Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Sounds like Doom 4 is based off the Doom comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

e: beaten

I don't know what to think. I wasn't too thrilled with Brutal Doom but this...does sound okay I guess?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I want to see that little robot.

Edit: I'm excited, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The player getting their arms ripped off sounds thoroughly unpleasant. I know it's basically a glorified death animation, and it's not like you can continue playing the game armless (not like you'd last long), but still, jeez.

Also, confirmation that Morrowind will be $5 later this weekend. Guess I'll be picking that up, just so I can say I have.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Oh shut the gently caress up with the Brutal Doom poo poo

The complaints people have with Brutal Doom is that the creator is a depraved rear end in a top hat that uses real gore photos for sprites, and that it upsets the game balance of classic Doom.

None of that applies to this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AugmentedVision posted:

The complaints people have with Brutal Doom is that the creator is a depraved rear end in a top hat that uses real gore photos for sprites, and that it upsets the game balance of classic Doom.

How does that not apply? One of the complaints is that it's gore for the sake of gore.

quote:

A demon just ripped the player's arms off and beat him to death with them.

Sounds like the same thing.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

AugmentedVision posted:

Also it's bad and not fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Actually Brutal Doom is fun and here's why,

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This time around we're finally going to settle discussion on Brutal Doom and everyone will be convinced of the other side's opinion

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
the droid sounds great. Breath held on the rest. I'm sorry for making the fatality joke. Everyone be loving cool.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm taking the safe route in assuming the new Doom is total trash and bad in every possible way until I play it myself. There's no way they can make it as good as the originals.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

More stuff courtesy of Tumblr: http://the-goddamn-doomguy.tumblr.com/post/92098517380/quick-rundown-of-what-i-saw-they-gave-us-so-much

Jetpack Revenants :getin:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I'm waiting for the reviews once Doom 4 comes out. I've been burned preordering Duke Nukem Forever and RAGE, so I don't preorder games anymore. Doom probably won't be very good anyway since the original developers and founders of iD pretty much have gone their separate ways, game may play nice but won't have the personality of Doom I & II that's for sure.

For Doom 4 to succeed it bascially needs to be like the old Doom games, and somehow I doubt it's gonna be like that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't even know what Doom 4 would have to be to meet expectations. BTSX rebranded maybe.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't even know what Doom 4 would have to be to meet expectations. BTSX rebranded maybe.

Retaining the gameplay of Doom I & II. :colbert:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm not sure we even need a Doom 4 to be honest. I had a conversation about this with a couple of friends a while back, and one of them said "Doom was a great game, but it's already out. We don't need another one."

That's sort of how I feel about this. Doom already exists, and with it the largest catalog of custom content of any game ever, along with a scene of modders and creators that make new things for the game and its engine 20 years after its creation. I'm not sure the id Software that exists now is going to make something that lives up to that.

I would absolutely love a Quake 5, though, if it used the setting of Quake 1.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I think a new Doom would be great, and as long as it's more action oriented than Doom 3, I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

No way in hell I'm preordering though.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah, I'm waiting for the reviews once Doom 4 comes out. I've been burned preordering Duke Nukem Forever and RAGE, so I don't preorder games anymore. Doom probably won't be very good anyway since the original developers and founders of iD pretty much have gone their separate ways, game may play nice but won't have the personality of Doom I & II that's for sure.

For Doom 4 to succeed it bascially needs to be like the old Doom games, and somehow I doubt it's gonna be like that.
But we already have the old Doom games, and there's still mods, updates, and levels being made for them (not to mention 20 years worth of existing content). So if Doom 4 ain't Doom 2, it's not a huge loss. I'm just glad it's not another Doom 3, whether it be more of that specific game, or something like "Let's take popular games/trends that are nothing like Doom and call it Doom"

If it's just a Doom 64 (kinda different, but very Doom-y, still not as good as Doom 2) I'll be pleased.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I loved the new wolfenstein(made by a different dev yes, but still it's the first remake i've really liked), i like tons of gore and i dont mind if there will be five more dooms since doom 1 and 2 will never go away.

