Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

It's really weird how boilerplate oWoD they are. God Machine Chronicle gives you a pool of points you can spend to request favors - you'd think the "lots of points of articulation for Charms" guys would try to give the basic, workhorse social merits some actual game mechanics.

Yeah. I guess that there's a lot of work to be done and things fall to the wayside but it's kind of disappointing how copy and paste they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

You seem confused about two things:

1. We're not, the two of us, playing Exalted and roleplaying as two Exalted characters in an argument, so you don't have to keep accusing me of weaving self-serving propaganda.

No, I'm saying that what you're writing is basically Solar propaganda that isn't really borne out by the rest of the setting, and hangs essentially on only two points of evidence.

quote:

2. "Heroism is the strongest force in Exalted" is not the same thing as the statement "In Exalted, being heroic makes you strong". Like I just told LGD, here are two bare facts of the Exalted setting:

* Solar magic is evocative of skill, heroism, virtue, and similar
* Solar magic is the strongest kind of magic

Within the setting, that both of these things are true is pretty arbitrary. The Unconquered Sun happened to be the strongest god, but it's not like he absolutely had to be - in another version of Exalted, you could've just "The Sun" and "The Unconquerable Moon" or whatever. Being determined and heroic doesn't literally give you a +5 deflection bonus to AC or whatever the hell. The universe doesn't, in any objective sense, care about about how much pluck you have.

However, that this arbitrary collection of facts is true (rather than some other arbitrary collection of facts) does allow us to read into the themes and implications of the Exalted setting as it stands. The Exalted setting as it stands is one in which completely mundane heroism is a powerful and always-relevant force, capable of toppling any foe given the time and will.

You've already said that these facts are not, in fact, related. Yet, you then go and claim those facts are, in fact, related.

I've already told you that there's a simpler explanation which is better-supported by the facts. Solars, as the starting splat and thus the one which 100% of all Exalted players will be able to make, must be broad in scope and support a lot of stories (much like the core D&D classes have to do so). Because they didn't want an eternal supplement war of "I'm the strongest!" "No, I'm the strongest!" they made the starting splat explicitly the most powerful splat. This is all there is to it. It's not a message that heroism is the strongest kind of magic. No, if that was the message, they'd make Infernals and Abyssals explicitly weaker, instead of Solar-tier, because they might have the raw power of the Solar exaltation but they aren't heroic in the same humanistic way Solars are. If the setting was explicitly intended to endorse human virtue as the pinnacle of power, Infernals should have been weaker than Solars instead of on the same tier. It'd have been trivial to explain in-setting without seeming arbitrary, and would reinforce that conclusion.

Similarly, your rebuttal to LGD implies that 'transhumanism' must be beep boop emotionless robots, whereas it's just saying "attempt to exceed natural human limitations". The First Age Solars, as inhuman (or at least inhumane), larger-than-life figures with superhuman powers, were very much transhumans, or Greek gods, or whatever. They weren't, however, humans. They were inhuman might that happened to manifest itself in a superficially human form.

quote:

In counterfactual Exalted, in which the Lunars were the mightiest kind of Exalted and the Solars and Sidereals both served as their less powerful strategists and majordomos, I wouldn't be talking about the primacy of skill and virtue, I'd be talking about the awesome forces of nature which we humans can only gape at in awe. Exalted-where-Lunars-are-the-strongest would less resemble Romance of the Three Kingdoms than it would Godzilla or something.

Yes, and you'd still be going to a very weird place. Why is it that the particular party who is the strongest says something about a core theme of the game? You're not even saying it's just a possible interpretation-you're saying it's the one true interpretation, and the latter is kind of not supported by either the intended scope of the game or the setting facts. It's literally based on two facts you mention are explicitly unrelated in-setting and out-of-setting can be explained with several alternative rationales, some of which I've already given.

quote:

See, now you're getting it. Exalted's got an individualistic streak. The werewolf beats the robot, but loses to the knight in shining armor - that has thematic implications. It doesn't have to be that way, it just happens to be, and since it is that way we can comment on and analyze it.

Except it doesn't have the individualistic streak in the way you're thinking once you leave the white room. In fact, given how vital infrastructure and artifice and armies are (this isn't just mechanically, but in-setting!) it's a repudiation of that. The werewolf loses to the robot, because there's three of them for every one werewolf and all of them can load up to become combatants and powerful industry behind them. The Solar loses to the Shogunate, because the Shogunate has industry and infrastructure. Exalted is intended to repudiate the idea of the single wandering adventurer as someone who can change the world. That's why the game encourages you to set up an empire, control territory, raise armies, and build artifacts instead of wandering around murder-hoboing and looting stuff. Even for Solars and Lunars, two of the most individualistic splats, they benefit from subjects.

quote:

Actually, the reason they did that was because they were really bad at distinguishing between the themes of Exalted and the actual setting facts of Exalted. For instance, they might read the above and assume that in Exalted being heroic literally, rather than broadly and metaphorically, makes you stronger, and then complain that Lunars don't actually lose attack dice when they enter DBT or something.

No, I don't think they were. I think that you're reading into Exalted a theme that isn't anything more than subconscious notion if at that, because it's so vague and so disconnected to everything else and it creates a statement that doesn't quite work with a lot of other statements. Like how Solars need allies, infrastructure, and all of that stuff to function at peak capacity. A vaguely-determined Solar (say, fighting for their Intimacy) with an army, friends, and a lot of swag is going to beat a Solar with none of those and more RAW DETERMINATION (fighting for their motivation). If your metaphor is so subtle that it only has one

Again, if this was a theme Exalted wanted to emphasize, why the existence of relatively cheap deprotagonizing attacks that Exalts (who, as we all know, are killing machines blessed by the power of gods) might have defenses against, but heroic mortals don't, for example? Again, most of these deprotagonizing Shaping attacks which existed in both 1E and 2E were useless against actual enemies. They only existed to make a statement. If they didn't exist, it'd strengthen your argument that heroism is the most powerful force. But they did. They were useless charms that people wrote and printed specifically to tell you "it doesn't matter if you're heroic or not. Do you have power? No? gently caress off and die."

And why the Primordial War? We don't actually know the kill-death ratio of the Primordial War, except that it was greatly in favor of the Primordials (assuming you only count Primordials and Exalted). Even ignoring the fanon "Exalted zerg rush kekekekeke" stuff the Primordials didn't lose because they were metaphorically trumped by human determination. They lost because they were surprise attacked due to not being able to comprehend the idea that their lessers might rise up against them and then buried under corpses. That doesn't sound like 'heroism and determination trump raw power/inhuman mutation' to me, that sounds like 'you can accomplish great things if you pave a road with corpses'.

NiciasTSOF
May 15, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

This is completely true. Exalted isn't a game of human empowerment, really. It's a game where you play formerly human Exalted, who got lucky. You can't bootstraps your way into power in Exalted. You can be the bravest, strongest, most amazing fucker in the world, and not be Exalted, because gently caress you, impassionate machine decides who gets what.

Edit: This will, also, be changed with the existence of Exigents. It will actually become a story of human power. Your character wont be chosen because they were awesome at the right time, they will be chosen because a god decided you exemplified whatthey wanted, and that you, yourself, were deserving. This is also why Exigents already sound like the best idea to me.

Hold up. Back to this part. What?

I'm going to leave aside the semantic arguments over human/transhuman/inhuman/latinroot!human and just focus in on this idea that Exigents are chosen personally because of their personal excellence whereas Solars are chosen by an impassionate machine. I'm going to focus on it because it's just not right.

The solar exaltation is the UCS reaching down and saying that you exemplified what he wants, and that you, yourself, were deserving.

When a god uses the exigence they are just tapping into the UCS' toolchest for a day. They are doing almost exactly what he does, and it's only more personal because they exhaust themselves or die in the process, where as there's more of him. Meanwhile, there is not some big nested set of if/then statements running in loops somewhere directing solar exaltations around according to a divine calculus. You won't find that calculus hidden in some hunter-seeker module in the exaltation, either.

This happens at the same time as he's turned his back on Creation because he is a god, and more than one thing. Like how Jesus is the son of God and also God, and how Rama=Vishnu. This stopped happening while the Jade Prison was a thing, and got hijacked by various dissident Primordial types, because that aspect of him was stuck in the Jade Prison/stolen.

Saying that the Exigency is somehow any more about you being personally deserving or the god being personally involved is about fanon or old sour feelings about the Solars, not about how they've actually presented Solars and Exigents.

In fact, the major difference makes Exigency less about your personal worth, because a god can turn you into an exigent even before you've actually done anything significant. You only become a Solar after you've actually demonstrated worth and agency.

NiciasTSOF fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 17, 2014

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Why would anyone care what the writer intended? The book says what it says regardless of the what the writer thought they were putting down on the page.
Sure, and I've read those same words and I disagree with your conclusions. Your argument is also implicitly premised on the notion that a lot of 2E isn't "true" Exalted, and that you can somehow determine what "real" Exalted is based on your interpretation of early material- because if we take what other people later wrote about the setting into account your suggestion that we should interpret Solars as embodying Human Heroism rather than any external supernatural force becomes much less well supported. If your thematic analysis is as true and obvious as you claim, don't you think it's curious that a lot of that later material suggests a different interpretation of the setting? I mean I'm not a huge fan of all the 2E changes either, but it seems curious that most of the later line developers were largely garbage idiots who couldn't see the wisdom that you're dropping on us.

quote:

Yes there is, and yes it is. You agreed with this yourself several posts up, acknowledging that e.g. really good aim is of a more mundane and human character than shapeshifting or retroactive timeline editing. Plenty of Solar magic also bolsters convictions, evokes numinous power that drives back creatures of darkness, and otherwise evokes holiness and sanctification. This isn't actually in dispute.
Really good aim is more mundane and human than shapeshifting or timeline editing. So is being strong/swift and having good fortune/arranging circumstance/cheating. Magically producing duplicate flaming arrows of sunlight from nowhere and killing a dozen men with a single pull of a bowstring isn't mundane at all. And that's a thing that Solars do and is pretty emblematic of the way they actually achieve their "excellence." Are Solars really evoking "mundane and human" powers of holiness and faith (in who or what?) when they blow up people on the Sun's personal poo poo-list with divine fire or blast balls of sunlight out of their swords? Please, that's utter nonsense and has nothing to do with Solars embodying either "heroism" or "humanity." The notion that Solar powers are "mundane" is disputed as all hell.

quote:

Solar magic - like all magic - is the manipulation of essence (magical power) to create otherwise-impossible effects. In the most trivial sense, Solar magic is the strongest kind of magic because it comes from the strongest magic-granting god. Pretty open and shut case, here.

