Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Tickets being reopened by goddamn vacation responses and theres nothing I can do about it :argh:

Don't you have a way of forcing the ticket closed without sending an email in your system? Its what we do here, we just ask a manager to force close it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tickets being reopened by goddamn vacation responses and theres nothing I can do about it :argh:

I get tickets updated by idiots replying to the automated message. Usually they say something like "I don't know why I received this message." Motherfucker, can you read? Have you never opened a book on purpose before?

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Comments being added on Facebook because boss has his FB set up to send comments to his inbox, and he had an auto-responder :getin:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Muffinlord posted:

I had a bad scare regarding user satisfaction surveys the other day. A user submitted a negative review based on several pieces of ultimately incorrect information and a bad joke I told about my boss dropping the ball on an equipment request, which would have been enough to get a nasty note, but to make things even better, he submitted it on the wrong ticket, namely one assigned to a technician from another, competing IT contractor. So, it can't be buried under the rug, since our competitor now knows I hosed up.

Anyway, the situation was resolved like a day later, and my track record is largely positive aside from this, so I survive. But it did leave a knot in my stomach until I talked to my boss today and asked him if we're good. He confirmed we are still good.

Ugh...I hate situations like this, especially if it's a joke taken out of context. One of my coworkers told me yesterday about his previous job, where he was coming out of the men's room and at the same time, an older female coworker was leaving the ladies' room. She said something like "could you PLEASE make sure that the men's room door is CLOSED when women are around? We don't need to see what's going on in there!" His perfectly valid response was "well...don't look in the men's room when someone is going in or coming out, then". Lady went to HR to complain, HR called him in and basically said that if she says anything again, just say "OK" and move on. He didn't get in trouble and it was a waste of both their time, but seriously? How about telling that snooty meat-gazing bitch to shut up and not make a mountain out of a mole hill instead, HR?

dogstile posted:

Don't you have a way of forcing the ticket closed without sending an email in your system? Its what we do here, we just ask a manager to force close it.

We use Connectwise and it has an option to uncheck the "contact" box when the ticket closes. If I get a vacation or out of office message that re-opens it, I uncheck that box and close it again, no problems.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 17, 2014

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

dogstile posted:

Not that I am aware off (with current permissions). We use Manage Engine, so if anyone know of a way, enlighten me :)

Westie posted:

Comments being added on Facebook because boss has his FB set up to send comments to his inbox, and he had an auto-responder :getin:

This owns.

Speaking of actual tickets I had good fun with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2393943 today. tldr; Lync response groups decides not to assign calls to available agents until you remove and re-add them to the group.
This is actually affecting production!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in...

quote:

Hello,

Chrome Printing Issue

Thanks,

Andre'

Response: "Ticket detail issue, ticket closed."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ozz81 posted:

Ugh...I hate situations like this, especially if it's a joke taken out of context. One of my coworkers told me yesterday about his previous job, where he was coming out of the men's room and at the same time, an older female coworker was leaving the ladies' room. She said something like "could you PLEASE make sure that the men's room door is CLOSED when women are around? We don't need to see what's going on in there!" His perfectly valid response was "well...don't look in the men's room when someone is going in or coming out, then". Lady went to HR to complain, HR called him in and basically said that if she says anything again, just say "OK" and move on. He didn't get in trouble and it was a waste of both their time, but seriously? How about telling that snooty meat-gazing bitch to shut up and not make a mountain out of a mole hill instead, HR?

I would have told HR that instead of wasting my time, they should probably have words with her for wasting everyone's time as some of us actually have work to do.

Then again, i'm extremely unpleasant to anyone trying to throw me in the shitter and I don't hide it, so maybe that's just me.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I want to share a ticket from 2011. Engineering had just hired an Embedded Software Engineer and this was his first ticket, filed on his first day, and updated 3 times in less than 30 minutes. I didn't even have a chance to reply.

OK, pretty standard so far, although 4 and 5 have already crossed into "lol no" territory. :argh:THAT MS VIRUS!:argh:
Note: It is entirely forbidden to transfer files between home and work. This is made abundantly clear during the orientation process.
5 minutes later, he updated the ticket again.

:supaburn:MS WORD:supaburn:
Tell me how you really feel about UAC.
Shortly thereafter, ticket updated once again.

"For now I'm just going to move all of my poo poo onto a VM." uh
Also, it has only been 10 minutes at most, please be patie-- oh.

How do you write this fast, holy poo poo.
Why are you dictating future IT policies
What is even happening

My boss is CC'd on all tickets and showed this to the CIO, who in turn showed it to the CEO. Upper management is very uptight and paranoid about security, especially computer security. This little bundle of red flags did not make a great impression on the CEO.

