Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly I'm looking at the many uses for Generator Servant right now.

Maybe red can side it in during the control matchup, hold open 1 red with a servant on the board with some other things, use it for the random burn spell you previously couldn't play when they verdict.

Alternatively play it in RG monsters to ramp into that turn 3 Polukranos/Turn 4 Arbor Colossus and give it haste :getin:

Now that I think about it. Turn 1 Elf, Turn 2 Servant, Turn 3 Polukranos with Haste + Elf sounds pretty good.

Enduring Renewal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly I'm looking at the many uses for Generator Servant right now.

Maybe red can side it in during the control matchup, hold open 1 red with a servant on the board with some other things, use it for the random burn spell you previously couldn't play when they verdict.

Alternatively play it in RG monsters to ramp into that turn 3 Polukranos/Turn 4 Arbor Colossus and give it haste :getin:

Now that I think about it. Turn 1 Elf, Turn 2 Servant, Turn 3 Polukranos with Haste + Elf sounds pretty good.

What would you cut for it though? Caryatids? I don't think it's worth it against most matchups.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

What would you cut for it though? Caryatids? I don't think it's worth it against most matchups.

Well, BTE goes out soon, there's a potential slot.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

BTE is a lot of what makes green devotion tick right now though. That's a lot of devotion to lose in rotation. It still dies to a lot of sweepers, sure, but even for a few turns it helps bump a lot of things into play with Nykthos.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Well, BTE goes out soon, there's a potential slot.

RG Monsters doesn't play BTE. Green devotion does.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There will be several hundred new cards on Khans, I don't really see the point about wildly speculating about post-rotation standard until we have some idea what's in the next set.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Elyv posted:

There will be several hundred new cards on Khans, I don't really see the point about wildly speculating about post-rotation standard until we have some idea what's in the next set.

mono black uses almost 100% RTR cards. Khans will introduce maybe *maybe* 50-100 playable cards. That would be an utter ton for a set.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mortimer posted:

mono black uses almost 100% RTR cards. Khans will introduce maybe *maybe* 50-100 playable cards. That would be an utter ton for a set.

Monoblack loses threats and underworld connections post rotation. There will probably be a thoughtseize-hero's downfal deck, because both of those cards are super powerful, and threats aren't that hard to replace; the hard part will be finding something to replace underworld connections. I really want to know what's going to be in Khans now.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mortimer posted:

Monoblack uses like 7 cards that rotate? mutavault, desecration demon, pack rat, underworld connections, doomblade, lifebane zombie, duress sideboard. If you count the current multicolored, then a few more cards, blood crypt rakdos return dreadbore doomblade.

I think it is fair to say there will be one or two playable black creatures, duals for br/gb, some efficient kill spell to replace doomblade. The real loss is going to be mutavault. That may or may not see a replacement, and may hurt the deck a good bit. It could always run Nykthos and try to ramp into Liliana Vess? Monoblack isn't gutted so long as grey merchant and thoughseize are around imo.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Monoblack uses like 7 cards that rotate? mutavault, desecration demon, pack rat, underworld connections, doomblade, lifebane zombie, duress sideboard. If you count the current multicolored, then a few more cards, blood crypt rakdos return dreadbore doomblade.

I think it is fair to say there will be one or two playable black creatures, duals for br/gb, some efficient kill spell to replace doomblade. The real loss is going to be mutavault. That may or may not see a replacement, and may hurt the deck a good bit. It could always run Nykthos and try to ramp into Liliana Vess? Monoblack isn't gutted so long as grey merchant and thoughseize are around imo.

Well, mutavault was mostly used to pressure UW and pump pack rat tokens. I think the bigger loss is going to be pack rat. It will have access to sign in blood instead of underworld connections, which is cheaper, but doesn't buff devotion. It's removal remains very effective, with access to bile blight and hero's downfall. It's disruption remains good with Thoughtseize and I wouldn't count brain maggot out of the equation either. Plus it gains an awesome sideboard card in Liliana Vess for the control matchups.

I think the deck will still be a great choice, and will still be good. Grey Merchant is still such a potent pay-off card that some mono-black midrange deck I think is inevitable. Though, hopefully, it sinks to tier 1.5 or 2 as I've seen enough hot swamp on swamp action.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Nobody is losing out by pack rat going away. gently caress that dumb card. Same thing to mutavault.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Nobody is losing out by pack rat going away. gently caress that dumb card. Same thing to mutavault.

