Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Evil Fluffy posted:

If that's the creator in the picture then the kickstarter is being run by someone who looks to be 13-14 years old. Kids these days, with their Pokemans and kickstarters. :corsair:

I have no idea if that picture is recent. She is a senior in design school. She looks older in the video. Looks like she has a website and her whole fashion line is up there! http://sakurabready.com/missy.html She seems very competent, I just question everything related to her tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Another smartwatch: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch

But this one has a pico projector to display all your notifications right on your hand where everyone can see them. As demonstrated by this sinister character:

Alright maybe it's kind of an interesting gimmick, I like the minimalism you get from not having a screen, but there's not a single detail about how it works beyond it using "special projector technology". Every image of it is a 3D render or Photoshop mockup on smarmy stock art models. Reading into it they don't even seem to have a functioning prototype. So, pay $120+ for these guys to get their idea past the back-of-a-napkin stage without any proof that it actually works, and maybe you'll get something in a few years time. Naturally it's flexible funding.

it dont matter has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jul 17, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Another smartwatch: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch

But this one has a pico projector to display all your notifications right on your hand where everyone can see them. As demonstrated by this sinister character:

Alright maybe it's kind of an interesting gimmick, I like the minimalism you get from not having a screen, but there's not a single detail about how it works beyond it using "special projector technology". Every image of it is a 3D render or Photoshop mockup on smarmy stock art models. Reading into it they don't even seem to have a functioning prototype. So, pay $120+ for these guys to get their idea past the back-of-a-napkin stage without any proof that it actually works, and maybe you'll get something in a few years time. Naturally it's flexible funding.

Their Gantt chart has it shipping in Feburary, which seems crazy.

I bet they'll be able to produce something that does what they say, but it will be disappointing. Hands are lumpy and projecting at that low of angle will make a crappy image. And be sure not to bend your wrist down to a negative angle because it won't be able to project at all! :gay:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wa27 posted:

wa27 posted:

Gantt chart

HAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Yeah sure, let me hop in my time travel machine back to 1970 when these things were relevant.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

Hah. Erm, missed that. As if you needed any more proof that this is total bollocks. Best case, it's a bunch of ideas people who got carried away.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I like how the rewards just give you more watches. 50? Sign me the gently caress up!

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't seen this posted in here yet. give some guy $500,000 to make a Breaking Bad spin-off starring Val Kilmer and Slash!

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

"Larry Shepherd - 25 friends"

Haha

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Wow. Yeah, I don't see this working for a second. Even if it does, It won't do everything they are claiming, or look decent unless your hand is specifically placed. I love their images though, they just looked up stock attractive people and lazily dropped a bracelet on there.

Oh wait, one of those is a bit different. Anyway, I am kind of surprised we haven't seen more pico-projector related kickstarters; They are up there with 3D printers and dumb wrist monitoring things when it comes futuristic poo poo you think you want. I am genuinely amazed this ran up 400% funding with its 'Pretty people and photoshop' campaign. They have nothing of real value technically here. Of course it wirelessly charges too!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

:whitewater:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That guy's in charge of fulfilment? By the looks of it the only one being fulfilled is him, when he hangs around a public swimming pool changing room.

Naturally the tech blogs have bought the full force of their keen journalistic skills to bear on this transparent horseshit.

http://bgr.com/2014/07/15/ritot-smartwatch-projector-wearable/

quote:

The Ritot, however, is a smart wrist-worn wearable that might actually be worth checking out.

So what about all those other wearables you lot have been hyping for years? Forget them. This imaginary one is best.

quote:

As cool as all that sounds, there’s a catch: the Ritot doesn’t actually exist yet.

But let's not question that little detail.

Also, none of them have pointed out that the name is crap. What the gently caress is a Ritot? Sounds like a variety of potato.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Another smartwatch:

Its so obviously fake it hurts. There's no way that the display will read that well on your palm skin in uneven or outdoor lighting conditions... even if you hold it at exactly the right pose so there's no distortion.

