Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I hunger for power and thirst for oil, so I'm gonna do some reasoning and math to see what's the best way to get oil working. My math is terrible, so if someone could check it that would be aces.

Goal: Most fuel per unit of crude oil.

Raw Outputs:
pre:
       REFINEMENT        CRACKING        TO FUEL
       Basic   Adv                    
Heavy    3      1           4:3            2:1
Light    3     4.5          3:2            1:1
Petro    4     5.5          ---            2:1

Heavy/Light/Petro follows a very easy 4:3:2 cracking pattern.
Basic Refine
Straight to fuel : total 6.5 fuel
Heavy makes (3 @ 2:1) 1.5 fuel
Light makes (3 @ 1:1) 3.0 fuel
Petro makes (4 @ 2:1) 2.0 fuel

Adv Refine
Straight to fuel : total 7.75 fuel
Heavy makes (1.0 @ 2:1) 0.5 fuel
Light makes (4.5 @ 1:1) 4.5 fuel
Petro makes (5.5 @ 2:1) 2.75 fuel

Cracking one unit
pre:
Heavy            Light            Petro
0.5 fuel         1 fuel           0.5 fuel
0.75 light       0.66 petro
0.5 petro

Which comes to 
Heavy            Light            Petro
0.5 fuel         1 fuel           0.5 fuel
0.75 [fuel]      0.33 [fuel]
0.25 [fuel]
So it is better to crack heavy to light, but not to petrol, if you're looking for solid fuel. With that in mind,

Basic Refine
Crack Hvy : total 7.25 fuel
Heavy makes (3 * 0.75) 2.25 light
Light makes (3 @ 1:1) 3.0 fuel + 2.25
Petro makes (4 @ 2:1) 2.0 fuel

Adv Refine
Crack Hvy : total 8 fuel
Heavy makes (1.0 * 0.75) 0.75 light
Light makes (4.5 @ 1:1) 4.5 fuel + 0.75
Petro makes (5.5 @ 2:1) 2.75 fuel

TLDR: Crack heavy, refine light. Proper balance of plants seems to be (via testing, not math) 1 crack, 3 Light-fuel, and 2 Petro-fuels. I tried to math this part but my brain gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is basically what I do but I also crack a lotta light oil to keep my petrol gas tanks stocked. Need that gas.

Today I learned that poison only affects biological things. So I have my base producing what are essentially highly toxic chemical weapons to be used defoliants.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpookyLizard posted:

This is basically what I do but I also crack a lotta light oil to keep my petrol gas tanks stocked. Need that gas.

Today I learned that poison only affects biological things. So I have my base producing what are essentially highly toxic chemical weapons to be used defoliants.

Brother I know cracking. I crack like spiderman. That analysis was basically for 'just fuel' refineries, it's basically impossible to balance oil throughput against plastic and batteries and whatnot, so it's best to keep pumping oil in until your petrol tanks fill, until the wells die and you do it again.

E: VVV Nope!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 17, 2014

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Agent Orange Green.

Do you take damage from the poison if you drive through it in a car?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Why are you carrying so much on your person? That's what robots are for.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I carry all that because robots deliver it to me 24/7. Nothing worse than saying "I need something here but [it's out of robot range] [I don't have one so I can't place a ghost] etc"

My action bar basically never gets cleaned or organized, see also the burner miners still on the toolbelt, compare with current research
e: also two stacks of rail lines, not even full stacks

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 17, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That is a very nicely organized cracker setup. Scalable in all directions.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I opt for the robots to keep me stocked with a single item to place ghosts with. Including robots. When I'm going out its a different story. But I like keeping a solid open inventory.

I love watching my logibots.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sage Grimm posted:

That is a very nicely organized cracker setup. Scalable in all directions.

Yes, but this isn't a thread about upper-middle income housing developments.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Overwined posted:

Yes, but this isn't a thread about upper-middle income housing developments.

:golfclap:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I just broke eight hundred solar panels. Entirely with robots, everyone single unit mass produced. I love this game.

