Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Everyone on the Stanly wait list, check your emails.

I registered almost a year ago and got my notice for August's classes yesterday (I turned it down because I have alternate funding).

So if you get an email today about it, that was my slot and you're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

MrBigglesworth posted:

Any IPv6 on ICND2? Bout to crack open Odom's second book, wondering if I should bother with the 3 chapters of IPv6 in book 1 for CCENT.

Yep, with OSPFv3 and EIGRPv6. Once it clicks in your head IPv6 isn't hard at all to get (like subnetting). Just might take a while. I had to use lammles book, YouTube and a few choice googles before it did and my headaches went away.

Right now I'm trying to sim the hell out of all the icnd2 chapters now that I'm finished with the book. Testing next week.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Any IPv6 on ICND2? Bout to crack open Odom's second book, wondering if I should bother with the 3 chapters of IPv6 in book 1 for CCENT.

Read it anyway, IPv6 is really important, and it's probably easier than IPv4 once you actually get past the whole scary bit of it being written in hex. No more bothering with subnet multipliers, or any of that stuff.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Realistically, how hard is it to get MCSE: Sharepoint certified? My company wants to pay for me to get it, I just want to make an informed decision. From what I've read, the 70-331/332 is incredibly difficult and the books barely cover the exam.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I have no problems reading hex. Its just the naming structure that I find insanely retarded.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Spazz posted:

Realistically, how hard is it to get MCSE: Sharepoint certified? My company wants to pay for me to get it, I just want to make an informed decision. From what I've read, the 70-331/332 is incredibly difficult and the books barely cover the exam.

I think this might be the one cert I wouldn't do even if it was 100% paid.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

I think this might be the one cert I wouldn't do even if it was 100% paid.

Well, I work for a sharepoint shop (I'm a masochist), so it makes sense to get it. There's several exams that are pre-reqs for me to cut my teeth on, but yeah... I've heard it's not a pleasant one.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What on earth is a Sharepoint shop?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is where I post the "hell" panel from the Garden of Earthly Delights but I don't remember if it fits :nws: rules or not.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The company develops clinical/regulatory solutions for life sciences companies and our product is built on top of Sharepoint, and it actually works pretty well. I know it's still bad when you have to say "not that bad", but I've had to work with worst products. Don't get me wrong, I wish they went with another framework, but back in the early days of the company they chose Sharepoint because it's a 'known' platform and would be easier to sell to clients.

I still prefer the current environment, Sharepoint and all, over where I used to work. Better pay, hours, and location vs. overnights, 11-11AM weekend shifts, and horrible politics. Their 401k was unbeatable, though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sharepoint is the devil, but sometimes I feel it gets a bad wrap from people who don't properly deploy it. If you spend the time and setup a proper SP deployment according to best practices it's not *that* bad. Problem is it usually gets thrown on some server somewhere as a Proof of Concept and then morphs into an overnight mission critical resource while chugging along on some crappy test server somewhere.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Sharepoint is the devil, but sometimes I feel it gets a bad wrap from people who don't properly deploy it. If you spend the time and setup a proper SP deployment according to best practices it's not *that* bad. Problem is it usually gets thrown on some server somewhere as a Proof of Concept and then morphs into an overnight mission critical resource while chugging along on some crappy test server somewhere.

People usually throw SP with half the suggested hardware specs and expect it to scale to 500+ users. They also perform zero routine maintenance or don't even touch the MSSQL server to do some tidying up. I've seen client systems that were borderline unusable before we did some optimization.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Holy poo poo Spanning-Tree is boring as gently caress to study. Any quick tips or specific key points that you guys like?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Holy poo poo Spanning-Tree is boring as gently caress to study. Any quick tips or specific key points that you guys like?

The best key point to spanning tree is get passed it as fast as possible because yes, its boring as gently caress.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Set up a bunch of switches in Packet Tracer, connect them, gently caress with the priority settings, and predict the blocking ports over and over again, because there will be a lot of that on the ICND2 test.