As a result, it was this guy's first [b]and[/and] last ticket. He didn't even make it to a second day.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

holy poo poo
The fact that this guy even made it to the end of the first day amazes me. The second I saw the "I VNCd to my home PC in violation of company policy", I'd be contacting HR to let them know immediately.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

God drat. I bet he's a blast at parties.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Fortis posted:

As a result, it was this guy's first and last ticket. He didn't even make it to a second day.

Holy poo poo that is wonderful. Probably should re-hire him for some sort of C level position.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I want to be surprised but his attitude is basically a clone of every software engineer I have ever worked with.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

So, Dell.

You are a week late in providing 24 hour support Warranty service to replace a CPU fan for an Optiplex.

Because, and let me make sure I have this right, there is a World wide SHORTAGE OF RUBBER GROMLETS?
OK, fine...when is the expected delivery date for Gromlets?

Aug 8.

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Fortis posted:

As a result, it was this guy's first and last ticket. He didn't even make it to a second day.

:sbahj:

I've seen some terrible tickets before, but man, nothing this terrifying.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Please put a trigger warning on that ticket and spoiler it. tia

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Billy the Mountain posted:

So, Dell.

You are a week late in providing 24 hour support Warranty service to replace a CPU fan for an Optiplex.

Because, and let me make sure I have this right, there is a World wide SHORTAGE OF RUBBER GROMLETS?
OK, fine...when is the expected delivery date for Gromlets?

Aug 8.

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

So what the gently caress are they going to do to make up for the fact that you paid a poo poo ton of money for 24 hour support and they are in breach of contract?

Also not sure if you have a direct rep but if you sign onto the spiceworks forums there is a dedicated Dell rep that patrols there and has been pretty good about fixing poo poo like this.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm the arse-technica link used to support my irrational hatred of microsoft.

Jesus that is incredible, what was his reaction when he was let go.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jre posted:

The best part is that article is from 2004.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fortis posted:

Good, gently caress that guy and the hobby horse he rode in on.

Nothing wrong with asking for something, but don't act like an entitled prick about it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah but his 30 years of OS software experience entitles him to do whatever the gently caress he wants!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm pretty calm and have endured lots of crap but I would find it hard to respond to that ticket without spit flying from my mouth with each word, sort of like Christian Bale using his wacky Batman voice.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

jre posted:

Jesus that is incredible, what was his reaction when he was let go.

I don't know for sure. He was in another building so all I got was an email from my boss telling me I didn't need to worry about the ticket anymore (including the exchange between my boss, the CIO, and the CEO) and a secondhand account from someone in HR that the guy was more surprised and crestfallen than anything, which is actually even more confusing. If he had gotten mad, I'd understand that, but no. He was blindsided and hurt, like he thought his ticket and requests were totally reasonable.

If I hadn't been able to dig up the old ticket, I'd be unable to tell if it wasn't actually just a fever dream. It was the most bizarre experience I've ever had in IT.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Fortis posted:

I don't know for sure. He was in another building so all I got was an email from my boss telling me I didn't need to worry about the ticket anymore (including the exchange between my boss, the CIO, and the CEO) and a secondhand account from someone in HR that the guy was more surprised and crestfallen than anything, which is actually even more confusing. If he had gotten mad, I'd understand that, but no. He was blindsided and hurt, like he thought his ticket and requests were totally reasonable.

If I hadn't been able to dig up the old ticket, I'd be unable to tell if it wasn't actually just a fever dream. It was the most bizarre experience I've ever had in IT.

He had quite the monologue going on in that ticket, I wish it had gone on for a few days before the walk out the door.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I hate to play devil's advocate but why would a company hire a developer for a project and completely not support him/have the software he needed? I know some of those requests are stupid, but some of that stuff is actually required for him to.. You know.. Work. What would you do, get in your PC and say "Oh well, this poo poo ain't gonna work, I have no tools that support the OS I need to use, gently caress it, I'll just chill"?

That being said, it was actually a very big ticket for 30 minutes. But he probably didn't expect you to solve it all right there, he just kept coming up with stuff he needed to do his job right.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is a right way to ask for that poo poo and there is a wrong way. He should have went to his direct boss first, especially if you're new and don't know the company and culture.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

orange sky posted:

I hate to play devil's advocate but why would a company hire a developer for a project and completely not support him/have the software he needed? I know some of those requests are stupid, but some of that stuff is actually required for him to.. You know.. Work. What would you do, get in your PC and say "Oh well, this poo poo ain't gonna work, I have no tools that support the OS I need to use, gently caress it, I'll just chill"?