I kinda wanna build base entirely by proxy one day. Either use the editor to give myself some starting construction bots and a roboport, or just rush that technology, and never place any object after my first roboport.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

SpookyLizard posted:

I learned something last night too. Construction robots can be ordered to uproot trees. Just take a deconstruction blueprint and drag it over a fuckton of trees. You need a requester chest requesting thousands of wood or the bots will just sit there until they run out of power and / or get eaten.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ouroborus posted:

I learned something last night too. Construction robots can be ordered to uproot trees. Just take a deconstruction blueprint and drag it over a fuckton of trees. You need a requester chest requesting thousands of wood or the bots will just sit there until they run out of power and / or get eaten.

Storage chests will be your friend. whenever a bot is holding something without a destination, they put it into one of those,

I must have 100 thousand wood at this point. I wish I could do something with it, but oh well :shrug:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

senae posted:

Storage chests will be your friend. whenever a bot is holding something without a destination, they put it into one of those,

I must have 100 thousand wood at this point. I wish I could do something with it, but oh well :shrug:

Feed it into your train engines!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feed all my wood into my boiler coal line. If you're using a splitter to merge two inputs, it will prioritize the left input (left when the direction is going down) (I think) so I have wood go in that direction. So if there's wood in the belt that will go down the line, otherwise it will be coal.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

senae posted:

You could check out the tree farm mod. It has an entire production chain from wood all the way to bioplastics. I'll have to try storage chests again. I have not used storage chests in awhile -- The last time I did my idiot bots spent most of their time moving stuff from the logistics network to storage chests. Then they would sit there with resources in ... claws? over top of a full storage chest until they ran out of power and died.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Were you using Active provider chests?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wood goes to trains and my steel mills, since it's basically free power and those area always running (and I deprecate my boilers eventually).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I want to build a train line so long that a train full of wood wouldn't have enough fuel to make the whole distance.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
gently caress, for the first time I actually played without peaceful mode on.. All went will, I built a wall all around my base along with tons of laser turrets. Not that I needed it everywhere, but it just felt so awesome.. Also thinking "Noone is planning to build a wall" the whole time. I researched rocket defense and started working on the required components. At some point I needed more alien artifacts, so I thought I'd just go hunting again as I did several times before. Most of the time I just built a gigantic power line and crept up to them with my laser turrets.

Only this time the base was bigger than I could handle, even with like a hundred turrets. Mainly because suddenly my power level went way down and I was overran. No idea if it was really just all those turrets draining too much power, things seemed alright once I got back to my base.

So I guess I need to actually research combot robots or whatever, sounds awesome anyway. God, I love this game!

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
The last few playthroughs I've done I didn't wall in my entire base. I just placed a big electric pole surrounded it with 12(I think its 12) turrets and then surrounded that with 3 layers of wall. Made a blueprint of that and I just had the robots place them on the outer area of my base and kept them close enough together so nothing could sneak in between two of em. It was great when I needed to expand my base because I could just build another turret base further out and then deconstruct the old one once it was safe.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I tried using one of the mods on the factorio forums, and boy howdy was that a mistake. There's a mod called DyTech that theoretically adds some cool stuff, but I never got to that point because the mod author's head is so far up his rear end that he thinks that extending the early game is a good idea. Seriously, you start out without the ability to make an iron pickaxe (you can, however, build a burner drill out of iron, because that's significantly less complicated than pointy metal on a stick). Instead you can make a wooden pickaxe and that works about as well as you might think. On top of that, burner miners take an additional three stone (which takes loving ages to mine) because apparently stone gears are a thing that can be used in modern machinery.

There's this whole chain of pickaxes, and the whole idea of that completely baffles me. Half the point of the game is setting up an automated factory to build and mine poo poo for you - why the hell should I bother with making a better pickaxe? Sure, in the base game I eventually pick up a steel pickaxe, but that's only when I have an excess of steel and because it comes free with steel technology.

The mod stinks of stuff that got added in because it sounded neat without anyone paying attention to whether or not it adds something compelling to gameplay. Some of the late game additions sound neat - there are bigger and badder biters, as well as bigger and badder weapons to fight them with. There are some automation tools that are added in that seem interesting. That initial impression left me with such a sour taste in my mouth though that I can't really justify trying the mod out again.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Were you using Active provider chests?

