Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Seriously, if you can afford it: even a dollar helps. You may not think so, but it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Well, I've been guilted into handing over a few bucks a month, split between the webcomic artists I actually do look forward to reading and can find on Patreon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm getting a hundred bucks a month from Patreon for two months now (minus their fees) and every single dollar helps, I can tell you. Even better than the money is the notion that someone cares enough to support you. Real mood-pleaser.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can also just, like, throw them whatever you think their comic's entertainment value was worth for you for a month and cancel. Just use it for a one-time donation.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Echoing the love for Patreon, it's invaluable to a freelancer to have a bit of regular and predictable money coming in, makes the month's budget much easier to balance!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
Patreon rules and without it I would be an even more hollow shell of a person than I already am. A ridiculously good idea for a site and I'm actually making a living off what I like to do which seemed really crazy and impossible for a long, long time.

Also I wanna throw some love for some recently revived webcomics in here: Evil You Know and The Weave. Evil You Know is already getting into the weirdness while The Weave only just started back up but looks gorgeous and is going somewhere neat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats on the anniversary of your comic there!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wolfe continues to be the best character in Widdershins (also the best character anywhere.) Poor Voss looks so deflated :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, gently caress the money, just knowing someone cared enough about my comic to pledge any amount would be a huge morale boost. The worst feeling (for me, at least) is that you're putting a lot of effort and time into something only for no one to see it or care about it.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Phylodox posted:

Man, gently caress the money, just knowing someone cared enough about my comic to pledge any amount would be a huge morale boost. The worst feeling (for me, at least) is that you're putting a lot of effort and time into something only for no one to see it or care about it.

Agreed.

I feel I don't produce enough material to justify starting a Patreon or other similar money-tree. I also have only got about 5-10 readers, and out of those, who would pay me money, I don't really know. I'm considering putting a donate button somewhere so that if one of them does want to throw some money to me, they can, without me feeling weird guilt about a Patreon.

(I'm sure if I increased my production that my readership would increase somewhat as well, but apparently I'm motivationally diseased)

Also, even just a dollar would cover like 3/4 of just one new marker. Them things run out, and just having a few bucks to get some new ones (or ink, or nibs, or paper) makes a big difference.

Because I'm starting to talk like this is the "making webcomics" thread, I'll get back on topic and throw out a plug for an artist I admire- Emily Weber, who finished her previous comic May the Rain Come, has started a new comic, Jupiter. May the Rain Come was a beautiful and touching comic, and even at the beginning where the art was a little unsteady, it was still rich in color and emotional punch. I have high expectations for Jupiter.
She also is incredible at maintaining a daily update schedule.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Kismet posted:

I've also been keeping a list of webcomic Patreons organised by title, which you might find useful. Glad as I am that Patreon have introduced browseable categories, the comics section is still pretty huge and...uh...variable.

Haha, I forgot about that list. I think I sent you a message asking to be added to it a couple months ago, but now that I'm looking at it I'm wondering if I actually sent you a message asking to add mine, of if I only thought about doing it and never actually followed through.

But yeah, Patreon is really nice. This month it is buying me a good microphone and a pop filter for podcasting, and in the coming months it'll probably financing some bonus content that'll serve the dual purpose of padding my digital downloads store with more stuff. I think that Patreon can be a really effective means of putting money right back into your comic if you're using it in a way that optimizes that.

Back to reading comics: every new page of Nimona has me biting my nails--it seems like it's going to be over really soon, and I'm not sure what kind of ending to expect and it's making me super anxious. I know the ending will be good, but that doesn't inherently mean it's going to make me happy. D:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think that the month-by-month stability of Patreon is helpful for keeping my budget, and was definitely less intimidating than setting up a Kickstarter, with far less risk. It's never really clear how successful any Kickstarter will be (or how that will be distributed). Sort of reminds me of a salary vs. bonuses, where the latter could end up being Christmas Vacation's Jelly of the Month Club :shrug:.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

raaaan posted:

Haha, I forgot about that list. I think I sent you a message asking to be added to it a couple months ago, but now that I'm looking at it I'm wondering if I actually sent you a message asking to add mine, of if I only thought about doing it and never actually followed through.

You're on there now! I don't think I did get a message from you, but then between this list and the creator blogs one I tend to get a lot of PMs so it might have got lost in my inbox at some point. If that's the case, sorry!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I haven't been doing patrea because I tend to spend 'a lot' of money at shows like spx, and I figure that's, by and large, just as good.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
You don't need to make an excuse for not using it, it's okay! I'm pretty sure we all get that it's not a thing everyone will be into. Any way you choose to support artists is appreciated, I'm sure.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Personally I love being able to support people on Patreon, but I have very little actual money to do it with -- so what I do is set a monthly budget for myself and adjust what proportion of that I'm giving to various people according to what they're putting out and how much they're making from other donors. If I start giving to someone new, everyone else gets just a little less. If someone goes on hiatus or skips a month, everyone else gets a little more.

