Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VigilantePrime posted:

Abandon consoles, PC master race is the future.

Yeah, just host all tournaments on PC, then you can sell video cards and poo poo. Nothing of value would be lost either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

Yeah, just host all tournaments on PC, then you can sell video cards and poo poo. Nothing of value would be lost either.

"Don't forget, guys, if you purchase an MSI GTX 780 during this major, you can give the code 'SummerJam2014' for a 15% discount."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sure, first thing you need to do: make 5 year old dells w/ onboard video run current fg releases

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
pc esports are bigger because get this: there is a much lower barrier of entry to play video games on pcs, and phones.

because everyone under 40 has at least basic access to a lovely 5 year old dell or better

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

sure, first thing you need to do: make 5 year old dells w/ onboard video run current fg releases

My mom's lovely laptop can run Divekick no problem :colbert:

also could probably run AE on super-low but it wasn't supposed to be a point, just a joke.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

I'm a outsider to fighting games and the surrounding community. I don't play any, only watch the bigger tournaments (and maybe an aquasilk stream or excellent adventures once in a while), but from my perspective there is no technical difference between the moba juggernauts and fighting games, fg's are just stuck in a self defeating loop: No company is going to release a quality free-to-play pc fighting game with valve style metagame-layers, cosmetics, and community funding/content, because fighting games are seen as too niche - but they're too niche because nothing like that exists to explode the playerbase

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

_jink posted:

I'm a outsider to fighting games and the surrounding community. I don't play any, only watch the bigger tournaments (and maybe an aquasilk stream or excellent adventures once in a while), but from my perspective there is no technical difference between the moba juggernauts and fighting games, fg's are just stuck in a self defeating loop: No company is going to release a quality free-to-play pc fighting game with valve style metagame-layers, cosmetics, and community funding/content, because fighting games are seen as too niche - but they're too niche because nothing like that exists to explode the playerbase

smash bros

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
someone hire me to make that game and ill make u a bajillion dollars

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sanford wins NLBC and played insanely well doing it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

_jink posted:

I'm not an outsider to fighting games or the surrounding community, and I have no idea what you are saying in this post but I think it probably doesn't matter

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Sanford made the best face turn.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

_jink posted:

Starcraft isn't free 2 play, from my current understanding having bought it, so having to buy a game isn't the big hurdle stopping a fighting game from being super popular. I'd more likely blame it on fractured playerbases spread across 3 sometimes 4 platforms as well as game companies being hamstrung by the console companies when it comes to updates.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You wouldn't want frequent updates in a fighting game anyway.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Funny you mention that because SF4 is one of the few games my more-than-five year old Dell Inspiron 5200 can actually run.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

When the Pie is away, the king comes out to play.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

He's on the mic again, dude has completely turned around.

Good for him, seriously.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Starcraft isn't free 2 play, from my current understanding having bought it, so having to buy a game isn't the big hurdle stopping a fighting game from being super popular. I'd more likely blame it on fractured playerbases spread across 3 sometimes 4 platforms as well as game companies being hamstrung by the console companies when it comes to updates.

I don't think starcraft is the best example? It's been completely eclipsed by mobas despite the scary amount of money and time thrown at it. But ya fractured playerbase is a contributing factor.

e

Zand posted:

I'm not an outsider to fighting games or the surrounding community, and I have no idea what you are saying in this post but I think it probably doesn't matter

I'm saying if you hacksawed the gameplay out of USF4 and dropped it into the framework valve has built around dota it would be just as big! Thats all.

Its all academic so maybe thoroughly uninteresting :sweatdrop:

just imagine of a world where you get a cute particle effects rose scarf drop when Louffy locked the first set(VALUE: $1300 USD), and he makes a quarter million dollars from evo compendium sales

I always enjoy watching evo so much, I just wish those dudes actually pulled some money in ;___ ;

_jink fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 17, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

VigilantePrime posted:

Abandon consoles, PC master race is the future.

