Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

dennyk posted:

One thing to keep in mind: don't know how it's handled in the UK, but in the US, vacation/leave time is neither mandatory nor considered "pay" and an employer can generally deduct it for any reason they want, as long as it doesn't go against their own written policies and isn't applied in such a way as to discriminate against a protected class (race, religion, gender, etc.). If leave time is treated in a similar fashion in the UK, it's possible that it could be perfectly legal for them to deduct vacation time for being late (although once you run out of leave time, they can't start deducting actual pay).

Not in the UK. Every worker is legally entitled to 5.6 weeks of paid time off every year (employers can include bank (statutory) holidays) full stop end of story. The only people who don't get this are the self employed (contractors).

Also holiday pay comes under the general auspice of wages (like commission and bonuses) that cannot have deductions taken from them unless it's a statutory deduction (taxes), overpayment of salary or industrial action without fist being agreed (like in an employes terms and conditions of employment).

poo poo that's pissing me off. Being asked to clear some time to do some UAT testing on changes to the pension calculations on the payroll system, only to find out that it's actual testing and the person who knows what the hell is going on is on holiday until after it goes live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

poo poo that generally pisses me off: Sophos software, when I have to use it.

poo poo that I actually really enjoy: Sophos' marketing department, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgeaya7Yg4A

This is pretty great and every word is the goddamn truth.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Not in the UK. Every worker is legally entitled to 5.6 weeks of paid time off every year (employers can include bank (statutory) holidays) full stop end of story. The only people who don't get this are the self employed (contractors).

I'm Canadian and get three weeks of paid vacation. On top of this I have bank time, so I normally have one month of vacation a year.

What pisses me off is broken internal tools. I can't tell someone "It's not working because our internal tool sucks, is from the 70s, and runs on VAX." "Huh?" "I know we're a high-tech company!" "YES It's stupid, but that's the way it is."

Sigh.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
poo poo that doesn't piss me off - getting cake for fixing a printer

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Carpet posted:

poo poo that doesn't piss me off - getting cake for fixing a printer

Some dude dropped off a box of donuts once for fixing an issue with his MS Word that took me about 3 minutes to fix. And not lovely Dunkin' Donuts stuff, but good stuff from a local bakery. :buddy:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Pissing me off today - when my boss gives me poo poo for the code I've not written.

We've bits and pieces written by people that don't work here anymore, by people that didn't know what the gently caress they were writing and other poo poo; yet whenever something explodes it's personally my problem.
Bear in mind that I don't have problems with fixing stuff, but blaming me for these abominations starts to wear down my patience.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So the mdb file of a 90s software was corrupted after a pc freeze. poo poo happens, w/e, put the file from 2011 in since thats on the pc so they can use the attached device again. I suggested to maybe get the company to look at the file since what was recoverable with ontrack is not functional. Instead, my senior coworker asked me to look at the 2011 file (which our access cant even open anymore) and just fix the recovered one. All my attempts to tell him that I wont reverse engineer this database or software were ignored, just "figure it out".
Tried to install office 2k3, no license key around. I feel like I already did too much, if there arent any backups of this, tough luck. Apparently the department lost the printout ( which after being scanned is the legal archive format for this old system, only newer systems are digitally archived.) I cant magically reappear 1/3 of this file.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SEKCobra posted:

So the mdb file of a 90s software was corrupted after a pc freeze. poo poo happens, w/e, put the file from 2011 in since thats on the pc so they can use the attached device again. I suggested to maybe get the company to look at the file since what was recoverable with ontrack is not functional. Instead, my senior coworker asked me to look at the 2011 file (which our access cant even open anymore) and just fix the recovered one. All my attempts to tell him that I wont reverse engineer this database or software were ignored, just "figure it out".
Tried to install office 2k3, no license key around. I feel like I already did too much, if there arent any backups of this, tough luck. Apparently the department lost the printout ( which after being scanned is the legal archive format for this old system, only newer systems are digitally archived.) I cant magically reappear 1/3 of this file.