Heh. I'm thinking about driving mono-black at gameday just to make people groan at the sight of pack rat on last time.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sampatrick posted:

Monoblack loses threats and underworld connections post rotation. There will probably be a thoughtseize-hero's downfal deck, because both of those cards are super powerful, and threats aren't that hard to replace; the hard part will be finding something to replace underworld connections. I really want to know what's going to be in Khans now.

Indulgent Tormentor and Sign in Blood are in M15.

Now, if you want to talk about decks needing help from Khans, we should talk about Monoblue.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Count Bleck posted:

Also, one of the Souls, a cycle people though would be EDH fodder, is standard playable.
Which one? New Phyrexia? Shandalar?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Somebody will attempt to fill Desecration Demon's place with Master of the Feast, and when they do, I can only hope I will meet them at FJM and laugh at their suffering.

E: Wait, Generator Servant into Master of the Feast. Dammit, it's me, I am the fool, because I really want to try that now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Veyrall posted:

Which one? New Phyrexia? Shandalar?

New Phyrexia.

There is literally nothing wrong with a 6/6 for 6 with trample and the ability to make everything you own wrath-proof.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Man I love cube: I had lethal on the board, I get brain freezed to 0 cards left in my deck and then my opponent casts time twister.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Count Bleck posted:

Also, one of the Souls, a cycle people though would be EDH fodder, is standard playable.

Which one? I'm thinking New Phyrexia. Maybe Theros but it might not be so hot in constructed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nissa at 45 TCG Low. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That fuckin maximum overhype.

It's killing me because I am building Mono Green Toolbox and I was gonna slot in a few Nissas in place of one M14 Garruk and something else.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Nissa at 45 TCG Low. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I can't wait to watch this card loving crater.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It'll drop but won't the number of people buying them at this high price keep it inflated? People might refuse to sell it below a certain point just because they were impatient and bought them now. People don't like feeling like they lost money.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Which one? I'm thinking New Phyrexia. Maybe Theros but it might not be so hot in constructed.

Soul of New Phyrexia.

It'll drop but won't the number of people buying them at this high price keep it inflated? People might refuse to sell it below a certain point just because they were impatient and bought them now. People don't like feeling like they lost money.

I felt like I got shafted on Coursers for 8 bucks. Until it hit 20 and I felt better because Green is my favorite color in the current standard.

Now I need to open them in my Box or wait about 2 weeks to finish my Green Toolbox.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

New Phyrexia.

There is literally nothing wrong with a 6/6 for 6 with trample and the ability to make everything you own wrath-proof.

Nah, it's garbage. "Indestructible" is basically the most overrated ability you can put on a card. Everyone thought Rootborn Defenses was going to be a playable card, too. A 6/6 for 6 with trample is nothing special -- for that much mana you can typically get a 6/6 with *flying*. For a 6-mana 6/6 to be playable, it needs to have a very good ability attached to it. That indestructible thing is way too expensive and way too situational, and you don't get to use it if the Soul is exiled or bounced.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Jace architect and Liliana of the veil followed this boom, I was surprised nothing from M14/Theros did last fall (Garruk was the closest like people mentioned). Both climbed to $50 as demand for states(?) grew. After christmas then they both cratered and dropped to around $20. Liliana went back up to $30ish because she was drat good, don't remember where jace went but both got pretty low the spring before their rotation. I think Liliana got as low as $15 before shooting back up to where she is now.

I'm surprised jace and elspeth stayed as low as they did last year with control staying a competitive deck.

Everyone from competitive PT/FNM players to sunday league casuals want 3+ nissas at my store, I see her rising a bit more especially if she shows up on SCG or other netdecks.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Nissa is really just bitcoin guys

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rujasu posted:

Nah, it's garbage. "Indestructible" is basically the most overrated ability you can put on a card. Everyone thought Rootborn Defenses was going to be a playable card, too. A 6/6 for 6 with trample is nothing special -- for that much mana you can typically get a 6/6 with *flying*. For a 6-mana 6/6 to be playable, it needs to have a very good ability attached to it. That indestructible thing is way too expensive and way too situational, and you don't get to use it if the Soul is exiled or bounced.

