Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

So, you work for National Geographic then?

Or went to a really good zoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VendaGoat probably hasn't been to a zoo before

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ansel autisms posted:

VendaGoat probably hasn't been to a zoo before

I only leave my house when food is offered to me.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Went to Hilton Head over the weekend and visited the pinckney wildlife reserve.

IMG_5554.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

Alligator Peering Over Pond by kgao1989, on Flickr

IMG_5569.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

IMG_5576.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

IMG_5594.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

IMG_5567.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

I will have a roll of film being developed with more pics.

lollybo fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 17, 2014

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Sichuan Takin by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Hippopotamus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Snow Leopard by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Chimpanzee by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Snowy Egret by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I love seeing your name pop up on this thread because it means more fantastic photos.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Took a hike the other day, Put my life on the line to get a decent shot of this guy :v:

It's a Bee by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

One from my trip to Denver Zoo a little while back.

Iguana by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

InternetJunky posted:

I love seeing your name pop up on this thread because it means more fantastic photos.

Thanks. Here's more.

Blue-Bellied Roller by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Amazon Milky Frog by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Red-Billed Toucan by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Somali Wild rear end by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Good lord those are beautiful. Where are you taking these exactly?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
alligator lizard july 2014-headshot 1721 on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

William T. Hornaday posted:

Thanks. Here's more.

Making me want to sign up for a membership at the Portland Zoo. Those are great.

Here's a boring old North American Ungulate

Mule Deer by No Small Wave, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Good lord those are beautiful. Where are you taking these exactly?

Various zoos.

Blue-Crowned Motmot by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Ring-Tailed Lemur by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Black And White Ruffed Lemur by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Cinereous Vulture by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Yup, I'm going to need a more powerful zoom lens.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Yup, I'm going to need a more powerful zoom lens.

I need to not feel weird about taking my 400mm to the zoo.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I need to not feel weird about taking my 400mm to the zoo.

I can't imagine any reason why you should feel weird bringing it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Neither can I, but I still do. Ok, gonna do it next time I've got a free afternoon since I only live 10 blocks from the Woodland Park Zoo.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Eh, its annoying when a bunch of people do the "Woah check out National Geographic over here!" jokes all day

Out of curiosity, what are you generally shooting with?

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 24, 2014

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

My standard gear is a Canon 7D, a 70-200 2.8L IS, a 12 mm extension tube, a 580EXII, and a 24-70 2.8L (that I almost never actually end up using.) I'm gonna be getting a 400 5.6L sometime soon which should be fun, but honestly the 70-200 is my favorite thing in the world and I'll probably still be using it 90% of the time.

I've never had any sort of huge issue with people giving me crap for my camera. Occasionally I'll have people tell me, "Wow, that's a nice camera" and "Ooh, there's a good shot over here" (which it never is.) Just bring some headphones and make it clear that you're ignoring people.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I know you gave us a write-up a while ago about your techniques, both shooting and editing, but I was wondering specifically if you had any advice regarding shooting through glass.

Also, are all those fantastic poses the result of luck and patience, or do you do anything to get the animal's attention? From the text under your avatar I'm expecting the answer is NOT "tap on the glass". Unless the otters are underfed, I suppose.

Also also, make a drat book already. drat the lawyers, full speed ahead! I'd buy the poo poo out of William T. Hornaday's Big Book of Animals.

EDIT: I really wanted to ask about the headphones. Does that work? I find when I'm wearing headphones people just come up and talk at me regardless.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

My standard gear is a Canon 7D, a 70-200 2.8L IS, a 12 mm extension tube, a 580EXII, and a 24-70 2.8L (that I almost never actually end up using.) I'm gonna be getting a 400 5.6L sometime soon which should be fun, but honestly the 70-200 is my favorite thing in the world and I'll probably still be using it 90% of the time.

I've never had any sort of huge issue with people giving me crap for my camera. Occasionally I'll have people tell me, "Wow, that's a nice camera" and "Ooh, there's a good shot over here" (which it never is.) Just bring some headphones and make it clear that you're ignoring people.

I had my 300/2.8 at the San Diego zoo a while ago and got a bunch of comments. That's a bit more conspicuous than a 70-200 though. The extension tube and headphones are great ideas, I'll have to keep that in mind.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: I really wanted to ask about the headphones. Does that work? I find when I'm wearing headphones people just come up and talk at me regardless.

It works very well. I've used that trick for shooting before. And if you still want to hear whats going on around you, you don't have to have it plugged in to anything. Just put the plug in your pocket and shrug when someone starts talking to you.

It's a very helpful trick.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Eh, its annoying when a bunch of people do the "Woah check out National Geographic over here!" jokes all day
To be fair, that's preferable to the other occupational hazards: being labelled a terrorist or a pedo.