And yes, it is boring.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just wait until you get to SWITCH for the CCNP and like 50% of the poo poo you learn is spanning-tree. It's quickly becoming a legacy technology as SPB and other flat layer 2 hierarchies take over in datacenters, so Cisco really needs to do a refresh of that exam. I guess it still has a place in campus LAN environments, but it lacks any sort of practicality beyond the core/distribution layer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

psydude posted:

Just wait until you get to SWITCH for the CCNP and like 50% of the poo poo you learn is spanning-tree. It's quickly becoming a legacy technology as SPB and other flat layer 2 hierarchies take over in datacenters, so Cisco really needs to do a refresh of that exam. I guess it still has a place in campus LAN environments, but it lacks any sort of practicality beyond the core/distribution layer.

Yeah seriously. I've done CCNA, CCNA Sec, 2/3 of the MCSA Server 2012, VCP5... and still, studying for SWITCH is so ungodly boring to me that I can't make myself do it. I could have been a CCNP by now if I could just buckle down on the SWITCH exam. ROUTE/TSHOOT are no problem.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

The Data Center exam tracks cover FabricPath (and also spanning-tree).

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!
To ease your pain, a poem from Radia Perlman, inventor of Spanning Tree:

Algorhyme

I think that I shall never see
A graph more lovely than a tree.
A tree whose crucial property
Is loop-free connectivity.
A tree that must be sure to span
So packets can reach every LAN.
First, the root must be selected.
By ID, it is elected.
Least-cost paths from root are traced.
In the tree, these paths are placed.
A mesh is made by folks like me,
Then bridges find a spanning tree.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Spazz posted:

Well, I work for a sharepoint shop (I'm a masochist), so it makes sense to get it. There's several exams that are pre-reqs for me to cut my teeth on, but yeah... I've heard it's not a pleasant one.

One of the CBT nugget trainers actually blogged their cert

70-331 Pt1
70-331 pt2
70-332 pt2
70-332 pt2

Specific powershell syntax stand out for me and he called out the very-real errors (those who've failed, see this as your vindication).

How familiar are you with the core windows framework?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Just keep it #TRILL

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

Specific powershell syntax stand out for me and he called out the very-real errors (those who've failed, see this as your vindication).

How familiar are you with the core windows framework?

Anybody who failed the CCNA the first time around learned that exact command syntax is a necessity. I never sat for it, but I remember a few people going for it their first time around and leaving really disappointed because 'copy run start' was not correct on the exam.

I'm very limited in the core framework, so I'm going to need to brush up. I used to work for a UNIX/Solaris shop, so I haven't exactly kept up to date on MS stuff the past 4 years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For what it's worth, when I took the CCNA in April, shortened syntax and "?" were allowed (and I'm like 75% sure I actually used "do wr" instead of "copy run start")

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Shortened syntax is allowed, as well as do. wr is still allowed but I heard it won't be for long.

What irked me on the exam were the limited commands where if I wanted to tshoot one way, I couldn't because the commands weren't in.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Spazz posted:

I'm very limited in the core framework, so I'm going to need to brush up. I used to work for a UNIX/Solaris shop, so I haven't exactly kept up to date on MS stuff the past 4 years.

Yeah if you don't have your fingers in IIS, SQL, and windows server you'll have quite an uphill battle. I could see how people could "just" be exchange and SQL admins but sharepoint just points shotgun at its head and splatters itself across all microsoft technologies. If you're going to spend the time to learn sharepoint, you're already going to learn Windows Server so you should commit yourself to the full MCSE package.

Sharepoint is a rare, but lucrative market to be in. There's real money to be made if you master it...but at what cost?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 18, 2014

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

incoherent posted:

Yeah if you don't have your fingers in IIS, SQL, and windows server you'll have quite an uphill battle. I could see how people could "just" be exchange and SQL admins but sharepoint just points shotgun at its head and splatters itself across all microsoft technologies. If you're going to spend the time to learn sharepoint, you're already going to learn Windows Server so you should commit yourself to the full MCSE package.

Sharepoint is a rare, but lucrative market to be in. There real money to be made if you master it...but at what cost?