Solar magic represents the power of arete, heroism, virtue, faith, skill, etc - colloquially-positive qualities demonstrated even by completely mundane, mortal heroes, such as the really-existing ones found on Earth. Therefore, the fact that Solar magic is the strongest kind of magic represents that heroism, skill, etc. are the strongest forces in the setting - they don't always triumph, but they inevitably triumph.

Even though the Primordials were more powerful than the gods, the arete of the gods allowed the gods to overthrow the Primordials.

Even though the Solars were more powerful than the Dragon-Blooded, the arete of the Dragon-Blooded allowed the Dragon-Blooded to overthrow the Solars.

Does this make sense? Like I said, it's one of the ironies of the setting that the objective, literal, magical power derived from arete - Solar magic - was ultimately trumped and overthrown by actual arete - the heroism, skill, and determination of the Dragon-Blooded and their Sidereal co-conspirators. So, not even the overt, literal manifestations of heroism are actually immune to heroism or exempt from the consequences of heroism. It's cool.
No, it doesn't. To the degree that Solar magic represents arete found in mundane, mortal heroes found on actual Earth, it also represents arete found in dinosaur men, cave goblins, and embodied concepts. There's nothing particularly "human" about it. It's also unclear that the arete Solars possess is actually the same thing, because again it allows them to be "excellent" in ways that totally diverge from the ways a mortal can be "excellent" in in both kind and degree (often to such an extent that it becomes kind again). It may be the strongest force in the setting but that doesn't make it a human force. You're also conflating different concepts- "heroism" isn't the same thing as "skill" isn't the same thing as "determination" in the setting, which is part of the reason that you're running into trouble with arete (or its synonyms) having different and contradictory meanings. I don't see any clever irony here- I see evidence that your suggested thematics involve the conflation of multiple different things and become muddled if applied to the setting as it's actually written. To me that doesn't suggest it's a great interpretation we should all be jumping on.

quote:

All the Exalted are equally human (besides, I guess, far-along Abyssals and Infernals or insane Lunar chimera or w/e, but you get what I'm saying). Like I said upthread, the basic formula behind every Exalt is the same: take one human, add one dose of supernatural power.

Just as Lunar power is bestial and Sidereal power is fateful, Solar power is heroic. That doesn't mean Solars are all heroic, or the most heroic - just that their magic partakes of and trades on the narrative power of heroism itself.

Because excellence isn't a cosmic principle entirely divorced from humanity, in Exalted. It is in fact the case that the Exalted whose magic most heavily deals in raw excellence are the most overtly human. Excellence predated humanity in the timeline of Creation, but it's tied to Creation's humanity (and to really-existing out-of-character Earth humanity) by its presentation.
Solar power isn't rooted narrative power at all. It's rooted in excellence and perfection, which enables Solars to be heroic. But their power isn't rooted in perceptions or stories of heroism. And heroism isn't any sort of uniquely human or Solar thing.

Also, remember how I said your viewpoint would inevitably lead you down the path of deprotagonizing other Exalts by implicitly denying their heroism and humanity, but you'd try to weasel out of it? What is it you think you're doing here? "All Exalts are (or can be) heroic" (but Solars are powered by literal Heroism). "All Exalts are human" (but Solars are the most overtly human and are the only ones who retain it as they get powerful, all evidence to the contrary be damned). I mean you can be "heroic," but you'll never really compare to the guy whose shtick is literal Heroic Human. And again, it's only tied to Creation's humanity because you've more or less arbitrarily decided decided "Golden Sun Guy who flares with an icon of inhuman power that terrifies the peasants when he channels magic that lets him do wildly inhuman things like creation of objects ex nihilo from Sunlight and banishing and summoning objects from reality at will" is more "overtly" human than a guy who channels magic to make his very human-looking rear end extremely lucky. I don't think Solar excellence is particularly tied to humanity by presentation, and its existence before humanity and continued independent existence is part of the reason why.

Setting themes should be supported and reinforced by setting "facts."

quote:

Solars become louder and more archetypical examples of human heroism as they grow in power. Old Solars aren't actually consistently described as superpowered transhumans except in certain places, and even there it's just some of them who went all weird, not all of them. Desus wasn't an alien superintelligence. Merela wasn't an incomprehensible AI.

It's entirely appropriate for Solars to be able to cast their humanity aside, and delve into bizarre esoterica that seem wholly wrong and unnatural. The thing is, it's a choice, a deliberate work of artifice. IRL singularitarians might slaver at the thought of dissolving into grey goo and being uploaded to the internet, but none of them have the luxury of just sitting back, crossing their arms behind their heads, and allowing themselves to naturally transmute from flesh to nanomachines.
Is their residual humanity the result of their growth into greater archetypes of heroism, or their failure to do so? Ancient Lunars and Sidereals don't become completely divorced from their basic humanity either, but they certainly don't become more human. Solars definitely become more powerful and "excellent" versions of themselves, but I don't think you can make any sort of convincing case they become more "heroic" or "human." And since you're arguing they embody Heroism (or Humanity- I'm a little unclear on which?) that seems like a problem for you.

quote:

Did you... just not read what I said at all?

They don't contradict my entire premise because they're corrupted Solars. If they had nothing to do with Solars it'd be another story.

You're getting cause and effect backwards. Solar magic isn't the strongest because it's the most heroic. Solar magic is the strongest, and it's the most heroic, and this pair of not-contingent-on-each-other facts makes an implicit statement about the nature of human heroism vis-a-vis various other forces.
But they're corrupted to the point that their power comes from somewhere else entirely. I mean you're arguing that the archetypes you've taken it upon yourself to assign are more important than setting facts (beyond power tier assignment), so isn't the fact that Solar magic isn't actually The Strongest when compared to an Infernal powered by forces beyond Creation that are very inimical to humanity a problem for you? What does that say to our narrative about heroism? Oh right, that it's everything is still fundamentally rooted in Human Heroism (except when it isn't because I don't like owning up to the implications this has for other Exalted, or when the setting contradicts this by having heroic humans overcome Heroic Humans [who in all other circumstances represent inhuman archetypes that Heroic Humans overcome, except in this circumstance because ???]). Also actual heroic humans don't figure into this at all, unless they've been externally empowered by the Sun God of Excellence. Yeah I can't imagine why I'm resisting accepting this interpretive paradigm.

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Mexcillent posted:

Yeah. I guess that there's a lot of work to be done and things fall to the wayside but it's kind of disappointing how copy and paste they are.

I love the GMC social system and am sad they didn't loot it like Orks.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ErichZahn posted:

I love the GMC social system and am sad they didn't loot it like Orks.

The level of insularity given all the neat improvements in the WoD stuff is just weird.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roadie posted:

The level of insularity given all the neat improvements in the WoD stuff is just weird.
I bet there's a reason for it, and I bet that reason is incredibly stupid.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MJ12 posted:

No, I'm saying that what you're writing is basically Solar propaganda that isn't really borne out by the rest of the setting, and hangs essentially on only two points of evidence.

You've already said that these facts are not, in fact, related. Yet, you then go and claim those facts are, in fact, related.

I'm really nonplussed here. I don't get why you don't get this.

Within the setting, the two facts don't have a causal relationship. Heroism doesn't get power, and power doesn't beget heroism.

However, because power and heroism are stapled together nevertheless, the setting makes an implicit statement about power nd heroism, to us, the readers. A game in which the Solars are the mightiest of the Exalted is different from a game in which the Lunars are the mightiest, or in which none are mightiest, or in which Solars are weakest, or whatever. That's all I'm saying - Solars being the best has thematic implications which would go away if Solars weren't the best.

A lot of the rest of your post, along with previous posts you've made, follows the same form: "But wait, if human heroism makes you the strongest in Exalted, why is [thing which isn't evocative of human heroism] strong?"

To which the answer always is, I didn't say that heroism literally begets strength, I'm saying the association of heroism with the pinnacle of strength has thematic implications. I'm not sure what's hard to understand, here.

quote:

I've already told you that there's a simpler explanation which is better-supported by the facts. Solars, as the starting splat and thus the one which 100% of all Exalted players will be able to make, must be broad in scope and support a lot of stories (much like the core D&D classes have to do so). Because they didn't want an eternal supplement war of "I'm the strongest!" "No, I'm the strongest!" they made the starting splat explicitly the most powerful splat. This is all there is to it. It's not a message that heroism is the strongest kind of magic. No, if that was the message, they'd make Infernals and Abyssals explicitly weaker, instead of Solar-tier, because they might have the raw power of the Solar exaltation but they aren't heroic in the same humanistic way Solars are. If the setting was explicitly intended to endorse human virtue as the pinnacle of power, Infernals should have been weaker than Solars instead of on the same tier. It'd have been trivial to explain in-setting without seeming arbitrary, and would reinforce that conclusion.

See? Here's you making that mistake. No, literally being a hero does not give you +5 to your armor class. That is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that Exalted associates strength with human heroism and agency - which is why Solars and Solar derivatives are the mightiest of the Exalted.

It could do what you're saying. Exalted could have been written such that corrupted, evil Solars are weaker than pure, unsullied Solars. If it was written like that, there'd be additional moral implications, really unusual ones in fact; can you imagine a Creation in which going evil actually made you weaker? But since Infernals and Abyssals are as strong as Solars, not weaker than Solars, we can draw different conclusions.

quote:

Similarly, your rebuttal to LGD implies that 'transhumanism' must be beep boop emotionless robots, whereas it's just saying "attempt to exceed natural human limitations". The First Age Solars, as inhuman (or at least inhumane), larger-than-life figures with superhuman powers, were very much transhumans, or Greek gods, or whatever. They weren't, however, humans. They were inhuman might that happened to manifest itself in a superficially human form.