The one that annoys me is when you put up a temporary hide and people feel the need to come over and investigate or loudly ask what you're watching (answer: nothing now)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

To be fair, that's preferable to the other occupational hazards: being labelled a terrorist or a pedo.

The one that annoys me is when you put up a temporary hide and people feel the need to come over and investigate or loudly ask what you're watching (answer: nothing now)

:agreed:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
On the subject of shooting through glass. Does anyone carry cleaning cloths with them for the sole purpose of cleaning all the finger prints and snot off to get a clearer shot? I did this last time I went to the zoo. Not going to lie, I felt weird cleaning out a spot to shoot through, seemed to help though.

Anyway, Have a grouse.

Grouse by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I know you gave us a write-up a while ago about your techniques, both shooting and editing, but I was wondering specifically if you had any advice regarding shooting through glass.

Also, are all those fantastic poses the result of luck and patience, or do you do anything to get the animal's attention? From the text under your avatar I'm expecting the answer is NOT "tap on the glass". Unless the otters are underfed, I suppose.

Also also, make a drat book already. drat the lawyers, full speed ahead! I'd buy the poo poo out of William T. Hornaday's Big Book of Animals.

Shooting through glass is really hit or miss. The main problem with the stuff at zoos is that it's primarily built for strength, with optical clarity a distance second. Sometimes the windows are glass, sometimes they're acrylic, sometimes they're polycarbonate, sometimes they're a combination these and/or other space-age materials. But regardless what it’s made out of, smaller is usually better.
Herps and inverts don’t require much strength for containment/safety purposes and the exhibits are small enough that the windows can afford to be like 1/4 to 1/2” thick. But as both the animals and exhibits start to get larger, that’s when poo poo starts to get crazy. Birds and small mammals can be around 1” thick, carnivores and great apes can be around 2-3” thick, and hippos and other exhibits with underwater viewing can easily be 4” thick or more. All the crazy refraction from that coupled with the less-than-optimal optical quality of the glass (e.g., the windows in our great ape exhibits consist of three 1” sheets of bulletproof glass laminated together,) and you’re already fighting an uphill battle before you even touch your camera. On top of this, the thicker windows usually have a weird bluish-green color cast (that somehow seems to change from photo to photo) and any direct sunlight falling on them will make everything look hazy. So it’s super easy to end up with a photo that looks soft, has a splotchy and inconsistent focal plane, low contrast, and looks like you ran it through a lovely Instagram filter. Your best bet is pretty much to be as perpendicular to the glass as possible.

Also, if you’re using a hood and can get right up to the glass, shooting straight on will more or less eliminate any issues with reflections you might have. I do tend to get a lot of people coming up to me complaining about reflections (right after they stood 10 feet back from the glass to try and take a photo.) It’s really pretty simple: if whatever is on your side of the glass is brighter than what’s on the other side, you’re gonna see a reflection. And you don’t necessarily have to mash your camera right up to the glass every time; if you can find something dark in the reflection, you can shoot through that. Heck, if you wear a dark/black shirt you can be able to stand back a few feet from the glass and, as long as you’re shooting through the reflection of the shirt, still be able to get a clean image. And because I don’t want to be limited to shooting perpendicular to the glass all the time, I made a secondary hood (out of a strip of velcro and some black foam sheet that I got from a craft store) that’s angled at 45-degrees which I can just throw on the end of my hood when I need it. Although anything more than that and everything will get pretty wonky with the refraction, even with the thinner stuff.

Dirty glass is another issue, but usually is not at all noticeable when you’ve got a telephoto right up against the glass. Bringing something to clean the glass is probably a handy thing to have, but I’ve just been too lazy to actually do it. Plus I do most of my photography first thing in the morning and the windows are usually cleaned at this time; bonus is that there are far fewer people wandering around, the light is better than the rest of the day, and many of the animals are most active then. Honestly, I’ve found the visitor side of the glass to be far dirtier than the animal side; in fact, I actively avoid touching the windows because I routinely get to see how many disgusting children have licked and sneezed all over it.

For the most part, I’m just capturing the animals doing whatever they’re doing. It’s a lot of patience and waiting, but it really helps to be an animal person and be able to recognize patterns in behavior, to know the natural histories of the species to understand their mannerisms and tendencies, and to anticipate how they’ll act. And taking a whole shitload of pictures and throwing out most of them.
Knocking on the glass is a waste of time and guaranteed to make the keepers hate you. And depending on the individual animals and species, it can become a major source of stress. But really, it achieves nothing. The vast majority of the animals have learned to completely zone out everything that is happening beyond the glass and won’t respond to or acknowledge you in any way. Some of the primates species may be interested in certain things and come over just to check them out, but they’re not going to come running down to see you just because you’re pounding your fists on the window or making kissing noises at them (I seriously don’t understand why people do this.)

