Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I love Jon Lee Anderson's description in the New Yorker of what ISIS does as 'performance terrorism'. Because it feels exactly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is there any other kind?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
There have been claims in Kobane (graphic images at the bottom of the article) that ISIS has been using chemical weapons against Kurdish fighters. I haven't seen these claims corroborated anywhere else, and although the description provided by the doctors isn't very compelling the images should be able to provide a basis for independent diagnosis.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ShutteredIn posted:

This stupid parody account got a lot of people screaming at it for this

:allears:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
بسم الله الرائع الرحيم :rory:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Has ISIS said anything of note about Hamas/Israel?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Has ISIS said anything of note about Hamas/Israel?
I think I have seen some map in this thread where Israel is within the planned expansion of Islamic State.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

kalstrams posted:

I think I have seen some map in this thread where Israel is within the planned expansion of Islamic State.

Both of those maps were very false though. One was seemingly created by a white supremacist group in the US (that's where it first appeared) the other map that covered most of the Muslim world also appeared on some none Islamic site first. There are a lot of people that love to create material that portrays a great Islamic threat to further their own agenda.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

kalstrams posted:

But no specific comments, antagonizing, etc?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There were rumors of them declaring HAMAS illegitimate and saying they were a target. I doubt they have anything other than hostile intentions toward Israel, should they ever get that far.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I want to say that one of the preachers said something along the lines of reconquering Jerusalem in the :nms: propaganda video linked a few pages back.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I was checking through videos today, and came across the shittiest training video ever, so I re-edited it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fix2govisNU

[edit] wrong video

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 16, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What Islamic Caliphate doesn't have getting control of Israel/Jerusalem as one of it's long term goals? :confused:

They may have enough on their plate with Syria and Iraq for now, but I'm 100% sure that they are not happy with the Jews controlling Palestine.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brown Moses posted:

I was checking through videos today, and came across the shittiest training video ever, so I re-edited it

[edit] wrong video

Some powerful kung-fu moves at the end.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007
So do they have any idea or personnel with expertise that knows how to run a nation? Or even have any idea how to take care of things like trade or food?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FADEtoBLACK posted:

So do they have any idea or personnel with expertise that knows how to run a nation? Or even have any idea how to take care of things like trade or food?

Inshallah.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty interesting interview with a group of people you don't get to hear much from. Syrian Palestinian refugees in Egypt. Many are from Yarmouk. Somebody went to a protest in Egypt and translated their statements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUiEVZZn7rI

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

[edit] wrong video

A famous goon, but a goon nonetheless.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
For the last few hours gunmen have been attacking Kabul International Airport, shooting at anything they can from a couple buildings north of the airport. Although it isn't nearly as intense as what happened in Libya, I wonder if the Taliban may be aiming to try something similar in Afghanistan. Although I have to imagine that as long as the US is in Afghanistan, security must be much tighter.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Brown Moses posted:

[edit] wrong video

Glorious.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Kaal posted:

The "Highway of Death" in the Gulf War was literally this writ large. It's fairly well-known as a traffic jam blown up vehicles a mile long. An Iraqi convoy got boxed by American aircraft, and the soldiers abandoned their vehicles en masse - probably a wise idea, because they were all shot to pieces. "But Kaal," you ask, "doesn't that highway have a reputation for being the burial ground of ten thousand poor Iraqi soldiers murdered by trigger-happy American imperialists?" It does! Thanks to the sterling efforts of people, like journalist and thread-favorite Seymour Hersh, who basically fabricated the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death#Controversies

Do you bother reading what you're linking to before you post it?\

For avoidance of doubt, this is what the link says about Hersh:

quote:

Additionally, journalist Seymour Hersh, citing American witnesses, alleged that a platoon of U.S. Bradley Fighting Vehicles from the 1st Brigade, 24th Infantry Division opened fire on a large group of more than 350 disarmed Iraqi soldiers who had surrendered at a makeshift military checkpoint after fleeing the devastation on Highway 8 on February 27, apparently hitting some or all of them.