I magically found a database earlier when it turned up in some dfsr hidden folders, nobody claimed to have deleted it

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

People who don't listen are the worst. We told a client to get a static IP at their house to set up a VPN so she can RDP into her computer at work. My boss told the person, I told the person, but no static IP when I stopped by today :(

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stealthgerbil posted:

People who don't listen are the worst. We told a client to get a static IP at their house to set up a VPN so she can RDP into her computer at work. My boss told the person, I told the person, but no static IP when I stopped by today :(

I'm not good with computers

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Stealthgerbil posted:

"Oh well I just figured you could do it for me when you got here, I don't get any of that stuff"

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Stealthgerbil posted:

Many carriers don't even offer static public hosts for residential class service.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah or it's prohibitively expensive. Did they just mean ensure the computer has a static IP on their home network?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would you want a VPN and all the security issues that go along with that just to enable Remote Desktop access? That's what the gateway is for.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Stealthgerbil posted:

I had a worse one. Client complained they had no email. Visited the site and found they had no internet access at all, reboot router, it connects fine but still no access to anything beyond the router. Try to talk to their ISP but get stonewalled as they will only talk to the authorised account holder. Inform client of this and leave as it is out of my hands. Two weeks later, get a call same client says they can't access their email, visit again, same thing they have not had any internet access for about three weeks because the designated account holder hasn't spoken to the ISP to resolve the issue. ISP refuses to begin looking at the issue until this person talks to someone there.
Natuarally we are told to stop the technobabble and just make it work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Give them a quote for a new internet service that you resell, leave it with them to sign.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah or it's prohibitively expensive. Did they just mean ensure the computer has a static IP on their home network?

I have a department that asked for my home IP address and bizarrely assumed it was static, for remote desktop into an Amazon VPC environment. It's bogus security, RDP already offers certificate based security, and it's really easy to setup VPN access these days. OpenVPN AS is pretty sweet with its web login interface.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Varkk posted:

I had a worse one. Client complained they had no email. Visited the site and found they had no internet access at all, reboot router, it connects fine but still no access to anything beyond the router. Try to talk to their ISP but get stonewalled as they will only talk to the authorised account holder. Inform client of this and leave as it is out of my hands. Two weeks later, get a call same client says they can't access their email, visit again, same thing they have not had any internet access for about three weeks because the designated account holder hasn't spoken to the ISP to resolve the issue. ISP refuses to begin looking at the issue until this person talks to someone there.
Natuarally we are told to stop the technobabble and just make it work.

Do you not have a "speaker phone" button on your phone, wherein the account holder can say "yeah, I'm here, you talk to my grandson here cause I'm no good with VCRs"

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
poo poo that really pissed me off:

Dell finally replaced the entire 6430u for the head of HR because the WiGig connection kept dropping on her laptop. Dell replaced the card, antenna, dock, motherboard multiple times and was unable to fix her problem.

Laptop arrives, swap her HD over. The D5000 requires the 1601 wireless card to use the dock. No other wireless cards support this.

They sent a laptop with an Intel 6300 card. Icing on the poo poo cake is the antennas is different so I can't swap the cards.

She's getting a e7440 and a real dock. gently caress wireless docks.

poo poo pissing me off:

We've now got the order to order a Mac for a former Sales Manager turned DB protegee. He's going to be working on Great Plains so he needs Parallels. This is the second Mac we've bought that has this rear end retarded configuration. The other is an Air that belongs to our new CFO; who uses Parallels to run Quickbooks Enterprise and Office 2013.

We're a Windows heavy shop in the financial industry. The giant of a company we have to work with just started supporting Windows 7 32bit only and IE 9.

They know they still need Windows to do their jobs, but want a Mac shell that looks cool, costs more, has less upgradability and requires new support tools.

GODDAMMIT!:

My boss changed his mind on getting SSD's for the new desktops. Even after all the info I gave him.

"I don't understand them. We'll give them faster i5's and 1TB HD's."

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010

Commodore 64 posted:

"I don't understand them."