Everything is clearly photoshopped. Just wow.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its so obviously fake it hurts. There's no way that the display will read that well on your palm skin in uneven or outdoor lighting conditions... even if you hold it at exactly the right pose so there's no distortion.

I have worked a little bit with using projectors to display on uneven surfaces or at extreme angles, (hardly an expert at projectors though, take this with a grain of salt) I cannot see how this could ever work. The device will need a way to see the angle of the hand at bare minimum, if you want an undistorted image it should probably map the bumps on the surface, but that is impossible with a device like this so we can assume they are okay with it distorting over your tendons/veins. There is no way you will be able to read text like the tweets in the promo images.

Because these small projectors all use lasers, focus is not an issue at least. I don't see how you can use one of these to display anything in direct sunlight though. They want it to be able to project in a wide variety of colors too, which seems like a lot of uneccessary tech. Will they be using a full color range projector and just setting it to display one at a time? The device would have to fit pretty tight to stay in place, and with only one button on the device, configuring everything from the base panel will suck.

All software and hardware is being done by one guy. The two founders were a manager and a designer, that alone bodes poorly. With a $50,000 funding goal though, I am going to straight up assume this is a scam. The photoshopping is awful, they have no actual design specs here and there is no way you will prototype and then mass manufacture a wrist based projector and a fully interactive charging station for that money. Either they are scamming incredibly idealistic and gullible people or they think this will be as trivial as sticking a projector and a battery into a wrist mount. Either they are geniuses or idiots.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
But they've got such professional photography!

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

morcant posted:

But they've got such professional photography!

When you're at a rave in the middle of a hurricane in your panties, you don't have the time to check a traditional display!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

It's just a little stock photography. I love the titles of the photos, "Portrait of suspicious elegant businessman looking in camera".

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Has there been any flexible funding project, besides outright charities, that was not a scam?

On the bright side, I have no idea how the kickstarter went or if there was drama, but I bought Divinity yesterday and its a ton of fun. Was that an actual kickstarter success story?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Someone change this so he's flipping us off.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

MrAptronym posted:

Has there been any flexible funding project, besides outright charities, that was not a scam?

On the bright side, I have no idea how the kickstarter went or if there was drama, but I bought Divinity yesterday and its a ton of fun. Was that an actual kickstarter success story?

Yes, the game is really great. They delayed a bit and the day/night cycle didn't make it in but otherwise it's a really good game. Wasteland 2 is looking good too. From a game play perspective that is, it's quite a bit uglier than Divinity but so far it plays pretty well.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Someone change this so he's flipping us off.

I wanted to use "happy businessman in thumbs up gesture" or "satisfied businessman in ok gesture" instead, but those stock images cost money.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

BloodWulfe posted:

I wanted to use "happy businessman in thumbs up gesture" or "satisfied businessman in ok gesture" instead, but those stock images cost money.

oh no, elegent very desperate businessman! he looks so unhappy. maybe his magic watch broke

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Turned that frown upside down

He looks like Adam Scott now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BloodWulfe posted:

Put this in the OP please

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh excuse me but you appear to have misunderstood just how this revolutionary watch changes everything, see they have special technology and also they have promised it will work in all lighting conditions now please pay hundreds of dollars thank you.

If you're still not convinced perhaps some tasteful stock art carefully photoshopped to depict our wildest dreams will change your mind?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Now I want to create intentionally fake kickstarters just to see what kind of poo poo people think is possible.

Jetpacks! Ends up they're easy to make, the government has just kept them from going mainstream because they don't want you flying everywhere all the time and... something about taxes.

Add some clearly photoshopped video of a guy with a jetpack in front of a green screen and rake in the millions.

Then again wasn't there already a project for like downloadable internet? I don't know how you top that.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

BloodWulfe posted:

Yesssss

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That businessman middle finger edit is loving great. He is the face of crowdsourcing.