There's a huge consulting market to fix the things done by people who are "just" DB admins and ignore the platform it runs on. Clustering is an especially rabid beast for that, and MS is only going to keep pushing Availability Groups harder and harder in the future since it hooks nicely into their cloud services.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I kind of figured it would suck. I have plenty of resources available for labs and learning, but my overall on the job experience with windows server is limited. Do you guys suggest I start with something more basic just to get up to speed on the latest and greatest?

incoherent posted:

Sharepoint is a rare, but lucrative market to be in. There's real money to be made if you master it...but at what cost?

Getting my MCSE: Sharepoint sounds like I'll be damning myself to a life of eternal hell/sharepoint.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

keseph posted:

There's a huge consulting market to fix the things done by people who are "just" DB admins and ignore the platform it runs on. Clustering is an especially rabid beast for that, and MS is only going to keep pushing Availability Groups harder and harder in the future since it hooks nicely into their butt services.

I have a god-tier SQLDB consultant swimming in query poo poo right now and is quite possibly the mssql whisperer. He is getting paid quite handsomely.

The benefit of MSCE: sharepoint is you'll get your MCSA in Windows Server and you can always shoot for another competency like SCCM (the cloud!), Exchange (the messages!), or Lync (the sound quality is poor!).

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Is there a good setup guide for GNS3 around? Should I just use the one on the gns3 site?

Also how long should I give myself to pass ICND1, given that I have very little hands on network experience? 3 months? Less?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Interestingly enough - MS just announced that they're dropping Prometric as their exam provider, and going back to Pearson VUE, this time with an exclusive relationship.

Due to take effect at the end of this year. 31st December.

I've looked, and this won't really effect me, I have two Pearson VUE test centres in my town, and my closest Prometric closed a few months ago. So, for the UK I guess it's a good thing. (or at least my tiny corner of it)

EDIT: http://windowsitpro.com/cloud/microsoft-ends-exam-partnership-prometric

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Has anyone done the 74-325 exam (Administrating Office 365 for Small Businesses)? My boss wants me to get it, and it seems relatively straightforward, with only a MVA course listed for recommended training. I am somewhat worried that it is much less straightforward than it appears.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Swink posted:

Is there a good setup guide for GNS3 around? Should I just use the one on the gns3 site?

Also how long should I give myself to pass ICND1, given that I have very little hands on network experience? 3 months? Less?

Get GNS Workbench, it's awesome and just requires you to get the IOS files, which are easily available.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

God drat Odom likes to drone on about STP. Reading this section is an uphill battle. I understand it's not the most exciting aspect of switching but at least Jeremy tries to keep your attention in the CBT vids.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I actually liked learning STP (simming and resimming the crap out of it in packet tracer prolly helped). Those WAN chapter(s) though...

Eughg.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I loving hate WAN links. Hate them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is there a real reason why ICND2 still teaches Frame Relay configuration instead of like, BGP or a really brief overview of MPLS or something you'd actually be likely to use on the job

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Is there a real reason why ICND2 still teaches Frame Relay configuration instead of like, BGP or a really brief overview of MPLS or something you'd actually be likely to use on the job

Frame Relay is still more widely used than you may think, but yeah, I'm not sure why they spend so much time on it. BGP requires a solid foundation in IGPs before you can really start to do much with it, and the same goes for MPLS, which also requires a good degree of knowledge about MPBGP (especially for MPLS VPNs). As such, MPLS is barely even mentioned on the CCNP: R&S.

That being said, for your own edification and because you will most definitely encounter them both as a network engineer, you should definitely dedicate extra time to studying them even if you aren't working for a service provider.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I saw BGP so much in entry level positions that I ended up picking up the ROUTE book and going through that a bit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

psydude posted:

MPLS is barely even mentioned on the CCNP: R&S.

Yeah, that actually really surprised me. As far as I've seen, if you're going to be a CCNP-level engineer, you're DEFINITELY going to see MPLS in your day-to-day work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, I saw BGP so much in entry level positions that I ended up picking up the ROUTE book and going through that a bit.

Good god this is so true for me right now. I put BGP on my resume since I have a basic CCNP level understanding of it, and holy poo poo am I getting senior network engineer positions thrown at me left and right. I have a little experience running ibgp on our MPLS, but nothing too exciting. I almost want to take it off my resume for how many hits I'm getting.