Yes, they were. I mean I guess the ones who actually mutated themselves into whatever arguably weren't any longer, but it's honestly very hard to decide just where someone stops being "human" and as a general rule the Exalted are human beings. This includes Lunars and Terrestrials and so on, although I guess the jury's out on Alchemicals.

quote:

Yes, and you'd still be going to a very weird place. Why is it that the particular party who is the strongest says something about a core theme of the game? You're not even saying it's just a possible interpretation-you're saying it's the one true interpretation, and the latter is kind of not supported by either the intended scope of the game or the setting facts. It's literally based on two facts you mention are explicitly unrelated in-setting and out-of-setting can be explained with several alternative rationales, some of which I've already given.

Dude, like... everything says something about the themes of the game. That's the point. Exalted isn't a pile of meaningless technical information. Everything in it has implications and correspondences with real-world ideas. If the relative tiering of the different kinds of Exalted wasn't an important part of the setting, people wouldn't discuss it as much as they do.

Incidentally, a good way to realize that you're wrong - like, in general - is to find yourself accusing your opponent of believing what they're saying.

quote:

Except it doesn't have the individualistic streak in the way you're thinking once you leave the white room. In fact, given how vital infrastructure and artifice and armies are (this isn't just mechanically, but in-setting!) it's a repudiation of that. The werewolf loses to the robot, because there's three of them for every one werewolf and all of them can load up to become combatants and powerful industry behind them. The Solar loses to the Shogunate, because the Shogunate has industry and infrastructure. Exalted is intended to repudiate the idea of the single wandering adventurer as someone who can change the world. That's why the game encourages you to set up an empire, control territory, raise armies, and build artifacts instead of wandering around murder-hoboing and looting stuff. Even for Solars and Lunars, two of the most individualistic splats, they benefit from subjects.

No, I don't think they were. I think that you're reading into Exalted a theme that isn't anything more than subconscious notion if at that, because it's so vague and so disconnected to everything else and it creates a statement that doesn't quite work with a lot of other statements. Like how Solars need allies, infrastructure, and all of that stuff to function at peak capacity. A vaguely-determined Solar (say, fighting for their Intimacy) with an army, friends, and a lot of swag is going to beat a Solar with none of those and more RAW DETERMINATION (fighting for their motivation).
(you had an unfinished sentence here from presumably a prior draft of the post, I just left it out)

Sure, absolutely. I don't disagree with any of this (well, not quite; a determined Solar could well succeed at beating a Solar who's lazier but better supported). Which kind of Exalt wins a white room fight is only one part of the greater picture (although it's not like Lunars don't have support structures, and it's not like Solar supremacy doesn't reveal itself through administration and logistics just as surely as it does through one on one swordplay). In Exalted, ...actually I'm going to put this at the end of your next quote:

quote:

Again, if this was a theme Exalted wanted to emphasize, why the existence of relatively cheap deprotagonizing attacks that Exalts (who, as we all know, are killing machines blessed by the power of gods) might have defenses against, but heroic mortals don't, for example? Again, most of these deprotagonizing Shaping attacks which existed in both 1E and 2E were useless against actual enemies. They only existed to make a statement. If they didn't exist, it'd strengthen your argument that heroism is the most powerful force. But they did. They were useless charms that people wrote and printed specifically to tell you "it doesn't matter if you're heroic or not. Do you have power? No? gently caress off and die."

In Exalted, the world is brutally unfair and the little guy is, as a general rule, completely exploited and absolutely miserable. There are a million and one ways for the weak to step on the strong, regardless of how plucky and determined the weak may be.

And yet, the weak are really important - they provide infrastructure that the strong rely on to be able to contend with the other strong. And yet, sometimes pluck and determination really and truly are enough, and the weak can rise up and destroy the strong. It's happened repeatedly. So the actual effects of heroism are subtle indeed - it in no way amplifies your existing magical powers or gives you stat bonuses or whatever, but is nevertheless never something you can truly and completely discount, because it can ultimately reshape the world.

quote:

And why the Primordial War? We don't actually know the kill-death ratio of the Primordial War, except that it was greatly in favor of the Primordials (assuming you only count Primordials and Exalted). Even ignoring the fanon "Exalted zerg rush kekekekeke" stuff the Primordials didn't lose because they were metaphorically trumped by human determination. They lost because they were surprise attacked due to not being able to comprehend the idea that their lessers might rise up against them and then buried under corpses. That doesn't sound like 'heroism and determination trump raw power/inhuman mutation' to me, that sounds like 'you can accomplish great things if you pave a road with corpses'.

It sounds, in fact, like both of those things. The gods and their Exalted vanguard were gloriously brave, but at the same time they pretty much died in miserable droves in their desperate shot at freedom. The two contrast, but don't contradict. I'm not giving you the one true interpretation of the setting... I am giving you a true interpretation of the setting, wholly compatible with a variety of other readings because Exalted itself is really densely packed.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

NiciasTSOF posted:

Hold up. Back to this part. What?

I'm going to leave aside the semantic arguments over human/transhuman/inhuman/latinroot!human and just focus in on this idea that Exigents are chosen personally because of their personal excellence whereas Solars are chosen by an impassionate machine. I'm going to focus on it because it's just not right.

The solar exaltation is the UCS reaching down and saying that you exemplified what he wants, and that you, yourself, were deserving.

When a god uses the exigence they are just tapping into the UCS' toolchest for a day. They are doing almost exactly what he does, and it's only more personal because they exhaust themselves or die in the process, where as there's more of him. Meanwhile, there is not some big nested set of if/then statements running in loops somewhere directing solar exaltations around according to a divine calculus. You won't find that calculus hidden in some hunter-seeker module in the exaltation, either.

This happens at the same time as he's turned his back on Creation because he is a god, and more than one thing. Like how Jesus is the son of God and also God, and how Rama=Vishnu. This stopped happening while the Jade Prison was a thing, and got hijacked by various dissident Primordial types, because that aspect of him was stuck in the Jade Prison/stolen.

Saying that the Exigency is somehow any more about you being personally deserving or the god being personally involved is about fanon or old sour feelings about the Solars, not about how they've actually presented Solars and Exigents.

In fact, the major difference makes Exigency less about your personal worth, because a god can turn you into an exigent even before you've actually done anything significant. You only become a Solar after you've actually demonstrated worth and agency.

No, Solars are not 'hand chosen for the virtues that the unconquered sun decided on'. They're picked by floating essence engines that no one can control, programmed to seek out people with the willpower and drive to do heroic things. But it's not personal. The Unconquered Sun hasn't touched the Solar Shards since he made them (in fact, he can't. He can't direct a shard to go to someone, he can't interact with the shards any more than anyone else. Only Autobutt can) And yeah, he programmed them to, thousands of years ago, seek out certain types of people to act as weapons of war.

But he's not choosing you. The Sun doesn't give a flying gently caress about you. He doesn't even give a Visitation to most of his Chosen (unlike Luna, who explicitly takes time out of her day to speak with every single one of her chosen, because she cares for them all, dearly). You are not what the Sun would choose if he had full control, most of the time. If you were, then Solars would all be Modern Heroes, instead of Classical Heroes. The Sun, in fact, dislikes most of his Solars, because they aren't as virtuous as he.

Exaltation for any of the non-Infernal/Alchemical/Dragonblooded ones are earned by a non-sentient magical machine deciding you fulfilled the criteria (written ten thousand years ago) and bonding with you. (Infernal Exaltations also do this when freed)

Exigence is directly more personal. It is based on a god being able to look at you and go 'you are exactly what I've ever wanted'. You aren't something they wanted a thousand years ago. You aren't something they will be ashamed of (unless you're a really good trickster). They are lessening themselves for you, because you are something important to them. Like the Farm-Goddess exigence story said - there were plenty stronger than you maybe, plenty more beautiful, plenty who are kinder. But you specifically are the one who was chosen. You are the one who a god sacrificed themselves to empower.

It's personal, in every way that the other exaltations aren't.

Edit: I mean, there's still an element of 'earning' your Exaltation, but it's still not personal. It's you fulfilling criteria and getting lucky, so boom you're gold now.

Edit2: Oh, and Alchemical exalted are earned by a semi-sentient (sleeping autochthon) magical machine-primordial deciding you fulfilled the criteria over dozens of lives.

Edit 3: And no, this isn't just 2e poo poo. 1e was pretty much just as straight up that no, the incarnae can't do anything to control who gets what.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 17, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

LGD posted:

Sure, and I've read those same words and I disagree with your conclusions. Your argument is also implicitly premised on the notion that a lot of 2E isn't "true" Exalted, and that you can somehow determine what "real" Exalted is based on your interpretation of early material- because if we take what other people later wrote about the setting into account your suggestion that we should interpret Solars as embodying Human Heroism rather than any external supernatural force becomes much less well supported. If your thematic analysis is as true and obvious as you claim, don't you think it's curious that a lot of that later material suggests a different interpretation of the setting? I mean I'm not a huge fan of all the 2E changes either, but it seems curious that most of the later line developers were largely garbage idiots who couldn't see the wisdom that you're dropping on us.

You know, that's not actually true. What I'm saying isn't actually at direct odds with 2E TvTropes mechanize-everything logic. Solar magic is the evocation and reification of human heroism... so Solars that get a lot of Solar magic basically curdle into weird aliens who infinitely and robotically play out overblown human heroic archetype behavior, because in late 2E every single Exalt, without fail, curdles into a weird alien that infinitely and robotically plays out the most overblown possible expression of the archetype their powers suggest.

That doesn't mean their powers don't suggest distinct archetypes, and that the assignation of various archetypes to various places on the Exalted totem pole isn't of any significance.

quote:

Really good aim is more mundane and human than shapeshifting or timeline editing. So is being strong/swift and having good fortune/arranging circumstance/cheating. Magically producing duplicate flaming arrows of sunlight from nowhere and killing a dozen men with a single pull of a bowstring isn't mundane at all. And that's a thing that Solars do and is pretty emblematic of the way they actually achieve their "excellence." Are Solars really evoking "mundane and human" powers of holiness and faith (in who or what?) when they blow up people on the Sun's personal poo poo-list with divine fire or blast balls of sunlight out of their swords? Please, that's utter nonsense and has nothing to do with Solars embodying either "heroism" or "humanity." The notion that Solar powers are "mundane" is disputed as all hell.