I fight this attitude every god drat time I want to introduce ANY new technology, hardware or software. If someone up the chain doesn't understand it, we're not using it. It doesn't matter if I and my coworkers have intimate knowledge of said technology, if some manager doesn't get it, we don't get it. It's frustrating as hell, especially when I know I'm not just being a greedy dick and grasping for poo poo I don't actually need to be effective in my position.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The entitled attitude that some (most) corporate staff have about computers is insane. We sent out a re-purposed laptop to someone who has broken literally three laptops since I started (in November) and they all flipped poo poo about how it was dirty and looked awful. It was used, and it wasn't in great shape, but it is certainly usable. Maybe if this lady didn't drop kick her computers down 12 flights of stairs once a week she would be trusted with new equipment. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me three times and...seriously I'm only going to let you fool me a few more times. The last laptop she sent back had dents all over it, a broken screen, pieces of the case missing and the card reader completely gone, like it was ripped out. But we're the bad guys. Sigh.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Commodore 64 posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

We've now got the order to order a Mac for a former Sales Manager turned DB protegee. He's going to be working on Great Plains so he needs Parallels. This is the second Mac we've bought that has this rear end retarded configuration. The other is an Air that belongs to our new CFO; who uses Parallels to run Quickbooks Enterprise and Office 2013.

We're a Windows heavy shop in the financial industry. The giant of a company we have to work with just started supporting Windows 7 32bit only and IE 9.

They know they still need Windows to do their jobs, but want a Mac shell that looks cool, costs more, has less upgradability and requires new support tools.

We've historically been a Windows shop as well, and with new leadership came Macs. Now lots of the senior leadership have them (thankfully, people lower down the totem pole aren't allowed to order them) for no reason at all. It fucks with everything -- Office document formatting never quite escapes unscathed, we had to find a new VPN solution, printer deployment scripting becomes an issue, the list goes on -- and when asked they can't explain why they ordered them except that they have inadequate oversight over their budgets and they wanted to. If I ask they say "Well, everyone else was getting one, I thought I should get one too." Sometimes they tell me it's because they're supposed to be easier; they are never able to point to a single thing that's easier on a Mac because, frankly, from user experience standpoint, they're not very different.

I don't hate Macs. I think they're nice machines. But I have no idea why you'd insist on forcing the square-peg-in-round-hole situation of bringing Macs into the enterprise. Now anytime something doesn't work with the drat things I have to figure out what, if anything, can be done.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
So, the honeymoon with the new job lasted 3 days - I got an email the night before that there had been some sort of mix-up during the transition and I was mistakenly hired for 3rd shift for M-F, when they really meant 3rd shift on the weekend (meaning 8pm-8am Sat and Sun and 16 hours during the rest of the week, and it was implied it would be for 2nd shift). I was not a happy camper and told the PM as much and flat-out stated that had I known the position was for 3rd shift weekends I would have told him to go piss up a rope and passed on the job. Unfortunately they had me over a barrel and my options were to take the rear end-loving without lube or quit.

I guess he felt guilty because 15 seconds after I walked out of his office he called me back in and said he would put me on 1st shift on Saturday and Sunday (8am-8pm) and first shift on Tues and Wednesday (8am-4pm). Not exactly ideal, but then it's not like I have a social life anyways. I thought about it for a few minutes and tried to see where I was getting screwed (aside from my weekend getting blown to poo poo, but c'est la vie) but nothing came to me - this might also be because I was wanting to get home so I could go to bed.

So tomorrow morning I get to start my brand new shift, right after I've spent the last week getting acclimated to working 3rd shift. I'm going to be a punch-drunk, jet lagged fucker for the next few days. drat, I knew I should have asked for more money, but hopefully at the rate of attrition I'll be able to move to 1st shift M-F in a few months.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Commodore 64 posted:

I wonder what's with the finance industry. I know it's really conservative and all, but you'd think someone would have the brains to realize that not keeping up with the times justs costs more in the long run. The whole industry seems to be filled with poor decisions and Not Invented Here-think.

