Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Another quick BLM question. I've been keeping my rotation as tight as I possibly can, should I slow the Fire 1 part by a half second or so to determine if I get a fire starter proc or keep it tight and just cast Fire 3 after the next Fire 1 finishes risking wasting a proc? I know cancelling casts is a DPS loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Another quick BLM question. I've been keeping my rotation as tight as I possibly can, should I slow the Fire 1 part by a half second or so to determine if I get a fire starter proc or keep it tight and just cast Fire 3 after the next Fire 1 finishes risking wasting a proc? I know cancelling casts is a DPS loss.

Don't wait it's a DPS loss, also save your Thunder procs to use in that period. So if you've got both procs use the Fire 3 and then do another Fire 1 before casting the Thunder proc.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Sendo posted:

Don't wait it's a DPS loss, also save your Thunder procs to use in that period. So if you've got both procs use the Fire 3 and then do another Fire 1 before casting the Thunder proc.

That's a really good idea. I've just been firing them off blind.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Resubbed a couple days ago to check out Frontlines, expected it to be complete poo poo but I'm having a ton of fun with clutch heals and fluid auraing people off cliffs. I hope they add more and don't end up abandoning it.

Now I'm frozen with indecision with what to level next. WAR is so fun but PLD's armor is so cool....:smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sendo posted:

So if you've got both procs use the Fire 3 and then do another Fire 1 before casting the Thunder proc.

What does doing this actually gain you?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

You'll cast fireIII(proc) > fire (get a proc) > thunder > fireIII(proc), so if you do actually get a proc on that fire cast, then you don't take the chance of wasting it by already casting fire again, since you used Thunder on that GCD.

edit, to compare (both starting with both procs up):
fireIII(proc) > fire (get a proc) > thunder(proc) > fireIII(second proc)
fireIII(proc) > thunder(proc) > fire (get a proc) > fire (get and waste a proc) > fireIII(proc)

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Ciaphas posted:

It's betting that you are statistically more likely to get a Firestarter from your next Fire I than you are to get a Thundercloud on your next dot ticks. This lets you cast spells non-stop on the GCD with less chances of fumbling a passive proc. In regards to wanting to wait and see if you get a Firestarter, this lets you do something very useful while you are waiting for it to activate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

fluid auraing people off cliffs

This is seriously the best thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQdEsmykPWA

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Algid posted:

Now tell me about how to grind out mastercrafts and fieldcraft IIIs.

Mastercrafts: Break down Artisan's stuff (i.e. the i70 mainhands and glasses)
Fieldcraft IIIs: From what I've read, high-level furniture

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Kwyndig posted:

Crafting materials are not junk. I made 45k on potash last week from lazy crafters.

In that case, want some cooking sherry? Or maybe some filtered water.

edit: More or less beaten to this exact post because apparently I didn't refresh in a month

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
There has got to be better ways to get mastercraft demimaterias. As it is, it seems too ridiculous to believe.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Alakaiser posted:

In that case, want some cooking sherry? Or maybe some filtered water.

edit: More or less beaten to this exact post because apparently I didn't refresh in a month
Filtered water was 1k earlier today, please feel free to put some in the company chest if you want though, I can always use more.

Kyrosiris posted:

Mastercrafts: Break down Artisan's stuff (i.e. the i70 mainhands and glasses)
Fieldcraft IIIs: From what I've read, high-level furniture
So I do have to burn through wind shards and farm an infinite amount of tomatoes :suicide:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I'm not on Excalibur. On Adamantoise, it's going for 375 each at the moment. That's actually kind of high. The most expensive listing is 2k.

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

I wanted a witty gangster-style comment but gently caress it. Enjoy.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I'm buying a PS4 tomorrow and thinking of this being one of my first purchases based on some reviews I've seen. I haven't really played a FF(or MMO) since XI which was okay. It's really, really good guys?

Dumb coming to a 700+ page thread and asking I know, but I'm just weary of MMOs after growing tired of the grinding years ago. But I love Final Fantasy and think this could be up my alley.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Paperback Writer posted:

I'm buying a PS4 tomorrow and thinking of this being one of my first purchases based on some reviews I've seen. I haven't really played a FF(or MMO) since XI which was okay. It's really, really good guys?

Dumb coming to a 700+ page thread and asking I know, but I'm just weary of MMOs after growing tired of the grinding years ago. But I love Final Fantasy and think this could be up my alley.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Paperback Writer posted:

I haven't really played a FF(or MMO) since XI which was okay.

It really really wasn't.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Decided to do a random fate while finishing up the 2.3 story. I get an atma from it, the first one since I resubbed after not getting more than like 2 total. It's atma of the goat...Which I look in my inventory..And realize I already had that one. :smithicide: This loving game, man.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Paperback Writer posted:

This is the first MMO I've played since Vanilla WoW that I didn't get bored of within a week, if that means anything. (I got bored of WoW before I hit the level cap, so even it didn't hold my interest for long)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and is in no way true. Boss chests have defined loot lists and none of them include junk.