Street Fighter 5, Steam exclusive, free to play.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dias posted:

Sanford made the best face turn.

Sanford is always like this on the mic. Except when he randomly goes and says that Smug isn't as good as him during the middle of his humble act.

But the man looks much happier now so I'm glad things are looking up for him.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sanford acting like he just got out of an abusive relationship

because he did

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Valle is hosting WNF in a garage it looks like. Regulars, Smug, and some international players are there.

https://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

iPodschun posted:

Valle is hosting WNF in a garage it looks like. Regulars, Smug, and some international players are there.

I think it's his house, I believe he'll be hosting this and maybe the next couple of WNFs there.

khorma
Jun 23, 2011

khorma fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 4, 2021

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think it's his house, I believe he'll be hosting this and maybe the next couple of WNFs there.

Yeah, superarcade is being remodeled now iirc.

Woden
May 6, 2006

40 OZ posted:

This is not a sure bet. Even at the height of starcraft popularity, the amount of people who actively played 1v1 ladder was miniscule.

This is a theory of mine, and I expect most will disagree, but I think you overestimate how much Joe Shmoe likes playing 1v1 games. In team games, you can blame your team or whatever for your loss.

I'm sure someone will try this at some point, though, and we'll see.

This is something I've believed for a while as well, multiplayer FPSs didn't get really popular with the masses until games like CoD, TF2, etc started popping up.

Part of the boom could be reaching critical mass with decent Internet access and those games working fine enough with higher latencies though. Designing a fighting game with high latency in mind is probably really tough, here's hoping for SF5.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
A fighting game designed for high latency would be garbage haha

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

_jink posted:

just imagine of a world where you get a cute particle effects rose scarf drop when Louffy locked the first set(VALUE: $1300 USD), and he makes a quarter million dollars from evo compendium sales

I always enjoy watching evo so much, I just wish those dudes actually pulled some money in ;___ ;

the caliber of player this attracts is so phenomenally low, though. Have you seen the people that play dota 2? They are terrible enough in general, but if you single out the players that are genuinely interested in things like cosmetics and tournament tickets, you are left with some of the worst possible players. Id rather fighting games be dead and arcane than accessible and filled with trashy competitors, personally

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

iPodschun posted:

Hahaha Ultradavid signed as Learned Hand.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

the caliber of player this attracts is so phenomenally low, though. Have you seen the people that play dota 2? They are terrible enough in general, but if you single out the players that are genuinely interested in things like cosmetics and tournament tickets, you are left with some of the worst possible players. Id rather fighting games be dead and arcane than accessible and filled with trashy competitors, personally

your soul is poisonous and rotten

oh no theres bad players bc theres sparkles, dont be a huge loving idiot babby zand. people are so much better at high level, with such great personalities like wolfkrone, chris g, marn and flippy champ. everyone who plays video games is a smelly dumb nerd to someone else.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Dias posted:

I thought it was really interesting in an interview Gamerbee said the biggest changes he'd like to see in SF is a change to PC for tournaments and a set of features that lets the community play like the FPS players do, or even like Japanese arcades do. It's doesn't have to be impossible to run a 256-man bracket updating entirely inside the game, with games played on LAN by players across the room from each other, and a machine hosting some kind of spectator server. Traditional PC games have such a huge leg up on tournament logistics and coverage because of stuff like that, an SC2 or LoL streamer can stream a game played on the other side of the world and commentate on a skype call with practically 0 gear, while sp00ky has to run around the country with capture cards and mixers.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

wixard posted:

I thought it was really interesting in an interview Gamerbee said the biggest changes he'd like to see in SF is a change to PC for tournaments and a set of features that lets the community play like the FPS players do, or even like Japanese arcades do. It's doesn't have to be impossible to run a 256-man bracket updating entirely inside the game, with games played on LAN by players across the room from each other, and a machine hosting some kind of spectator server. Traditional PC games have such a huge leg up on tournament logistics and coverage because of stuff like that, an SC2 or LoL streamer can stream a game played on the other side of the world and commentate on a skype call with practically 0 gear, while sp00ky has to run around the country with capture cards and mixers.

