Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rhim / freeipa is open source netscape ldap + standard mit kerberos + a fancy client/server model to distribute keys/principals and configure all your linux clients automatically

if you have anything that's not linux you have to configure the clients manually. oops.

yeah i haven't got that far, nothing there isn't running a linux yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i wonder what the bars around redmond are going to be like tomorrow night, this article says layoffs are tomorrow: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/microsoft-layoffs-expected-thursday/

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

“We will increase the fluidity of information and ideas by taking actions to flatten the organization and develop leaner business processes,”

and by flatten the org we mean no managers will be fired

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mod sassinator posted:

i wonder what the bars around redmond are going to be like tomorrow night, this article says layoffs are tomorrow: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/microsoft-layoffs-expected-thursday/

they're going to gut Nokia so the tears will be mostly in Finland. they will reorg the North America operations but I don't see a bloodbath except in some obscure divisions.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

netscape ldap, the original non-poo poo implementation, was open sourced a few years ago. as far as ldap goes it's significantly faster than ad and better under high loads.

rhim / freeipa is open source netscape ldap + standard mit kerberos + a fancy client/server model to distribute keys/principals and configure all your linux clients automatically

if you have anything that's not linux you have to configure the clients manually. oops.

yeah, the problem with recommending a stack like that is even with proper documentation forget about ever being able to get someone else to admin your special snowflake implementation. it's a perfect model for a million cornercases based on what build of everything you managed to deploy initially. and who handles support? that's like four different "vendors" at least.

i guess if it's your job to maintain it you're set for life, but it's not something you could really recommend to a client. the license savings would be offset by the amount you'd have to pay to get someone who could manage and maintain it

seriously, those TCO studies MS does are bullshit, but this actually is a pretty big factor

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
will desktop machines even matter in 5 years? i would wager 90% of jobs that have a computer right now will be on an ipad or android tablet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mod sassinator posted:

will desktop machines even matter in 5 years? i would wager 90% of jobs that have a computer right now will be on an ipad or android tablet

they'll be replaced by thin clients if anything

so good/okay for microsoft, bad for pc manufacturers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mod sassinator posted:

true story im on vacay this week but i got an email that my work is forcing me now to have a laptop since i work from home, whole team im in (like 4 people) are getting this treatment

blahhh i dont want to carry another labtop

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
havent we heard thin clients will replace everything for the last 20 years? an ipad is a thin client you can take home

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

computer parts posted:

they'll be replaced by thin clients if anything

so good/okay for microsoft, bad for pc manufacturers

how long are they going to try and beat that horse

thin clients are already in widespread use for where they work

i.e. bank teller terminals, call center workers, data entry farms, library computers, etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no this time it's different because :yayclod:

the dream of the NC will never die

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sniep posted:

how long are they going to try and beat that horse

thin clients are already in widespread use for where they work

i.e. bank teller terminals, call center workers, data entry farms, library computers, etc

there's still a fair ways they can go

my university mostly has desktops for their open access labs but they've been slowly migrating to thin clients, and plus they have an online component so you can stream a windows desktop to finish up a visio diagram or a spreadsheet

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

computer parts posted:

there's still a fair ways they can go

my university mostly has desktops for their open access labs but they've been slowly migrating to thin clients, and plus they have an online component so you can stream a windows desktop to finish up a visio diagram or a spreadsheet

guess who in university also had a thin client as a lab workstation

me

it was a full on unix workstation that was simply a 'thin' client despite its for the time massive graphics and memory inside

i was at an automotive engineering school, a fairly respected one at the time

the seat licenses for the apps i did CAD in on a unix workstation acting purely as a thin client were absurd amounts of money for me to sit and use those 'thin clients' which by all desciptions they were

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
we did some numbers and thin clients only start making sense if you have no regular hardware budget

lol if you're in that situation tho

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im just saying, evaluate what you think is a 'thin client'

i know HP and all are totally sold on this one take on it but sometimes thin clients require a lot of horsepower too, and they are still 100% 'cloud' driven with no function beside as a client

the thinner they get, the less intensive the tasks involved

it's a delineation between 'client machines' in purpose, and user desktops. if the users actually have real need for an actual desktop, then they should get one, and forcing a client machine on them doesnt make sense. if it's a rote job that is simply to interact with x, be it internet access or just getting to an old AS/400, , 'thin clients' or full client machines are desirable.

to tldr the poo poo, if the users get insulted by using a client machine then its probably the wrong choice

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Sniep posted:

guess who in university also had a thin client as a lab workstation

me

it was a full on unix workstation that was simply a 'thin' client despite its for the time massive graphics and memory inside

i was at an automotive engineering school, a fairly respected one at the time

the seat licenses for the apps i did CAD in on a unix workstation acting purely as a thin client were absurd amounts of money for me to sit and use those 'thin clients' which by all desciptions they were

same, we had thin clients at a big state university 15 years ago. it was great for us in CS because we just ssh'ed into a shell account (run on big Sun servers, lol) and hacked around anyway. for everyone else it sucked pretty hard

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mod sassinator posted:

same, we had thin clients at a big state university 15 years ago. it was great for us in CS because we just ssh'ed into a shell account (run on big Sun servers, lol) and hacked around anyway. for everyone else it sucked pretty hard

exactly.