Zaphod42 posted:

Now I want to create intentionally fake kickstarters just to see what kind of poo poo people think is possible.

Jetpacks! Ends up they're easy to make, the government has just kept them from going mainstream because they don't want you flying everywhere all the time and... something about taxes.

Add some clearly photoshopped video of a guy with a jetpack in front of a green screen and rake in the millions.

Then again wasn't there already a project for like downloadable internet? I don't know how you top that.

Wouldn't even need to make pitch videos, just use some of those Tim and Eric spoof ads, I think they did one about the internet on a CD. And there's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3tx3IEsN4

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/251370657/pug-let-the-first-ever-all-pug-production-of-hamle
Another local kickstarter: An all pug presentation of hamlet, expected to last 5 hours, has $1500 in funding. Thats five hours of pugs in costumes on a stage. Not much to say here other than that this is the worst idea and my faith in humanity requires me to believe that all the money so far has been from people involved in the 'production'.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253722565/disney-days
Hi, I go to disneyland literally every two weeks. Pay me $500 so I can take pictures with my iphone.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/71604815/ms-pak-man-multiple-lives
Cabaret show about Ms. Pak-man as a drag queen? Funded. I am pretty okay with this existing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lukasluk/tableair-workstation-for-professionals
Tables are boring! Self adjusting height table! It glows! It hooks up to the internet, to your phone! Somehow it is healthy? Really exciting video for a table.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/420383008/the-oxberry-project
Fully funded animation project. Her editing is atrocious, especially the sound. Her animations are creepy at best. Very 'experimental' in the way artists use that word to describe bad things.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/181239886/jaesa
A next generation AI! Not scripted at allll. Comes in a weird sci-fi style window with needless charts and a rotating eye thing. I think the guy asks his AI out on a date? I have no idea how legit this is, and haven't looked much into it, but they are over 200% funded.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/let-s-build-a-planetary-energy-transmitter

It reads like a... well, see for yourself:

quote:

Nikola Tesla left us a very detailed description of the design of his Magnifying Transmitter system together with the physical principles of its operation. We are a group of modern-day physicists, trained in many areas related to the operation of his Worldwide Energy System. We’ve conducted an exhaustive scientific investigation into his works and we came to the conclusion that Tesla was on the right track. Moreover, the experimental data accumulated by modern physics after the departure of The Inventor by means of satellites and ground observations proves that the System may be a key to the next major step in building energy systems for humankind

The Inventor!

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

I am confused as to how they think this works. They are claiming to transmit power through the air with greater efficiency than any high voltage lines. I am no electrical engineer, but I have dabbled, what principles is this based on? We know the rate at which electric fields dissipate, top research companies like Intel have been spending millions on wireless power and barely getting anywhere. I do not get how you can see this design and not think 'Massive wasted energy'.

If it did work though, wouldn't it disrupt animals that have an electric sense? Couldn't it interfere with some antennas across relevant frequencies?

I love Tesla, he was kind of a hero of mine as a kid, and I thought it was cool we share a birthday, but he was wrong. Why do people just obsess over anything related to the man? How can you even be this deluded? Am I reading to much into a scam?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

MrAptronym posted:

I am confused as to how they think this works. They are claiming to transmit power through the air with greater efficiency than any high voltage lines. I am no electrical engineer, but I have dabbled, what principles is this based on?

It's the indiegogo principle, which also allows one to measure caloric intake with a wristband and power cities with road energy.

edit: Not to be racist, but really not surprised this is being run from eastern europe.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

quote:

Being as up front as I can be, Val Kilmer tweeted this on 7/16/14:

@valekilmer did you see there's a goofball on kickstarter wants to make a sequel to breakingbad starring me? Americans are never happy with a good thing.

