Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But regular DF has autosave as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
New issue sprung up: Now I'm getting zombie invasions right off the bat, no matter what. This is my third fort in a row where I've gotten zombie spawns right away (like, before I'm finished digging out my initial hovel), and I'm not even in an "evil" biome. I'm guessing "siege" status prevents migrants from spawning, because two years have gone by and I'm still stuck with the same seven dwarfs. One elven caravan came through, which was promptly ripped apart by the zombies. Fortunately, the caravan horse was slaughtered close enough that I could pillage it, but the zombies are still shambling around on the outskirts.

Meanwhile my animals continue to not have babies, so all I can do is rely on my farmers, and my fisher dwarf, who gets precariously close to one of the shambling zombies, which has made its way to the stream.

Is it normal to get massive sieges first-thing, on a normal biome?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Does it happen in multiple regions?

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Does it happen in multiple regions?

Well, first off, when I generated the map I chose low-hostility. The first time I encountered an undead invasion, it came a couple years in. I "succumbed to the invasion" to restart in a totally different spot of the map- across an ocean and a mountain range- and got hit with another siege right away. Odd, I thought.. so I "succumbed" to that invasion as well. I started this one in yet another region at the other end of the map. Being triple sure to make sure it was not Evil or Terrifying or anything.. and it happened again right away. This time I'm sticking it out a bit longer just to see what happens, since at least this time they are staying on the furthest edge.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone else having trouble finding necromancers in your worldgens? I get tons of demons rising in spires, but haven't seen a single necro yet.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

But regular DF has autosave as well.

Guess it's time for babby's first raw edit!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

:iit:

what font did you use for :iit:, FutonForensic? Small Fonts isn't quite it.

Just used the plain Sans font in GIMP. Seemed close enough to :iiam:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I just got my first siege at a middling population of 25. Did I just get unlucky or is the threshold much, much lower than it was in 0.34?

I survived by bricking over the front door of my fort until they left. :iit:

e: UGGGH WTF I JUST GOT A FORGOTTEN BEAST WITH ONLY LIKE 30 DWARVES

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 17, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Anyone else having trouble finding necromancers in your worldgens? I get tons of demons rising in spires, but haven't seen a single necro yet.

I'm having trouble finding anything but necromancers, there are literally thousands of them in this world.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
OK the forgotten beast left after destroying my livestock, phew :iit:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Mr. Glass posted:

I just got my first siege at a middling population of 25. Did I just get unlucky or is the threshold much, much lower than it was in 0.34?

Year 1 I had a "siege" of 10 dwarves who broke and ran as soon as my Militia captain (2 melee, 2 archers) smacked one with a hammer. Then their captain got stuck in a tree while trying to retreat.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

A shame the book isn't bound in alpaca leather.

Annihilation for Dummies!

It sure does.

Who has time for old-fashioned Oblivion these days?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr. Glass posted:

Forgotten beasts don't attack based on population or wealth. As soon as you breach a cavern layer there's a chance that forgotten beasts will start to show up. I believe the chance for them to arrive is the same across all 3 cavern layers at well, so its not like the first one is any safer than the others.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So I died in adventure mode after walking into a fortress, hacking a crossbowman's arm off in one blow as soon as I walked in, then he managed to fire a bold directly into my brain with his other arm, killing me instantly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously he was the real adventurer and you were the NPC.

Dwarf Fortress: A game about NPC character who are infinitely more badass than your character will ever be.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Dwarf Fortress: A game about NPC character who are infinitely more badass than your character will ever be.

"You first, coward."

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Adventure mode I started out in a bandit camp as a bandit, killed the warlord and then my name changed to "warlord". That's it. I'm the boss now.

Then I came across a troll wrestler, who was being waylaid by a gang of humans and goblins. I fought them, punching their heads off, and the troll came up and helped me. :3: Maybe it's just because of the aggression bug but trolls are super cute now, I imagine them like scared Maurice Sendak monsters.

I also met a cyclops in his cave and he said hello to me. I tried to get him to yield but he just kept greeting me by my first name. He was the chillest cyclops ever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've always pictured trolls in Dwarf Fortress as being really smart despite their monstrous appearance. This is because they would show up during sieges with weird professions like architect and surgeon. They're ugly ape things but still smart enough to do really advanced jobs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:iit:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

So I died in adventure mode after walking into a fortress, hacking a crossbowman's arm off in one blow as soon as I walked in, then he managed to fire a bold directly into my brain with his other arm, killing me instantly.

