Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cakefool posted:

Why do e46's break rear springs commonly enough for it to apparently be a thing?

Also where do I find springs in the uk on a poors budget?

Small lower spring circumference coupled with being located where road grime can accumulate and sit I think. Oem springs aren't super expensive. Do they have pick and pull junkyards over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Brock Landers posted:

Small lower spring circumference coupled with being located where road grime can accumulate and sit I think. Oem springs aren't super expensive. Do they have pick and pull junkyards over there?

They do but I have some sort of sports package so I'd have to grab both and sport some fantastic rake :v:

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

SlapActionJackson posted:

It looks like a 6er Grand Coupe X-drive, but that vehicle already exists for some reason*, so I'm not sure why it would be under wraps...

* (The only thing I can think of is that BMW's marketing department seems to have scored enough quality blow to last a whole decade, because they keep answering questions nobody is asking)

Fake edit: BMW NA says at least three people in the world are eagerly awaiting the BMW ALPINA B6 xDrive Gran Coupe so that must be it.

Actually, that's probably the X4 M.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!
So I'm looking at a tiag 05 m3 zcp. it's got 56k miles and no (reported) accidents or paint/body work. Test drove it and it felt great. I made an offer for $22k (pre taxes) so long as the PPI comes up satisfactory. They're pushing for more like $24k though. I got service records and nothing major was done, just oil changes, inspection 1, springs replacement, battery...Frankly they're not that detailed but it looks like it was maintained okay so far. And I'm pretty sure I'll need to throw on some new rubber soon.

$22k is already pretty much at the top end of what I wanted to spend but it's been hard to find a good m3 for ~20k. If I can get it for 23k and have them do inspection 2 with valve adjustment... :getin: or :frogout:?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Sole Survivor posted:

Actually, that's probably the X4 M.

He said it was smaller than the X5 following it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A scarce check-in:

I haven't been doin much with the e39 lately as we are moving in 10 days. We bought a motorhome and sadly BMWs can't really be towed without a $4k driveshaft disconnect. We had planned to sell it here BUT a: I have no takers at a decent price (more than 2500 bucks) and b: the god drat thing is starting to throw CEL's, I think it's fuel filter or pump but my OBD2 reader is in tomorrow we'll know for sure.

So, the idea is to diagnose, if I can fix it next week, fix, otherwise take it to the local indie and have him fix. Then store it here for a month or two, and when we get settled in Denver i make the final decision to sell it in Arkansas, bring it to Denver and sell or bring it to Denver and park it offsite as my weekend fun/cruiser car. We're selling the Jeep and getting a CR-V so my wife can drive that. I kind of have the financial room to spring for the $50/month storage fee and I swore long ago that I would never again sell a good car for cheap after some guy rolled my mint, stock S13 hatch 8 days after I sold it to him, so unless I like the seller I kind of want to keep it.

I do have a dumb, reckless, insane question. How difficult is it to detach/reattach the driveshaft at the diff on E39's? Is it just four bolts? If we can disco the driveshaft, it's towable.

E: If I do sell after the repair, AI gets first crack. But i'm not goin to sell you guys a car throwing CEL's. Let me fix it first then we talk.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 18, 2014

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

He said it was smaller than the X5 following it.

Since the X4 is the "coupe" version of the X3, which is smaller than the X5, that makes perfect sense.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

without a $4k driveshaft disconnect.

How difficult is it to detach/reattach the driveshaft at the diff on E39's? Is it just four bolts? If we can disco the driveshaft, it's towable.

Who the hell quoted $4K? That's nuts. I don't know about E39's but on E46's it's remove center exhaust section, remove heat shielding, remove driveshaft. A couple of hours max for someone with a lift.

If you're gonna DIY consider disconnecting the output half shafts instead. More bolts to undo all together, but easier to get at.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm talkin about something like http://www.swdriveline.com/ which gives you a lever in the cabin to engage/disengage the driveshaft. This company is the nuclear option for RWD towed vehicles that you don't want to flatbed. I don't mind the halfshaft idea to be perfectly honest, I may take a look. That should do it. All i need is brakes when it's being towed.