If we're playing for cash money I wanna see that you don't have combo macros.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Fighting games will always have the logistical issue of having to be local to each other for serious competition, so you still have a level of control. It's not like FPS's didn't have the same potential issues in huge LAN parties early on. Maybe sponsors like EG provide 2-3 setups where their players play matches from, surround it with swag and some monitors for people to watch without crowding the players. Maybe other companies who don't actively sponsor players do the same, provide public tournament machines under a little tent with their logo on it or whatever. TOs get access to all the setups, etc. Consoles are ultimately cheaper to buy, but PCs are easier to come by with almost any kind of corporate sponsor.

I'm not saying Capcom has any impetus to actually do it, but I thought it was interesting to think about. With a major fighting game event it wouldn't solve anything anyway, because there are 5 other tournaments that need the consoles.

e: But if it was already there, maybe SF tournaments happen at more big money PC gaming events since the infrastructure is already there.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 17, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

"Don't forget, guys, if you purchase an MSI GTX 780 during this major, you can give the code 'SummerJam2014' for a 15% discount."

There is nothing I don't like about this sentence.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

khorma posted:

You can't do the F2P dota/lol/tf2 thing to sf4 because it sucks to play online REALLY BADLY (better netcode can fix slightly, but it is still way worse than playing an FPS or MOBA online). As an outsider you don't realize this. I was in your shoes too...

All good players and all players truly seeking fun want to play offline.

The reason for this is that most fighting game developers have treated online as an afterthought. Playing a person from the east cost at 120-150 ping in Skullgirls usually feels better than playing a Swede at 20-40 ping in SF4 for me.

Creating an online community requires design and investment which no fighting game developer currently is willing or able to put in.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 17, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I don't think there's gonna be any chance FGC gets significant money in tournaments, but there might be room for guys to make good money on twitch and youtube. There are guys on twitch who make significant money from subs and donations - like, six figures. Can someone like JWong or Yipes pull that? A few problems:

1) They'd have to play stuff besides fighting games all the time because it might get stale
2) They'd have to be creative besides just playing online or local sets.
3) The built-in audience for fighting games might not be as willing to part with money like the twitch community at large
4) You have to stream full time. Like 4-5 hour streams at least 3 times a week.
5) Streaming could definitely take away from time improving or practicing.
6) All this poo poo could just up and go away in a couple of years anyway

The thing is I'm sure there are people who've seen the money on Twitch and thought about doing something like this but maybe they haven't done it for a reason. All I know is there's a bunch of people on twitch making money for playing all kinds of games but not fighting games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think you're severely underestimating how much a twitch audience will tolerate just watching JWong be an online warrior.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

_jink posted:

I'm saying if you hacksawed the gameplay out of USF4 and dropped it into the framework valve has built around dota it would be just as big!
I think dota and SC are the exceptions in a sea of competitive games. There are probably game communities out there, that wish they had tournaments, resources and a presence like the FGC and their games might be f2p, or are only on one platform and the playerbase isn't split up.

I believe the biggest leap in popularity won't be made by changing the price, or more streams, but with a game that communicates itself better to new players.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I missed a lot of matches - what happened to PR Rog in Evo SF4? He stick with E Ryu or bring out the Balrog at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Doggboat posted:

I think dota and SC are the exceptions in a sea of competitive games. There are probably game communities out there, that wish they had tournaments, resources and a presence like the FGC and their games might be f2p, or are only on one platform and the playerbase isn't split up.

I believe the biggest leap in popularity won't be made by changing the price, or more streams, but with a game that communicates itself better to new players.

Dota, LoL and SC are arcane as gently caress though. While being newbie friendly helps, It doesn't seem to be required for a large player base.