It's not, though. Solar feats of strength are different from Lunar feats of strength. Solar cheating is different from Sidereal cheating. They're all magical, as I've said, and they all produce blatantly supernatural effects completely outside the scope of human capability, as I've said, but you do yourself no favors in repeating it because you and I both know that's irrelevant to the issue. Solars magically evoke excellence, Lunars magically evoke monstrosity. Both magical, but each with entirely different implications and thematic associations.

quote:

No, it doesn't. To the degree that Solar magic represents arete found in mundane, mortal heroes found on actual Earth, it also represents arete found in dinosaur men, cave goblins, and embodied concepts. There's nothing particularly "human" about it. It's also unclear that the arete Solars possess is actually the same thing, because again it allows them to be "excellent" in ways that totally diverge from the ways a mortal can be "excellent" in in both kind and degree (often to such an extent that it becomes kind again). It may be the strongest force in the setting but that doesn't make it a human force. You're also conflating different concepts- "heroism" isn't the same thing as "skill" isn't the same thing as "determination" in the setting, which is part of the reason that you're running into trouble with arete (or its synonyms) having different and contradictory meanings. I don't see any clever irony here- I see evidence that your suggested thematics involve the conflation of multiple different things and become muddled if applied to the setting as it's actually written. To me that doesn't suggest it's a great interpretation we should all be jumping on.

Solar power isn't rooted narrative power at all. It's rooted in excellence and perfection, which enables Solars to be heroic. But their power isn't rooted in perceptions or stories of heroism. And heroism isn't any sort of uniquely human or Solar thing.

Hey: dinosaur men, cave goblins, and embodied concepts aren't real. They don't exist. Solar magic doesn't represent any of those things, because when we talk about what Exalted represents (rather than what it actually contains as plot elements) we're talking about real-world concepts or events or ideologies.

This has been a source of constant confusion for you. You keep saying stuff like: but the dinosaur men are also skilled and heroic! Since both dinosaur men and humans can demonstrate heroism and skill, that means Solar magic is just as saurian as it is human!

But there are no dinosaur men for Solar magic to represent. There's just us.

quote:

Also, remember how I said your viewpoint would inevitably lead you down the path of deprotagonizing other Exalts by implicitly denying their heroism and humanity, but you'd try to weasel out of it? What is it you think you're doing here? "All Exalts are (or can be) heroic" (but Solars are powered by literal Heroism). "All Exalts are human" (but Solars are the most overtly human and are the only ones who retain it as they get powerful, all evidence to the contrary be damned). I mean you can be "heroic," but you'll never really compare to the guy whose shtick is literal Heroic Human. And again, it's only tied to Creation's humanity because you've more or less arbitrarily decided decided "Golden Sun Guy who flares with an icon of inhuman power that terrifies the peasants when he channels magic that lets him do wildly inhuman things like creation of objects ex nihilo from Sunlight and banishing and summoning objects from reality at will" is more "overtly" human than a guy who channels magic to make his very human-looking rear end extremely lucky. I don't think Solar excellence is particularly tied to humanity by presentation, and its existence before humanity and continued independent existence is part of the reason why.

Setting themes should be supported and reinforced by setting "facts."

See, this just reflects badly on you, making it look like your participation in this argument isn't driven by actual conviction in anything but instead a knee-jerk resistance to some kind of years old inter-splat warfare that you're having traumatic flashbacks of. Deprotagonized! Most human! Never compare! Whoooooo gives a poo poo.

Different kinds of Exalts are thematically distinct from each other, that's the whole point. Some of them are more monstrous than others.

quote:

Is their residual humanity the result of their growth into greater archetypes of heroism, or their failure to do so? Ancient Lunars and Sidereals don't become completely divorced from their basic humanity either, but they certainly don't become more human. Solars definitely become more powerful and "excellent" versions of themselves, but I don't think you can make any sort of convincing case they become more "heroic" or "human." And since you're arguing they embody Heroism (or Humanity- I'm a little unclear on which?) that seems like a problem for you.

Not really? Solars don't need to become increasingly "human" (what would that even mean) for what I'm saying to make sense. The problem here is on your end - I talk about one thing being more evocative of mundane human effort than another, and you're immediately conceiving of it in terms of Humanity scales that characters slide up and down along and gain various bonuses or penalties from.

quote:

But they're corrupted to the point that their power comes from somewhere else entirely. I mean you're arguing that the archetypes you've taken it upon yourself to assign are more important than setting facts (beyond power tier assignment), so isn't the fact that Solar magic isn't actually The Strongest when compared to an Infernal powered by forces beyond Creation that are very inimical to humanity a problem for you? What does that say to our narrative about heroism? Oh right, that it's everything is still fundamentally rooted in Human Heroism (except when it isn't because I don't like owning up to the implications this has for other Exalted, or when the setting contradicts this by having heroic humans overcome Heroic Humans [who in all other circumstances represent inhuman archetypes that Heroic Humans overcome, except in this circumstance because ???]). Also actual heroic humans don't figure into this at all, unless they've been externally empowered by the Sun God of Excellence. Yeah I can't imagine why I'm resisting accepting this interpretive paradigm.

That's wrong. If an Infernal's power actually came from somewhere else entirely, they wouldn't have had to be based on a Solar exaltation at all - Malfeas would've just made some, 'cause he felt like it. That the Yozis had to steal and corrupt a bunch of Solar Exaltations is actually very important.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ferrinus posted:

That's wrong. If an Infernal's power actually came from somewhere else entirely, they wouldn't have had to be based on a Solar exaltation at all - Malfeas would've just made some, 'cause he felt like it. That the Yozis had to steal and corrupt a bunch of Solar Exaltations is actually very important.

Actually, it's implied in the books that what kind of exaltation it was wouldn't really matter to the Yozi's, except for the narrative irony of turning the ones who defeated and sealed them into their greatest weapons.

It explicitly states that if Autochthon came back and, for some reason, allied with the Yozi, they'd get him to make more exaltations for Infernals, probably.

Edit: Also, the actual reason why the Solar Exaltations were chosen by the Yozi, and not say Lunars or whatever is, according to developers, because the Solar Exaltation was built to take more power, due to the Unconquered Sun being so powerful. And even the Solar Exaltation is too weak to hold the Yozi power for long, it's why if an Infernal wants to live beyond a few hundred years, it has to evolve past the need for an Exaltation.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Actually, it's implied in the books that what kind of exaltation it was wouldn't really matter to the Yozi's, except for the narrative irony of turning the ones who defeated and sealed them into their greatest weapons.

It explicitly states that if Autochthon came back and, for some reason, allied with the Yozi, they'd get him to make more exaltations for Infernals, probably.

Edit: Also, the actual reason why the Solar Exaltations were chosen by the Yozi, and not say Lunars or whatever is, according to developers, because the Solar Exaltation was built to take more power, due to the Unconquered Sun being so powerful. And even the Solar Exaltation is too weak to hold the Yozi power for long, it's why if an Infernal wants to live beyond a few hundred years, it has to evolve past the need for an Exaltation.

Yeah, but that didn't happen. We got a world in which Solar exaltations were the linchpin and bottleneck allowing Abyssals/Infernals to exist at all, and in which Solars could, freely and of their own volition, switch sides and allow themselves to be transformed into Abyssals or Infernals if the fancy struck them, thereby retaining their incredible power but twisting that power to new ends.

If there were 60 Infernals - 50 former Solars and then some assorted Akuma and off-the-cuff creations who were just as strong as the former Solars and indeed used the same charmset, because the original 50 Solars were just there for style points rather than any kind of metaphysical need - I'd have a much weaker position.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, but that didn't happen. We got a world in which Solar exaltations were the linchpin and bottleneck allowing Abyssals/Infernals to exist at all, and in which Solars could, freely and of their own volition, switch sides and allow themselves to be transformed into Abyssals or Infernals if the fancy struck them, thereby retaining their incredible power but twisting that power to new ends.

Actually, Solars can never become Infernals, and Infernals can never become Solars. The Yozi power is so much more and so different than Solar power that Infernals are irrevocably changed, and trying to do so (non-Akuma) to a real Solar would kill them.

Infernals and all Infernal shards are no longer Solar for nearly everything related to it. Even Autochton is stated to not be able to change them back, and he's the only one who can do poo poo like cleanse the Great Curse and poo poo like that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Actually, Solars can never become Infernals, and Infernals can never become Solars. The Yozi power is so much more and so different than Solar power that Infernals are irrevocably changed, and trying to do so (non-Akuma) to a real Solar would kill them.

Infernals and all Infernal shards are no longer Solar for nearly everything related to it. Even Autochton is stated to not be able to change them back, and he's the only one who can do poo poo like cleanse the Great Curse and poo poo like that.

Isn't there a dreams of the first age Charm whereby a Solar infernalizes themselves? Couldn't the yozis, given a willing Solar or captive Solar exaltation, forge it irreversibly into an Infernal? I'm almost positive that the first is true, if not the second. (Maybe the first just partially corrupts you and has you sprouting a limited selection of Infernal charms or something? Iirc it had solar circle sorcery as a prereq and couldn't ever be unbought)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ferrinus posted:

Isn't there a dreams of the first age Charm whereby a Solar infernalizes themselves? Couldn't the yozis, given a willing Solar or captive Solar exaltation, forge it irreversibly into an Infernal? I'm almost positive that the first is true, if not the second. (Maybe the first just partially corrupts you and has you sprouting a limited selection of Infernal charms or something? Iirc it had solar circle sorcery as a prereq and couldn't ever be unbought)

I'm not sure about the former, but the latter is provenly false. It explicitly states in the books that infernals and infernal shards can never change to solars or solar shards and yozi cannot change living solars into infernals.

I'm not sure if Solars could do it themselves, a lot of stuff Dreams does was weird, but if they can, it's likely that it just let them use Yozi charms, instead of making you an actual Infernal.

Edit: The reasoning for the first one is that the Deathlords/Neverborn cheated with designing their Exaltations, so that Abyssal Shards are basically Inverted Solar Shards, that can, logically, be inverted again. This was done so that the Deathlords could capture and turn more Solars into Abyssals to feed their armies. They never considered the idea that the opposite could happen.