E: Ok, I was still way high on the price. It's about a grand. Assuming 1500 cause BMW Tax. That may be a thing to pursue, but honestly I am more thinking about just storaging it and pulling it out summers/weekends to blast around the mountains. If i end up not driving it much for six months or so, i'm out $300 for storage fees and can sell it.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 18, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Couldn't you get it transported for 1500 or less?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sole Survivor posted:

Since the X4 is the "coupe" version of the X3, which is smaller than the X5, that makes perfect sense.
Yeah the X4 is to the X3 as the X6 is to the X5. Personally I see a lot more X6 Ms then I do X5 Ms so making a X4 M makes sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't see the point of an M version of the X cars. It's a crossover, not a sports car. It's still going to handle like poo poo.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Think of it like Porsche SUVs: you don't want one and don't understand an M version, but it's super profitable and likely lets BMW's M division keep making cars you like.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BraveUlysses posted:

Couldn't you get it transported for 1500 or less?

I was thinking more along the lines of long weekend, cheap plane ticket to Arkansas, drive it back to Colorado out of storage. 26mpg on the flats, 800 miles, one day drive. But yeah, quotes for flatbedding are looking to be in the 1000-1200 range.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Right here, i'm the X class M buyer. I don't own one, but I totally would buy one over pretty much any BMW right now.

Basically, we don't like super sport cars where you feel your teeth rattle on anything less than perfect roads, but we still like to go fast-ish but don't apex turning into our driveways. And we like all the luxury that comes with fancy BMWs and techno-gadgetry etc. My last car was a 335d m-sport (actually still available for sale at the consignment dealer), and I loved pretty much everything about it: practical, uniquely styled for a BMW since every bmw 3 series looks the same without something fancy about it, but still a bit sport.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see the point of an M version of the X cars. It's a crossover, not a sports car. It's still going to handle like poo poo.
Give a vehicle with a high profit margin an even higher profit margin.

Edit - ^^ that too. My sister is looking at getting a Macan Turbo for the same reasons.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Right here, i'm the X class M buyer. I don't own one, but I totally would buy one over pretty much any BMW right now.

Basically, we don't like super sport cars where you feel your teeth rattle on anything less than perfect roads, but we still like to go fast-ish but don't apex turning into our driveways. And we like all the luxury that comes with fancy BMWs and techno-gadgetry etc. My last car was a 335d m-sport (actually still available for sale at the consignment dealer), and I loved pretty much everything about it: practical, uniquely styled for a BMW since every bmw 3 series looks the same without something fancy about it, but still a bit sport.

Honestly you sound like the ideal Mercedes/Lexus buyer. Both of them do fast but cushy cars loaded with luxury and gizmos better than BMW. BMW has traditionally done 'sport' a lot better than they have 'luxury' (though their newer stuff is veering much more into the soft luxo cruiser territory and lost a lot of the sport).

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Right but I like being able to go up a hill in a car and not worry about the 30 inches of body roll if I take a turn with a little bit of speed. I'm also about 30, and nobody my age cares for Mercedes/Lexus, those are the cars our grandparents drove.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

Honestly you sound like the ideal Mercedes/Lexus buyer. Both of them do fast but cushy cars loaded with luxury and gizmos better than BMW. BMW has traditionally done 'sport' a lot better than they have 'luxury' (though their newer stuff is veering much more into the soft luxo cruiser territory and lost a lot of the sport).

And BMW wants some of that business.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Right but I like being able to go up a hill in a car and not worry about the 30 inches of body roll if I take a turn with a little bit of speed. I'm also about 30, and nobody my age cares for Mercedes/Lexus, those are the cars our grandparents drove.

You could get an AMG or such, plenty fast and handles well, but still more comfy than a sport package 3 series.

