Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Isn't the Blood source kept under lock and key because some executive believes that releasing it would mean everybody would start hacking in Blood multiplayer?
Jason Hall wanted to keep it closed while paying for a nice Windows-based multiplayer version that would have been free... but that's all academic because Atari/WB quashed it.

Though it's worth saying that this is the given reason why Half-Life 1 has never been open-sourced. The code's basically all ready to go, but they have cold feet after what happened to Quakeworld Team Fortress after that engine got opened and they don't want to kill Counter-Strike 1.6's community just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

Though it's worth saying that this is the given reason why Half-Life 1 has never been open-sourced. The code's basically all ready to go, but they have cold feet after what happened to Quakeworld Team Fortress after that engine got opened and they don't want to kill Counter-Strike 1.6's community just yet.

At this point, CS 1.6 consists of zombie servers, misc. gimmick maps filled with text popups and Quake/UT sounds, and shady pirated Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, and shithole third world country-hosted redirect servers that may or may not send you to a server that tries to perform a drive-by spyware installation on your machine depending on the one you go to at the moment. Destabilizing the CS 1.6 community wouldn't cause a lot to be lost at this point.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Kins posted:

...what happened to Quakeworld Team Fortress after that engine got opened...

What happened?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

What happened?

He's probably talking about regular Quakeworld. Short story is that Quakeworld was overrun with hacks and cheats after the source code was released because of people flipping throguh the source and building cheats based on flaws found in the source. There are several fanmade anti-cheat systems out there now, though. It might not matter because of how small the Quakeworld communities are, but you'd be surprised by how many people in them and other FPS games with small communities try to cheat. Even in Serious loving Sam deathmatch there was a huge scandal regarding cheats a few years back, and that has like 25 players on at max.

Same thing happened with NetQuake.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

What happened?
From the way the Valve guy described it, lots of cheating that couldn't be easily stopped by server admins, seriously damaging the community.

EDIT: Beaten.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Also, keep in mind that the Q1 source release was about 15 years ago. There's been plenty of developments that've stopped cheats since then. A source release for GoldSrc would probably cause short term chaos like the Quake 1 source did, but there's still enough programmers and scripters across the GoldSrc developers that decent anti-cheat programs could be whipped up to stop the whole thing a few months after the release.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Because there aren't a shitload of GoldSrc cheats anyway.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Little silly Valve being skittish about cheats considering how for years in Source games you could add a single line to player model mat files and make them visible through walls. Might still be able to do this in some mods.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Going back to Blood 2 chat a bit, here's a little treasure I found while playing this trainwreck some years ago:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

Going back to Blood 2 chat a bit, here's a little treasure I found while playing this trainwreck some years ago:

One of the level intro texts also hurls poo poo at Half-Life, which is pretty rich.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Was anyone a fan of that Terminator FPS from the mid-90s? Skynet, I believe it was called.

I remember it being fairly rubbish apart from the multiplayer which was a blast. Terminator vs Humans and the use of super cool vehicles like the hunter-killer never got boring.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

straight jerkers posted:

Little silly Valve being skittish about cheats considering how for years in Source games you could add a single line to player model mat files and make them visible through walls. Might still be able to do this in some mods.

EYE Divine Cybermancy literally uses that mat file trick for one of it's unlockable active skills.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

One of the level intro texts also hurls poo poo at Half-Life, which is pretty rich.

Blood 2 posted:

"OCT. 30, GIDEON DOES HIS DISSERTATION ON THE RITUAL CRIME OF SIN AND HOW TO GET AWAY WITH IT. GET HERE EARLY AND YOU'LL HEAR HIS MINOR SYMPOSIUM ON A VALVE'S INCREDIBLY ONEROUS HALF-LIFE!"

What were the big FPS' coming out in '98? SiN, Half-Life, Blood 2, Shogo...?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unreal 1

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The idea of someone talking poo poo about Half-Life in 1998 is kind of bizarre to me.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

The idea of someone talking poo poo about Half-Life in 1998 is kind of bizarre to me.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Unreal was a hit that caught everyone surprise.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just a reminder that QuakeCon starts tomorrow.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Just a reminder that QuakeCon starts tomorrow.