If you'd only crippled his arm rather than hacking it off entirely your adventurer would probably still be alive now.

Dwarf Fortress.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Before this reaches :iamafag: levels, let's get this out of the thread's system:
:iit::iit::iit:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Uhhh *loosens collar*

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Just pretend everyone hurries to get through the day's work. It's the only way.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Pay no attention to the abundance of cotton plants...

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Prism posted:

Just pretend everyone hurries to get through the day's work. It's the only way.

Mine cart tracks. It's named after those.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

dragon_pamcake posted:

Mine cart tracks. It's named after those.
Wooden ones, built by carpenters?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well I finally sorted my issues with the dwarf population ignoring items, but when I went to move some of my trainees pets to pasture I realized that the activity zone screen doesn't seem to be counting the squares in new zone, nor recognize older ones.

Man, what in the hell. I had such hopes for the founders of HairyCaves

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Maybe I should make this secret actually give immortality.

Every book about it is written by someone who was a necromancer first because no one else lives long enough to write anything.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Annoying feature I've noticed is that if you set a repeating order to process pigtails, it gets cancelled if it ever tries to execute while some guy is using the storage barrel to gather a plant.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just had a caravan move at fastdwarf speeds. Just one. Entered map, 3 seconds later it's halfway across the map at my depot. The other 2 are moving at normal speed. Also, no liaison. And apparently my civ has no significant leaders, that means I'm basically screwed right?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Has there been a Phoebus tileset released for 40.03? I'm getting pretty tired of losing every fortress to a crash during the first 30 minutes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Has there been a Phoebus tileset released for 40.03? I'm getting pretty tired of losing every fortress to a crash during the first 30 minutes.

I don't understand how those two things are connected.

But yes.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I lost an entire year's progress to a crash today. I am well aware it is my own stupid fault, but I'm switching back to Masterwork for now. Autosave spoils me.

On a more hilarious note. I had to abandon and reclaim a fort because a ghost decided to manifest in the dining room and everyone was too busy panicking to engrave a stupid slab to get rid of it. Your dorfs won't bury dwarven invaders and they still rise as ghosts.

Also pet training doesn't work half the time.

This is why I don't make the meeting hall the crossroads of the fort and make extensive use of doors as vision blockers so I can get dwarves moved where I need them during an emergency.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Met posted:

I don't understand how those two things are connected.

But yes.

Thank you -- I'm not sure that they're connected, but I was running an earlier version (0.40.01) that was linked in this thread about 15~20 pages back, which had a Phoebus tileset worked into the build already. When I downloaded the latest version just now, it wouldn't recognize the Phoebus tileset from the earlier build.

I'm hoping that the updated version will suffer from (slightly) fewer game-ending crashes.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
So, looking through Toady's posts in the Dwarf Fortress Forums I found this gem:

Bay 12 poster Greiger posted:

In adventure mode your own character can cry. But we do not notice unless we closely examine our inventories, and it does not stop them from doing horrible things.

It is confirmed, we are uncaring gods/goddesses taking complete control over some poor sap. They see everything we make them do, they feel everything. They watch under no control as we mercilessly butcher their neighbors and friends. They cannot scream, all they can do is silently weep as the puppetmaster makes their arm swing the sword.
Well, that seems like overly dramatic speculation, surely it's just a bug...

Toady One posted:

Greiger's is actually correct... sadly enough. The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control... they can only cry.
:stonk:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Penultimatum posted:

So, looking through Toady's posts in the Dwarf Fortress Forums I found this gem:

:iit: is astonishingly appropriate here.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

You know, "geese laying iron thrones!" has been one of the most hilarious bugs I've ever seen... but personally, I feel "random personality trapped in every adventurer, capable of no actions except to cry" is really the best. Holy poo poo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jesus christ. :iit:

Toady One posted:

More crashes fixed since I last checked in -- the main one was a problem with jump pathing that occasionally caused some unhealth to the game. There were also issues with items on the ground. Mostly inconsequential, but rarely they could cause crashes. Another issue could cause vermin to appear off the map, again causing trouble. There still appear to be some crashes to check out, but hopefully we can transition over to other kinds of problems before too long!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Penultimatum posted:

Well, that seems like overly dramatic speculation, surely it's just a bug...

:stonk:

i think there was an anime about this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what has toady done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

When the rush flowers are in bloom they don't gently caress about.

edit: I have a mystery item in my food storage. It has no name at all, and appears in lists as blank space. Inspecting it tells me that "This is a ."

Mu. fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 17, 2014