Plus I think grandparents would have been more likely to drive Caddy/Olds/Buick, Mercs are still too sporty for most old folks ;)

Edit: or Lincoln. My brain tries to block out the fact that they still have owners who can legally drive instead of being confined to nursing homes.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 18, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Right but I like being able to go up a hill in a car and not worry about the 30 inches of body roll if I take a turn with a little bit of speed.

Then why would you buy a tall car like a SUV? There are plenty of regular vehicles that provide the comfort you previously described without the roll. Honestly, it sounds like you want a bank vault with an accelerator you can mash once in a while, which is pretty much any fast Mercedes/Lexus. BMW is halfway there and will arrive shortly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm not sure why y'all are getting so butt hurt about them making a car like the X4 M. Market forces dictate the products to be made. If you don't like it? Don't buy it. Seems pretty simple.

Its not like you are the one buying it anyways.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm not sure why y'all are getting so butt hurt about them making a car like the X4 M. Market forces dictate the products to be made. If you don't like it? Don't buy it. Seems pretty simple.

I'm not sure why y'all think anyone is butt hurt about anything. Simply making the observation that if someone wants a comfortable car with luxury amenities with a reserve of power and handling as secondary characteristics that BMW isn't necessarily the first place you should look in the current market.

Something like this definitely isn't a grandpa car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKcB2cwqG8

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm not sure why y'all think anyone is butt hurt about anything. Simply making the observation that if someone wants a comfortable car with luxury amenities with a reserve of power and handling as secondary characteristics that BMW isn't necessarily the first place you should look in the current market.

Something like this definitely isn't a grandpa car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKcB2cwqG8

A car that doesn't need fake exhaust note piped through the speakers. What a truly amazing sound.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Because BMW product development has been so busy developing six different 4-door coupes, they couldn't even be bothered to bring over the full 1-series lineup to north america. Also, buyers like Bourbon are exactly who they have in mind when they soften up the 3 and 5 series.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SlapActionJackson posted:

Because BMW product development has been so busy developing six different 4-door coupes, they couldn't even be bothered to bring over the full 1-series lineup to north america.

Well, I am butthurt in the fact that they couldn't be bothered to bring the 535id over. Hell, why they couldn't bring more diesels over is the part that floors me. BMW can not only do gas, but diesels pretty drat well.

Edit: I need to start looking at more of the new car websites (I am never in the market for a "new" car though), and it looks like they have a diesel model in the 3, 5, 7, X3, and X5 models.

I knew that for a while they were just doing the 335id and the X5 35d, which the X5 was doing killer numbers in the fuel department for a SUV.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 18, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Right now they are selling more diesels in the US than they ever have before

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

BMW has done more than "VEER", at least at the non-M level. Gotta get those 3 year lease slushbox MBZ/Audi mid level mgt guys somehow.

That said my 535 is so comfy on the highway, can eat up the worst roads, potholes and debris on the road, and can still kick some rear end in the corners.....just not like my old tweaked out E46. The newer 5 is definitely skewed way to the luxury-mini 7 side now - unless you mod it out with springs/sways or get an M5.

A loaded 550 sport would a great compromise luxo-monster.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 18, 2014

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I seem to be blowing fuel pump fuses hence the no pressure on the fuel rail. I've checked the fuse box under the hood and everything looks good there so I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump and relay. Anything else I should check while I wait for rock auto to deliver the fuel pump and relay?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

So I seem to be blowing fuel pump fuses hence the no pressure on the fuel rail. I've checked the fuse box under the hood and everything looks good there so I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump and relay. Anything else I should check while I wait for rock auto to deliver the fuel pump and relay?