Not sure what that means now Carmack is gone. I guess leaked Doom 4 footage if we're lucky?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Convex posted:

Not sure what that means now Carmack is gone. I guess leaked Doom 4 footage if we're lucky?

Probably ~*~*~$SALES$~*~*~

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LvK posted:

They will never top "The Original" and I'm pretty sure they didn't even try last year.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Considering we got a redundant console port of Doom 3 to celebrate Doom's 20th anniversary, I'm not expecting big things.

Maybe 33% off Wolfenstein: TNO if we're lucky.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LvK posted:

Wrack sale?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Convex posted:

Maybe 33% off Wolfenstein: TNO if we're lucky.

It did go half-off during the summer sale, it might do that again.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Maybe they'll put ET: Quake Wars back on Steam.

e: I meant this as a joke but the Steam database entry for it has been updated as recent as May

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 17, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hey Kins, why is Reelism on GZDoom and not Zandronum?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Not to speak on somebody else's behalf, but I'll just remind everyone that Zandronum is way the gently caress behind (G)ZDoom feature wise and consequently can't do a great deal of functions that its mother port can.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zandronum's an older version of the code and is missing a bunch of little features that only mods care about. Someone did a mod of Reelism to try and get it working in Zandro, but it was pretty rough and some maps were outright unplayable. I've added most of their fixes to the next version along with a few more, but it'll still need the Zandro devs to play a bit of catch-up.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Does anybody know of good custom UT99 maps that are bot friendly? I haven't played custom UT99 maps in years, and I'd like to try some of the better ones instead of randomly downloading maps from old archives and hoping they're as good as their name sounds (which doesn't work very well most of the time) like I did back in the early 2000s. DM and CTF are preferred, but anything is fine as long as it doesn't suck and the bots play well on it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quakecon Weekend sales are up on pretty much every DD platform worth their servers.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The Kins posted:

Quakecon Weekend sales are up on pretty much every DD platform worth their servers.

I discovered through the Steam thread that GreenManGaming currently has the best deal on the Wolfensteins and Doom 3s of the world, especially if you use their promo code:

tehsid posted:

Also you can use P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9 there to get 25% off any of the games on sale.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Zombie Samurai posted:

I discovered through the Steam thread that GreenManGaming currently has the best deal on the Wolfensteins and Doom 3s of the world, especially if you use their promo code:

Also got this one at Gamefly which has more titles in it like Quake and what not: http://digital.gamefly.com/?stop_mobi=once&cid=quaked1gf071714#!/promotion/161

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose I can wait for a good deal on Morrowind and a digital copy of Oblivion.

(Because when you think Quakecon, you think The Elder Scrolls, clearly)

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Shadow Hog posted:

I suppose I can wait for a good deal on Morrowind and a digital copy of Oblivion.

(Because when you think Quakecon, you think The Elder Scrolls, clearly)
To be fair it is basically ZeniMaxcon now, though with literally no reason to drop the name recognition.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

PC Gamer has gotten to play the new Doom. All we know is it runs at 60fps, supports 1080p and you can shoot enemies to stun them and then kick their faces in.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does the Doom marine yell COME GET SOME! and I'M HERE TO KICK rear end AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM, BUT I'M ALL OUT OF GUM!! too?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zeether posted:

PC Gamer has gotten to play the new Doom. All we know is it runs at 60fps, supports 1080p and you can shoot enemies to stun them and then kick their faces in.

what about fatalities

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Doom 4: I'M GONNA CUT OFF YOUR CYBERDEMON HEAD AND poo poo DOWN YOUR THROAT

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Doom 4 is basically Brutal Doom 3D.

quote:

It's an origin game, reimagining everything about the originals.

quote:

Demo is now on. Inside UAC facility. Lots of particles and lava. Heavy Melee combat, ripping out body parts MK style.

quote:

A new twist on finding the yellow keycard: year off a corpse's arm and use it to open a handprint scanner.

quote:

A demon just ripped the player's arms off and beat him to death with them.

quote:

An adorable custodial droid is trying to clean up all the blood. It is not succeeding.

quote:

The hand-to-hand kill moves are varied and fantastically gory. And here comes the chainsaw.

God is dead.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom 4 is basically Brutal Doom 3D.

God is dead.

Even worse, Doom is dead. :(