Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

PleasureKevin posted:

wirelessly charge your router too

lol wtf

quote:

RIGHT NOW, you can secure one for your home at a price that is 100 dollars off the anticipated MSRP of 220 dollars! That’s a discount of 50 percent!

double lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
things I want in a router
configure it, shove it in a closet and forget it exists

things I don't want in a router
all that poo poo

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i have never understood people wanting things like consoles and routers to look 'pretty'

its a box that you look at once and then it sits somewhere and provided its not aggressively gaudy you can just ignore it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i have never understood people wanting things like consoles and routers to look 'pretty'

its a box that you look at once and then it sits somewhere and provided its not aggressively gaudy you can just ignore it
routers/switches/etc are one of those things where a featureless box made of cold-rolled steel or aluminum is perfectly fine and I wish consumer grade products in those lines would start being designed like that

actually I wish that as far as computer poo poo goes that companies would just stop making consumer grade garbage and just figure out how to market and sell small-business to enterprise quality goods to consumers at semi-reasonable prices; PC OEMS/Network Gear manufacturers/etc can't enjoy doing the razor-thin margin thing with their plastic garbage poo poo products

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Fabricated posted:

actually I wish that as far as computer poo poo goes that companies would just stop making consumer grade garbage and just figure out how to market and sell small-business to enterprise quality goods to consumers at semi-reasonable prices; PC OEMS/Network Gear manufacturers/etc can't enjoy doing the razor-thin margin thing with their plastic garbage poo poo products

consumers don't want quality. they want whatever cheap poo poo lasts just long enough that they don't feel cheated

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I've got an AEBS and yeah, it's an Apple device so it actually looks nice so if you were to put it somewhere visible it would look ok.

That being said, I haven't set eyes upon the thing in months it's just shoved away somewhere out of sight.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm the hackers, spies and creeps

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sweevo posted:

consumers don't want quality. they want whatever cheap poo poo lasts just long enough that they don't feel cheated
Marketing talk but is that what consumers want because it's actually what they want, or is it because that's what has been given to them

generally quality builds brand loyalty; I may just personally think OSX is a poo poo but MBPs are pretty well built/reliable so that's why people like them so much and the cheap plasticy poo poo Inspirons/Acers/etc are why people think most PC OEMS suck when HP/Dell at least produce pretty decent enterprise stuff

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Marketing talk but is that what consumers want because it's actually what they want, or is it because that's what has been given to them

generally quality builds brand loyalty; I may just personally think OSX is a poo poo but MBPs are pretty well built/reliable so that's why people like them so much and the cheap plasticy poo poo Inspirons/Acers/etc are why people think most PC OEMS suck when HP/Dell at least produce pretty decent enterprise stuff

you are correct that brand loyalty is valuable but one of the strongest thoughts during a purchase decision is "am i getting cheated or am i getting a steal". like how a consumer will prefer a shirt on "sale" over the same shirt for the same price if that price was the regular msrp

codl
Jul 28, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/customrecyclebins/custom-recycle-bins

rubbish

check out that sweet $50 reward though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i like SOHO netgear stuff for this reason, they're a box of aluminum that is exactly the size of the number of ports

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

this is just a spray painted bin right?

hobbesmaster posted:

i like SOHO netgear stuff for this reason, they're a box of aluminum that is exactly the size of the number of ports

im not arguing function over form for everything but for a thing that sits on a shelf out of the way that you interact with to turn on/off or not even that much doesnt need to be cool looking it just needs to work

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm not sure which is sadder, kickstarter or patreon

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

i'm not sure which is sadder, kickstarter or patreon

isnt patreon the one for webcomics? because that seems like a dumb thing to build a website around

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

the hunky bill gates one suits my needs though

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

patreon is just donating money to people for whatever

i do it for red letter media cos i like their stuff

but thats it because meh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

keyboard vomit posted:

isnt patreon the one for webcomics? because that seems like a dumb thing to build a website around

it's for anything, at all, but their header looks like a dumb webcomic

(i'm the #buttcoin)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PleasureKevin posted:

wirelessly charge your router too

wireless charging is the stupidest bullshit even for things which ought to be moved around

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

(i'm the #buttcoin)
:eyepop:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they think they can sell this for $99 and ship by october.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

excuse me, can anyone explain why you'd even want a battery in a router, or why you'd want to wirelessly charge it? i thought the "wireless" in "wireless router" meant it gave you a wi-fi network

thanks in advance

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MeramJert posted:

excuse me, can anyone explain why you'd even want a battery in a router, or why you'd want to wirelessly charge it? i thought the "wireless" in "wireless router" meant it gave you a wi-fi network

thanks in advance

let me tell you a story about the internet of things

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
i loving love managing batteries in literally everything i own

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i just happen to have a leaked design document for this thing

✓ Facebook - this router just downloaded something amazing, what it is will blow your mind!
✓ Twitter - tweets your u/d ratio!
✓ Instagram - takes pictures and posts on your behalf
✓ No batteries, wireless means wireless!

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i just happen to have a leaked design document for this thing

✓ Facebook - this router just downloaded something amazing, what it is will blow your mind!
✓ Twitter - tweets your u/d ratio!
✓ Instagram - takes pictures and posts on your behalf
✓ No batteries, wireless means wireless!
✓ Truly 100% wireless, even internally. Not even traces on a processor
✓ Solid state device, does not require electricity
✓ Is a big block of cheese

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

does it have an android virus yet

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

theadder posted:

does it have an android virus yet

all android devices do

it's called android

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Thesoro posted:

✓ Truly 100% wireless, even internally. Not even traces on a processor
✓ Solid state device, does not require electricity
✓ Is a big block of cheese

okay now i'm interested

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Migishu posted:

I guess that's why they went with indiegogo instead of kickstarter since kickstarter won't let you create a funding project with mockups

uh yeah you can create a kickstarter with mockups, they just have to be clearly labeled.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

uh yeah you can create a kickstarter with mockups, they just have to be clearly labeled.

https://www.kickstarter.com/rules posted:

When a project involves manufacturing and distributing something complex, like a gadget, we require projects to show a prototype of what they’re making, and we prohibit photorealistic renderings.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:pusheen:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
is that cat mimicing the wrestleman

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yes no photorealistic renderings.

what this policy means is you can have a painted block of wood and some renderings that are balatantly not real and you're good to go.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

is that cat mimicing the wrestleman
yes

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes no photorealistic renderings.

what this policy means is you can have a painted block of wood and some renderings that are balatantly not real and you're good to go.

what do you think 'prototype' means

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

vOv posted:

either it means a clearly labeled mockup or a painted block of wood and non-photorealistic renderings

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

vOv posted:

i'm telling you what kickstarter actually lets you do, what they approve as good enough

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'm telling you what kickstarter actually lets you do, what they approve as good enough

do you have any examples of them approving a project without a prototype since the rules were changed in late 2012?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vOv posted:

technically a "prototype" can be a zillion different things. it's just some early example of some part of the concept that you intend to refine later. in product design for instance it is inevitable that at some point you will build an "appearance prototype", a nonfunctional painted wooden model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

vOv posted:

do you have any examples of them approving a project without a prototype since the rules were changed in late 2012?

most lovely kickstarters

• Locked thread