I tweeted back: Really? Bryan Cranston Drops Crazy 'Breaking Bad' Hint In CNN May, 2014

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/30/walter-white-not-dead_n_5415300.html

And also: Your agent couldn't have emailed me back saying that you weren't interested? Instead you call me a goofball? You don't even know me.

7/17/14 2:30pm

I'm getting a lot of questions about Val Kilmer's tweet and simply put, him calling me a goofball is what it is.

What really pisses me off is that he completely dissed Ms. Jana Mashonee by tweeting that in the first place. She has 2 Grammy nominations, 10 Nammys, she has performed for President Obama, and the First Lady Laura Bush. Her movie, the Dinosaur Experiment, made back it's money in 3 1/2 days. The last time I checked they've doubled their money. She sang in 10 different American Indian languages on her Christmas album. She agreed to do the Anastasia pilot, and Val Kilmer wiped his rear end with her decision by tweeting that.

Secondly is his completely negative comment about Americans. I am a veteran, and although I expect zero special treatment because of it, I do expect another American to respect this country and it's citizens. Yes we as Americans do strive to keep going, to make this the best country on earth.

Also, Mr Kilmer completely wiped his rear end with the fact that Anastasia is hiring American combat veterans to play the 7 police officers in the pilot. He should have had the decency, and respect for those veterans, many of whom have sacrificed everything, by keeping his mouth shut rather than trivialize the project. Enough said.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

:suspense: That guy's gonna go far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm pretty sure we've seen an almost identical project to this in the thread before but it looks like these are different guys. The other one was all "Well we can't give you any details because it's all super secret but trust us, we've got science degrees!"

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure we've seen an almost identical project to this in the thread before but it looks like these are different guys. The other one was all "Well we can't give you any details because it's all super secret but trust us, we've got science degrees!"

This is their second kickstarter! So, you probably saw them the first time around.

Speaking of crazies, there is an organization called 'fix the world' which seems to be run by some crazy woman. They believe in basically all conspiracy theories, and claim to be working on a free energy machine. They call it a "Quantum Energy Generator" because they don't understand quantum mechanics OR electronics. They seem to be trying to create their OWN crowd funding site to SAVE THE WORLD, but in the mean time.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/home-quantum-energy-generator/
http://www.gofundme.com/Phase3QEG
They keep getting tens of thousands in crowdfunding. With exciting rewards like a sweater for $1000!

They came up with what they call 'The New paradigm buisness model' this means they won't lie and take your money and they eat organic. This means that they can solve all the world problems. Actually, they are all solved! They are just getting covered up!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym posted:

This is their second kickstarter! So, you probably saw them the first time around.

Speaking of crazies, there is an organization called 'fix the world' which seems to be run by some crazy woman. They believe in basically all conspiracy theories, and claim to be working on a free energy machine. They call it a "Quantum Energy Generator" because they don't understand quantum mechanics OR electronics. They seem to be trying to create their OWN crowd funding site to SAVE THE WORLD, but in the mean time.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/home-quantum-energy-generator/
http://www.gofundme.com/Phase3QEG
They keep getting tens of thousands in crowdfunding. With exciting rewards like a sweater for $1000!

They came up with what they call 'The New paradigm buisness model' this means they won't lie and take your money and they eat organic. This means that they can solve all the world problems. Actually, they are all solved! They are just getting covered up!

Free energy machines getting funded?

gently caress it, I'm gonna Kickstart snake oil. Actual snake oil.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

PostNouveau posted:

Free energy machines getting funded?

gently caress it, I'm gonna Kickstart snake oil. Actual snake oil.

Get in line, bub; these good people offered snake oil AND graveyard dirt. :colbert:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

I am convinced that with enough buzzwords and an appeal to hipsters/nerds/bigots/new-agers you can sell literally anything on kickstarter/indiegogo. No matter how bad or actually insane the idea, it seems like there is a crowd waiting to pay for you to pretend to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

As long as I'm not sure it's been picked up at midnight I'll stick to sewing shut mouths on my enemies photographs, thank you very much.