Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

TaurusOxford posted:

It's like Youtube is begging me to use adblocker at this point.

Well, certain youtubers are starting to migrate away from youtube and use their own websites to better promote themselves and establish independence (Team Four Star, TBFP, etc.), so using adblock for youtube is beginning to look less and less scummy to actual good content creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ApeHawk posted:

Well, certain youtubers are starting to migrate away from youtube and use their own websites to better promote themselves and establish independence (Team Four Star, TBFP, etc.), so using adblock for youtube is beginning to look less and less scummy to actual good content creators.

Yeah, the moving offsite thing has become weirdly popular. The Did You Know Gaming team hosts their videos on a website they helped start up called Normal Boots and posts them later to YouTube. I guess YouTube is becoming less and less welcoming to people who post gameplay videos and so setting up alternate video sites is a thing now. I know I would love to have a second host available in case something happens to my YouTube account.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Youtube proved that it literally does not give a poo poo about its user base when it started the Google+ integration bullshit. I'm not sure there was a single person who was actually pleased about it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Team Four Star and Did You Know Gaming are both running the same unskippable 20-second ad on their site videos, not really an improvement over YouTube for me as a consumer.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Roar posted:

Youtube proved that it literally does not give a poo poo about its user base when it started the Google+ integration bullshit. I'm not sure there was a single person who was actually pleased about it.

I was pleased that it created the situation where people couldn't just poo poo out a random troll comment unless they had a Google+ account, but that also required them to care enough to actually make one. Then again I'm one of those people that consider 99.9% of YouTube comments some of the most pointless things to exist on the Internet in general and I've been mad at YouTube ever since they made them unhideable by normal means years ago.

The Google+ integration was basically a badly handled way of trying to put all of the Google-owned stuff under one account umbrella, and that backfired immensely given that if I wanted to use YouTube as my normal Gmail username it removed all my subscriptions and other information, thus rendering the whole thing pointless.

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, the moving offsite thing has become weirdly popular. The Did You Know Gaming team hosts their videos on a website they helped start up called Normal Boots and posts them later to YouTube. I guess YouTube is becoming less and less welcoming to people who post gameplay videos and so setting up alternate video sites is a thing now. I know I would love to have a second host available in case something happens to my YouTube account.

Two Best Friends Play have also just launched their website, which they're using to mirror YouTube comment as well as archive all their videos in case of Content ID shenanigans, as well as put up videos that Content ID would immediately block (they weren't, for example, able to do a Let's Play of Peace Walker because of Content ID which I thought was a bit odd since didn't Chip & Ironicus do one?)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

The reason it was poo poo? The engineers at YouTube didn't put any effort into it either, because they all hate Google+ too.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Polsy posted:

Team Four Star and Did You Know Gaming are both running the same unskippable 20-second ad on their site videos, not really an improvement over YouTube for me as a consumer.

I never said it was for your convenience that they were doing this, they just didn't like the way YouTube was trending and decided to do their own thing.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

I never said it was for your convenience that they were doing this, they just didn't like the way YouTube was trending and decided to do their own thing.

Sure, that was more directed at the implication this had anything to do with using adblock or not.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

The reason it was poo poo? The engineers at YouTube didn't put any effort into it either, because they all hate Google+ too.

Are you sure that YT engineer don't just hate their users with a passion? Because the latest change that now every video you click from a user's video page automatically puts you into a playlist of all their uploads kinda points that way.

vvvv
A few days now, but it's awful.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 17, 2014

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

HenryEx posted:

Are you sure that YT engineer don't just hate their users with a passion? Because the latest change that now every video you click from a user's video page automatically puts you into a playlist of all their uploads kinda points that way.

Hasn't it been that way for awhile?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HenryEx posted:

The fact that I need to go through like four screens to get to my video manager now is really weird as well.

Oh, and it looks like the YogsCast can't stay out of trouble and their "Yogventures" Kickstarted game isn't ever coming out and instead they're giving away keys to another kickstarter game called TUG.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014
No wait it's gotten better!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

"Grow your audience" sounds like a great tip, I don't know why everybody doesn't do it!

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
I don't know. I think "Captivate your audience" is much more helpful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dan Hardcastle and I think Emma Blackery (the one who made the "gently caress You Google+" song) have basically outright said that they only use YouTube because it's the biggest video platform and there's basically no way for them to make a living off of their stuff at this point without taking advantage of it.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Captivate your audience with twice as many mid-roll ads!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Boxturret posted:

Hasn't it been that way for awhile?

No, it isn't even the case actually. The videos you click on will only be in a playlist if you found them from within a playlist in the first place.

