Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

From the sounds of it, Falconne and Mifki are working together to make sure that Falconne's MouseQuery stuff works seamlessly with TWBT. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Penultimatum posted:

So, looking through Toady's posts in the Dwarf Fortress Forums I found this gem:

Well, that seems like overly dramatic speculation, surely it's just a bug...

:stonk:

A bit further down the thread someone said there should be an acoustic version of Metallica's One playing in DF and I remembered a bluegrass band that made a bunch of bluegrass versions of Metallica's songs and holy poo poo these work so well.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Eiba posted:

"random personality trapped in every adventurer, capable of no actions except to cry"

:iit:

New necks are weird and break my immersion in adventurer mode whenever I sever someone's neck and it goes flying away in an arc. Has anyone gone fiddling with the body definition raws to make it make a little more sense? I've played with creature definitions but the body ones always confused me.

scamtank I know you have probably done this by now

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Boing posted:

New necks are weird and break my immersion in adventurer mode whenever I sever someone's neck and it goes flying away in an arc. Has anyone gone fiddling with the body definition raws to make it make a little more sense? I've played with creature definitions but the body ones always confused me.

It's called a "neck" but there's actually a head attached to it. It's just named that way due to how the game sees body parts. If you butcher it, you will get a skull.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Yah necks are really weird. I have punched someone's neck and throat into lumps of gore with no apparent ill effects other than some pain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

No more than there is for upper legs or lower bodies flying off in an arc. You can tweak the semantics to make more sense, like changing the
and the severed part sails off in an arc!
into
, cleaving it in two!
or something, but not much else.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Boing posted:

:iit:

New necks are weird and break my immersion in adventurer mode whenever I sever someone's neck and it goes flying away in an arc.
The head goes with it so basically you're just decapitating someone. The bit that goes flying is called Urist's neck but it actually is the neck and the head. It takes that name because that's the bit that you severed, like if you sever someone's upper arm it says it's their upper arm even though the lower arm and the hand are there too.

Now, why I can pulp someone's neck and have it explode into gore and them not actually die, I don't know.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The nervous system bits on the spine might be broken. Pulping a guy's neck necessarily destroys the upper spine, too, but that's traditionally been enough to stop breathing and paralyze the limbs.

Speaking of pulping, the descriptions are a maybe a bit too dramatic for my taste.

|the part|the part|
|is smashed into the body, an |is smashed into the body, an |
|unrecognizable mass!|unrecognizable mass!|
|splits in gore!|splits in gore!|
|collapses!|collapses!|
|the injured part|the injured part|
|is ripped into loose shreds!|is ripped into loose shreds!|
|is torn apart!|is torn apart!|
|and it is mostly cut away from the rest |and it is mostly cut away from the rest |
|of the torso!|of the torso!|
|is cloven asunder!|is cloven asunder!|
|explodes into gore!|explodes into gore!|
|collapses into a lump of gore!|collapses into a lump of gore!|
|is crushed!|is crushed!|

For something that's just brutalized by repeated punching, "explodes into gore" is a little much.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

Now, why I can pulp someone's neck and have it explode into gore and them not actually die, I don't know.

This is what's bothering me I guess. Maybe adding the [MAJOR_ARTERY] tag or whatever the heart has would make pulping the neck cause very quick death from bloodloss?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eiba posted:

You know, "geese laying iron thrones!" has been one of the most hilarious bugs I've ever seen... but personally, I feel "random personality trapped in every adventurer, capable of no actions except to cry" is really the best. Holy poo poo.

There are way too many hilarious bugs in Dwarf Fortress for me to ever pick a favorite.

Anyone else remember when Toady added giant versions of insects and forgot to adjust the population numbers, leading to swarms of hundreds of mosquitos flooding the map?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Christ, yes, I remember that. I think I recall the same thing happening with bug people as well, resulting in maps with hundreds of mosquito men and mosquito women wootling around in the sky, hungrily watching the nervous dwarves below. :iit:

Remember when temperature damage became a thing, and entire forts started bleeding to death in winter because everyone's feet would freeze off and they'd hobble around on bloody stumps until the entire map was awash in gore and corpses? And at one point Toady goofed on the maximum heat variables and summer would hit and everyone would catch fire and turn into a cloud of boiling dwarf fat.

my dad posted:

It's called a "neck" but there's actually a head attached to it. It's just named that way due to how the game sees body parts. If you butcher it, you will get a skull.

This confused me horribly when a necromancer attacked my fort and one of my miners was fighting an undead goose neck. It was only when I checked the combat logs and saw the neck repeatedly pecking the miner that I realized, oh, it's the neck and everything attached to it. Still made me laugh, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

This all reminds me: back when I was cursing that the <50,000 flexibility materials always showed as "broken" or "smashed" in the descriptions and health screens no matter how fleshy they were, I didn't have access to the patcher.

Now I could possibly reconcile the two with vague enough words like "ruptured" and "wounded" and still have the internal organs and muscles split into a bleeding mess from hard enough blunt hits. If the strain at yield stays near the upper limit, it still comes across as "tearing" in the logs and combat reports.

Default impact yield and really high impact fracture on skin, muscle (or fat) plus some of the more fragile organs and that'd be it, I think. Proper internal damage. And cuts in the face caused by brawls.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I tried adding the [CIRCULATORY] tag to necks and throats but it hasn't worked like I wanted it to. My test human bashed another test human's neck and throat into gore with a mace but it isn't spouting blood or even seriously inconveniencing the victim. The neck and throat are red in the victim's list of body parts, but their physical description just says "His throat is bruised". His upper spine is also broken but he's still walking around and grabbing me fine.

