Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Did you have any metal ingots?

Nope.

:iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Excelzior posted:

wife is a euphemism. they only count as spouses because that's how the game generates babies.

Let me be perfectly clear: Night trolls kidnap and rape people from civilized races. :iit:
That's the disadvantage of being a pedantic fantasy world simulator, you either skip certain major storyline structures/real life issues or have to address the problematic stuff. :tvtropes:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Kennel posted:

That's the disadvantage of being a pedantic fantasy world simulator, you either skip certain major storyline structures/real life issues or have to address the problematic stuff. :tvtropes:

Let's just skip them.
I don't want any rape in my slaughterfest where punching people in the chest makes them explode into gore.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So I have learned that you CAN kill a slade colossus. It requires about 30 z levels of falling, but it CAN be done. Fifty dwarves with adamantine weapons, though? No. Nowhere close.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

So I have learned that you CAN kill a slade colossus. It requires about 30 z levels of falling, but it CAN be done. Fifty dwarves with adamantine weapons, though? No. Nowhere close.

That'd be a hell of an impact considering how heavy slade is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The corpse of a kea man scared away a human caravan.

The good news is they just dropped all their crap so, free stuff!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Moridin920 posted:

The corpse of a kea man scared away a human caravan.

The good news is they just dropped all their crap so, free stuff!

I'm fairly sure they will blame you for the loss of their goods if they fail to be in possession of their stuff upon leaving the map, so you may wish to prepare for a siege, or at least some angry emissaries.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Urgh, I think I need to put this on hold until Toady fixes the everything being a loving wimp bug. I have an armadillo man running around in my farming area freaking out at everything, and my war dogs are just staring at it like a bunch of useless chihuahuas. And keas ran off with my bolts so the best my ranger/crossbow dwarf can do is bash it with his crossbow until he passes out from exertion.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Tell me honest: Is my human outsider screwed? Drowsy, purple "THIRSTY", no waterskin, eating snow doesn't actually quench thirst even though that is possible IRL, I can get a bucket full of ice from the bottom of a well, but I can't TAKE the ice, or the bucket, or melt it in a campfire next to me.

*edit* I know I can kill someone/some tame animal and drink their blood, and I'm starting considering the latter, but my guy is too honorable for the former.

Locus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 18, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Locus posted:

Tell me honest: Is my human outsider screwed? Drowsy, purple "THIRSTY", no waterskin, eating snow doesn't actually quench thirst even though that is possible IRL, I can get a bucket full of ice from the bottom of a well, but I can't TAKE the ice, or the bucket, or melt it in a campfire next to me.

*edit* I know I can kill someone/some tame animal and drink their blood, and I'm starting considering the latter, but my guy is too honorable for the former.

Drowsy you get rid of by sleeping. Purple Thirsty isn't the worst thirsty. Go to the nearest human fort and you'll probably be able to find a waterskin or a flask by rummaging around in their basement. You can also drink directly out of rivers but it's probably too cold for that.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Locus posted:

If there's any habitation nearby, you might be able to take a bag. If you fill the bag with snow, you should be able to melt it by heating the bag (with 'I') at a campfire.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Does this mean Dwarf Fortress does not model terminal velocities?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

Drowsy you get rid of by sleeping. Purple Thirsty isn't the worst thirsty. Go to the nearest human fort and you'll probably be able to find a waterskin or a flask by rummaging around in their basement. You can also drink directly out of rivers but it's probably too cold for that.

This is good advice, but-

PublicOpinion posted:

If there's any habitation nearby, you might be able to take a bag. If you fill the bag with snow, you should be able to melt it by heating the bag (with 'I') at a campfire.

Yesss. Thank you, I dumped the berries out of the bag I already had, and that worked perfectly. Gonna rest up, then lug my bag of water and 63 berries (in one hand!) to a bandit camp tomorrow.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mister Adequate posted:

Does this mean Dwarf Fortress does not model terminal velocities?

30z levels = 60-90 meters. Not enough to reach it IRL.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I am The Merchants of Seizing, of the Fortress Polishoars. Well I guess I better seize everything to live up to this name.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dwarf stood there overwhelmed by horror while magma slowly flowed towards him and then killed him.

e: and there's been a forgotten beast killing dwarves without me noticing. :iit:

ee: aaand it just killed the entire fort because webs. drat.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 18, 2014

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Locus posted:

Get snow (or ice) into your inventory.
Press g, then choose Make a Campfire.
Press Ctrl-I for advanced interaction. Choose your snow or ice from the menu, then you'll be given the option to to heat it by the campfire. Snow/ice is now drinkable water in your inventory.

