Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

Japanese suburbia is awesome.

I meant in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Magna Kaser posted:

Chicago is exciting cause of all the murder. Come on Abe, Chicago has more murders in a weekend than Hong Kong has in a month.

I wonder what the murder rate in China is.
Well apparently Henan is serial killer central, so there's that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Probably depends on what you call a murder.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Eifert Posting posted:

I wish somebody would murder your posts!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I call them big jerks!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

goldboilermark posted:

I meant in the USA.

Okay, yeah, pretty much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So in a major city I assume you can get Chinese food from everywhere, right? Not just the local style? And ingredients as well. I have a shitload of Cantonese cooking stuff (Caberham :glomp: ) but am assuming bringing Chinese ingredients to China would be dumb.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
It'll be off at the cheaper places. Like I used to go to a Fujian place in Chengdu that was good, but my students from Fujian said it wasn't legit.

More expensive places might be closer to real stuff. I went to a Cantonese place on the "famous food street" in Chengdu (一品天下 yi pin tian xia) with a Cantonese guy and he said it was just like home. It was also pricey.

I dont know about ingredients, never tried to make anything that wasnt Sichuanese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What is pricy in Chengdu terms? I'm used to near Tokyo prices where I am now.

Also if any of you Chengdu goons like Korean food and want Korean ingredients, let me know and I'll bring stuff for you.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

For two people, it was like 400rmb? You could probably find better for cheaper, I just never went hunting for Cantonese food. Anything on that particular street is going to be overpriced, anyways.

There's some good northeast and northwest restaurants dotted around the city.

The Korean food is weird like Korean Chinese food is weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

The Korean food is weird like Korean Chinese food is weird.

Aw man. Korean Chinese is the worst. At least I'm good at cooking Korean.

Sichuan and Hui are my favorites, so if there's good Hui somewhere I'll be happy.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

There's a few places that are passable. There's one near goonmeet restaurant Papa John's that's ok. But any regular hole in the wall place is gonna be Chengdu food in a pot with lovely kimchi.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I got dragged to a couple Chinese restaurants while I was in Korea. This was me: :stonk:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Giant jiaozi all over the place

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korea has reduced the entirety of Chinese cuisine to three dishes, this is efficient.

A couple of the Korean Chinese things can be good as long as you know that's what you're getting, but it sure as gently caress isn't Chinese.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bring enough bulgogi for a year tia

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea has reduced the entirety of Chinese cuisine to three dishes, this is efficient.

A couple of the Korean Chinese things can be good as long as you know that's what you're getting, but it sure as gently caress isn't Chinese.

The guys I was with kept ordering variations on this weird sweet, brown sauce based meat dish.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

jjajangmyeon owns though

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Sichuan version is better.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I have a Colombian neighbor that always eats at these sinified Korean places and has never been to Korea but always talks about how much better Korean food and culture are than Chinese food and culture. I think he has the same learning disability that ghostbob has.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Racism? or Scottishness?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

What is pricy in Chengdu terms? I'm used to near Tokyo prices where I am now.

Also if any of you Chengdu goons like Korean food and want Korean ingredients, let me know and I'll bring stuff for you.

Chengdu is dirt loving cheap. Magna is more like bragna, his rent is ridiculously low.

When are you going to Chengdu? If it's a weekend I will show up. I want Tibet this time.

Oh and from now on Hong Kong goon base is ruby Tuesday instead of morton steak house. Bloodnose has a 3year discount membership card. Half off all food and booze.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It has already paid for itself like a jillion times over.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

MeramJert posted:

The guys I was with kept ordering variations on this weird sweet, brown sauce based meat dish.

General Tso's chicken owns.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Racism? or Scottishness?

If you had to live in Henan, you'd be Scottish too!

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Chengdu is dirt loving cheap. Magna is more like bragna, his rent is ridiculously low.

When are you going to Chengdu? If it's a weekend I will show up. I want Tibet this time.

Oh and from now on Hong Kong goon base is ruby Tuesday instead of morton steak house. Bloodnose has a 3year discount membership card. Half off all food and booze.

Chengdu is so cheap that I lived by myself in a 2BR apartment inside the 1st ring. Good luck finding a place that isn't a crumbling shithole, though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GuestBob posted:

If you had to live in Henan, you'd be Scottish too!

You get the Saltire in the Henan welcome basket.

Smeef posted:

Chengdu is so cheap that I lived by myself in a 2BR apartment inside the 1st ring. Good luck finding a place that isn't a crumbling shithole, though.

Hey, no building in China is built to last more than 30 years. It just so happens that 5 of those years are spent being under construction and the estimate doesn't include stress and wear from things like occupants, pollution, gravity, and other freak occurrences.

I can't wait for the day some high ranking bureaucrat reads up on Albert Speer and ruin theory. It would mesh perfectly with China's love affair with marble.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Id rather live in a 15 year old Chinese bullding than a 5 year old building.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm living in a 45 year old building, it seems fine.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Aw man. Korean Chinese is the worst. At least I'm good at cooking Korean.

Sichuan and Hui are my favorites, so if there's good Hui somewhere I'll be happy.

I actually don't know of any good Hui places here, which is weird since if you drive like an hour north you end up in regions filled with Hui. There are a few Xinjiang places that are good, and of course a lot of Tibetan restaurants.

Probably are some Hui, though.

Lately I've been a big fat 'ol expat an enjoying the burgers, thai food, and sushi that have come with our new oversized malls which will be empty and decrepit in a couple years but I will enjoy them while I can.

Smeef posted:

My apartment is pretty ok now. My older one was nicer though.

What part of chengdu are you looking at GF? The white people are around Tongzilin, the white people area around Jiuyanqiao or a non-white people area~~~~~~~~

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Korean Chinese food is loving depressing. The weirdest thing is you can get American Chinese but at crazy prices. Want General Tso's? OK. 15$ please. Oh, you wanted that with rice? 6$.

But sometimes you find actual Chinese for like 4$ and it's glooooorious. my favorite meal in Seoul is some hole in the wall Sichuan place with no menu item over 6$.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello Shenzhen China goon lurkers. We are having a mini meet Monday. All you lurkers are invited! PM if you are forums shy or email me [my user name].spam AT GMAIL

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

That's caberham.spam@gmail.com for anyone too lazy to type, like me. :eng101:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

What part of chengdu are you looking at GF? The white people are around Tongzilin, the white people area around Jiuyanqiao or a non-white people area~~~~~~~~

I know literally nothing about Chengdu so I don't know. I've never lived in a white people area in Korea so I don't care about that. Somewhere reasonably close to where I'm working, which I don't know offhand. :buddy:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I know literally nothing about Chengdu so I don't know. I've never lived in a white people area in Korea so I don't care about that. Somewhere reasonably close to where I'm working, which I don't know offhand. :buddy:

Wait wait wait, ARE YOU MOVING TO CHINA?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

Wait wait wait, ARE YOU MOVING TO CHINA?

I kakaoed you man, check yer phone.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You lucky assholes get him starting in September.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

:toot:

Personally I think it's no coincidence that Lowtax visits China and then a mod moves here a season later.

Yeah.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

GuestBob posted:

:toot:

Personally I think it's no coincidence that Lowtax visits China and then a mod moves here a season later.

Yeah.

Mop is a Chinese message board known for its Photoshop threads, and its members sometimes call themselves 'bandits'.

:tinfoil: WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Why/when did Lowtax visit China?