That's specifically about an alleged attack on soldiers who surrendered at a checkpoint, not about the massacre of the retreating column. It's doubly hilarious because the only justifying, not denying a massacre, is from Norman 'Let's drown Baghdad' Schwarzkopf.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 17, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is posting onion articles here looked down upon? Because if not...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/everyone-in-middle-east-given-own-country-in-31700,36484/

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/07/burn-before-reading/

"This analysis appears in Friedman’s latest dispatch, titled “Order vs. Disorder, Part 2” (never mind that the previous column was titled “The World According to Maxwell Smart, Part 1”). In the lede, Friedman asserts that the Israeli-Arab conflict is “to the wider war of civilizations what Off Broadway is to Broadway … a miniature of the most relevant divide in the world today: the divide between the ‘world of order’ and the ‘world of disorder.’”"

Why can't we remove this man from the national discourse? He quite literally has the worldview of a Warhammer 40k novelist.

Edit: Oh right, freedom of the press.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Libertarianism works, ladies and gentlemen! :ancap:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Full invasion of Gaza underway. Naval shelling, tanks and troops on ground. Power is out for most of the strip, indiscriminate shelling by the Israelis. It's a full on war.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 17, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

7thBatallion posted:

Full invasion of Gaza underway. Naval shelling, tanks and troops on ground.

Being discussed here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647023&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

7thBatallion posted:

Full invasion of Gaza underway. Naval shelling, tanks and troops on ground. Power is out for most of the strip, indiscriminate shelling by the Israelis. It's a full on war.

Just heard this on the BBC. Israelis must have been waiting for a diversion elsewhere in the world.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

reagan posted:

Just heard this on the BBC. Israelis must have been waiting for a diversion elsewhere in the world.

The rest of the world doesn't give a poo poo.

Also, different thread.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gregor Samsa posted:

The rest of the world doesn't give a poo poo.

Also, different thread.

Rest of the world is asleep, the fallout will start tomorrow.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xoidanor posted:

Rest of the world is asleep, the fallout will start tomorrow.

US and EU leaders unanimously posted:

We fully support Israel's valiant effort to defend its hapless citizens from the threat of inexcusable terrorism, and we wish to express our complete solidarity with the Israeli people. We also admire the length the IDF goes in order to avoid needless loss of life. Also Palestinians aren't human beings.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:barf: That's really sickening when you know what's transpired by the hands of the IDF in less than 48 hours.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If only we had like a megathread for I/P stuff.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

If only we had like a megathread for I/P stuff.

Agreed, does Kurdistan in the north offer any kind of stability to Baghdad, or is it the opposite? I've never thought of the Kurds as hostile to the central government, but I understood they had many disagreements.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guys, I was specifically referring to Europe. I'll be shocked if it isn't on the headline of every outlet who heard of it before going to print. It's been the main subject of foreign news for the last week. :v:

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

Guys, I was specifically referring to Europe. I'll be shocked if it isn't on the headline of every outlet who heard of it before going to print. It's been the main subject of foreign news for the last week. :v:

Russian backed seperatists in Ukraine shot down an airliner full of European citizens. If you think Palestinians will be on the front pages over that I dunno what to tell you.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
It's not at the point where I'd say it is absolutely confirmed yet, and it will certainly be drowned out by other news, but Misrata militias have apparently moved on Tripoli in large numbers in order to fight the Zintan based militias there.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

While the world is focused elsewhere, it looks like Assad is back to gassing toddlers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIAlfjqdRXk

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SorcerousHam posted:

Russian backed seperatists in Ukraine shot down an airliner full of European citizens. If you think Palestinians will be on the front pages over that I dunno what to tell you.

Goddammit, I knew I'd regret not following the Eastern Europe thread someday. First I've heard of this. I've been catching up trough the thread and gently caress. :smith:

EDIT: For anyone else out of the loop it starts at page 317.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 17, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Goddammit, I knew I'd regret not following the Eastern Europe thread someday. First I've heard of this. I've been catching up trough the thread and gently caress. :smith:
Today is a really bad day to try and catch up on anything in Eastern Europe thread, that I can tell you for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

The Illuminati and Freemasons are at it again...

• Locked thread