Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

can we talk about drama/romance animes for a minute? how the heck can you make a 26 episode show and the main love interests dont even kiss?!?! im pretty heated right now. gently caress you japan

Sometimes, it's more important to communicate with your words and feelings.

I know they're usually not straight up romances, but no characters in any Clamp series ever kiss, but it doesn't stop them from making my heart go all aflutter. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I generally drop any anime with a kiss scene.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My favorite anime kiss is between me and my husbando

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The one from the end of Eureka Seven is pretty great. They kiss while gliding down to a reborn Earth.

Then their kid turns into rocks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I do not remember the children turning into r- oh right, AO

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Rail Wars is a show about a weird nerd who just wants to fiddle with train engines but keeps having girls fall for him/getting involved in bomb scares/being a weird nerd instead.

It's also really bad don't watch it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The one from the end of Eureka Seven is pretty great. They kiss while gliding down to a reborn Earth.

Then their kid turns into rocks.

Dominic and Anemone's is better.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Dominic and Anemone's is better.

true

man Eureka Seven is so good.

Someone spoil Ao for me, I figured it'd be bad from the start and apparently it was even worse than I expected.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not even coherent enough to spoil it for you. a kid named ao lives in an alternate history earth where scub coral has been appearing since the 60's or something, but he was actually sent from an alternate dimension by eureka's new nirvash (which doesn't make sense to be called that since Nirvash pulled an "i must return to my home planet") accidentally and is the only surviving child that didn't turn into rocks. the coral leaving earth was actually really bad for some reason and the original e7 timeline is all hosed and renton and eureka are trying to fix it by ???. Adult REnton is voiced by holland, there are a ton of cameos that make no sense and just basically tease fans of the original with a shiteating :^) face, and there's a retcon gun made for super robot wars

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's not all 100% accurate but it's all i can remember and i'm still confused and angered by it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
By the way, in the Eureka 7 movie, Hap, Stoner, and Matthieu, I think it was, all try to rape Eureka but then in a really bloody show, Nirvash smears them against a wall after an uncomfortable amount of time depicting an attempted sexual assault MOKYUUN

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I seem to remember lots of people recommending Eureka 7.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The original is really really good but the movie and AO lacked the original writer and other key members that made it good and not total garbage.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Hmm alright then, good to know.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

zachol posted:

I seem to remember lots of people recommending Eureka 7.

That's because Eureka Seven is really good.

muike posted:

By the way, in the Eureka 7 movie, Hap, Stoner, and Matthieu, I think it was, all try to rape Eureka but then in a really bloody show, Nirvash smears them against a wall after an uncomfortable amount of time depicting an attempted sexual assault MOKYUUN

that's less good. stoner was super cool in e7 why would you do that?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It was basically fanfiction.net put to film, except it was digital animation but you get the idea.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Eureka Seven is I think basically my favorite anime and it is outright hilarious how bad all the tie-in stuff has been. It really reinforces just how important and great Dai Sato is. Also how easy it is to ignore all the spin-offs; didn't Ao essentially retcon itself out of existence and render itself moot? And also just not make any sense given the original? Works for me!!

muike posted:

It was basically fanfiction.net put to film, except it was digital animation but you get the idea.

The weird thing is, I think the director had a specific direction he was aiming for with the film with the whole "you can't recreate a story that was already told!" theme, it's just that making an adaptation movie that reuses footage from the original makes that theme look stupid as hell. Also it just wasn't very good. It had the same director as the TV show but they for some reason let him do the script also which is daft?

Said movie also had the female lead be basically lobotomized at the end because that's how you end the movie version of optimistic robot happy anime I guess!!!

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

glomkettle posted:

Rail Wars is a show about a weird nerd who just wants to fiddle with train engines but keeps having girls fall for him/getting involved in bomb scares/being a weird nerd instead.

It's also really bad don't watch it.

These two lines are contradicting each other.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zorak posted:

Eureka Seven is I think basically my favorite anime and it is outright hilarious how bad all the tie-in stuff has been. It really reinforces just how important and great Dai Sato is. Also how easy it is to ignore all the spin-offs; didn't Ao essentially retcon itself out of existence and render itself moot? And also just not make any sense given the original? Works for me!!