I'm currently on the war path against JP Morgan because they refuse to send us data that we've agreed to exchange in anything other than Excel, and a stupid excel file that's designed for presentation at that so the rows of data are occasionally broken up by subtotals and the data is divided up over several sheets in the same file.

Just send me a loving CSV file already. Oh, did I mention that the file is sent via email, because key-authenticated scp or sftp is "not secure enough" :commissar:

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

guppy posted:

We've historically been a Windows shop as well, and with new leadership came Macs. Now lots of the senior leadership have them (thankfully, people lower down the totem pole aren't allowed to order them) for no reason at all. It fucks with everything -- Office document formatting never quite escapes unscathed, we had to find a new VPN solution, printer deployment scripting becomes an issue, the list goes on -- and when asked they can't explain why they ordered them except that they have inadequate oversight over their budgets and they wanted to. If I ask they say "Well, everyone else was getting one, I thought I should get one too." Sometimes they tell me it's because they're supposed to be easier; they are never able to point to a single thing that's easier on a Mac because, frankly, from user experience standpoint, they're not very different.

I don't hate Macs. I think they're nice machines. But I have no idea why you'd insist on forcing the square-peg-in-round-hole situation of bringing Macs into the enterprise. Now anytime something doesn't work with the drat things I have to figure out what, if anything, can be done.

I agree with you wholeheartedly guppy. They're fine machines; Apple makes some nice hardware. However, there is a difference between what I would want as my personal computer and what I need to do my job. They can't get away from Windows; so they're asking for more expensive, less functional Windows computers essentially.

I think a big part of it is appearances. For c-levels/managers they want something that looks cool, hip and impressive to their friends business contacts. When they see Apple they see "high tech" and "Silicon Valley". Functionality means nothing to them; just keeping up appearances. My hammer looks cooler than the screwdriver. I use that hammer at home; so I'm going to use it on the screws at work.

The fun part will be when they have to start working with Excel spreadsheets. The company we have to work with, First Data, is the giant that is Windows only. They love their super critical xls docs that date back to early 90's that have really horrible functions, no clear formatting and have been maintained by people that don't know what a power cord is.

I've got some real horror stories of people responsible for your credit card data.

Commodore 64 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 18, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Buy your special snowflakes a Dell Latitude e7240. With an SSD and no optical drive it's small, light and does a reasonable imitation of a stylish laptop. And they work with the standard Dell dock. Put it in a nice slipcover case and when you bring it to them they'll feel extra special.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've mentioned many times how our company got bought by a company who got bought by a company. What this means is that corporate culture has become a part of my daily life. For half of my team, this is something to be ignored - do a good job, maintain your skill set, and if they deem you unessential? Cry all the way to the bank, go make more money somewhere else. But for some people on my team, the new corporate buzzword culture is something to be embraced, and rear end must be kissed at all times.

Which is why I get emails from someone on my own team with phrases such as "let me know who will own this" and other phrases which make my eye twitch. Ugh, why must my own team now make this a lovely place to work?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've mentioned many times how our company got bought by a company who got bought by a company. What this means is that corporate culture has become a part of my daily life. For half of my team, this is something to be ignored - do a good job, maintain your skill set, and if they deem you unessential? Cry all the way to the bank, go make more money somewhere else. But for some people on my team, the new corporate buzzword culture is something to be embraced, and rear end must be kissed at all times.

Which is why I get emails from someone on my own team with phrases such as "let me know who will own this" and other phrases which make my eye twitch. Ugh, why must my own team now make this a lovely place to work?

Get a reputation as the blunt rear end in a top hat who gets poo poo done. People will very quickly stop involving you in these emails.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

dogstile posted:

Get a reputation as the blunt rear end in a top hat who gets poo poo done. People will very quickly stop involving you in these emails.
I'm cultivating that very reputation! A guy sent an email, making sure to CC everyone who might be seen in a suit, with every buzzword he can think of. He wants us to give him some information and answer some questions for a new product he wants to pilot. This involves a lot of questions about how we want to use that product. Well since he has been the only person involved in these discussions, and he wants this by Monday, I replied saying that "I will do this, but since you have not involved me in the discussions to this point, I assume I am free to make all necessary policy decisions RE: data retention, HA, storage utilization (etc etc etc, I went on for a while...)"