Headphones work fantastically most of the time. Generally people know not to bother you, and you also don’t have to hear the inane comments of the horrible morons around you and their screaming children. You’ll occasionally get that one obnoxious person who can’t take the hint and just has to know if you work for the zoo or how much your camera cost, but they’re usually satisfied with a one-word answer and I’ve never had any issues with someone who just won’t leave me alone.

That's a lot of words, so here's some pictures to even it out.

Coquerel's Sifaka by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Victoria Crowned Pigeon by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Yellow-Banded Poison Dart Frog by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Oh, and bring a tripod for herps.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

A couple from Colorado.

IMG_9356 by EPICAC, on Flickr

IMG_9246 by EPICAC, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This weekend I went camping at Blake Island, WA. The bird shots are over in the bird thread.

Black-tailed deer. There was a small herd that seemed to prefer grazing near the campground.

The youngest member of the herd. Kept grazing next to our campsite.

The raccoons of course were fearless. This one knew to use the puddles in front of the water faucets to wash his paws and drink from.

:3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

DSC_0157 by witchinator, on Flickr

DSC_0205 by witchinator, on Flickr

DSC_0045 by witchinator, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Just starting to go through 6 weeks of photos from Ghana. These Agama lizards were everywhere and very cooperative for photos. Sadly there weren't any chances to see big animals, and the single monkey and pangolin I saw were being sold as very ripe dinners. :(

Stately Agama by Icybacon, on Flickr

Love the Pika!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the advice, William T. Hornaday.

A few more from my visit to the Calgary zoo at christmas:
Asian Elephant 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Snow Leopard 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Snow Leopard 4 by Execudork, on Flickr
Snow Leopard 5 by Execudork, on Flickr
Fallow Deer by Execudork, on Flickr
Markhor 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Interesting... does that mean that your shots are generally handheld with IS, or are you using a tripod?

Also, what's the extension tube for? Do you find it makes any difference at that zoom range?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Does dead-in-mysterious-circumstances wildlife count for this thread?

This porcupine apparently died in this tree.
SD 136 Dead Porcupine 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Porcupines climb trees as part of their normal behaviour - they eat bark and other tree parts, and they will climb a tree to escape a perceived threat. This one had been dead here for I think a couple of days. It's right next to a country highway that sees some, but not much, traffic. People will shoot anything, and I didn't thoroughly investigate.

My thoughts: 1) Disease 2) Shot by small-calibre bullet (e.g. .22), bullet entry wound in a position not clearly visible from the road 3) hit by car, climbed tree, died of injuries.

What kills porcupines?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Calgary Zoo, you say? I'm there often.

Oh you by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Cougar siblings by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Amur Tiger by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Eurasian Lynx by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Great Grey Owl by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Giraffe by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Mandrill by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Mongoose lemur by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poor bear got his nose installed crooked.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

Calgary Zoo, you say? I'm there often.
Amur Tiger by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Awesome. Those tigers were some of my favourites.
Tigers in the Snow 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Tigers in the Snow 8 by Execudork, on Flickr
Tigers in the Snow 9 by Execudork, on Flickr
Tigers in the Snow 15 by Execudork, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Spent most of my day at the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in NH.

That Frog by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Smug by cha_reckoning, on Flickr
I found this guy up high in a bird house. Looked so proud of himself for getting in there.

Owl by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Otter 2 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

'Merica by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

coyote by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

-CHA fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 4, 2014

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Jimlad posted:

Interesting... does that mean that your shots are generally handheld with IS, or are you using a tripod?

Also, what's the extension tube for? Do you find it makes any difference at that zoom range?

The only time I use a tripod is with herps, because the lighting usually sucks and they tend to just sit perfectly still for very long periods of time, so it's pretty convenient for slow shutter speeds and focus stacking. Otherwise everything is handheld; just relying on available light (when outside) or a flash bounced at the ceiling and/or wall (when inside.)

The extension tube cuts way down on the minimum focusing distance of the lens. When on a zoom lens it tends to gently caress everything all to hell and can be a bit of a headache to use, but you kinda learn to deal with it after a while. I use it a ton on my 70-200; that's what most of my closeups are with.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Wow, I'm surprised they let you use flash. I always thought normally that's a bad idea with wildlife? Anyway, I think you've inspired me enough to go and try photographing animals. I just got a nice new 135mm lens so next weekend it'll be off to the zoo for me.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Jimlad posted:

Wow, I'm surprised they let you use flash. I always thought normally that's a bad idea with wildlife? Anyway, I think you've inspired me enough to go and try photographing animals. I just got a nice new 135mm lens so next weekend it'll be off to the zoo for me.

'They' is basically me.

Don't use flash on nocturnal exhibits, or if there's a sign telling you not to, or someone tells you to stop, or it's clearly bothering the animals. Otherwise it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
small wildlife

(Male) Banded Demoiselle aka Calopteryx splendens