Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i am revolted by every houstonian who likes krispy kreme instead of shipleys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Now you can have your fries with mayo and a flame broiled whopper delivered to your sex dungeon, so there's that.

Swan Oat posted:

In Houston you're just supposed to eat at the nearest Vietnamese or Khmer kolache shop.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hodgepodge posted:

Great, now I want fries with mayo. What have you done?

Gotta be real good fries. Actual good fries were the last straw in ruining fast food for me; even if I'm hammered I won't touch the stuff anymore.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I remember when Krispy Kreme came to Texas, and it was huge at first, but then everyone resumed going to Shipley because it is far superior.

Texas is awful in a lot of ways, but not donuts.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

i had shipleys this morning.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
After the Waffle House or on the way?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
That was breakfast yesterday, come on, be reasonable.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

I remember when Krispy Kreme came to Texas, and it was huge at first, but then everyone resumed going to Shipley because it is far superior.

Texas is awful in a lot of ways, but not donuts.

The South does food right and that's about it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Music? Literature? HELLO YANKEE FUCKERS, Y'AIN'T GOT SHEEIT.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The South is consistently the wellspring of American culture, something Yankees are eternally bitter about.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No half measures. It's all either great or total poo poo. We live on the edge down here.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
James Brown: The Greatest American Who Ever Lived

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swan Oat posted:

I once went to a job and the biggest cowboy wannabe motherfucker in the room brought Krispy Kremes out as if it was the second coming and none of us were having it.

You eat Shipleys or kolaches or you eat nothing.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Y'all

That's all I have to say on the matter.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Words with TWO Goddamn apostrophes. Try that, Yankees!

Y'all's
Y'ain't

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Words with TWO Goddamn apostrophes. Try that, Yankees!

Y'all's
Y'ain't

Y'all is a pretty sweet word. I picked it up on a trip to Louisiana and haven't quit using it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's also a very bipartisan and multiracial word. Though if you use it overseas people will stop what they are doing and stare at you, so I've had to tone it down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I legit don't understand how people who don't say 'y'all' address multiple people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ayuh, well I'm'a head ovah the packie in Wusstah an' I'll av' some words for yah latah.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I legit don't understand how people who don't say 'y'all' address multiple people.

I'm in Upstate New York and I do that. I'm used to having a distinction between singular and plural second person from Hebrew, so it feels weird to just say "you" in both cases.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Ayuh, well I'm'a head ovah the packie in Wusstah an' I'll av' some words for yah latah.

*nods in agreement, doesn't speak for three days.*

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Tatum Girlparts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMj0t7sds7I

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"all of you", "the four of you", or some other specifier. That said, yes, the y'all is a great and valuable addition to the English language, the only good cultural artifact to ever come out of the South.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
looks like today's gonna be an anger day, yall

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

We should do a week where you can only post like this.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm in Upstate New York and I do that. I'm used to having a distinction between singular and plural second person from Hebrew, so it feels weird to just say "you" in both cases.

Yeah, I've never lived in Texas and I still do it rather than string out "you all."

Now, everyone: "They" can be singular neutral and I'll brook no discussion on that point.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They say poo poo like yinz and yous guys.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chantilly Say posted:

We should do a week where you can only post like this.

It'd be pretty feckin' awersome.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Swan Oat posted:

krispy kreme is disgusting. shipleys is decent. gotta find one of the OG ones. the one on north main has boudin kolaches on the weekends that own real hard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You don't even have to say y'all. You can say you all. That's perfectly proper.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

"all of you", "the four of you", or some other specifier. That said, yes, the y'all is a great and valuable addition to the English language, the only good cultural artifact to ever come out of the South.

That's what all y'all is for.

As in gently caress y'all I'm going to the titty bar vs gently caress all y'all I'm going to the titty bar.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
See? What did I tell you. Real Houstonians eat kolaches.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

James Brown: The Greatest American Who Ever Lived

Literally prepare and inject an intravenous solution of America, right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5BL4RNFr58

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

See, this even seems worse to me because at least you could argue that Krispy Kreme is a novelty for Oceania or SE Asia, but what can BK possibly offer Belgium? They already do fries with mayo. It's their thing.
it's weird, yes. our country's home to the - actually declared part of our cultural heritage - frietkoten. literally every village has one, cities have dozens and these days you can usually get burgers there too. meanwhile, you have things like burger king, mcdonalds and our own belgian quick - big chains where you can get overly salty, tiny, thin and rock solid fries along with mediocre hamburgers, where you don't know if you just took a bite out of the burger or out of the container. but somehow, they survive. i doubt they do as well as in other countries, but some people just seem to like stuff like that from time to time. my parents never really went out for fastfood with us, but i know a bunch of people where going to mcdo or quick was a special treat - and they generally still love going there. it's not for me.

what i will visit, however, is pizza hut because that poo poo is loving delicious. it's not my go-to pizza place, but if i want to OD on pizza i go there.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

cheerfullydrab posted:

You don't even have to say y'all. You can say you all. That's perfectly proper.

This is America. We're lazy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

it's weird, yes. our country's home to the - actually declared part of our cultural heritage - frietkoten. literally every village has one, cities have dozens and these days you can usually get burgers there too. meanwhile, you have things like burger king, mcdonalds and our own belgian quick - big chains where you can get overly salty, tiny, thin and rock solid fries along with mediocre hamburgers, where you don't know if you just took a bite out of the burger or out of the container. but somehow, they survive. i doubt they do as well as in other countries, but some people just seem to like stuff like that from time to time. my parents never really went out for fastfood with us, but i know a bunch of people where going to mcdo or quick was a special treat - and they generally still love going there. it's not for me.

what i will visit, however, is pizza hut because that poo poo is loving delicious. it's not my go-to pizza place, but if i want to OD on pizza i go there.

Now, has anybody brought poutine over there in a big way? It's not very widespread in the States but you'd think it would be. Even when we do bring it over the border we keep ruining it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DemeaninDemon posted:

This is America. We're lazy.

Wicked lazy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pizza topping: jalapenos, thinly sliced potato, and broccoli. Trust me.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I got fries with curry sauce in Amsterdam because I hate mayo and I have no idea what actual Dutch people like on their fries

they're also way better than McDonald's anorexic fries, quelle surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
theres y'all and then y'alls

• Locked thread