Also: Mid-roll ads made me a youtube superstar. I drown in LP$$$ and LPussy.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

IGgy IGsen posted:

No, it isn't even the case actually. The videos you click on will only be in a playlist if you found them from within a playlist in the first place.

I think they mean if you click on a video on the person's channel page, it automatically puts you into the person's uploads playlist.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It seems to consider the entire uploaded videos page as a single playlist, and plays them all in reverse order.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Boxturret posted:

I think they mean if you click on a video on the person's channel page, it automatically puts you into the person's uploads playlist.

I actually tried that before making my earlier post and it didn't happen. Maybe it's one of those things that they roll out to some people before others get them. If so: Yeah, bad feature.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

It seems to consider the entire uploaded videos page as a single playlist, and plays them all in reverse order.

Which is hideously stupid. I tried to watch the uploaded videos of a channel in the uploaded order and had to keep intentionally cycling backwards in the playlist instead of letting it go by itself.

I don't even know why they would do that. Does YouTube just not understand what "chronological order" means? Do they think all the videos are uploaded by the channel creator backwards?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Polsy posted:

I think I'm the only one around who still watches stuff on TV where you get five minutes worth of ads for every 25 minutes worth of content. Twenty seconds honestly seem like nothing, as do nine ads you can each skip after five seconds over the course of one hour of content.

I mean sure the whole midroll thing was/is a bug and should be fixed and all that, but when I heard about this I thought the problem was bigger than pressing Skip Ad a couple more times than usual.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

I think I'm the only one around who still watches stuff on TV where you get five minutes worth of ads for every 25 minutes worth of content. Twenty seconds honestly seem like nothing, as do nine ads you can each skip after five seconds over the course of one hour of content.

I mean sure the whole midroll thing was/is a bug and should be fixed and all that, but when I heard about this I thought the problem was bigger than pressing Skip Ad a couple more times than usual.

Also, the ads are how the people make their money from the content. I don't mind ignoring the video for 20 seconds to pay a guy for his work.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

a cartoon duck posted:

I think at least part of the problem is that TV is built around those ad breaks. So they'll base their scenes around the breaks. Whereas if they just stopped in the middle of the scene and played the ad, it'd be much more annoying.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I like watching YT videos precisely because I don't have to watch ads period.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
My job can literally be summed up as 'scheduling ads for TV'. You generally have about 2 hours of ads during the day, with more during primetime - and that's not counting all the promos and other crap you shove in just to fill up space. What I'm trying to say is, 20 seconds on a video is absolutely nothing.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Ads seem to get repetitive a lot quicker on Youtube, though this might vary depending on how 'targetable' YT thinks you are. I often see the same handful of pre-roll ads, and when the mid-roll ads were glitching out on the TBFP videos, I'd see the exact same soap ad three or four times in the same video.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I feel like TV channels broadcast a lot of the same ads too. It's even worse because the ad breaks can last several minutes instead of five-seconds-and-a-skip.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

It also has to do with CPM - YouTube actually has one of the lowest payout ratios for video hosting. Moving offsite and rolling your own (or even using other video hosts) actually nets you a lot more money per ad - I think even a factor of ten.

The problem is that YouTube is sort of the go-to for video content, so you don't get even a tenth of the volume. The trick people are trying here is more like "get big on YouTube, see if you can bring your audience elsewhere."

Note: I am actually not sure why YouTube's CPMs are so low. Maybe the vast majority of viewers on YouTube don't click through or convert, compared the other sites?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

sout posted:

I feel like TV channels broadcast a lot of the same ads too. It's even worse because the ad breaks can last several minutes instead of five-seconds-and-a-skip.

The problems are that you're (almost) guaranteed to see to an ad when the YT video changes. TV, if you channel surf, you may or may not get an ad.

Since people have, er, solved this with ad block, business are trying to squeeze what they can out of the people who still watch ads. What's an LPer to do!!! (I think the successful ones supplement income with like merch and Twitch subscriptions)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

sout posted:

I would kill for new YouTube ads every now and again, though. Somehow I don't need to hear about how someone with a YouTube channel wanted to combine her two favorite hobbies...baking and video games before being assaulted with a dozen Minecraft and Angry Birds cakes she's put together for her YouTube channel every time I click on a video. Interestingly, my wife and I discovered if you have a Chromecast and feed YouTube videos to the TV that way you completely skip all ads.

slowbeef posted:

Note: I am actually not sure why YouTube's CPMs are so low. Maybe the vast majority of viewers on YouTube don't click through or convert, compared the other sites?

I think they are probably running some ancient formula on the CPM side from when they were encouraging people to post content and get some small kickback from it. I don't think anyone envisioned YouTube-as-a-job being a thing and Google has no good reason to change the payrates because people post post post videos at the low rate anyways.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I know some websites of TV sites put recent episodes up for streaming and block the video when adblock is detected, sometimes with a friendly reminder that hosting and stuff costs money so just go watch an innoffensive 20 second ad and be done with it.

