Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Killer robot posted:

I think the argument is that suggesting someone not voting with their group is some sort of race/sex/etc traitor is lovely, regardless of whether you use the term "uncle tom" or even whether they're picking a side harmful to their group. I mean, you can argue on the other side too, but the point is that the wording isn't important.

You vote for something that's gonna make black kids starve or harder for the community to vote, yeah you're a traitor, also you can suck a dick/vagina.

And I'm so glad to be talking about ANYTHING else than that wargames poo poo, that was the most brain deadening derail I've seen in a while, and it went foreeever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Shageletic posted:

You vote for something that's gonna make black kids starve or harder for the community to vote, yeah you're a traitor, also you can suck a dick/vagina.

And I'm so glad to be talking about ANYTHING else than that wargames poo poo, that was the most brain deadening derail I've seen in a while, and it went foreeever.

Did you listen to the talk? He gave several examples where liberal/Democrat policies that were meant to help the black community had the opposite effect, such as affirmative action reducing black graduation rates and the Congressional Black Caucus encouraging the 100-1 crack cocaine-powder cocaine arrest rate.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He's wrong?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Shageletic posted:

He's wrong?

He's supporting his statements with facts and historical data and you're going "nuh-uh" so... :shrug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Amergin posted:

He's supporting his statements with facts and historical data and you're going "nuh-uh" so... :shrug:

So bullshit. The CBC has been fighting the crack disaparity for literal decades.

quote:

Sharply rebuking the White House, the Congressional Black Caucus said today that President Clinton had not gone far enough in recommending to Congress that the Federal sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine be only reduced rather than eliminated.

At a Capitol Hill news conference, members of the caucus said the harsher treatment of defendants convicted of possessing small amounts of crack had resulted in long prison sentences for disproportionate numbers of blacks. They urged the Clinton Administration to negotiate with Congressional leaders to make the penalties equivalent to those imposed in powder-cocaine cases.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/24/us/black-lawmakers-criticize-clinton-over-cocaine-sentencing.html

And do I have to go into the affirmative action bullshit? Just google search, instead of listening to stupid guy on Cspan #30440

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Shageletic posted:

If you aren't part of the group, calling someone a traitor to the group means you are claiming that as an outsider you know better about being a part of that group than the person who is part of it. Which is about as hosed up, condescending, and self congratulatory as it gets. Don't do it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

If you aren't part of the group, calling someone a traitor to the group means you are claiming that as an outsider you know better about being a part of that group than the person who is part of it. Which is about as hosed up, condescending, and self congratulatory as it gets. Don't do it.

So as a non-Jew I can't make the claim that Group 13 were race traitors? Do go on....

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Well, I'm black and I can definitively say that black republicans are uncle toms (because republicans really aren't the party that's out to help black people at all, in fact they're here to hinder us). Why concern troll, Fried Chicken, when Shag's not really that far off from the truth of the matter?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Well, I'm black and I can definitively say that black republicans are uncle toms (because republicans really aren't the party that's out to help black people at all, in fact they're here to hinder us). Why concern troll, Fried Chicken, when Shag's not really that far off from the truth of the matter?

But the black guy on that C-Span interview is also black, so I have one black person saying they're not uncle Toms and another saying they are.

What, as a white person, am I supposed to make of all this? :ohdear:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

But the black guy on that C-Span interview is also black, so I have one black person saying they're not uncle Toms and another saying they are.

What, as a white person, am I supposed to make of all this? :ohdear:

Having one of these problems?

Split the difference? Some are Uncle Toms, some aren't?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

So as a non-Jew I can't make the claim that Group 13 were race traitors? Do go on....

Yeah, because it gets used to refer to people working to enact genocide and not as a glib blast for someone disagreeing politically. Wait, poo poo, that's exactly how it is used. And even then there's a difference between calling out someone's actions and using a racially defined term.

nutranurse posted:

It is concern trolling to call out supremacism now? Because that's what it is, the same attitude that "I'm better at being one of you than someone who is one of you".

I can rail against everything Allen West says and does all day long, but as a white guy I do not get to claim that I know better about the experiences of being a black man then him. It's incredibly ignorant and bigoted to do so.

Some slurs you don't get to use unless you are part of the group. "Uncle Tom" and the like are some of them.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 17, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If someone is a black republican they are either already rich, or trying to get rich off of wingnut welfare. There are no exceptions to this rule.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Amergin posted:

Finally got around to listening to this interesting discussion on race. The guest made some good points on wanting equality in opportunities and circumstances to be equal rather than outcomes and had some interesting data and stats to back up his points.

It's sad that often times black conservatives receive such vitriol from people who are supposedly looking out for the black community, especially when they usually have such an uphill battle within the Republican party against old WASPs who don't think the party needs to court black voters.