Also... if you are deep underground and find nothing but undrinkable muddy water, you can fill your backpack or waterskin with the muddy water, then pour it on the ground, then refill your container from "here" and the water will be clean and drinkable.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm fairly sure they will blame you for the loss of their goods if they fail to be in possession of their stuff upon leaving the map, so you may wish to prepare for a siege, or at least some angry emissaries.

Good post + username combo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Subjunctive posted:

Toady has explicitly said that he doesn't want content related to sexual slavery or concubines or similar in DF, and that's why it was removed from Masterwork in fact. So there's hope, however slim.

Edit: reading through his dev entries, and thinking about how complex the DF internals must be (in terms of code and in terms of system combinatorics), and I'm increasingly very impressed with how much forward progress he can make even in a single day, and how ridiculously time-on-task he seems to be. He may actually be one of the best programmers in gaming?

Simply by virtue of working on this thing for years Toady must be pretty good at coding now. However, he's good at coding in his own asinine way so who knows how applicable those skills would be to projects he's not in complete control of.

That's the assumption I make from looking at the raws at least.

Excelzior posted:

what exactly are night troll wives then

I'm pretty sure they've been transformed into night creatures so they aren't human/elven/dwarven/whatever anymore. Its like those stories of people vanishing in the night and then coming back as one of the monsters that took them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 18, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Has anyone correctly identified an NPC as being a night creature yet? If so, what happens? Do they flip out and transform on the spot, or are they like "yeah, so?"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Good post + username combo.

I actually came up with this username upon reading a little DF comic my wife drew, involving an elven diplomat so psychotically angry that I still giggle insanely just remembering his bug-eyed expression of seething fury. I need to see if she can dig that thing up somewhere and post it here, I'm sure folks would get a kick out of it.

e: haha yessss

I forgot about this one

e2: HERE is the comic, Strike The Earth. It is unfinished and years old, but I still laugh at it.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 18, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Might have to go with sacmtank's solution to passive wildlife and remove the flier tag from these loving white storks. They've been here for months and all they've done is hover in the air. I don't even get how Toady manage to break flying AI but it probably has something to do with the gait system.

EDIT: This is...perplexing.

A bunch of random wildlife is showing up on my missing list. This includes some cavern creatures, and I haven't even breached a cavern layer yet. :confused:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 18, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Dwarf stood there overwhelmed by horror while magma slowly flowed towards him and then killed him.

http://youtu.be/l4UFQWKjy_I

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Has the game gotten more difficult in a non-bug related way than DF2012? I miss the crazy difficulty spike that sieges in the 2d version had.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I need to try adventurer mode with a real character instead of a slade colossus just to see what it's really like.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Party Plane Jones posted:

Has the game gotten more difficult in a non-bug related way than DF2012? I miss the crazy difficulty spike that sieges in the 2d version had.

Last time I tried it, terrifying biomes were still a complete nightmare to try and thrive in.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
v0.34 questions

I've figured out how to form a military squad, equip them, make them attack specific things and move to certain areas.. but how the hell do I set them to "active duty" (if that's the right term)? If there is a thief about or siege going on, I want them to be armed to the teeth and looking to kill stuff. As I'm doing it now, they only rush to suit up and arm themselves when I issue a specific kill order, and go back to civilian life as soon as they kill the unit specified.

Second: Whenever I assign a squad to train in my barracks, they just sometimes sit in it, occasionally doing "individual combat drills" and not gaining much skill. Is there a better way to make them train more quickly? The wiki is being less than helpful.

The military interface in this game is an absolute nightmare.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

I actually came up with this username upon reading a little DF comic my wife drew, involving an elven diplomat so psychotically angry that I still giggle insanely just remembering his bug-eyed expression of seething fury. I need to see if she can dig that thing up somewhere and post it here, I'm sure folks would get a kick out of it.

e: haha yessss

I forgot about this one

e2: HERE is the comic, Strike The Earth. It is unfinished and years old, but I still laugh at it.

I remember that! I was sad when it became rather obvious it was abandoned. Well, tell her that people remember it and still miss it I guess. It'd be interesting to see her take on some of the newest things in DF, particularly puppet adventurers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember reading that years ago. It was pretty awesome, still is, actually.

And yeah, waking up to find an angry elf has been watching you sleep must be a bit trying on the old expedition leader.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

UltraShame posted:

v0.34 questions

I've figured out how to form a military squad, equip them, make them attack specific things and move to certain areas.. but how the hell do I set them to "active duty" (if that's the right term)? If there is a thief about or siege going on, I want them to be armed to the teeth and looking to kill stuff. As I'm doing it now, they only rush to suit up and arm themselves when I issue a specific kill order, and go back to civilian life as soon as they kill the unit specified.