Just, ugh, gently caress this guy.

We're not a very large team, maybe 15 of us. We had a guy quit about 6 months ago when an offer he couldn't refuse crossed his desk. We've since hired 3-4 new people. It is shocking to me how much the dynamic on our team has changed with just a few personnel moves. We used to be the kind of group where, if someone had to do work after hours, 2 or 3 of us might just hop on the conference bridge with him to keep him company, maybe fire up a Webex to watch, but generally just shoot the poo poo. Now, with the exception of two guys who I would all but take a bullet for, I don't want to hear a peep after hours.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 18, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dick Trauma posted:

Buy your special snowflakes a Dell Latitude e7240. With an SSD and no optical drive it's small, light and does a reasonable imitation of a stylish laptop. And they work with the standard Dell dock. Put it in a nice slipcover case and when you bring it to them they'll feel extra special.

I have one of these fully loaded. 16GB Ram, HD touchscreen, 256GB SSD. Fantastic computer.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Commodore 64 posted:

My boss changed his mind on getting SSD's for the new desktops. Even after all the info I gave him.
"I don't understand them. We'll give them faster i5's and 1TB HD's."

The Good:
On the flip side, my boss mentioned we should get a "spare" computer to have on hand. We don't really have much in the way of a "spare" anything (for some reason the marketing team always expect a laptop to be available for loan), so I've capitalised on this by offering my current Dell Optiplex 3010 with 2Gb RAM to be used as the spare, and got an order approved for a teensy beefier HP ProDesk 400 G1 with added SSD. :getin:

The only people who know are the boss, and the work experience kid who watched me order it. I'll never hear the end of it if word gets out, it's bad enough that everyone gets all envious over the newer shiny Microsoft branded wireless keyboard/mice I now order in (because people keep loving breaking the stand clips from the Cherry branded ones).

The Bad:
Finally got a delivery of new phone headsets to replace the offices' current ones. We've trialled one pair for a couple of weeks which got thumbs up all around, I hand them out like Santa claus and everyone gets hooked up; 30 minutes later everyone gets rowdy because one of them is giving feedback/echo, "I'll do some more extensive testing on Monday to see what's wrong" is met with "They are clearly faulty we should get them returned right away!" while I'm in the middle doing some lovely printing work on top of a ton of other things at the last half hour of the day.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Commodore 64 posted:

I work for a Fortune almost-100 company, and thankfully I've got a reasonably powerful machine running Windows 7 x64. Still only on IE 8 though for some reason.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

dennyk posted:

One thing to keep in mind: don't know how it's handled in the UK, but in the US, vacation/leave time is neither mandatory nor considered "pay" and an employer can generally deduct it for any reason they want, as long as it doesn't go against their own written policies and isn't applied in such a way as to discriminate against a protected class (race, religion, gender, etc.). If leave time is treated in a similar fashion in the UK, it's possible that it could be perfectly legal for them to deduct vacation time for being late (although once you run out of leave time, they can't start deducting actual pay).

In California vacation is legally vested, once earned it cannot be taken away. Where I work vacation and sick days are lumped together. It kinda sucks if you get sick, but I eat healthy and generally don't get sick so I don't mind.

We have a client with backups in veeam, but its more work than livevault to do a file restore. We cant enable shadow copy because DFS would use too much bandwidth copying all the past changes. Why can't backups just be easy

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I realize this happens monthly on here (if not weekly), but god drat it. I took a half day today and I'm still at the office, a good 2 hours longer then I should be. Why? Because gently caress HR. That's why. Oh I'm sorry I don't like doing my job, here's two new employees starting Monday. God drat it. We have one loving laptop and I'm out Monday @ a conference. I should have just said haha, sucks for your new employees. But I couldn't. Instead I gave up my personal machine and quickly imaged it and the other we had on hand. gently caress me. Oh well, at least I won't get the deal with the fall out Monday when they realize nothing else is setup...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Daylen Drazzi posted:

So, the honeymoon with the new job lasted 3 days - I got an email the night before that there had been some sort of mix-up during the transition and I was mistakenly hired for 3rd shift for M-F, when they really meant 3rd shift on the weekend (meaning 8pm-8am Sat and Sun and 16 hours during the rest of the week, and it was implied it would be for 2nd shift). I was not a happy camper and told the PM as much and flat-out stated that had I known the position was for 3rd shift weekends I would have told him to go piss up a rope and passed on the job. Unfortunately they had me over a barrel and my options were to take the rear end-loving without lube or quit.