That being said, it was actually a very big ticket for 30 minutes. But he probably didn't expect you to solve it all right there, he just kept coming up with stuff he needed to do his job right.

I find it surprising someone read those tickets and then made this post.

I really doubt he was going to have issues with someone installing the software he needed to work.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like that he started planning infrastructure upgrades and a total company wide OS migration.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

I find it surprising someone read those tickets and then made this post.

I really doubt he was going to have issues with someone installing the software he needed to work.

I might be looking at it through rose tinted glasses, but from those tickets he just seems eager as gently caress to start working. Also pretty proactive. I notice how he comes off as arrogant, but maybe a little switch in the tone that you're reading the ticket changes things a bit.

I don't know, I'm just wondering if it was me, I got in my new job, eager to work, I have no local admin account, no software, there's no compatibility between what the project needs and what the company has, and after transmitting all that to IT in an admittably huge ticket that may come off as arrogant despite that not being exactly my objective, I get fired. I wouldn't really capitalize MS WORD but gently caress, as a sysadmin if I couldn't install what I want I'd also be pissed off.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

orange sky posted:

He also went completely against company policy and VNC'd into his home computer and was trying to put work files (again, against company policy) on his home computer, I'm not sure if he succeeded in moving the files I kind of glazed over during parts of the ticket. I'm sure those were some of the BIGGER factors in him getting released.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

MF_James posted:

He also went completely against company policy and VNC'd into his home computer and was trying to put work files (again, against company policy) on his home computer, I'm not sure if he succeeded in moving the files I kind of glazed over during parts of the ticket. I'm sure those were some of the BIGGER factors in him getting released.

Yeah, I reckon that's probably the worst offense.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

orange sky posted:

I might be looking at it through rose tinted glasses, but from those tickets he just seems eager as gently caress to start working. Also pretty proactive. I notice how he comes off as arrogant, but maybe a little switch in the tone that you're reading the ticket changes things a bit.

I don't know, I'm just wondering if it was me, I got in my new job, eager to work, I have no local admin account, no software, there's no compatibility between what the project needs and what the company has, and after transmitting all that to IT in an admittably huge ticket that may come off as arrogant despite that not being exactly my objective, I get fired. I wouldn't really capitalize MS WORD but gently caress, as a sysadmin if I couldn't install what I want I'd also be pissed off.

Maybe the more sensible thing would have been to just make a ticket for what he needed and not for his grand design changes to the infrastructure of the company. He could have spouted his lunacy in a more private setting in a meeting or something.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Ticket comes in:
"Keyboard doesn't work in windows, works in bios."

Uh, okay, that sounds weird. Check the ticket, it's a laptop so I shoot back an email asking if usb keyboards work and if safe mode works.

The reply is just "Oh, it's only the control key that doesn't work."

There's... There's no way to check if the control key works or doesn't work in bios? So how do they know it doesn't work in bios? What? And what about the external keyboard, did it work or not?
gently caress it, send them a new keyboard, I don't care anymore. It's annoying that you can't send more than one question to someone per email because they can't handle the load of more than one question at a time.

Also holy gently caress I'm starting to hate our ticketing system even more, it's like every day there's a new bug and the old ones piled on top.
Todays bug was every single click taking 15-25 seconds to register.
Mixed in with a twist on an old bug where every time I tried to send a part to either a partner or customer it would throw the address to my office instead of the recipients office when I tried to order anything. (Previously it would jsut change the address to one of our pre-configured partners)
Which is fun, because to make a part order you first select a part, then write in the address or select the address if it's a partner and then save the order which is supposed to lock in the loving correct part and address.
But for some reason it doesn't. So you think every thing is just fine and dandy and order the part and the system pops up an error message that the recipient is in the wrong country.
Except sometimes the pop up doesn't appear, and the order goes into limbo.
And it's just... gently caress all this poo poo, I don't need this when the customer on the line is yelling at me, this is a loving big-rear end computers makers firm how is the software this poo poo?

I really do like this place and my coworkers and the job is pretty good, but the loving ticketing system is making work frustrating as hell. The system will also randomly disappear WIP tickets unless you are actively working on them so multi-tasking is taking a big risk.

Kinda thinking I don't want to work phones my next job/promotion or whatever comes.
Or if I do work phones it's strictly only for business customers, a hell of a lot of consumers buy our business grade machines because why not? (I work on the business line which is separate from the consumer line)
So a lot of irate, clueless people call in asking questions I'd rather not bother with, leading to like 40 minute long calls trying to help them install firefox or whatever only to find out they have no internet access or something like that.