if you were in it with the right reasons you knew what was up

on the other hand, if you mandate that thin clients are going to replace PCs in an environment that's not purely entry level type poo poo, you're probably an rear end in a top hat and likely not going to see the returns you seek

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol Microsoft cutting 18k jobs and taking a 1.6 bil hit

gregday
May 23, 2003

Laying off 14% of their employees

I guess 14% really does require a challenger mindset

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

cremnob posted:

lol Microsoft cutting 18k jobs and taking a 1.6 bil hit

mostly nokia

severance adds up

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

mostly nokia

severance adds up

nokia was such a stupid acquisition

only the tax advantages of it make sense

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

nokia was such a stupid acquisition

only the tax advantages of it make sense

lets buy the worst parts of the company to shore up our poo poo phone platform

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

lets buy the worst parts of the company to shore up our poo poo phone platform

what a goddamn waste

shouldve gotten HERE maps, the patents, the hardware designers and dumped the rest

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

what a goddamn waste

shouldve gotten HERE maps, the patents, the hardware designers and dumped the rest

then take them + the xbox guys + the surface people

sat them in a room and told them you make a good fuckign product or youre all fired

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

remember that time microsoft's board let a lame-duck ceo make a multi billion dollar acquisition before having chosen the new ceo + new company strategy?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

remember that time microsoft's board let a lame-duck ceo make a multi billion dollar acquisition before having chosen the new ceo + new company strategy?

im 100% sure they only bothered because of foreign cash reserves

thanks obama

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Malcolm XML posted:

what a goddamn waste

heh at old job we were a reseller for HERE maps, they used to be navteq. the change to HERE made our documentation really super confusing. it's a dumb name IMO.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
in an alternate universe, Nokia said "gently caress it, we're going Android" with the Lumia as the hardware and are currently one of the top Android OEMs.

and all those people still have their jobs.

but lol nope, microsoft

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Sad to see layoffs, those are never fun.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

yeah, the problem with recommending a stack like that is even with proper documentation forget about ever being able to get someone else to admin your special snowflake implementation. it's a perfect model for a million cornercases based on what build of everything you managed to deploy initially. and who handles support? that's like four different "vendors" at least.

i guess if it's your job to maintain it you're set for life, but it's not something you could really recommend to a client. the license savings would be offset by the amount you'd have to pay to get someone who could manage and maintain it

seriously, those TCO studies MS does are bullshit, but this actually is a pretty big factor

the tco studies aren't even approaching bullshit. they're probably understated. you can hire a monkey of the street to administer windows. you need someone who understands how hosed up everything is in Linux and has the desire to deal with that poo poo if you want to use Linux. its just not worth it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

Sad to see layoffs, those are never fun.
they arent but given microsofts stack ranking and the fact that those who are there are either those people lovely enough to game the system and thrive in it and thus deserve whatever comes to them or they are people new to it and undeserving of such treatment and are better off anywhere else i cant help but think its for the best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

im just saying, evaluate what you think is a 'thin client'

i know HP and all are totally sold on this one take on it but sometimes thin clients require a lot of horsepower too, and they are still 100% 'cloud' driven with no function beside as a client

the thinner they get, the less intensive the tasks involved

it's a delineation between 'client machines' in purpose, and user desktops. if the users actually have real need for an actual desktop, then they should get one, and forcing a client machine on them doesnt make sense. if it's a rote job that is simply to interact with x, be it internet access or just getting to an old AS/400, , 'thin clients' or full client machines are desirable.

to tldr the poo poo, if the users get insulted by using a client machine then its probably the wrong choice

thin clients were always junk for everything but the most specific use cases. now that desktops are so insanely cheap theres no reason to ever get a thin client over a desktop even if you use that desktop like a thin client for some users.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LastInLine posted:

they arent but given microsofts stack ranking and the fact that those who are there are either those people lovely enough to game the system and thrive in it and thus deserve whatever comes to them or they are people new to it and undeserving of such treatment and are better off anywhere else i cant help but think its for the best

it can be better for a person in the long run, but in the immediate, it's pretty awful

it's never the right people who get punished

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

thin clients were always junk for everything but the most specific use cases. now that desktops are so insanely cheap theres no reason to ever get a thin client over a desktop even if you use that desktop like a thin client for some users.

this is true, but i'm not sure you're the best person to be saying this. your company deployed iMacs so that people could use them as Windows terminals through RDP when OSX still had the worlds worst RDP client

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

your company deployed iMacs so that people could use them as Windows terminals through RDP when OSX still had the worlds worst RDP client

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that choice was made when imacs were the only all in one unit. our remote users are nurses and they are the least technically savvy people on the planet. even when they go to login theres just a big green button that launches a script that launches all the applications they need because they don't understand what a vpn or a remote desktop or a softphone are.

but now that windows all in ones are a thing we're probably gonna be moving back to windows which is gonna fix so many problems caused by osx.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the rdp client works fine? idk what problems u have w/ it but we have people using it for 8-10 hours at a time w/out issues.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it lacked RDP gateway support until this year and would freak out over certain system certificates when SSL auth was forced. also shared resources seemed to have a 50% chance of doing absolutely nothing across platforms.

i didn't notice any stability issues either though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we don't use a gateway and ssl auth works identically to the way it does on windows. shared resources are a hipaa violation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure there are companies that have been selling AIO RDP terminals running windows embedded for something like a decade now too.

they used to use them at chapters bookstores here in canada

• Locked thread