I guess he felt guilty because 15 seconds after I walked out of his office he called me back in and said he would put me on 1st shift on Saturday and Sunday (8am-8pm) and first shift on Tues and Wednesday (8am-4pm). Not exactly ideal, but then it's not like I have a social life anyways. I thought about it for a few minutes and tried to see where I was getting screwed (aside from my weekend getting blown to poo poo, but c'est la vie) but nothing came to me - this might also be because I was wanting to get home so I could go to bed.

So tomorrow morning I get to start my brand new shift, right after I've spent the last week getting acclimated to working 3rd shift. I'm going to be a punch-drunk, jet lagged fucker for the next few days. drat, I knew I should have asked for more money, but hopefully at the rate of attrition I'll be able to move to 1st shift M-F in a few months.

Wait, did you already start? Is this not in the offer you signed?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

the spyder posted:

I realize this happens monthly on here (if not weekly), but god drat it. I took a half day today and I'm still at the office, a good 2 hours longer then I should be. Why? Because gently caress HR. That's why. Oh I'm sorry I don't like doing my job, here's two new employees starting Monday. God drat it. We have one loving laptop and I'm out Monday @ a conference. I should have just said haha, sucks for your new employees. But I couldn't. Instead I gave up my personal machine and quickly imaged it and the other we had on hand. gently caress me. Oh well, at least I won't get the deal with the fall out Monday when they realize nothing else is setup...

Wait, your personal machine? As in you own it?

If so, way to be the new doormat. If HR can't be hosed to do their job, then it's not your problem.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
*My company owned Lenovo laptop- to be fair I just switched to a RMBP and was planning on doing this anyways (in a few weeks after I got everything transferred).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

the spyder posted:

gently caress me.
Ahaha. It says in +2 points bold in our IT policy that any new hires (including consultants) have to be communicated to IT at least 5 working days in advance. If HR doesn't follow that policy they can gently caress Right Off and if they try to argue my end user support guy will just print the IT policy out and slap it on their desks.

No, sorry, you didn't tell us in advance. Yes, we'll order a computer today. No it won't get here by tomorrow. Sucks to be you and your new hire. We'll happily inform him or her about whos fault this is.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

guppy posted:

Wait, did you already start? Is this not in the offer you signed?

I looked over the offer letter and the specific schedule was not stated, so that was my mistake - apparently when the PM tells you that the position is 3rd shift M-F that's no guarantee. Plus, 3rd shift was approved by the commander to move from a 5x8 work schedule to 4x10 starting next week, and that also wasn't mentioned. Frankly, as much as it wrecks the weekend I don't actually consider it to be a bad change for me - although I think that a 2nd shift position (4pm to midnight, M-F) might actually be the best fit for me since there's no early morning wakeup and it's not too late in the evening to gently caress up the next day by sleeping all through the morning and afternoon like I did on 3rd. There are six people on 2nd shift and I get along great with them, so it wouldn't be a hardship to join them.

If push comes to shove at least I'm going to be in a good position to do interviews during the work week without having to drag my rear end out of bed. We'll see how things go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
One of our teams is using .xlsx files. No big deal, except they upload xlsx files to Sharepoint 2007, which has no loving clue what an xlsx file is. OK, so all I need to do is edit the DOCICONS.XML file and then do an IISRESET. No big deal, right? Except IISRESET is going to restart over twenty thousand Sharepoint sites, all of which are in production. A major outage because one team won't save their files as .xls. gently caress me.