Second: Whenever I assign a squad to train in my barracks, they just sometimes sit in it, occasionally doing "individual combat drills" and not gaining much skill. Is there a better way to make them train more quickly? The wiki is being less than helpful.

The military interface in this game is an absolute nightmare.

In the military screen, go to alerts ('a' I think). Highlight active/training, then hit right to highlight your squad and hit enter on them. They will all go into whatever your schedule tells them to do (which is training 'round the clock, by default) and you can give them station and kill orders, but they will immediately suit up once you do this and stay suited until you deactivate them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got some flight time over the next few days, which means dwarf time I think. What should I do to reduce power drain? I'm thinking FPS limit of 50 with GFPS of 20, the dfhack temp and fluid tweaks, 3x3 embark.

Does world size matter?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Somehow, one of my hunters fired a crossbow bolt, missed, hit a beekeeper, and subsequently triggered a loyalty cascade in the meeting hall. Eleven dwarves are dead so far, everyone is horrified, and somehow the cat that got crippled by forgotten beast nerve gas 5 years ago is still crawling around.

Edit: A sheep just passed out from exhaustion from wrestling dwarves. Also, a child punched a wolverine so hard its head exploded into gore.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I need to try adventurer mode with a real character instead of a slade colossus just to see what it's really like.

I made a human Swordsmaster, found out this world was still in the Age of the Brush-Titan, found the titan within like 2 mins, and it was asleep.

I hacked it's wings off than shattered it's spine.

None of the townspeople even give a gently caress, even though it had killed 500 of them.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
these rear end in a top hat zombies won't leave even after the necromancer hosed off and one of my 10 dwarves appointed himself king poo poo of gently caress mountain

also birds keep falling out of the sky and exploding and a kea stole a block of stone somehow :iit:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GulMadred posted:

Nah, I just checked and it's included in 40.01.

[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

The more general problem of "dwarf hauls entire bin out to retrieve one sock, ignoring the second sock right beside it, and the hauls the entire bin back to the stockpile" tends to diminish over time. The game has a queue of hauling tasks, and any dwarf who picks up a container can "intelligently" gather several items in one trip. The big obstacle is that the maximum number of enqueued tasks is based on the number of haulers in your fort - so your queue might consist of a "haul one seed" and a "haul one sock" task. During the early game (when manpower is at a premium) you're most likely to see stupid/wasteful trips. Fiddling with the config options won't fix that; you're better off simply excluding containers from stockpiles wherever it's feasible to do so, until you get an influx of migrants and you can start organizing poo poo properly.

Or just setup some minecart routes and dump-enabled Track Stops so that you can pile everything into 1x1 stockpiles and ignore bins forever.

To revisit this issue, my primary problem is that my hauler will take my pigtail barrel out to gather 1 new plant at which point all my "Process Plants" labors throw errors because the pigtails in the barrel are no longer accessible. I am guessing there is some convoluted way to solve this with multiple stockpiles feeding into each other and eventually into the Farmer's Workshop but that is a pretty lovely solution. As you said, I don't think fiddling with the raws will fix this.

Edit: As an aside, if Goblins aren't listed as neighbors during embark does that mean you won't get sieges, ever?

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 18, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Found a dwarf to be the broker. A perfect candidate to talk to elves.

"Finds nature somewhat disturbing."

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Apparently, nothing wakes people up in the night. You can go into a village and start chopping off the heads of sleeping villagers and everyone just sleeps away. If you start chopping limbs from a sleeping person, they just keep sleeping, though they'll turn hostile as they sleep.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Edit: As an aside, if Goblins aren't listed as neighbors during embark does that mean you won't get sieges, ever?

Correct. No Gobbos, ever.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Lumpen posted:

Get snow (or ice) into your inventory.
Press g, then choose Make a Campfire.
Press Ctrl-I for advanced interaction. Choose your snow or ice from the menu, then you'll be given the option to to heat it by the campfire. Snow/ice is now drinkable water in your inventory.

Also... if you are deep underground and find nothing but undrinkable muddy water, you can fill your backpack or waterskin with the muddy water, then pour it on the ground, then refill your container from "here" and the water will be clean and drinkable.

Thanks, I'll remember the muddy water trick. There should be an option to stand under a stalagtite and slowly hydrate while losing sanity.

As for ice, I would have been screwed without the sack I found, since I started out naked with only weapons. I found no way to pick up ice from a well bucket or frozen river, and if you hold snow, then go near a camp fire, it melts, and you don't quench thirst licking the water off your hand. Would have been a sadder death than usual.

Locus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You used to be able to slake your thirst by drinking the water covering off yourself after hopping in a pond or getting rained on, but it looks like that's been nerfed.