Meanwhile, the Yozi erased the Solar power completely, and filled the Exaltation with their own mish-mash of power, so that they could make perfect emulations of themselves, because they are egotists. This had the bonus of making the impossible to 'redeem', but also made it a very difficult and trying process to create them in the first place, and meant they couldn't get more soldiers for their war, at least not true Infernal ones.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 17, 2014

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm not sure about the former, but the latter is provenly false. It explicitly states in the books that infernals can never change to solars and yozi cannot change living solars into infernals.

I'm not sure if Solars could do it themselves, a lot of stuff Dreams does was weird, but if they can, it's likely that it just let them use Yozi charms, instead of making you an actual Infernal.

Primordial Principle Emulation, the charm in question, lets the Solar buy Yozi charms. It doesn't turn them into an Infernal. It was implied that you could turn yourself into a Yozi with it, but that's because the Yozi habe a Charm that lets you become a inhuman world god without external modification to your soul.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ah, so I guess the only way to mint an actual new Infernal would be to somehow get ahold of a Solar shard and do to that what you did to the first fifty? Like, raid Lytek's office at just the right moment, or something.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, so I guess the only way to mint an actual new Infernal would be to somehow get ahold of a Solar shard and do to that what you did to the first fifty? Like, raid Lytek's office at just the right moment, or something.

Even that's implied to be... difficult to impossible. It'd require the building of a new Jade Prison or whatever, basically - nothing, not even the other primordials, can keep their hands on non-imprisoned shards, and Lytek's cabinet holds them only of their own 'will' and they can instantly leave it.

Both Abyssals and Infernals were designed while the Prison still existed or... something. There's a lot of narrative contradictions to it, as well as plain ol' regular contradictions.

The Yozi can't even take a Solar Akuma and be like 'okay, sacrifice your life so I can make you an infernal shard'. The shard dips away too quick for them to overwrite it. So basically, in 2e, you can never really make more Infernals. Ever. Well, that's not true - if an infernal gets to seven essence, they can detach their own exaltation, and keep all the exaltation powers (via Devil-Tiger tree) meaning you'd have 50 infernals and one Being With Infernal Power.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

^^- The Deathlords built a giant skeletor which had some kind of macro-monstrance in it, they later wrapped all their jugged up Exaltations in Monstrances (and I guess logically, not that it matters, put the ones they gave to the Yozis in Monstrances too). Since the skeletor got hosed up or this was a bad idea or Eru Iluvatar intervened a little, they only got half, rather than the '300, less a handful of ones who died too late to go in the jug' they'd hoped for.

I imagine the other reason why the Yozis made Infernals out of Solars was because there wasn't a giant jug full of Sidereal or Lunar Exaltations laying around for them to raid.

I also gather you can go Akuma and your exaltation would respawn normally (albeit with the possibility of your future incarnation having some bad memories from, you know, being the Yozis' special friend) but becoming an Infernal turns you inside out while Abyssal, apparently, just involves breaking off the Great Curse in the course of flipping the switch from "light" to "darque."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nessus posted:

I also gather you can go Akuma and your exaltation would respawn normally (albeit with the possibility of your future incarnation having some bad memories from, you know, being the Yozis' special friend) but becoming an Infernal turns you inside out while Abyssal, apparently, just involves breaking off the Great Curse in the course of flipping the switch from "light" to "darque."

Yep. An Akuma, when killed, has their exaltation go to Lytek's cabinet for cleaning. They tend to get weird memories, and are prone to having the 'past lives' or 'throwback' merit or flaw, but are otherwise just fine.

And I didn't know about the macro-monstrance and stuff, because I couldn't read most of Abyssals! That's really interesting though, thanks!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

You know, that's not actually true. What I'm saying isn't actually at direct odds with 2E TvTropes mechanize-everything logic. Solar magic is the evocation and reification of human heroism... so Solars that get a lot of Solar magic basically curdle into weird aliens who infinitely and robotically play out overblown human heroic archetype behavior, because in late 2E every single Exalt, without fail, curdles into a weird alien that infinitely and robotically plays out the most overblown possible expression of the archetype their powers suggest.

That doesn't mean their powers don't suggest distinct archetypes, and that the assignation of various archetypes to various places on the Exalted totem pole isn't of any significance.
They're the evocation of reification of something, but I sure don't know why you insist that needs to be "humanity" or "heroism" at the expense of all the other human heroes in the game. You really haven't established this at all, and all your dancing around about how strength and heroism and humanity are associated but not linked (until they implicitly are) hasn't helped anything.

quote:

It's not, though. Solar feats of strength are different from Lunar feats of strength. Solar cheating is different from Sidereal cheating. They're all magical, as I've said, and they all produce blatantly supernatural effects completely outside the scope of human capability, as I've said, but you do yourself no favors in repeating it because you and I both know that's irrelevant to the issue. Solars magically evoke excellence, Lunars magically evoke monstrosity. Both magical, but each with entirely different implications and thematic associations.
Or do Lunars tap into a fundamental human impulse to master and control every aspect of themselves and accomplish great things because of it? Do Sidereals tap into a fundamental human impulse to control circumstance, be master of their own fate? Lunars only need to be Monstrous if you're opposing them against Humanity. Since you admit Solars are doing plenty of wacky things that aren't particularly rooted in any kind of excellence a human can have, it's still really unclear why this kind of magical being that does inhuman things with magic is more human that that kind of magical being that does inhuman things with magic. Except that one looks more human than the other. But poo poo, Sidereal magic look plenty human- why do their dice gimmicks make them Not Actually Real Boys? But Excellence is human I guess, so long as we ignore all the setting "facts" that suggest it really isn't and only focus on the setting "facts" you think are important as well (along with a few unsupported premises).

quote:

Hey: dinosaur men, cave goblins, and embodied concepts aren't real. They don't exist. Solar magic doesn't represent any of those things, because when we talk about what Exalted represents (rather than what it actually contains as plot elements) we're talking about real-world concepts or events or ideologies.

This has been a source of constant confusion for you. You keep saying stuff like: but the dinosaur men are also skilled and heroic! Since both dinosaur men and humans can demonstrate heroism and skill, that means Solar magic is just as saurian as it is human!

But there are no dinosaur men for Solar magic to represent. There's just us.
Whoa man, heavy stuff. But what if, like, Solars aren't intended to be a universal representation of humanity? Then your whole argument might fall apart. If only we could determine whether they were by looking at the way the setting is actually written rather than just making some assumptions external to the game and glossing over anything that contradicts that. Then you might have to answer for putting forward obviously garbage arguments like asserting that the ability to fire sun bolts from your rear end is emblematic of the human spirit and the true nature of heroism in the real world.

quote:

See, this just reflects badly on you, making it look like your participation in this argument isn't driven by actual conviction in anything but instead a knee-jerk resistance to some kind of years old inter-splat warfare that you're having traumatic flashbacks of. Deprotagonized! Most human! Never compare! Whoooooo gives a poo poo.
Me, because your outlook is the kind of garbage that leads to dumb intersplat warfare and you're promoting it as the One True interpretation of Exalted. And you should because you're actively promoting this poo poo. And look, Exalted is a cool game about all sorts of heroes doing cool things. Your interpretation depreciates large parts of the setting in service to some weird urge to make Exalted ideologically pro-human heroism only as seen and done by Solars. Everyone else is "lesser" because they don't reflect the core nature of humanity as well as the glowing sun guys. This is like saying that the fact of Wizard supremacy in D&D 3.x is a reflection of humanity's core impulse to alter reality as we see fit rather than being caught in the hum-drum reality of our lives as a Fighter, and therefore we can only interpret the setting in ways that contrast Man as Conqueror of the Cosmos vs. Man as Dirt Farmer, and we should both interpret the setting around this paradigm and work to see that it remains enshrined as the core of the setting. And I'm saying- no, that actually isn't what it's about, there are a ton of things that contradict your interpretation, and that interpretation will necessarily lead to a worse setting and worse games.

quote:

Different kinds of Exalts are thematically distinct from each other, that's the whole point. Some of them are more monstrous than others.
Sure. But is monstrosity their primary theme, and should they be viewed primarily through that lens? No, unless you're insisting we take a completely Solar-centric view of the game, which there isn't really any reason to do.

quote:

Not really? Solars don't need to become increasingly "human" (what would that even mean) for what I'm saying to make sense. The problem here is on your end - I talk about one thing being more evocative of mundane human effort than another, and you're immediately conceiving of it in terms of Humanity scales that characters slide up and down along and gain various bonuses or penalties from.
But everything that they do with their power becomes less and less evocative of mundane human effort the stronger they get. And if they're really supposed to be seen as an archetype of Humanity or Heroism they should reinforce those themes more and more as they grow in power, just as you're insisting Lunars become more Monstrous and Sidereals become more Fateful. They become more and more Excellent (to a truely inhuman degree) but you're quite right that they're not sliding up a Humanity or Heroism scale- that's because they're not actually intended to be the representations of those things in the setting at the expense of the other Exalted.

quote:

Yes, because the Yozis aren't Autocthon. Again, you're picking and choosing which "setting facts" get to apply. If we care about the thematic resonance of different Exalt types and not things like setting history and so on then the fact that Infernals are derived from Solar shards is irrelevant. They power they manifest is obviously inhuman, comes from inhuman sources, and renders than less human over time. It's a power far more monstrous than that of a Lunar (they evoke beings and principles from beyond creation) and it's every bit as potent as that of a Solar.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This reminds me of how much I hate the Jade Prison, Lytek, and the treating of 'shards' as physical things with properties you can talk about and make references to. Frankly I prefer to keep exaltations as mysterious spiritual things that can't really be interacted with or referenced in any useful manner, not by gods, not by Lytex, not by the Primordials.

It would require some rewriting of the lore, but it's just such a stupid kludge filled with contradictions and fanon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mendrian posted:

This reminds me of how much I hate the Jade Prison, Lytek, and the treating of 'shards' as physical things with properties you can talk about and make references to. Frankly I prefer to keep exaltations as mysterious spiritual things that can't really be interacted with or referenced in any useful manner, not by gods, not by Lytex, not by the Primordials.

