Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Liar Lyre posted:

the writing team is Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz (Thor, Sarah Connor Chronicles)
They also did X-Men First Class.
Kinda optimistic about this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
1960s swinging Power Rangers. Come onnnnnnnnnnnn

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

I get the hate with TVN, but I have a problem with AEsir's Gaim sub, mostly how they are translating the Professor's name.

They translate his last name to Warring instead of keeping it Sengoku. I can get translating the Driver name and then doing the same to his to keep it consistent for the plot but most of the time and and watching and it just irritates me they translated his name.

I believe they said at one point that the v2 batch of Gaim (once the series is done) will have the name/driver left as Sengoku, and have the option of translating all the overlord-speak as well.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

I believe they said at one point that the v2 batch of Gaim (once the series is done) will have the name/driver left as Sengoku, and have the option of translating all the overlord-speak as well.

Are they going to use the Blu-Rays or reuse the TV rips?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

Man, I'm mixed because Orci also does the Everything But The Kitchen Sink approach to plots, which many people say is WHY the Transformers movies and ASM 2 are bad. I'm cautious, but it does show Saban is serious about the movie by hiring professional AAA league crew.

Serious about trying to cash in on nostalgia maybe. Honestly you should all just be expecting some sort of season one plot (Rita escapes/Team formed/Green with Evil/etc) except in movie form with an in to a sequel (that will only occur if the movie is successful.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So this is pretty apropos of nothing...but for nostalgia's sake I started rereading the old Animorphs books and came to the realization that they're basically a Ranger team. 5 teens, each with their own quirk or special ability, a 6th member with similar power but a wildly different appearance and origin, 50+ 'weekly' 'episodes' and some longer specials. Its kinda amusing how similar the tropes are.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

jivjov posted:

So this is pretty apropos of nothing...but for nostalgia's sake I started rereading the old Animorphs books and came to the realization that they're basically a Ranger team. 5 teens, each with their own quirk or special ability, a 6th member with similar power but a wildly different appearance and origin, 50+ 'weekly' 'episodes' and some longer specials. Its kinda amusing how similar the tropes are.

Not really surprising. From what I understand, Animorphs is basically a deconstruction of Power Rangers' setup, with the irony that Power Rangers itself would explore the 'alien super war that the good guys are seriously outmatched for' idea, and answered it with 'they save the day anyway dammit, because they're the Power Rangers'.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Jake is Red, Marco is Blue, Tobias is Black/Green, Cassie is Yellow, Rachel is Pink, and Ax is the 6th Ranger. Huh. It fits perfectly.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I imagine Rachel would have instantly told Cassie that she's Pink and swapped morphers, and Tobias is more of the traditional Blue nerd stereotype, but that is very eerie. Makes me want to re-read the series.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure Tobias would be Red.

:v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The other one I like is

Zach is Red, Screech is Blue, Kelly is Pink, Jessie is Yellow, and Slater is Black.

The evil green ranger would be Bob Golic. After contract disputes Kelly and Jessie would walk off set, and Torrie would become the new pink ranger with Lisa becoming the yellow ranger.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Followed by MMPR: The New Class, where Screech mentors a new team, but most everyone's given up on the series and asks "That's still a thing?" when told of its existence.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
We could go in another direction too.

Jake is Red, clearly, inarguably. Marco is probably Black, as he's the best friend/foil/almost rival.

We could make Rachel Blue, due to her being one of the few who enjoys fighting. Tobias strikes me as a Green and Cassie could be either Pink or Yellow.

Jake (Red)
Rachel (Blue)
Tobias (Green)
Cassie (Yellow)
Marco (Black)
Ax (Gold? Silver?)

David (White)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Inkspot posted:

Followed by MMPR: The New Class, where Screech mentors a new team, but most everyone's given up on the series and asks "That's still a thing?" when told of its existence.