The problem is that people champion false fixes with 20 year payoffs that May or may not work to justify cutting the support that people are getting now. I'd happily see the phase out of race based admissions and hiring if we also successfully created an equitable opportunity environment through more evenly funded and staffed schools systems and the like. Race based admissions are only racist if you assume that everyone got to college on a level playing field.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, because it gets used to refer to people working to enact genocide and not as a glib blast for someone disagreeing politically.

If you think the modern conservative movement's stances concerning minority rights can be described quaintly as mere "political disagreement" with those who, you know, think black people actually deserve voting rights, then I don't know what to tell you. My example was hyperbolic because your statement was made in absolute terms. There's nothing wrong with a white person saying that Allen West is actively working against the interests of African Americans. It's not even really an opinion, and giving that act a "glib" moniker isn't some atrocious supposition of behalf of white people.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

If you think the modern conservative movement's stances concerning minority rights can be described quaintly as mere "political disagreement" with those who, you know, think black people actually deserve voting rights, then I don't know what to tell you. My example was hyperbolic because your statement was made in absolute terms. There's nothing wrong with a white person saying that Allen West is actively working against the interests of African Americans. It's not even really an opinion, and giving that act a "glib" moniker isn't some atrocious supposition of behalf of white people.

But the voting rights changes haven't reduce black voter turnout rates. They were supposedly going to affect minority voters more, but they don't seem to be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

But I am part of that group...?

I personally wouldn't talk like that, but I understand if other people would.

EDIT: ^^^ And that's b/c of virulent opposition and mammoth effort by voting right groups to make sure that people were informed about the changes. You don't say that its not raining just because you happen to be under a small umbrella.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 17, 2014

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, because it gets used to refer to people working to enact genocide and not as a glib blast for someone disagreeing politically. Wait, poo poo, that's exactly how it is used. And even then there's a difference between calling out someone's actions and using a racially defined term.

It is concern trolling to call out supremacism now? Because that's what it is, the same attitude that "I'm better at being one of you than someone who is one of you".

I can rail against everything Allen West says and does all day long, but as a white guy I do not get to claim that I know better about the experiences of being a black man then him. It's incredibly ignorant and bigoted to do so.

Some slurs you don't get to use unless you are part of the group. "Uncle Tom" and the like are some of them.

Ah, but people on this forum are on the left of the political spectrum, so it's okay for them to use Uncle Tom all the loving time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Amergin posted:

But the voting rights changes haven't reduce black voter turnout rates. They were supposedly going to affect minority voters more, but they don't seem to be.

Yes! Our racist loving with black people's right to vote got black people angry in the short term and didn't effect turnout, therefor you can't point out that we're loving with black people's right to vote!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Yes! Our racist loving with black people's right to vote got black people angry in the short term and didn't effect turnout, therefor you can't point out that we're loving with black people's right to vote!

I mean obviously it's too early to tell, but if you predict something to happen and it doesn't happen, you can't just run around screaming "It hasn't happened, YET!"

I mean unless you're talking about Iran nuking Israel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amergin posted:

I mean obviously it's too early to tell, but if you predict something to happen and it doesn't happen, you can't just run around screaming "It hasn't happened, YET!"

I mean unless you're talking about Iran nuking Israel.

Would you like to argue that republicans all over the country AREN'T engaging in a despicable racist effort to deny black and brown people the right to vote or are you arguing that those efforts just aren't that effective?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

If you think the modern conservative movement's stances concerning minority rights can be described quaintly as mere "political disagreement" with those who, you know, think black people actually deserve voting rights, then I don't know what to tell you.
If you think anything going on in this country is comparable with the treatment of those deemed undesirable in Nazi Germany you need to get your head out if your rear end. Even Joe Arpaio doesn't go that far.

quote:

My example was hyperbolic because your statement was made in absolute terms.
No, your statement was hyperbolic because mindless hyperbole is all you have to justify this. You guys are talking about crafting new racial/ethnic/sexual specific slurs, and you don't see that as a giant "holy gently caress what is wrong with us" warning sign?

quote:

There's nothing wrong with a white person saying that Allen West is actively working against the interests of African Americans.
Correct! But there is nothing acceptable about a white person using a racial term to do it, which is what you are arguing for

quote:

It's not even really an opinion, and giving that act a "glib" moniker isn't some atrocious supposition of behalf of white people.
So just give me a timeline, how many posts until you are going to be "but why can't I say friend of the family?" :freep:

This is not loving complicated. If you aren't part of the group, you don't get to use slurs specific to the group, and you particularly don't get to use them if the context of "I'm a better X than you are, and I'm not even X" like "Uncle Tom" and the other proposals are.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 17, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Amergin posted:

All the people warning about high inflation just around the corner would suggest that you're wrong.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Beamed posted:

Ah, but people on this forum are on the left of the political spectrum, so it's okay for them to use Uncle Tom all the loving time.