I'm kinda surprised YouTube hasn't done that yet. I dunno whether it's just YouTube being its regular incompetent self or because they're actually concerned about the backlash of nerds being angry about ads when there's pretty much no decent YouTube alternative left anyway.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm kinda surprised YouTube hasn't done that yet. I dunno whether it's just YouTube being its regular incompetent self or because they're actually concerned about the backlash of nerds being angry about ads when there's pretty much no decent YouTube alternative left anyway.

I am too, frankly. Twitch has that option at the user level (meaning, the streamer can turn it on or off).

One thing I've heard is that Google is very developer-driven; a lot of business decisions are made by people with IT-heavy backgrounds. I really don't know the truth behind this - I'd imagine it has to do more with implementation than 100% of their product offerings, but it is something they're reputable for. Maybe Google's feeling is that restricting AdBlock outright is too harmful to its audience?

It might also be just a battle you can't win, a la piracy? Like if you take a measure to circumvent AdBlock, AdBlock's next version has something to circumvent that - like telling the server (falsely) that the ad was downloaded and viewed even when it wasn't. Maybe there's something tricky about glueing an ad to the video content itself so it's not detectable as an ad? Really not sure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It might be the plan to keep Youtube more in the mainstream, so that even if its ads get blocked enough people default to Youtube to make up the difference.

Of course, Google may have some crazy ulterior motive for running Youtube where they get something they value more than ad revenue out of the deal. That's their M.O. for most things.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Welp. Hello automatic translation.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Saith posted:

My job can literally be summed up as 'scheduling ads for TV'. You generally have about 2 hours of ads during the day, with more during primetime - and that's not counting all the promos and other crap you shove in just to fill up space. What I'm trying to say is, 20 seconds on a video is absolutely nothing.

Yeah but, the problem with your point, kinda, is that people aren't really mad about ad saturation, about seeing too much ad. It's not like a meter in The Sims where it fills up and then if you don't deal with it people piss themselves and staple sandwiches to the walls. It's more like a binary switch. Either there is no ad and all is well, or there is ad and they are annoyed. I know it's kind of an entitled way to think but that's just kinda how it goes. 'S'why Adblock exists.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It might be the plan to keep Youtube more in the mainstream, so that even if its ads get blocked enough people default to Youtube to make up the difference.

Of course, Google may have some crazy ulterior motive for running Youtube where they get something they value more than ad revenue out of the deal. That's their M.O. for most things.

Google is a Bond villain with a decent PR-Guy.
The whole "don't be evil" thing they do seems to sell really well.
But then there are recently announced changes to the royalty system which screw over indie musicians and favor the labels significantly, which is just what I'd call evil.
As far as LP goes I don't really remember any "evil" acts. Unless you count the fact that the way the copyright ID match system is implemented is very very flawed because it's unreliable and there's companys that were basically formed only to abuse it.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 19, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

There are very few good things that I can say about google or YouTube but it's like a katamari.

Speaking of ads and lack of them, I really like that Patreon has become a thing. Sure, some people are abusing it but I really like that if I like someone's content, I can spare a few bucks per month to enjoy it ad free with some extra benefits.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

slowbeef posted:

I am too, frankly. Twitch has that option at the user level (meaning, the streamer can turn it on or off).

One thing I've heard is that Google is very developer-driven; a lot of business decisions are made by people with IT-heavy backgrounds. I really don't know the truth behind this - I'd imagine it has to do more with implementation than 100% of their product offerings, but it is something they're reputable for. Maybe Google's feeling is that restricting AdBlock outright is too harmful to its audience?

It might also be just a battle you can't win, a la piracy? Like if you take a measure to circumvent AdBlock, AdBlock's next version has something to circumvent that - like telling the server (falsely) that the ad was downloaded and viewed even when it wasn't. Maybe there's something tricky about glueing an ad to the video content itself so it's not detectable as an ad? Really not sure.

I'm pretty sure the only way for and ad to not be detectable it would have to be encoded into the video itself but then you could just fast forward so its an unwinnable situation for google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FailAtMagic posted:

I'm pretty sure the only way for and ad to not be detectable it would have to be encoded into the video itself but then you could just fast forward so its an unwinnable situation for google

Yeah, thinking on it, either something differentiates the ads from the video to the player that prevents you from skipping them, which something client-side could potentially identify and exploit in some manner to allow for blocking them, or nothing differentiates the ads from the video to the player, which means that nothing prevents you from skipping them manually.

Unless you integrated the ads into the video and then just didn't have any sort of player control at all, like old-school flash videos.

• Locked thread