They were just provider chests at the time. Before the split into passive and active.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Dirk the Average posted:

There's a mod called DyTech that theoretically adds some cool stuff, . . .

DyTech is very much a "MORE OF EVERYTHING IS BETTER :downs:" mod and should be ignored.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Kenlon posted:

DyTech is very much a "MORE OF EVERYTHING IS BETTER :downs:" mod and should be ignored.

The one thing I can say is that Dytech adds a lot of content.

However, having looked at its code it is clear the author did not take any time to understand Factorio physics at all. Balance is... not a thing.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Drevoak posted:

The last few playthroughs I've done I didn't wall in my entire base. I just placed a big electric pole surrounded it with 12(I think its 12) turrets and then surrounded that with 3 layers of wall. Made a blueprint of that and I just had the robots place them on the outer area of my base and kept them close enough together so nothing could sneak in between two of em. It was great when I needed to expand my base because I could just build another turret base further out and then deconstruct the old one once it was safe.
What, you can make blueprints not only of single buildings but of whole blocks? Never realized that.. Time for a new game, I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wuntvor posted:

What, you can make blueprints not only of single buildings but of whole blocks? Never realized that.. Time for a new game, I guess.

:psyduck:

You don’t even need blueprints for single buildings. Just shift‐click. Granted, this requires you to have at least one copy of the item in your inventory already.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Platystemon posted:

:psyduck:

You don’t even need blueprints for single buildings. Just shift‐click. Granted, this requires you to have at least one copy of the item in your inventory already.
Yeah I was wondering why you guys were raving about them so much and saying how you placed a gazillion solar panels with them.. I am just dumb I guess.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Shintaro posted:

Factorio physics

Is that a prerequisite for learning looney tunes physics or vice versa?

:pseudo: is pretty much the best way to describe how poo poo is supposed to work in this game.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

xarph posted:

:pseudo: is pretty much the best way to describe how poo poo is supposed to work in this game.
Now I want a factory that turns one entire tree into a single extra fancy toothpick, while playing Powerhouse as the background music.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

DaveKap posted:

If you don't have an endgame moment where 20+ logistics bots are constantly feeding you your every whim as you raise your arms in the air yelling "Yes, come to me my pretties! Come!" then I don't even want to know you.

I find that the logistics and construction bots kind of ruin the challenge of the game because everything just happens and you have to do a lot less thinking to get things from point A to point B.

They are handy but since discovering them I've lost a bit of interest in continuing.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

ModeSix posted:

I find that the logistics and construction bots kind of ruin the challenge of the game because everything just happens and you have to do a lot less thinking to get things from point A to point B.

They are handy but since discovering them I've lost a bit of interest in continuing.

I just use them to make my point A to B substantially worse.

For example, my copper line is currently:
Mine copper ore
Send it by flight to a rail depot
Send it via train to the wrong end of my base
Fly it to the input of my smelter line
(normal workflow begins here)

For each train load, there's a great swarm of bots that goes from one end of the base and back.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ModeSix posted:

They just simplify the super late game. I still use belts to set up the basic stuff like both varieties of plates, copper wire, gears, circuit boards, and advanced circuits. Everything else is pretty easily fed by bots, but I often end up with my logistic bot production line (engines,pipes,etc.) sourced by belts too. I also have belts make the first two science packs, batteries, and a few other essentials.

There's nothing stopping you from using belts for most products - they just make it a hell of a lot easier to expand the factory and add in arbitrary builders.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

xarph posted:

Well, sure, game logic. But I was more referring to things like "how electricity works" and "how pollution is calculated" and even "basic arithmetic."

For example, pollution production of a device is determined by energy usage * a pollution coefficient (which is why effectivity modules decrease pollution in a machine), and that coefficient is often defined in the vanilla files as emissions = 0.15/1.5 or some such. Dytech miners of successive levels increase both the numerator and the denominator of this value semi-haphazardly (and unconnected to the energy usage of the miner). On that note, the Dytech miners also raise in speed polynomially (because he raises both mining power and mining speed semi-linearly); the mk5 miner can produce ore faster than an express belt can take it away (not sure about Dytech's faster belts), and the mk6 literally produces ore faster than the game can process (a miner in the game can only produce one ore per tick, the mk6 theoretically takes 0.419)

Vanilla trees have an effective pollution rating of -0.003. Until fairly recently, Dytech rubber trees had a pollution rating of -60. For reference, no vanilla machine has a pollution value of over 10 (before adding speed or production modules).