Looking forward to it, just hope we get some screenshots or videos.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I hope Doom 4 is more like Mario Kart.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

That actually looks fun.

Doomero has added Boss Battles to his Donkey Kong Country Doom remake... that man is sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsXHVd0JhF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQOSIIEK2s

Malek fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 18, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's a crazy enough idea to work! I'd play it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I've found what I think will be the mod I use for general doom playing: Smooth Doom.

It doesn't change gameplay at all. The main effect is the doubling of the number of frames of every animation, which makes a surprisingly large difference. It also adds some minor cosmetic effects like shell casings and blood, all of which are toggleable from a settings menu.

It's not done yet but I really like it as a "change nothing but make things look a little nicer" mod.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SavageMessiah posted:

I've found what I think will be the mod I use for general doom playing: Smooth Doom.

It doesn't change gameplay at all. The main effect is the doubling of the number of frames of every animation, which makes a surprisingly large difference. It also adds some minor cosmetic effects like shell casings and blood, all of which are toggleable from a settings menu.

It's not done yet but I really like it as a "change nothing but make things look a little nicer" mod.

loving sick. I really like this, it adds some polish to Doom and makes it look a lot nicer, while still maintaining the look and feel of the original.

If only it worked with Chocolate Doom...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

I would absolutely love a Quake 5, though, if it used the setting of Quake 1.
I always sort of had this idea in my head for how this would work, actually.

Like, it starts off on Stroggos again (because we clearly haven't milked that setting for all it's worth). You're fighting fairly low-level Strogg, as per usual - presumably in disarray from the ending of Quake IV. But not too long into the game, you see that they've been doing some research behind the scenes. They can't ambush Earth with another space armada, so they're dabbling into technology to allow them to teleport straight there in the blink of an eye... slipgate technology.

However, all the Strogg here are dead, and not because you shot their asses; something else did this. You (and your squad, if they went that route again) decide to get out of here, as you're not really eager to stick around and find out just what it was. Unfortunately, it has other plans, and reveals itself just as you head back from the corridor you entered from - a Shambler.

The ensuing fight collapses the ceiling of the hallway (and if you had a squad on hand, they're quickly slaughtered). You are now stuck in the lab with the slipgate. Not content to just sit around for somebody to bail you out, or for the Shambler to break through the rubble and eviscerate you, you fire up the slipgate and hop in... to the eldritch realm of the late Shub-Niggurath.

The rest of the game alternates between Stroggos and the elder plane as you hop from slipgate to slipgate, trying to make sense of what the hell's unfurling around you. At first, the two worlds remain fairly distinct, with you fighting Strogg on one side and Ogres and Knights on the other. However, as the game progresses, and both sides become more aware of each other, things start fusing and getting weird; Stroggified knights, medieval castles on Stroggos, et cetera. Rumor has it another Outer God has managed to establish itself as the new Makron and unify the scattered Strogg forces underneath its own hellish forces, and this will spell really bad news for Earth if this alliance holds...

If it isn't obvious yet, I only really played Quake [1]

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The problem is that Quake 1 didn't really have a setting :v:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Mortal Kombat style melee and gore sound stupid, but the rest of those features sound really promising.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nintendo Kid posted:

But it had nice themes. Every episode starts with a techbase level and then episode 1 is medieval, episode 2 is gothic, episode 3 has a dark cult-like feel and episode 4 is obviously eldritch. In general terms, of course.

And it had atmosphere by the bucketloads.

I don't know about you guys, but I think Doom 4 sounds promising. Fast movement? Rip and tear? Jetpack revenants? Doom 64-like atmosphere? Large numbers of enemies? Super shotgun? Sounds good to me!

