what. Maybe they are hunting special spirits, e.g. gods like the guy in Isaac.

Also "Cousinhood dogs" could be just an insult or literally referring to the dogs on the train. But that makes no sense because they were inside the barrier to begin with, which BL says isn't supposed to be. Also, they are cats.

e: in panel 6 that could be the weird thing imprisoned in Spender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They might be chasing Forge, since he's trying to get into Mayview at this time as well. Then again, I think it was implied that he's going in there to find/do something himself rather than to run. Not that those things are mutually exclusive.