Although to be fair the IT guys who call us can also be pretty special, like someone called and asked me for their VPN settings. Because I know those, I have a complete list of every clients VPN settings in my drawer right here, yup, sure, let me check it for you (I didn't actually say this to the customer, I'm not (that big of) a moron)
And another IT guy complaining that he could only set the monitor to 1920x1080 or 1024x768 on a freshly installed laptop. He had downloaded the VGA drivers.

Just hadn't installed them :downs:
Then again we all make :downs: level mistakes now and then, gently caress, I remember trying to set up a credit card reader for a client before this gig and it didn't work and I called the support line in a panic.
"Did you try to install the driver?"
Nope. Forgot about the driver somehow.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
That ticket reminds me of a guy a couple jobs back when all our tools (chat system, remote support, etc) were Windows-based. Long story short, this guy, first thing he does after getting sat down at his new Windows system is bust out a Linux install disc and blow it all away, and then file three tickets asking for the support tools, printer locations, server IPs, etc. Oh, and during the conversation that ensued when I found out about it, he told me he absolutely refused to use or support Outlook.

Him: Oh my God, you like using Outlook. No wonder...
Me: I don't like using it, but I have to support people who do, so it's beneficial to me to ...
Him: Just install Thunderbird, tell them it's the new version of Outlook, and walk away.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sfwarlock posted:

That ticket reminds me of a guy a couple jobs back when all our tools (chat system, remote support, etc) were Windows-based. Long story short, this guy, first thing he does after getting sat down at his new Windows system is bust out a Linux install disc and blow it all away, and then file three tickets asking for the support tools, printer locations, server IPs, etc. Oh, and during the conversation that ensued when I found out about it, he told me he absolutely refused to use or support Outlook.

Me: I don't like using it, but I have to support people who do, so it's beneficial to me to ...
Him: Just install Thunderbird, tell them it's the new version of Outlook, and walk away.

Outlook isn't a total chunk of faeces, it has reasons to exist. Wasn't Thunderbird dev abandoned? No, I'm wrong.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 17, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Linux left such a bitter taste in my mouth, but it wasn't anything to do with the product itself. It was the loving elitist assholes that it seemed to produce.

There was this guy in college that would always pipe up in how a Linux distro could do it, but it was cheaper and "superior" in every way. The kicker? We were learning how to support AD in a Windows 2003 Environment. Then when it came to our Linux class we had to build our own shell and he hosed his up so much it wouldn't boot.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

m.hache posted:

Linux left such a bitter taste in my mouth, but it wasn't anything to do with the product itself. It was the loving elitist assholes that it seemed to produce.

There was this guy in college that would always pipe up in how a Linux distro could do it, but it was cheaper and "superior" in every way. The kicker? We were learning how to support AD in a Windows 2003 Environment. Then when it came to our Linux class we had to build our own shell and he hosed his up so much it wouldn't boot.

While I'm not arguing with you in any way that the worst part of Linux is the users,
it's something they seem to have inherited from UNIX land:

(also see the "Hole Hawg" essay from "In the Beginning was the Command Line.")

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
As a sysadmin/engineer its super painful when the application experts that develop the proprietary stuff the comapny runs on decide to inject credential information (IPs, file paths, user ids and passwords, all of it) into SOP documentation. There will never be a time where I don't harp on that and embarrass you in a change control meeting. Stop doing it. Its stupid.

Between the ineptitude of other departments and the daily "thrill" of managing a Symantec Endpoint infrastructure it feels like YOTJ may be looming for me. Running that, migrating a domain, setting up a VMWare View infrastructure using Surface 2s as the primary client hardware, setting up a new eFax solution and dumping POTS lines in favor of managed numbers via SIP, and dealing with HR bureaucracy have me at the end of my rope. And I have zero help with any of that. And its all "urgent/critical."

On the bright side, we might finally be getting rid of ITSM in favor of some other form of ticketing system.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 17, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

And I have zero help with any of that. And its all "urgent/critical."

Can you at least get your boss to decide the order and priorities?

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

(paraphrased/names changed to protect the innocent)

A ticket came in:

Suzanne is watching Chinese music videos on her laptop and using the built in speakers. Please give her a pair of headphones if you have any in stock.

The follow up ticket:

Suzanne is singing along to the Chinese music videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

(paraphrased/names changed to protect the innocent)

A ticket came in:

Suzanne is watching Chinese music videos on her laptop and using the built in speakers. Please give her a pair of headphones if you have any in stock.

The follow up ticket:

Suzanne is singing along to the Chinese music videos.

Please acquire Bose Sound cancelling headphones.

• Locked thread