Yeah, I think in this analogy the College Years are the first half of Turbo. I have no idea if New Class was any good at all though, so it kind of falls apart since Power Rangers really improved as a show once it started rotating casts. California Dreamin is Super Samurai Syber Squad.

Maybe USA High is Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

greatn posted:

Yeah, I think in this analogy the College Years are the first half of Turbo. I have no idea if New Class was any good at all though, so it kind of falls apart since Power Rangers really improved as a show once it started rotating casts. California Dreamin is Super Samurai Syber Squad.

Maybe USA High is Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

Where does VR Troopers fit in?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know, I'm running out of 90s tween sitcoms. Welcome Freshman?

Edit: And Big Bad Beetleborgs would be Salute your Shorts?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You all forgot Hang Time, AKA Saved By The Bell WITH BASKETBALL. Mostly notable for being Anthony Anderson's first real role.

But USA High as TTAFfBH is possibly the best analogy ever conceived. USA High similarly felt like they built like 3 sets from cardboard and papier mache and hired the kids from the local high school that the school drama club wouldn't take.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 17, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

greatn posted:

I don't know, I'm running out of 90s tween sitcoms. Welcome Freshman?

I'm so sorry.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boy meets World is Superhuman Smaurai Syber-Squad because they star the same person.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Liar Lyre posted:

Boy meets World is Superhuman Smaurai Syber-Squad because they star the same person.

The show was obviously super lame and badly titled, but had the best megazord toy ever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tae posted:

The show was obviously super lame and badly titled, but had the best megazord toy ever.

Good luck tracking down the deluxes for a decent price. God knows I've tried.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tae posted:

It also had Tim Curry. Tim Curry is like an automatic +5 to anything he's in, it's in his character sheet or something.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tae posted:

Which one? Servo could combine into either Xenon or... Drago? Synchro? Something like that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They're both rad. It's basically the Thunder Megazord if the drat thing could actually move.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I wish I could track down a Dekaranger morpher for less than $100.

Are any of you guys going to Morphicon by any chance? My girlfriend is, and the guest list includes Austin St. John, Anna Hutchison (Lily from Jungle Fury), and David de Lateur (RJ from Jungle Fury) will be there and the current Megaforce/Super Megaforce team. I wanna say Walter Jones might be going as well, but I'd have to double check. Basically I am gonna end up giving her a bunch of cash to get autographs since I can't take off work to go out to LA.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Morby posted:

I wish I could track down a Dekaranger morpher for less than $100.

Are any of you guys going to Morphicon by any chance? My girlfriend is, and the guest list includes Austin St. John, Anna Hutchison (Lily from Jungle Fury), and David de Lateur (RJ from Jungle Fury) will be there and the current Megaforce/Super Megaforce team. I wanna say Walter Jones might be going as well, but I'd have to double check. Basically I am gonna end up giving her a bunch of cash to get autographs since I can't take off work to go out to LA.

I'm going. I'm registered as Platinum

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, I just got a rather interesting email. See, there's an indie game that was funded on kickstarter called Chroma Squad - basically, you run a sentai production. Stage your own battles, get a cast, fight some monsters in spectacular style, etc, etc. It was funded on kickstarter and has been in development a while, but things had gotten a bit quiet...

Chroma Squad posted:

Hello everyone!

For quite some time we were absolutely focused in developing the beta version and releasing it for all early adopters to try. That's why we've stayed offline for sometime now. But a big thing happened, and considering that you all are our investors and backers, we have to talk to you about this.

The producers and attorneys from SABAN, the company that owns the rights for Power Rangers in the West, have been in contact with us for a while now. They have been playing our game and making some questions about it.

This week they've contacted us to offer a deal. They see two options in this negotiation: the first one being using the court to make sure that our game wouldn't get released. The second option would be that they would join our project with a royalty share. We both prefer the second option, considering that going into court would be painful for both sides. So, we started a win-win negotiation.