It would require some rewriting of the lore, but it's just such a stupid kludge filled with contradictions and fanon.
The shards are all god-plasmates. DBs are First Circle demons of Gaia (if heavily interbred with humans). :getin:

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Having Exaltations be these autonomous atomistic spheres floating around searching out people based on independent criteria is a pretty terrible setting element. "Chosen of X, except X didn't actually choose you" is not very mythic or interesting, and it implies personal qualities in the setting can be measured and detected by little beep-boop shards, which is ridiculous and reeks of both Virtue-Mechanics-As-Setting-Fact and Magitech Bullshit.

2.5 declared that any Solar can get a personal message from the Unconquered Sun upon Exaltation, and that seems pretty at odds with all the autonomous shard BS. Also, I think Infernal/Abyssal backstories are more fun to write if you can declare which Third Circle Demon/Deathlord picked you and why. Being personally chosen gets a little weird for Terrestrials, but I would personally have the remnants of the ancestors in the blood silently debating whether the host was worthy, because that would be cool.

If anyone brings up crap about the Neverborn picking the hosts of those Exaltations, I don't want to hear it. The Neverborn are amorphous hate blobs and derivative and uninteresting.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Also, just a note, design for Infernals suggested they should be stronger than normal Solars, but pay for that strength with becoming more and more transhuman, and more and more limited. I think this was changed by the time Broken Winged Crane came out, but Infernals were basically supposed to be "Hyper Specialized Solars. But better". They'd just slowly give up their ability to feel empathy, cover themselves in mutations, turn their arms ashen and black, view humans as food or playthings, etc as a side effect of this power.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

KittyEmpress posted:

Also, just a note, design for Infernals suggested they should be stronger than normal Solars, but pay for that strength with becoming more and more transhuman, and more and more limited. I think this was changed by the time Broken Winged Crane came out, but Infernals were basically supposed to be "Hyper Specialized Solars. But better". They'd just slowly give up their ability to feel empathy, cover themselves in mutations, turn their arms ashen and black, view humans as food or playthings, etc as a side effect of this power.

So first age Solars?

Edit: Or Elder Lunars?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Having Exaltations be these autonomous atomistic spheres floating around searching out people based on independent criteria is a pretty terrible setting element. "Chosen of X, except X didn't actually choose you" is not very mythic or interesting, and it implies personal qualities in the setting can be measured and detected by little beep-boop shards, which is ridiculous and reeks of both Virtue-Mechanics-As-Setting-Fact and Magitech Bullshit.

But it makes way more sense if you look at it from a Primordial War point of view. The Exaltations are completely autonomous because if they weren't, the Exaltation process would be useless, because then the gods would get killed and the Exaltations wouldn't exist. I'm pretty sure that's spelled out as why they were made autonomous, even. The Incarnae (and Autochthon) wanted to make sure that even if they were defeated, the war could continue, and victory claimed.

But yes, the Incarnae can, and sometimes do. Zenith Caste Solars explicitly always are visited by the Sun, who teaches them about him, since they're His priests. Other Solars 'sometimes' get visits. Luna explicitly visits every single one of her exalted. Sidereals... well, sidereals are normally kidnapped before they actually even Exalt, and are trained in Heaven, and likely will meet their Maiden at least once during that time.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

So first age Solars?

Edit: Or Elder Lunars?

More like Primordials. Elder Infernals would, under non-broken winged crane, eventually grow into having Kilomotes, but be unable to act outside of their charms, just like the Yozi.

This was, actually, changed with Devil-Tigers - A Devil Tiger can never gain a kilomote, they have normal exalted motes, but theoretically an Infernal could learn their charmset, and eventually take DEVILTIGER Mythos Exultant or whatever that one that is 'you become the primordial' is, and gain the kilomote! The trade off being that Devil-Tigers aren't defined by their charms at all, and can think and act outside of them. They can even still learn the charms of other Yozi, and even make Heretical charms (including making Heretical charms between their own charms and a Yozi's)

Edit: And I'm going to be honest here on the first point, I like the idea that came at the end of 1e and into 2e, of the Exalted being first and foremost weapons. That the Incarnae designed them to be fire and forget WMDs to defeat the primordials, and then left them to rule humans while they played video games, no longer caring what they did with themselves. I think that makes the idea of virtuous Exalted all the more interesting and unique, while making it so that 'evil solars' aren't an impossibility.

Edit2: Also, I don't understand what you're talking about with 'personal qualities' or 'virtues as mechanics as setting facts' poo poo, because no, Exaltations don't look at anything personality wise about you except for one thing: "Did he do something heroic, try to do something heroic, etc." Solars are as likely to be Compassion 1 Mass Murderers who Exalted single handily fighting the Imperial Cities' dragonblooded regiment of guards as they are to be Compassion 5 people the Sun actually would like. A big part of the setting, since the very first 1e book, is that Exaltation doesn't care about what kind of person you are, as long as you are capable of risking yourself doing something big

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 17, 2014

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Actually it's a great setting element, because it means that the Exalted are not meaningfully beholden to their patron god and can act independently of them. You're empowered because you're the kind of person they like or resonate with, not because you advance a specific agenda now and will be expected to do so in the future. It makes you your own man, in a way that you really couldn't in a setting that required explicit divine approval.

And shards are quasi-intelligent super-souls, you only need view them as Magitech if you view all complex magical items through that lens.

edit:

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: And I'm going to be honest here on the first point, I like the idea that came at the end of 1e and into 2e, of the Exalted being first and foremost weapons. That the Incarnae designed them to be fire and forget WMDs to defeat the primordials, and then left them to rule humans while they played video games, no longer caring what they did with themselves. I think that makes the idea of virtuous Exalted all the more interesting and unique, while making it so that 'evil solars' aren't an impossibility.

I genuinely think the game works better like this. It makes the virtue and genuine heroism of the Exalted PCs more important, specifically because they were cosmically irrelevant dirt-farmers who have suddenly been elevated to a position where they can kick most gods in the junk for being bastards. The universe fundamentally doesn't care about humanity, but because of cosmic circumstance it does care about the agency of some humans in particular (of which you are one). Deciding what to do with that is what the game should be about. Ferrinus is quite correct that the game and the universe does revolve around heroic humans, he's just wrong in thinking that that Solars are meant to be the universal emblem of heroic humanity in some sort of prescribed meta-narrative where dusty and ill-defined archetypes duke it out. The human heroes are almost certainly whichever Exalted you happen to be playing.

LGD fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 17, 2014

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

LGD posted:

Actually it's a great setting element, because it means that the Exalted are not meaningfully beholden to their patron god and can act independently of them. You're empowered because you're the kind of person they like or resonate with, not because you advance a specific agenda now and will be expected to do so in the future. It makes you your own man, in a way that you really couldn't in a setting that required explicit divine approval.

And shards are quasi-intelligent super-souls, you only need view them as Magitech if you view all complex magical items through that lens.

Being independent of your patron is a good setting element. Having quasi-intelligent 'shards' (the word makes my brain bleed) is dumb because they follow rules. If Autochthon had just altered Creation's laws such that Exalted were able to exist independent of 'shards', that would work just as well.

Instead we have magical spiritual glowies that can literally be caught in a butterfly net.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mendrian's right; "shards" are dumb.
Now, in general, your post repeats basically three themes, and I'll do my best to collect them:

empty denial posted:

They're the evocation of reification of something, but I sure don't know why you insist that needs to be "humanity" or "heroism" at the expense of all the other human heroes in the game. You really haven't established this at all, and all your dancing around about how strength and heroism and humanity are associated but not linked (until they implicitly are) hasn't helped anything.

Whoa man, heavy stuff. But what if, like, Solars aren't intended to be a universal representation of humanity? Then your whole argument might fall apart. If only we could determine whether they were by looking at the way the setting is actually written rather than just making some assumptions external to the game and glossing over anything that contradicts that.

Again, you've actually agreed upthread already that Solar magic is more mundane and humanlike in character than non-Solar magic. It's skill instead of shapeshifting, instuition instead of precognition. It doesn't matter what's "intended" and it certainly doesn't matter that Solar potential can be corrupted or transformed - the point is that:

* Solar magic is evocative of human arete
* Solar magic is the strongest kind

The juxtaposition of these two facts has implication for the setting in question. Stick your fingers in your ears all you want, you don't actually have contradictions to shoot me down with. All you've got is...

solars have overt magical powers posted:

Since you admit Solars are doing plenty of wacky things that aren't particularly rooted in any kind of excellence a human can have, it's still really unclear why this kind of magical being that does inhuman things with magic is more human that that kind of magical being that does inhuman things with magic.

Then you might have to answer for putting forward obviously garbage arguments like asserting that the ability to fire sun bolts from your rear end is emblematic of the human spirit and the true nature of heroism in the real world.

...the Yozis aren't Autocthon. Again, you're picking and choosing which "setting facts" get to apply. If we care about the thematic resonance of different Exalt types and not things like setting history and so on then the fact that Infernals are derived from Solar shards is irrelevant. They power they manifest is obviously inhuman, comes from inhuman sources, and renders than less human over time. It's a power far more monstrous than that of a Lunar (they evoke beings and principles from beyond creation) and it's every bit as potent as that of a Solar.

But, as I've said, that in no way refutes anything I've said, because everyone in Exalted has magic anime powers. The differences between those powers lie in their thematic elements (Solar charms are thematically more humanlike) and in their relative strengths (Solar charms are the strongest). Again, this draws an implicit equivalence between heroic effort and world-changing power. This equivalence is strengthened by the fact that even the most grotesquely, mind-bendingly inhuman magic available to PCs in the game just so happens to reach them through the bottleneck of a Solar exaltation.

Why do you keep bringing that up? Well...

you're being mean to non-solars posted:

Or do Lunars tap into a fundamental human impulse to master and control every aspect of themselves and accomplish great things because of it? Do Sidereals tap into a fundamental human impulse to control circumstance, be master of their own fate? Lunars only need to be Monstrous if you're opposing them against Humanity. Except that one looks more human than the other. But poo poo, Sidereal magic look plenty human- why do their dice gimmicks make them Not Actually Real Boys? But Excellence is human I guess, so long as we ignore all the setting "facts" that suggest it really isn't and only focus on the setting "facts" you think are important as well (along with a few unsupported premises).