So yeah, a lot of Dytech's math seems pretty much like "just make up a number lol."

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Shintaro posted:

Well, sure, game logic. But I was more referring to things like "how electricity works" and "how pollution is calculated" and even "basic arithmetic."

For example, pollution production of a device is determined by energy usage * a pollution coefficient (which is why effectivity modules decrease pollution in a machine), and that coefficient is often defined in the vanilla files as emissions = 0.15/1.5 or some such. Dytech miners of successive levels increase both the numerator and the denominator of this value semi-haphazardly (and unconnected to the energy usage of the miner). On that note, the Dytech miners also raise in speed polynomially (because he raises both mining power and mining speed semi-linearly); the mk5 miner can produce ore faster than an express belt can take it away (not sure about Dytech's faster belts), and the mk6 literally produces ore faster than the game can process (a miner in the game can only produce one ore per tick, the mk6 theoretically takes 0.419)

Vanilla trees have an effective pollution rating of -0.003. Until fairly recently, Dytech rubber trees had a pollution rating of -60. For reference, no vanilla machine has a pollution value of over 10 (before adding speed or production modules).

So yeah, a lot of Dytech's math seems pretty much like "just make up a number lol."

How good could dytech be if someone took out all the cruft and gave them all reasonable numbers for...pretty much everything.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I like to build three bases, essentially: the Science Base that makes all the science, the Module Factory (20+ circuit+advcirc facs, 8+ processor facs, 4/2/1 module trees for two module types), and the Junk Factory (that makes repair packs, bots, mines, assembs, etc)

The Junk Factory is usually close to the Science Base since they kinda calve off by mitosis once bots enter the field. The module factory is distinct, and is wherever I can train a shitload of copper and iron to, as well as All The loving Oil since that takes a crapload of plastic. Not much acid as it turns out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

How good could dytech be if someone took out all the cruft and gave them all reasonable numbers for...pretty much everything.

If you went through, rewrote the entire mod, removed the bullshit at the beginning of the game, removed the truly excessive number of new reagents added, balanced any new stuff added, and made sure that everything works, makes sense, and is balanced, then you'd wind up with something like what the tech tree and available stuff that the game will have when released. There's clearly more stuff that the developers want to add - there are things like "basic" accumulators and beacons without any corresponding advanced versions. They've set up their engine so that that stuff is easy to drop in, so it's a safe bet that all that will be expanded eventually.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

If you went through, rewrote the entire mod, removed the bullshit at the beginning of the game, removed the truly excessive number of new reagents added, balanced any new stuff added, and made sure that everything works, makes sense, and is balanced, then you'd wind up with something like what the tech tree and available stuff that the game will have when released. There's clearly more stuff that the developers want to add - there are things like "basic" accumulators and beacons without any corresponding advanced versions. They've set up their engine so that that stuff is easy to drop in, so it's a safe bet that all that will be expanded eventually.

Thats pretty cool. Just so sad about its state and apparently(?) the creator isnt inclined to fix it. :eng99:

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've looked into Dytech as well and from the little reading I've done I believe the guy is in the process of redesigning the mod. Maybe it'll get polished and play better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Thats pretty cool. Just so sad about its state and apparently(?) the creator isnt inclined to fix it. :eng99:

I may have been unclear - I'm being harsh on the guy who makes DyTech. What I was trying to say is that a fixed, polished, and redesigned DyTech would essentially be what the Factorio developers will end up doing for their final release, since there are a lot of vanilla buildings and things that have basic versions without corresponding advanced versions.

DyTech is one of those things that should theoretically be neat, because there's definitely a late-game niche that can be filled, but it's also a mod that adds so much unnecessary cruft that it bogs down the entire game.