This guy gets it.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Would you like to argue that republicans all over the country AREN'T engaging in a despicable racist effort to deny black and brown people the right to vote or are you arguing that those efforts just aren't that effective?

I'm saying that their impetus has nothing to do with race and everything to do with reducing fraud with very simple requirements. You need an ID to get a library book but requiring an ID to vote is somehow racist?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amergin posted:

I'm saying that their impetus has nothing to do with race and everything to do with reducing fraud with very simple requirements. You need an ID to get a library book but requiring an ID to vote is somehow racist?

What fraud are you talking about? You do know that in-person voter fraud is virtually non existent right? I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with making it harder for people to vote who are more likely than not to vote against republicans and EVERYthing to do with the non existent, ineffective, imaginary crime of voter fraud.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

If you think anything going on in this country is comparable with the treatment of those deemed undesirable in Nazi Germany you need to get your head out if your rear end. Even Joe Arpaio doesn't go that far.
No, your statement was hyperbolic because mindless hyperbole is all you have to justify this. You guys are talking about crafting new racial/ethnic/sexual specific slurs, and you don't see that as a giant "holy gently caress what is wrong with us" warning sign?
Correct! But there is nothing acceptable about a white person using a racial term to do it, which is what you are arguing for

So just give me a timeline, how many posts until you are going to be "but why can't I say friend of the family?" :freep:

This is not loving complicated. If you aren't part of the group, you don't get to use slurs specific to the group, and you particularly don't get to use them if the context of "I'm a better X than you are, and I'm not even X" like "Uncle Tom" and the other proposals are.

Lot of points to get to here. Let's go back to your original claim that I am addressing.

"If you aren't part of the group, calling someone a traitor to the group means you are claiming that as an outsider you know better about being a part of that group than the person who is part of it. Which is about as hosed up, condescending, and self congratulatory as it gets. Don't do it."

I'm not a fan of using terms like "Uncle Tom" and the like because as you said, those terms have racial baggage and aren't constructive. But that's not the point I was addressing. You claimed that unless you are a part of a group you absolutely cannot claim that anyone inside that group is a "traitor to the group". I pointed out why this is wrong by using the Jewish Nazi-collaborator example. I wasn't comparing African Americans to Jews in Poland and you know that. I was demonstrating how your claim, as worded, was dumb. But then you predictably took the easy strawman route followed by calling me a Freeper. Well played I suppose. Also bonus points for using the most racially loaded term in the English language to attack me while telling everyone else they shouldn't use racial terms to attack others.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 17, 2014

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amergin posted:

There is no fraud to reduce.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Akin being Akin
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/todd-aki...pZqN7bBDhnSQwdV

quote:

ormer GOP senatorial candidate Todd Akin joined Daily Rundown host Chuck Todd for an uncomfortable interview Thursday morning, in which Akin defended his “legitimate rape” comments that arguably cost him a Senate seat two years ago.

Akin argued that “legitimate rape” was short for a legal term, “legitimate case of rape.”

“This is something that was intentionally misunderstood and twisted for political purposes,” Akin said. “Because it doesn’t make any sense to say a conservative is saying that rape is legitimate. I mean, that doesn’t even add up.”

The former congressman also defended his comments that women’s bodies “had ways of shutting that whole thing down,” referring to conception from rape. “I’m not presenting myself as a doctor,” Akin cautioned, before citing studies saying that the stress incurred after rape could affect pregnancy.

“That’s really an ancillary question to the final question, which is: does a child conceived in rape have the same right to life as a child conceived in love,” he said.

Akin added that it was unfair that he had been pilloried by the media when Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton (who defended an alleged rapist in 1975) were applauded.

“I know you want to be mad at the media, and be mad at the president, but it’s Republicans who threw you under the bus,” Todd said, asking if Akin felt pressure from a Republican party that wanted him nowhere near the 2014 election.

Akin denounced the GOP’s “party leaders” that openly tried to force him out of his Senate race. “They don’t believe anymore in the process of the primary election,” Akin said. “They think that the people in primaries in various states are too stupid to pick the right person.”

He should have called his book No Apologies from the way he is talking about this

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

FizFashizzle posted:

There is no fraud to reduce.