Me, because your outlook is the kind of garbage that leads to dumb intersplat warfare and you're promoting it as the One True interpretation of Exalted. And you should because you're actively promoting this poo poo. And look, Exalted is a cool game about all sorts of heroes doing cool things. Your interpretation depreciates large parts of the setting in service to some weird urge to make Exalted ideologically pro-human heroism only as seen and done by Solars. Everyone else is "lesser" because they don't reflect the core nature of humanity as well as the glowing sun guys. This is like saying that the fact of Wizard supremacy in D&D 3.x is a reflection of humanity's core impulse to alter reality as we see fit rather than being caught in the hum-drum reality of our lives as a Fighter, and therefore we can only interpret the setting in ways that contrast Man as Conqueror of the Cosmos vs. Man as Dirt Farmer, and we should both interpret the setting around this paradigm and work to see that it remains enshrined as the core of the setting. And I'm saying- no, that actually isn't what it's about, there are a ton of things that contradict your interpretation, and that interpretation will necessarily lead to a worse setting and worse games.

Sure. But is monstrosity their primary theme, and should they be viewed primarily through that lens? No, unless you're insisting we take a completely Solar-centric view of the game, which there isn't really any reason to do.

But everything that they do with their power becomes less and less evocative of mundane human effort the stronger they get. And if they're really supposed to be seen as an archetype of Humanity or Heroism they should reinforce those themes more and more as they grow in power, just as you're insisting Lunars become more Monstrous and Sidereals become more Fateful. They become more and more Excellent (to a truely inhuman degree) but you're quite right that they're not sliding up a Humanity or Heroism scale- that's because they're not actually intended to be the representations of those things in the setting at the expense of the other Exalted

...it's because you're fighting Exalted's equivalent of an edition war rather than actually talking about the game. You think I'm trying to belittle your pet splat, whichever one it is, by pointing out that its powers are thematically different from those of the Solars. But, I don't care. It's true that Lunars are more monstrous than Solars, and Sidereals more abstruse and esoteric, and Alchemicals more impersonal, and so on. That's what gives each kind of Exalt its punch.

You're giving me all this empty sophistry about how really all the Exalts are the same and anything you could say about one you could easily also say about another so really distinctions can't legitimately be drawn - but, uhhh, no. They're radically different from each other, both in terms of their actual in-game power sets and in terms of the themes they embody. So, no, your precious Sidereals are Not Real Boys and you're pretty much just going to have to deal with it because these sharp divisions between the different kinds of player character are part of Exalted's appeal.

Incidentally, you're right about D&D 3.5. The direct implication of the fighter/wizard power disparity, despite the fact that both classes are ostensibly about just picking a skill and practicing that skill until you get good at it, is that if you're caught in the hum-drum reality of the fighter it's your own stupid fault and you deserve to be a hapless flunky. Vindictive just-world condemnation to drudgery is coiled at the very heart of the game. That's why, among other reasons, I don't like playing 3rd edition D&D.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The idea that Virtue, (or perhaps Virtù), is the driving force behind the Solars (contrast: it's Nature for Lunars, Destiny for Sidereals) should be really not controversial if you've read an Exalted core book. The fact that human beings irl are capable of virtue, but are not capable of becoming Nature, or harnessing Destiny - that's what is really at play. If you have two sentences to describe what a Solar is you will describe a mishmash of Great Men Of History (even naming names! of real or at least "real" historical figures like Tesla or Gilgamesh!). But a Lunar is a werewolf. In fact the OP of the Exalted threads have in the past done exactly this.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Again, you've actually agreed upthread already that Solar magic is more mundane and humanlike in character than non-Solar magic. It's skill instead of shapeshifting, instuition instead of precognition. It doesn't matter what's "intended" and it certainly doesn't matter that Solar potential can be corrupted or transformed - the point is that:

* Solar magic is evocative of human arete
* Solar magic is the strongest kind

The juxtaposition of these two facts has implication for the setting in question. Stick your fingers in your ears all you want, you don't actually have contradictions to shoot me down with. All you've got is...
Solar magic isn't actually evocative of human arete though. It's evocative of the excellence and perfection of the Sun God and has thematics to match. It starts out vaguely resembling things humans can do and then quickly flies off into doing its own, transhuman, thing very quickly. If Solar magic isn't fundamentally human than your entire argument falls apart. And, lo and behold, there is a boatload of setting-based evidence suggesting that Solars evoke something that isn't tied to or connected to humanity. You've attempted to get around this by asserting that Solar power most closely resembles things humans can do in real life. That's cool but it's only superficially true, because as mentioned the Solar exalted go superpowered and transhuman real fast and relies entirely on an assumption that we should assign special significance to the the Exalt type that mostly closely resembles whatever it is we think humans do in the real world. It isn't clear why we should make this assumption, especially when the game has setting elements that undercut the proposition that Solars are intended to evoke "human heroism" as their core feature. The game goes out of its way to make Excellence cosmologically distinct and separate from humanity, puts the inhuman embodiment of Excellence in as a first-among-equals with a variety of other gods (and one who notably less human looking than the others no-less), emphasizes repeatedly that all of the other Exalt types are heroic and cosmically important, and had a repeated theme of Solars being increasingly out-of-touch with humanity and engaging in monstrous behavior all throughout its game line. Given this I really don't see why I or anyone else should accept that Solars are intended to embody humanity (or particularly human excellence) at the expense of all other humans and Exalted without some kind of in-game evidence. We don't have that- we have your feelings that because the strongest magic most superficially resembles things humans can do they somehow represent Humanity or Heroism and are in opposition to the archetypes that the other heroic humans in the game embody. That just isn't compelling, and it isn't sticking my fingers in my ears to tell you so.

quote:

But, as I've said, that in no way refutes anything I've said, because everyone in Exalted has magic anime powers. The differences between those powers lie in their thematic elements (Solar charms are thematically more humanlike) and in their relative strengths (Solar charms are the strongest). Again, this draws an implicit equivalence between heroic effort and world-changing power. This equivalence is strengthened by the fact that even the most grotesquely, mind-bendingly inhuman magic available to PCs in the game just so happens to reach them through the bottleneck of a Solar exaltation.
Sure, it's anime magic. That doesn't change the fact that you're waving away the inhuman aspects of it, and seemingly arbitrarily deciding that the humanlikeness of their powers (be it ever so faint) is the most salient feature. Or that you're choosing particular setting facts as mattering, and others as being beneath your notice. Why does the fact that the Yozis reamed out a Solar Exaltation to fit their inhuman power matter, but the fact that the most wildly inhuman magic out there is the equal to the embodiment of human heroism, the Solars (since this is the wheel upon which the entire game spins) doesn't? That reinforces that the Solars are the most powerful (something no one is disputing), it doesn't reinforce the notion that this power is necessarily associated with or corresponds to humanity.

quote:

Why do you keep bringing that up? Well...

...it's because you're fighting Exalted's equivalent of an edition war rather than actually talking about the game. You think I'm trying to belittle your pet splat, whichever one it is, by pointing out that its powers are thematically different from those of the Solars. But, I don't care. It's true that Lunars are more monstrous than Solars, and Sidereals more abstruse and esoteric, and Alchemicals more impersonal, and so on. That's what gives each kind of Exalt its punch.

You're giving me all this empty sophistry about how really all the Exalts are the same and anything you could say about one you could easily also say about another so really distinctions can't legitimately be drawn - but, uhhh, no. They're radically different from each other, both in terms of their actual in-game power sets and in terms of the themes they embody. So, no, your precious Sidereals are Not Real Boys and you're pretty much just going to have to deal with it because these sharp divisions between the different kinds of player character are part of Exalted's appeal.

Incidentally, you're right about D&D 3.5. The direct implication of the fighter/wizard power disparity, despite the fact that both classes are ostensibly about just picking a skill and practicing that skill until you get good at it, is that if you're caught in the hum-drum reality of the fighter it's your own stupid fault and you deserve to be a hapless flunky. Vindictive just-world condemnation to drudgery is coiled at the very heart of the game. That's why, among other reasons, I don't like playing 3rd edition D&D.
No, I am thinking about the game. Again, I'm not sure what you think this framework accomplishes. You're not pointing out that powers are thematically different than the Solars (what a clever analyst you are!). You're advancing an argument that the entire game AND THE THEMATICS OF ALL OF THE OTHER EXALTED TYPES need to be understood in relation to some sort of archetype that you believe the Solars embody. And those relationships are necessarily inferior ones (because as you say the Sidereals Aren't Real Boys. And neither are the Lunars/Dragonblooded.). And that this is the One True Way to understand the game. I can understand why you don't like me pointing out the consequences of this kind of thinking, but I don't think I'm fighting an edition war to point out that in exchange for getting to wax poetic about some extremely stale archetypes you're advancing a view that actively undermines the humanity and heroism of any Exalt that isn't a Solaroid, because their themes can only be understood in terms of this one particular archetype and that archetype's inferiority to the Glorious Solaroid regime. I think you're going about things wrong when you're devaluing the real thing in favor of something you're insisting is that thing's symbolic representation. Why explore the thematics of different splats on their own when we can crowbar them into a One True Interpretation? This is the kind of poo poo that's actually worth fighting over because to my mind it's about as toxic as the worldview that insists the Usurpation didn't happen. You condemn the kind of thinking that insists some themes must be inherently inferior to others, and that leads to them being constantly deprotagonized and sidelined as something that makes you not want to play D&D 3.X, but you're insisting that we loving enshrine it at the heart of the game and yelling at me for "fighting an edition war" for suggesting that maybe this isn't actually a great way to understand the game, or a viewpoint we should be advocating others adopt. Bitch I don't care what you think about different splats personally- the different thematics give appeal to different splats to different people, and different power levels contribute to this (not always in a positive way). I don't think that appeal is enhanced (or the game improved) by an insistence insisting each and everyone of us understand and quantify each splat by the precise degree to which they suck the dick of Solaroids because you have some bizarre hangup that insists this must all conform to some stale meta-narrative imposed from outside the game where these transhuman humans are the most heroic humans of all because they only glow like Goku.