You all know that our game is inspired by something much broader than Power Rangers. We're talking about an amazing Sentai culture that is mostly Japanese, but got even bigger with fans from around the world. We're talking about tokusatsu in general, japanese super heroes, animes, kamen riders, everything that inspired us very much in our childhood and continue to inspire us now.

We're talking to them right now and we hope that everything goes well, and we can stay indie as we want, and as the game needs to be: heartful, inspiring, amazing, and with a lot of jokes, quirky stories and every bit of the meta layer that we love.

Don't worry, we'll do everything to make the game come out!
Have a great week, and I hope pretty soon you'll all gonna play the game.
Cheers!

I don't like the undercurrent of Saban threatening to take the matter to court (I get, copyrights to protect, but still), but I do see a potential opportunity, depending on whether Saban is actively interested by the project, or just wanting to make sure they get their money's worth. After all, if Saban was onboard with actually promoting the game in some small part (though hopefully avoiding tampering with the actual development too much), they'd be able to draw in potentially greater profits whilst also having a Sentai/PR game on hand that isn't a hastily rushed tie in for the current season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well that's disheartening to hear...I mean, I'm glad they didn't just get outright C&D'd...but does Saban even really have a case here? I mean, yeah its obvious that the game is inspired by Toku, specifically Sentai/Power Rangers...but I don't think anything Chroma Squad is doing could be considered copyright infringement.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If Harmony Gold shitfest is anything to go by, they will money it up to have a case and Chroma Squad guy doesn't have enough to outlast them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Isn't parody protected though? This seems like the kind of thing that 15 minutes with a competent lawyer would clear right up...

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

There's also the curiosity of the fact that the team behind Chroma Squad is headquartered in Brazil, whilst the extent of Saban's license and copyright with regards to Power Rangers/Sentai is unknown to me, plus how Brazilian copyright law and protections may/may not differ from the US.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This really feels like Saban pulling a corporate dick move and just throwing their weight around because they can, and knowing that they can out-spend anything an indie dev team could on a legal defense. Which is utter bullshit through and through.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wouldn't Toei have more of an actual say in this matter than Saban?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JT Smiley posted:

Wouldn't Toei have more of an actual say in this matter than Saban?

Kinda depends on who has distribution rights of Power Rangers in Brazil, I would think.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
It's pretty much 100% Saban pulling a dick move, unless the laws in Brazil are radically different. That said, I'm sure they have deeper pockets than the Chroma Squad dev team, but I'd honestly rather have them use my KS funds to fight the legal battle instead of releasing some watered-down licensed title.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Plus whether or not Toei cares so much. It actually surprised me Saban managed to even take notice really. Aside of that, its made murky still by the history of distribution in Brazil - see, it started doing sentai series, but later on to save cost and the like, they just ported over portuguese dubbed power rangers. So... yeah.

jivjov posted:

This really feels like Saban pulling a corporate dick move and just throwing their weight around because they can, and knowing that they can out-spend anything an indie dev team could on a legal defense. Which is utter bullshit through and through.

And hence I hope someone involved with this sees an opportunity beyond wringing out maybe a few thousand bucks out of an indie game. I mean, there's really no point otherwise.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Saban owns all distribution outside of Asia, including in space and on other planets (Haim's a forward thinker, you see.) There is no way that Brazil isn't their territory.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

Saban owns all distribution outside of Asia, including in space and on other planets (Haim's a forward thinker, you see.) There is no way that Brazil isn't their territory.
Of course Saban own distribution rights to In Space. Why wouldn't they?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Speaking of In Space, does Lost Galaxy really take place the next year? Is there some assumed period of a few years peace to give Earth time to build Terra venture out of reverse engineered technology of quantron and cog ships and the astro mega ship, make a museum, and presumably have Mitchell building the aquabase and the rescue zords?

Or is the answer "Its a kids show, they built that fuckin city sized spaceship in two months".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original idea was that either 5 to 10 years had passed, but they decided, to keep things in the 'present day', to make it the next year retroactively.