Point of fact: what little voter fraud there is is usually performed by Republican-leaning organizations. Google it, unless you think Google has a liberal bias. Even then, most of their fraud deals with petition stuffing and registration fraud. In reality, almost nobody is successful at voting illegally.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

mcmagic posted:

What fraud are you talking about? You do know that in-person voter fraud is virtually non existent right? I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with making it harder for people to vote who are more likely than not to vote against republicans and EVERYthing to do with the non existent, ineffective, imaginary crime of voter fraud.

The very best face you can put on Republican voting legislation is they are enacting laws to fight a fake, non-existent problem because it allows them to talk about it a lot and create the false impression that voter fraud is a problem. This becomes part of their larger rhetorical strategy of presenting people who disagree with them politically as fundamentally dishonest, traitorous, and not true Americans. Also when they lose elections, they can pretend it was due to the Voter Fraud Problem, not to broad public disgust with theirown views, which turns losses into opportunities to get the base frothing again.

The problem going with that relatively charitable interpretation is that the laws do have a marked tendency to target minority turnout and on various occasions Republican operatives and legislators have gone off-script to openly admit that this was exactly their aim.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Politician says a stupid thing about rape: Reset the clock folks!

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Beamed posted:

Has anyone actually used the term in this thread, rather than mentioning it?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CaptainCarrot posted:

It is literally used everytime Allen West, Clarence Thomas, or Ben Carson say anything.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Lot of points to get to here. Let's go back to your original claim that I am addressing.

"If you aren't part of the group, calling someone a traitor to the group means you are claiming that as an outsider you know better about being a part of that group than the person who is part of it. Which is about as hosed up, condescending, and self congratulatory as it gets. Don't do it."

I'm not a fan of using terms like "Uncle Tom" and the like because as you said, those terms have racial baggage and aren't constructive. But that's not the point I was addressing. You claimed that unless you are a part of a group you absolutely cannot claim that anyone inside that group is a "traitor to the group".
So your quibble is I kept it broad because people were trying to craft a broad array of identity specific slurs on the past few pages?

quote:

I pointed out why this is wrong by using the Jewish Nazi-collaborator example. I wasn't comparing African Americans to Jews in Poland and you know that. I was demonstrating how your claim, as worded, was dumb.
No, you knee jerked. Your defense of the right to craft and use identity specific slurs in modern America because you think they apply to a group from Nazi Germany only flies if you think the circumstances are similar. That is what the entire analogy is grounded on. It was completely idiotic and now you are trying to walk it back

[Quite]
But then you predictably took the easy strawman route followed by calling me a Freeper. Well played I suppose. Also bonus points for using the most racially loaded term in the English language to attack me while telling everyone else they shouldn't use racial terms to attack others.[/quote]
Yes, how dare I point out that your whining about wanting to use identity slurs applies to all identity slurs.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Beamed posted:

It is literally used everytime Allen West, Clarence Thomas, or Ben Carson say anything.

Should be easy enough to find quotes then.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Beamed posted:

Then I'm sure finding an example won't be that hard, since Thomas was part of a controversial SC decision recently.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Beamed posted:

Can you cite some examples? I've been a pretty steady DD reader since before my reg date and I can think of maybe a handful of times i've seen the term used (and they were pretty extreme - think black politicians agreeing with crack vs cocaine sentencing). Definitely not in the last few years.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fried Chicken posted:

You're inferring a whole bunch here by claiming that someone who is calling a black republican out as being harmful to the advancement of their race as being supremacist.

Fried Chicken posted:

I wasn't talking about the use of the word Uncle Tom, heck, you yourself were just talking about

Fried Chicken posted:

calling someone a traitor to the group

I don't care to police the white forumites of SA on whether or not they use the word Uncle Tom, because the white forumites of SA say way more racist things on the reg (and no one routinely gives a poo poo; I, for one, would love it if the mods policed things to make the forums more friendly towards minorities, but that's not the SA we have). I, however, will gladly use it and call a spade a spade or an Allen West an awful loving uncle tom. I just find it strange that pointing out how a person advocating/espousing political beliefs that actively harm members of their own already downtrodden race is a traitor to their own race is taken as a condescending and self congratulatory act. I would love it if more white people spoke up about how conservative beliefs harm minorities, regardless of the packaging around said toxic beliefs. Much better than when white people either don't give a poo poo or hold those beliefs themselves.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CaptainCarrot posted:

This particular thread? I'd have to look. But it has been dropped in earlier iterations, usually talking about Tim Scott, Ben Carson, Herman Cain, Clarence Thomas, and Allen West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tigntink posted:

Can you cite some examples? I've been a pretty steady DD reader since before my reg date and I can think of maybe a handful of times i've seen the term used (and they were pretty extreme - think black politicians agreeing with crack vs cocaine sentencing). Definitely not in the last few years.

It was all over the place when the SCOTUS gutted the VRA dude.

• Locked thread