The only thing that sort of irks me is that the soundtrack is described as Quake 1-like. That's an amazing soundtrack, of course, but it isn't very Doomy. You need thrash and speed metal with riffs galore for a proper Doom soundtrack.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Doom 64's soundtrack was very Quake 1-esque but worked well for it too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

The only thing that sort of irks me is that the soundtrack is described as Quake 1-like. That's an amazing soundtrack, of course, but it isn't very Doomy. You need thrash and speed metal with riffs galore for a proper Doom soundtrack.
IIRC the guy doing the soundtrack is Mick Gordon, who did the Killer Instinct 2013 soundtrack.. A couple of songs apparently leaked out from his website in the past (maybe they're from a canned iteration of the game?), they sound pretty drat suitable to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM4ks3AHwQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRYIiXqd9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCIzcGcCjk

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

I want to see that little robot.

Edit: I'm excited, though.

Doom 4, pre-order and get the UAC Marine Base Viscera Cleanup Detail free!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The myth that Doom is all about the hard metal needs to go. Doom's soundtrack is just as much about the atmosphere and the slow, ambient songs, too. The Imp's Song, Dark Halls, Suspense, Demons on the Prey, and the legendary Sign of Evil are five songs in the first episode's nine levels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Doom 4 is even doomier than brutal doom doomidy doom.

I mean I knew it was gonna be weird (Id with no Carmack, Doom game that's been redesigned at least 3 times over several years)

I really loving wish we could see it :doh: I feel like these con only announcements are just clearly trying to cover up for something, and trying to build on nothing but ultranerd hype off the quakecon faithful who would probably think anything looked pretty cool since they've got so much red bull and mountain dew coursing through their veins. I guess we'll probably get some cams or leaks soon.

quote:

Guns didn’t need to be reloaded
lighting and atmosphere a lot like Doom 64.
Almost no scripted bullshit.
Tons of enemies almost constantly.

Hmmm.... okay, okay I'll wait until I see it to judge. This could be good.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sure it does, watch the Seal of Nehahra :cheeky:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Guns not needing to be reloaded sounds like a very good sign to me.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I briefly mentioned this in the PS4 thread, but a lot of this stuff isn't really the core of what made Doom, they are the trappings of Doom. Gore is cool, but gore isn't why you play Doom. If this game has you moving at the equivalent of 80mph, doesn't have a crosshair and all the guns autoaim if they are pointed reasonably close to a monster, and monster stunlocking, then I will agree that this is starting to look like Doom. But gore and and a super shotgun is something anybody can throw in to any game.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Of course a lot of it is just surface stuff, but that stuff is still kind of important. The look and feel of a game are a pretty big part of what makes it memorable, even if it's obviously not the core of it. Plus it's all we can comment on at the moment.

The mission statement of Doom 4 seems to be the exact opposite of Doom 3's, which is a good sign to me. Whereas Doom 3 sought to update the franchise to be more like the FPS games around it (a completely reasonable goal at the time) Doom 4 seems to be an attempt to ditch whatever is bad about modern FPSes, while (hopefully) still moving forward and not just playing it safe in the opposite direction.

I still don't like that it's just called "Doom" but that's my biggest problem with it so far, which is encouraging.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Whereas Doom 3 sought to update the franchise to be more like the FPS games around it
This and the fact that everything in RAGE that wasn't shooting monsters in sewers was kinda lacking is why the new Doom sounds promising to me. I would rather that id software attempt to make a batshit crazy game than to make one that fits in along everything else out there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nintendo Kid posted:

Guns not needing to be reloaded sounds like a very good sign to me.

I reloaded my super shotgun after every shot :clint:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

abagofcheetos posted:

I briefly mentioned this in the PS4 thread, but a lot of this stuff isn't really the core of what made Doom, they are the trappings of Doom. Gore is cool, but gore isn't why you play Doom. If this game has you moving at the equivalent of 80mph, doesn't have a crosshair and all the guns autoaim if they are pointed reasonably close to a monster, and monster stunlocking, then I will agree that this is starting to look like Doom. But gore and and a super shotgun is something anybody can throw in to any game.

Yeah we know, we all feel the same way. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Autoaim is a remnant of imprecise/impractical limitations to the peripherals at the time (Namely no mouse, or using a controller). It has no purpose nowadays.