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 17, 2014

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Ferrinus posted:

Mendrian's right; "shards" are dumb.

"Shards" is a bad word for them, yeah. I like "sparks", but I don't know how that plays with anyone else.

While we're on dumb Exalted word gripes, am I the only one who hates the use of "Exalt" as a singular noun? Drives me loving crazy.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

2.5 declared that any Solar can get a personal message from the Unconquered Sun upon Exaltation, and that seems pretty at odds with all the autonomous shard BS. Also, I think Infernal/Abyssal backstories are more fun to write if you can declare which Third Circle Demon/Deathlord picked you and why. Being personally chosen gets a little weird for Terrestrials, but I would personally have the remnants of the ancestors in the blood silently debating whether the host was worthy, because that would be cool.

Exalted are the Chosen because the sparks pick people that their patron would have chosen anyway. You can't become a Lunar without being the sort of person that is a cool dude in Luna's eyes. There's just not a sign-off procedure, which factors into both the setting and more importantly the protagonism (sorry) of the Exalted. Someone upthread commented that the wandering ronin story should be available to every Exalted and I think that's exactly right. If you're a Solar, you're not beholden to the Unconquered Sun in any way. Your power is not his power and he has no say as to what you do with it.

quote:

If anyone brings up crap about the Neverborn picking the hosts of those Exaltations, I don't want to hear it. The Neverborn are amorphous hate blobs and derivative and uninteresting.

The Neverborn really do suck and that needs to change. I think step one is moving them out of the literal giant hole in the ground they inhabit. I like the idea that their tombs are at the analogue to where they died in Creation, so you have a bunch of crazy mini-Labyrinths aspected to individual Neverborn scattered around the Underworld.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So wait.

What are the dogs in this fight again? Is it important that Solars be human or... not human? Is it important the Lunars be equal to Solars? What the hell are we arguing?

Solars were always meant to be the setting's protagonists. Lunars were pretty explicitly Werewolves in 1e and unfortunately everything about the setting bares that out. Solars embody Virtue and skill-based magic (as opposed to Attribute magic or Constellation magic or whatever). In the beginning, they were supposed to have pretty much every competency in their wheelhouse because they were the playable splat, and they were meant to be the most versatile besides.

I'm not sure anything is gained by giving the splats narrative or mechanical parity. I'd rather rainbow circles continue to be abnormal rather than the default. If we get to a point where each splat has some mechanical (rather then merely thematic) 'niche', it becomes optimal to include the appropriate splat for each niche and that's not only cost prohibitive, it's a mechanical nightmare.

What I would like to see is Solar 'superiority' reigned in to reasonable levels. Like, at the Circle level, the differences should be minuscule between Celestials.

Tulul posted:

"Shards" is a bad word for them, yeah. I like "sparks", but I don't know how that plays with anyone else.

The word is bad, but I find the very concept stupid on a basic level. We're dealing with a character's ability to become a demigod. You can catch the drat things in a net, rub some pollution on them, or 'profane' them with Yozi jizz or whatever. It's stupid. Spiritual concepts shouldn't work that way.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 17, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm reminded of what a really salient and high-quality post from when you idiots had this conversation verbatim last year.

Attorney at Funk posted:

So the takeaway from this argument seems to be: people who don't think Solars are as cool as other splats resent that they're abstractly the strongest as a setting conceit, whereas people who enjoy that setting conceit are unimaginably tedious and lame.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mendrian posted:

The word is bad, but I find the very concept stupid on a basic level. We're dealing with a character's ability to become a demigod. You can catch the drat things in a net, rub some pollution on them, or 'profane' them with Yozi jizz or whatever. It's stupid. Spiritual concepts shouldn't work that way.

But that is basically how souls work in a lot of settings. And Exalted shards are significantly more difficult to mess with than souls are in most settings (including Exalted) If humanity had a natural possibility to become a Solar without external intervention the setting would be significantly different. The setting would also be quite different if the Exalted were directly bequeathed with power from their god. Though in a way they are- each shard is a tiny god who must sacrifice its independent existence to merge with and empower a human, and whose only concerns and responsibilities are maintaining a heroic legacy and selecting humans that match the preferences of its original creator. "An angel (messenger) from my merged with me and gave me power" doesn't seem like a particularly bad way to get empowered, nor does it seem unreasonable that such a messenger is catchable if you go to extreme lengths (and are a being in the same ballpark as the being that originally empowered the thing).

NiciasTSOF
May 15, 2014
The exaltation coming directly from the UCS doesn't obligate you to him. It's a singular gift, not a salary.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Mendrian posted:

So wait.

What are the dogs in this fight again? Is it important that Solars be human or... not human? Is it important the Lunars be equal to Solars? What the hell are we arguing?

The argument is about whether Solars being the strongest is:
1. A metaphor for how Exalted is an embrace of the idea that human virtue and excellence can defeat all comers (Team Ferrinus)

OR

2. An accident that comes out of multiple themes and out-of-universe considerations with no greater meaning to it except "Solars are strong" (Team LGD)

For my part, the reason I'm arguing against (1) and for (2) is because I like the idea that human virtue and excellence and all those things are fundamentally meaningless. What is meaningful is power, and well, power corrupts. This is kind of something that Exalted explicitly talks about, that if you have the power you can half-rear end things and win, and if you don't have the power no matter how virtuous and heroic you are you can go pound sand. Meanwhile, (1) means that Creation is anthropic in a way that rubs me wrong for a world where humans were sucky tasty treats created by cosmic schoolyard bullies to mock a kid with asthma who really liked playing with his dollies, and also is very easily interpreted as "Solars are the Best Heroes and every other splat sucks" even if Ferrinus doesn't mean it that way, and (3), it's based on a fact of the setting that, although explicitly stated, is only one setting element, while everything else is about how much humans suck and human willpower can be ground down by people who don't give much of a poo poo but have more raw power.

So maybe, in some extremely abstract way, the absolute most powerful force is human excellence if we take Ferrinus's argument as correct, but it's irrelevant to the setting because 99.9999% of people, and hell, most Solars, are never going to reach that pinnacle where that metaphysical truth matters. And something that matters to so few people and is written in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it-way (notice that several people aren't seeing the same conclusion despite Ferrinus trying to explain it and none of us are exactly being deliberately obtuse here) isn't an important setting element and is almost certainly not deliberate.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 17, 2014

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

LGD posted:

But that is basically how souls work in a lot of settings. And Exalted shards are significantly more difficult to mess with than souls are in most settings (including Exalted) If humanity had a natural possibility to become a Solar without external intervention the setting would be significantly different. The setting would also be quite different if the Exalted were directly bequeathed with power from their god. Though in a way they are- each shard is a tiny god who must sacrifice its independent existence to merge with and empower a human, and whose only concerns and responsibilities are maintaining a heroic legacy and selecting humans that match the preferences of its original creator. "An angel (messenger) from my merged with me and gave me power" doesn't seem like a particularly bad way to get empowered, nor does it seem unreasonable that such a messenger is catchable if you go to extreme lengths (and are a being in the same ballpark as the being that originally empowered the thing).

Yeah and then eventually degenerates into the same sort of navel-gazing setting dissection that we got in 2e. I won't tell you that you're wrong if you enjoy that sort of thing but I find it really tedious, and I for one enjoy having a few undefined elements in the setting rather than having to know exactly how every mechanism of the process that creates the thing works.

In 2e, they are not gods, they are little invisible spirit-sparks that seek out worthy successors based on predefined subroutines. When the host dies, they fly up into heaven where a god literally scrubs them clean, and then they fly out of his cabinet to seek out new hosts. Should they blunder into a net along the way, a net created by undefined setting fuckery that PCs are unable to replicate by the setting's own rules, they sit there like dumb idiots until the net is ripped apart and all the butterflies escape.

Gods/angels have character, for one thing, which would change the tenor of Exalted somewhat, though not necessarily for the worse. Without personality they are just mechanisms that fall into traps laid by brilliant villains who have the amazing power to conjure up arbitrary devices when the setting needs them do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

NiciasTSOF posted:

The exaltation coming directly from the UCS doesn't obligate you to him. It's a singular gift, not a salary.

Except that his granting it changes his position in the world since it requires him to actively intervene on a regular basis. Also, while it might not obligate you on an ongoing basis, it does raise the question of why he wouldn't restrict Exaltation largely to those who are going to do his bidding- and as a corollary why he'd bother to Exalt anyone if he didn't have bidding to do? You can invent reasons for that of course, but independent shards is a perfectly good solution that lets Exalted exist in a world where the Celestial gods largely don't give a gently caress and rarely intervene anywhere in Creation (or Heaven for that matter). On the whole I think that creates a more interesting setting, because Daddy is off getting drunk in a casino and you and the rest of the kids in the neighborhood can make your own trouble without having to worry about anyone with actual authority showing up.

Mendrian posted:

Yeah and then eventually degenerates into the same sort of navel-gazing setting dissection that we got in 2e. I won't tell you that you're wrong if you enjoy that sort of thing but I find it really tedious, and I for one enjoy having a few undefined elements in the setting rather than having to know exactly how every mechanism of the process that creates the thing works.

In 2e, they are not gods, they are little invisible spirit-sparks that seek out worthy successors based on predefined subroutines. When the host dies, they fly up into heaven where a god literally scrubs them clean, and then they fly out of his cabinet to seek out new hosts. Should they blunder into a net along the way, a net created by undefined setting fuckery that PCs are unable to replicate by the setting's own rules, they sit there like dumb idiots until the net is ripped apart and all the butterflies escape.

Gods/angels have character, for one thing, which would change the tenor of Exalted somewhat, though not necessarily for the worse. Without personality they are just mechanisms that fall into traps laid by brilliant villains who have the amazing power to conjure up arbitrary devices when the setting needs them do.
I completely agree that it's one of those things that is better left largely unexplored. I also think that plot-device artifacts are ok, and the game probably isn't worse if way to trap and warp the dog-brained nuclear angels of the UCS isn't something that's explicitly spelled out. I also don't think the game would be worse if they did have some personality- but poo poo, maybe that's what all those flashbacks from "your" past lives are? Its way of attempting to communicate?

LGD fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 17, 2014

• Locked thread