Rootborn Defense didn't do anything on an empty board. SoNP does by being a big-ol creature with a semi-relevant ability and also relevant if its killed prematurely.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Oh man I wish that Perish gets printed in Khans, just to gently caress with the Green decks. Probably won't happen, but the thought of it makes me smile.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

neetengie posted:

Oh man I wish that Perish gets printed in Khans, just to gently caress with the Green decks. Probably won't happen, but the thought of it makes me smile.

They don't make or reprint good color hosers anymore.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Homo for Hitler posted:

Nissa is really just bitcoin guys

Whenever I have a libertarian neckbeard (and there are a lot of them) make retarded comments at my LGS, I point them straight at the Magic and ask them if they want that level of irregularity in the actual market.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Brownhat posted:

Indulgent Tormentor and Sign in Blood are in M15.

Now, if you want to talk about decks needing help from Khans, we should talk about Monoblue.

Sign in Blood is great but Indulgent Tormentor is, I think, borderline at best; it's a 5 drop that dies to everything and doesn't give you any value until you untap.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Not really. People opening them and shipping them will lower the price despite people unwilling to part with them for less than the dumb prices they're paying.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

That only tends to be somewhat true for hype cards that have a limited supply (i.e. older debut set with no reprint) like Disrupting Shoal, which went from $1-3 bucks until TWoo hyped it in something terrible and it shot up to $15 and hung there for a little bit and now you can pick it up for $6-8 bucks despite it never really seeing serious play. With in print/very recent cards that tends to not be true. Chandra, Pyromaster preordered for ~$25 and dropped pretty quickly to ~$10 until it showed up in two top 8 decks at GP Detroit and it briefly shot up to $40+ and then steadily declining until today, where you can preorder an M15 copy from SCG for $5.99. Unwarranted hype spikes seem to always come down outside of reserve list cards, the degree to which they do come down though seems to be tied to availability. One idea I've seen floated is that there's a sizeable segment of players who pick up playsets of older hype train cards as they start to rise/peak so they have them to play with if they turn out to be good and if the cards don't they just sit on them to skip the hassle of selling and rebuying if they do turn out to be good later on and spike in price again. That may account for why the price doesn't drop back down to the original price. The wizard poker market has been relatively stable recently, Nissa is the first mass buyout in awhile that I can remember outside of the run on Wild Nacatyl and Bitterblossom after their unbanning.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nissa does seem like a better Wildspeaker to me. It's certainly useful.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Rootborn Defense didn't do anything on an empty board. SoNP does by being a big-ol creature with a semi-relevant ability and also relevant if its killed prematurely.

Basically, a six-drop needs more than a semi-relevant ability to be playable. If they remove it, they're probably not all that worried about the ability -- so what if you can pay five mana to counter their next removal spell? They already removed your big threat.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

neetengie posted:

And to make things fair, they will also reprint Choke, Chill, Karma and Dread of Night.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Retcon posted:

And to make things fair, they will also reprint Choke, Chill, Karma and Dread of Night.

A standard of double color hate cycle seems pretty awful.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dr. Stab posted:

Nissa does seem like a better Wildspeaker to me. It's certainly useful.

She's really not. Garruk is one mana less for the same starting loyalty, does not have to just untap Forests, can immediately defend himself (which Nissa cannot do if you tapped out to cast her), and has a super relevant "ultimate" that can be used the turn after he comes into play, as opposed to waiting 4 turns for Nissa's.

Wildspeaker is ridiculous, Nissa is solid value depending on the meta.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm legit confused by Nissa. She's a really solid walker for sure but just for clarification is the price spike seriously just the product of speculation? It doesn't seem like anyone is chomping at the bit to actually play her here and now. Is there something other than the janky Chain Veil combo that people are seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I'm legit confused by Nissa. She's a really solid walker for sure but just for clarification is the price spike seriously just the product of speculation? It doesn't seem like anyone is chomping at the bit to actually play her here and now. Is there something other than the janky Chain Veil combo that people are seeing?

It's because literally every single player who plays green anything in nearly any format wants 2-3 today.

E: I bought a set at 17ea, just listed my set on ebay for 50ea, let's see how fast that goes...

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 17, 2014

• Locked thread