I do also think there is an effect where the more people are supporting somebody, the more people are inclined to join in (kind of like buskers lining their tin with coins to encourage donations), so yeah, another reason that just chipping in $1/month can be surprisingly helpful.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Kismet posted:

I've also been keeping a list of webcomic Patreons organised by title, which you might find useful. Glad as I am that Patreon have introduced browseable categories, the comics section is still pretty huge and...uh...variable.

Cool!! As soon as I become a productive member of society (with a reliable credit card to prove it) I'll be getting all over this list. You should probs. add Lamezone/Partydog/Cate Wurtz to the list too.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Done! I totally missed that she was on Patreon somehow, that's awesome.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Also, you can design some gods and goddesses for K6BD. If you're enough of a scrub to be bossed around by a bunch of birds, that is.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
I haven't kept up with the comic for awhile (largely because I'm not sure what's happening in it anymore), but Supernormal Step's creator Michael Lunsford is also on Patreon.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
What's the deal with Octopus Pie right now? It seems really overwritten and unnatural for some reason.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wolfe continues to be the best character in Widdershins (also the best character anywhere.) Poor Voss looks so deflated :(

Today's is great too. At first I thought Voss was jealous that Envy was calling someone else important, but now I see he's just surprised. They've known each other long enough that they don't have any illusions about their relationship, I guess.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Today's Poppy update with the shocking revelation that Lily is adopted

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Fetterkey posted:

What's the deal with Octopus Pie right now? It seems really overwritten and unnatural for some reason.

It's definitely a tonal shift- we are just getting into the meat of it now, I think, so i't hard to tell what she's going for. It might be a wind up for some terrible sucker punch, which I think is likely. Or they could sleep together. Probably both!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RickoniX posted:

Wait wasn't this on the April fools list?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Fetterkey posted:

It's overwritten and unnatural because Will and Eve are nervous together and are both trying to articulate to each other the emotional arcs we've seen firsthand over the past ~500 pages. It feels a lot like the comic's coming to an end, although I haven't heard Gran say anything about that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, taking odds on how long it takes before Petunia gets turned into a fish in Poppy O'Possom :haw:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 17, 2014

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

snucks posted:

It's overwritten and unnatural because Will and Eve are nervous together and are both trying to articulate to each other the emotional arcs we've seen firsthand over the past ~500 pages. It feels a lot like the comic's coming to an end, although I haven't heard Gran say anything about that.

Gran's mentioned wanting to take the comic into color starting possibly with the next arc, so I think the comic isn't ending, but it's probably moving into a new act.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wait wasn't this on the April fools list?
Yes it was.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Parts Kit posted:

Yes it was.

So at this point either everything or everything but one thing is going to come true I guess?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

RickoniX posted:

I don't see it. Is that "Lala is as much my child as that cute little girl there must be yours" line (with Lily making the Best Pose) supposed to indicate that, because I thought it just meant to highlight and explain part of how Poppy's world works and that a wolf really can be the daughter of a ram under whatever circumstances.

There's something obvious I'm missing, isn't there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't see it. Is that "Lala is as much my child as that cute little girl there must be yours" line (with Lily making the Best Pose) supposed to indicate that, because I thought it just meant to highlight and explain part of how Poppy's world works and that a wolf really can be the daughter of a ram under whatever circumstances.

It's the joke. The post was a joke. The joke is what you're missing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It might also shed some light on why Poppy's family photos a couple of chapters back showed her surrounded by cats rather than possums.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It might also shed some light on why Poppy's family photos a couple of chapters back showed her surrounded by cats rather than possums.
Poppy's adopted by them, I think. There was an alt-text joke that the Cat-family's name was "O'Possum", but I don't know how much of the implied concept behind it was a joke.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
The cat bakers are probably the Trench family she stayed with as a refugee child or something along those lines.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...didn't Kevin and Kell have exactly this thing happen years ago?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I think it's more the "...not that I'm doubting you, but act- " bit of it which implies that Lily is adopted.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

raaaan posted:

Back to reading comics: every new page of Nimona has me biting my nails--it seems like it's going to be over really soon, and I'm not sure what kind of ending to expect and it's making me super anxious. I know the ending will be good, but that doesn't inherently mean it's going to make me happy. D:

Dunno if you saw this in the comment section or not: https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/489491604009668611

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Oxxidation posted:

It's the joke. The post was a joke. The joke is what you're missing.
It'd be pretty funny if it was legit though since then two of the April Fool's things would have been true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

Dunno if you saw this in the comment section or not: https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/489491604009668611

That's okay because clearly she maintains like a three year buffer right right right?

• Locked thread