They might include 'junk' in the sense that they're dropping gear you won't use.

I've never seen tam Tara hm drop gear. It's always some lovely ingredient.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Paperback Writer posted:

I'm having a blast with it, and it plays really well with a controller on a PS4. You will probably want a keyboard to chat with, however.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never seen tam Tara hm drop gear. It's always some lovely ingredient.

Assuming that each individual item in the dungeon boss chests is as likely as each other individual item, there's a 8/19 (42%) chance of equipment from most of the boss chests there, except one of the two chests from the second boss which is 7/18 (39%).

Chance of always getting ingredient is therefore 11.85% if my assumption holds true. Which is... actually pretty decent odds of realistically seeing that happen. And anecdotally, I can definitely believe that it works like my assumption suggests.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

I completed the planned redecoration the PBC mansion basement tonight (with help from Pretzel Smuggler and Y'majha Setoh) so check it out if you're on Excalibur

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One thing that annoys me in CT2 (other dungeons too but it happens almost everytime in CT2) is when people in my party run all the way across the arena, making it a pain in the rear end to heal. If the person isn't in range I have to see where my character faces and try to find the single arrow pointing at them, or even worse when I click on their name I can't target them cause they're in bumblefuck nowhere. So I said something in the party about running from our marker. A pubbie certainly showed me what he thought of that.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Leal posted:

One thing that annoys me in CT2 (other dungeons too but it happens almost everytime in CT2) is when people in my party run all the way across the arena, making it a pain in the rear end to heal. If the person isn't in range I have to see where my character faces and try to find the single arrow pointing at them, or even worse when I click on their name I can't target them cause they're in bumblefuck nowhere. So I said something in the party about running from our marker. A pubbie certainly showed me what he thought of that.

You know he just marked you so people know to stand close to you, right? Stop taking everything so personally.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

KaneTW posted:

You know he just marked you so people know to stand close to you, right? Stop taking everything so personally.

I've absolutely seen pubbies use the ignore icon as a means of insulting someone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Chairman posted:

I completed the planned redecoration the PBC mansion basement tonight (with help from Pretzel Smuggler and Y'majha Setoh) so check it out if you're on Excalibur

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I use the chain link one to specifically avoid misunderstandings like that. :shobon:

(Then again someone got offended by my resurrection macro in CT2 so who knows.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Leal posted:

I'm wondering when my luck with CT2 is going to run out. I've only run it twice so far. Once last week I ran it and we only wiped once on Scylla and once on Amon, but by the end I got the healer robe. Then today I ran it and it went flawlessly, took only 40 minutes, and I got the healer helm.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Dragoon CT2 stuff is ugly and we have to share it with lovely punch dragoons. :smith: Why can't we get a pimp hat too?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Whizbang posted:

The Dragoon CT2 stuff is ugly and we have to share it with lovely punch dragoons. :smith: Why can't we get a pimp hat too?

Welcome to something like DoM jobs where the healer sets and the caster sets are usually just palette swaps of eachother.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Chairman posted:

The war room owns, good job you guys.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I would love to send my thanks to Yoshi for taking servers down before allowing a full rotation of 48 hours for verification on S Rank spawn timers three times this week, and letting these STILL stay a mystery to me, meanwhile I've got every goddamned other spawn timer down to a T.

Least I got some cool stuff out of it, my new digs are amazing

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

ilifinicus posted:

I would love to send my thanks to Yoshi for taking servers down before allowing a full rotation of 48 hours for verification on S Rank spawn timers three times this week, and letting these STILL stay a mystery to me, meanwhile I've got every goddamned other spawn timer down to a T.

Least I got some cool stuff out of it, my new digs are amazing

What the hell set is that? Is that Immortal Flames allied seals gear?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Killsion posted:

What the hell set is that? Is that Immortal Flames allied seals gear?
Yep, it's the Disciple of War set. I have the entire thing (hat not visible since it is godawful, but I got it anyway) and I'm about 600 seals away from buying a weapon for glamour too. Not sure which one to get yet.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

I'm a little late, but Brayflox was the dungeon where I quit playing a tank. I've ran into lovely pubbies before, but Brayflox seems to be the magic line where people start eating each other.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm a little late, but Brayflox was the dungeon where I quit playing a tank. I've ran into lovely pubbies before, but Brayflox seems to be the magic line where people start eating each other.

Brayflox is the "Will check" dungeon. It tests both your skill at your class, and your will to put up with some of the stupidest people on the face of the earth. Just today I ran into a SMN who refused to do anything but send in Ifrit, run in, spam Blizzard II and soak up tons of damage all because he believed he was being more effective than spamming ruin.

He also didn't use any of his DoTs.

I left that party immediately.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
So you failed the will check?

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Doublestep posted:

So you failed the will check?

In that run? Yes, I rolled a 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Now the "spam big heals for mark contribution" has been tossed around a few times, and I wonder if I made the very wrong assumption that the amount overhealed causes no enmity (that's if we're going with the direct relation between enmity and contribution).

Am I bad and wrong?

• Locked thread