Yes, at the end Ao uses the continuity-cannon and wipes out the main cause for the series so then the world reverts to one where scub coral never happened.

AO is trash and nobody should watch it, the only good things about it are the main mecha's design and the soundtrack which is amazing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Joshlemagne posted:

I know right? But maybe the second season of Free will redeem itself.

free already made some buttfucking double entendres, that's already more courage than most of kyoani's schtick

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

free already made some buttfucking double entendres, that's already more courage than most of kyoani's schtick

were they swimming related? like did the blue haired guy say to the little blonde that he wanted to dive in hard and come out wet or was he like i will show you my butterfly if you show me your breast stroke? did the shark guy make a reference to coming up under one person and taking a bite out of them? i havent had time to watch the second season yet.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

were they swimming related? like did the blue haired guy say to the little blonde that he wanted to dive in hard and come out wet or was he like i will show you my butterfly if you show me your breast stroke? did the shark guy make a reference to coming up under one person and taking a bite out of them? i havent had time to watch the second season yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So the first season of Prisma Illya was pretty cool because it had some amazing fights and some really good animation, but was constantly interrupted by really stupid sol and fanservice bits. Season 2 seems to be more of the same with a new character thrown in.

Also that school doctor is the best school doctor.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

So the first season of Prisma Illya was pretty cool because it had some amazing fights and some really good animation, but was constantly interrupted by really stupid sol and fanservice bits. Season 2 seems to be more of the same with a new character thrown in.

Also that school doctor is the best school doctor.

please make the thread viggynash

:nws: http://a.pomf.se/omivst.webm :nws:

i will def be picking this show up!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I watched Majimoji Rurumo without having heard or seen anything about it. It's not too bad.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

The Devil Tesla posted:

The only recent anime I can think of where the love interests kiss is No. 6 and that was the only good thing about that show.

The leads in Say I Love You kiss in the first episode, but that's a lovely adaptation of a good manga so go read that. Also in that manga the leads have sex so it's not your typical shoujo stuff.

Uh, anime with actual kissing.

Monogatari
Kokoro Connect
Shin Sekai Yori (also has same-sex kissing)
Natsyuki Rendezvous
Golden Time
Uhh... Oreshura? It's even a Jojo reference. And I just admitted I watched Oreshura
Also Blue Spring Ride should have one eventually

vvv I mean, that's the point of the show. I figured we were leaving stuff like that out.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 17, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Just leaving this here: Sakura Trick.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i just finished katanagatari and you might enjoy it too, it had that and hand-holding and also cuddling

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
White Album 2 (it's an awesome show and everybody should watch it), Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta and Tokyo Ravens also comes to mind.

ViggyNash posted:

Season 2 seems to be more of the same with a new character thrown in.
And that new character brings even more creepy fanservice. That kiss scene linked above? That's not even the "best" material, according to manga readers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i make sure to watch the underage girl fighting animes for the fight scenes

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

These two lines are contradicting each other.

It's the sort of thing that could be pretty great really if it was actually trying to be the nonsensical bullshit it accidentally ended up as.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phobophilia posted:

i make sure to watch the underage girl fighting animes for the fight scenes

dude have you seen the Senran Kagura thread

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

dude have you seen the Senran Kagura thread

Why is that thread not gassed yet? Why? :psyduck:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The OP's gaping void where his shame should be creates a powerful negative pressure that makes it impossible for mods to get in.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Glasslip continues to be boring and directionless in episode 3. Dropped.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Love Stage is living up to the mangaka's other work, Princess Princess, by being both really really gay and absolutely hilarious. Definitely sticking with this.

letmun
May 8, 2013
argevollen is hitting all the bases for a generic mecha but it's being decently interesting so I'll keep watching

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Archer666 posted:

Love Stage is living up to the mangaka's other work, Princess Princess, by being both really really gay and absolutely hilarious. Definitely sticking with this.

The next episode preview shows that it's about to become a lot more gay and also a lot more rapey.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Because everyone is being honest about getting horny of it and that's respectable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Archer666 posted:

It's not actually written by the Princess Princess author; she just does the art, though there probably is some nonzero collaboration with the writer.

• Locked thread