My immersion :negative:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Dwarf Fortress brings out the sociopathic murderer in everyone.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nutranurse posted:

Dwarf Fortress brings out the sociopathic murderer in everyone.
You know the minute Toady adds capturing people and healing skills in adventure mode, people will just go to the nearest kobolds camp, capture everyone and spend their time stabbing then healing them endlessly just for skill.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

You know the minute Toady adds capturing people and healing skills in adventure mode, people will just go to the nearest kobolds camp, capture everyone and spend their time stabbing then healing them endlessly just for skill.

Reminds me of carving up a dude with an one hander and using the healing hands spell in skyrim to level up both skills at once.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Toplowtech posted:

The moment Toady adds in any kind of mechanic where you can have ownership over other sentient creatures the DF mod forums are gonna get real ugly real fast.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

nutranurse posted:

The moment Toady adds in any kind of mechanic where you can have ownership over other sentient creatures the DF mod forums are gonna get real ugly real fast.

I can't wait until goons start posting mods from LoversASCII.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

nutranurse posted:

"I just don't understand why dark-skinned dwarves aren't naturally more likely to be owned by other dwarves, and furthermore-:commissar:"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Does anyone remember how masterwork had pet concubines a while ago that would produce babies for you and that you could butcher as well?
Yeah well imagine stuff like that but with an actual slavery mechanic. :iit:
^ wait are there black skinned dwarves?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

"Brown" is dark enough for these people.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Is it possible to add songs for the game to play or would that just involve renaming the standard ogg's ?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Judging from what I'm looking at, the game only knows how to look for those two specific filenames. Soundsense fills in that gap.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu. posted:

edit: I have a mystery item in my food storage. It has no name at all, and appears in lists as blank space. Inspecting it tells me that "This is a ."

That happens occasionally. I once had a caravan show up with a "large." It wasn't a large anything, just a plain "large."

I bought it and put it in its own stockpile surrounded by silver statues. It was the best large I'd ever seen.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Are magma pipes still a thing? It would be nice to get a useful source of magma without having to embark on a volcano.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Are magma pipes still a thing? It would be nice to get a useful source of magma without having to embark on a volcano.

Yes sometimes you can even find them in the first cavern!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

They don't reach surface anymore and are rather rare, but they certainly and verifiably exist.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

scamtank posted:

Judging from what I'm looking at, the game only knows how to look for those two specific filenames. Soundsense fills in that gap.

Guess i'll just have the diablo soundtrack running in youtube or something then hehe.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Humans Among Us posted:

Guess i'll just have the diablo soundtrack running in youtube or something then hehe.

Setup Pandora with a channel seeded by "Ambient music".

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That happens occasionally. I once had a caravan show up with a "large." It wasn't a large anything, just a plain "large."

I bought it and put it in its own stockpile surrounded by silver statues. It was the best large I'd ever seen.

:911:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nutranurse posted:

Are they still going insane over sexual orientation and the possible presence of homophobic civilizations in the game?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nutranurse posted:

Followed by the Gor mods. Unless that's what you meant.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Okay! I made my first real attempt earlier and I'm now hooked.

I'm going to restart with the Lazy Newb Pack now that there's an updated version, though.

Other than turning Aquifers off, what options/utilities are good to use for the Lazy Newb Pack (as a Lazy Newb)? Soundsense is good, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always turn off the economy as I have no idea how it works and it sounds lame.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Are they still going insane over sexual orientation and the possible presence of homophobic civilizations in the game?

Did they, really? Wasn't that just us taking the piss out of Bay12 without even looking?

OwlFancier posted:

I always turn off the economy as I have no idea how it works and it sounds lame.

Don't worry, the last time that option did anything was in 2008.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scamtank posted:

Did they, really? Wasn't that just us taking the piss out of Bay12 without even looking?

Don't worry, the last time that option did anything was in 2008.

I did wonder if it had been removed or something as the newer masterwork doesn't seem to include it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
From what I recall of the economy it made your nobles go absolutely crazy with their requests and mandates. Then your justice system started working overtime to hammer dwarves to death for the crime of pissing off the nobles. Also rents were implemented and immediately skyrocketed until your best workers could no longer afford to sleep in even a humble bedroom.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Azhais posted:

Followed by the Gor mods. Unless that's what you meant.

Man, that's apparently light stuff compared to what some of the forum users have done in the past.

Turns out my joke about modding and seedy websites was spot on. One of the only threads to get locked for being too horrible apparently was closed and deleted because someone modded in genitalia so they could simulate raping people in adventurer mode. :stonk:

What the gently caress is wrong with the people on that forum. :stare:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Archonex posted:

Man, that's apparently light stuff compared to what some of the forum users have done in the past.

Turns out my joke about modding and seedy websites was spot on. One of the only threads to get locked for being too horrible apparently was closed and deleted because someone modded in genitalia so they could simulate raping people in adventurer mode. :stonk:

What the gently caress is wrong with the people on that forum. :stare:

Ah yes, the 'Meatgod Incident'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

moller posted:

From what I recall of the economy it made your nobles go absolutely crazy with their requests and mandates. Then your justice system started working overtime to hammer dwarves to death for the crime of pissing off the nobles. Also rents were implemented and immediately skyrocketed until your best workers could no longer afford to sleep in even a humble bedroom.

Also everyone would starve to death in the time it took them to go get coins and come back and buy food