Fuel filter clogging can burn pumps out. As can excessive cycle-time due to clogged injectors.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I spent 2.5 hours separating the wire boxes from the injectors on my e39 last night. gently caress those clips man. I ended up finding a 90 degree dental pick which did the trick. ~bmw tools~

E: someone yell at me if im breaking tables, I cant tell on my tablet.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 19, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Drove one of the new BMW 125i twin turbos today with the 8-speed automatic transmission. I was really impressed with the transmission software when placed in DS mode, only caught it really off guard a few times but it held gears properly and provided manual like engine braking. Engine has good power for what it is and the car hides it's weight very well. Car had optional M brake package, KW suspension package, semi-slicks and cage/buckets/harnesses. Made Dad and I rethink our view on the new BMW's and automatic transmissions.

Car in question

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
No broken tables from this viewpoint.

Interesting point about the dental pick - I'm pretty sure I've got a few of those. When my grandfather died my uncle went through the house including the workshop in the basement and put together some things for the grandchildren. I got a toolbox and a few other things; my grandfather was a diesel mechanic (apparently he was southern Ontario's go-to guy for diesel carburetors in the 1960s, which from what I've seen means he was a warlock of some arcane order) and in that toolbox were a few slightly greasy dental picks.

I'll be pulling more off of my carcass of a 328, perhaps the picks will come in handy.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
On the m62 the fuel rail /other poo poo blocks your view of the tops of the injectors pretty badly, especially on the ones closest to the firewall side. I could barely get the pick onto the clips, and even after loosening the clips (which can just pop off and fly into the engine bay) i had a really hard time removing the plugs from the injectors. I was terrified of breaking a wire!

Hopefully this is the last time for a while that I have to get the valve covers/timing covers off...

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

loving German plastic and GDCS. Snapped my expansion tank thermostat which connects to the ATF heat exchanger during my radiator swap.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

concise posted:

loving German plastic and GDCS. Snapped my expansion tank thermostat which connects to the ATF heat exchanger during my radiator swap.

Sucks but it was probably on its way out. Best that happened when the car was parked and not while you were driving it.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mechaet posted:

Fuel filter clogging can burn pumps out. As can excessive cycle-time due to clogged injectors.

I've replaced the fuel filter but it's possible the lines or injectors are clogged as well. Guess well find out soon.

doogle
May 24, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

BMW 125i twin turbo

BMW calls their dual scroll turbos "Twin Power" which makes people think there are 2 turbos. The N20 and N55 both only have 1 turbo. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-twinpower-turbo-engines-explained-50443.html

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Progress report on my pull-apart-my-e36 project:
Timmy Cruise came over just after I broke my 3/8" breaker bar trying to get the bolts off of the rear wheels. Rust! Rust and seizure galore! I don't know how much of that was caused by my mechanic over-torquing them when they put my winter wheels on back in November (I don't know if they did that - I'm pretty happy with Glenwood Auto and I trust them, most of the time) and how much was from sitting in that parking stall outside from February to now - a temperature range of 60 degrees C, over the full snowmelt. Anyway, multiple applications of PB Blaster and some light swearing got the bolts loosened and Mr. Cruise's nice impact gun got them the rest of the way without issue. Despite the bent splined security-bolt thing.
Adventures on July 19 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Princess Auto quality shines through again!

Then it was on to pulling off chunks of car to satisfy my masochistic urge to give away my car in tiny, tiny pieces.
Let's see here, what did we get done...
revmoo - Your order is as complete as it's going to get. Fusebox lid, steering wheel, toolbox goodies (all of 'em), kidneys (unbroken! well, except for one cracked clip-receiver that doesn't seem to matter - you can't see the damage from the front, and it shouldn't affect the stability of the kidneys installed into a new front end). The ECU foam cover seems to be glued to the ECU cover and to the firewall. It's a bit chewed up already and I don't think I can get it off without shredding it. As soon as I find a box that will fit everything, and I give the center console parts a good cleaning, I'll send it out.
Saxon - I have only the door handle surrounds for you. See picture:
Adventures on July 19 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Xy Hapu - I've got all three steering column stalks for you (wipers, signals, cruise control), the driver's side vent only (the others, center and passenger, require more dissassembly of the dash than I feel like doing), the headlight switch (as a single integrated piece with the vent), the wheel caps, and most of the plastic plugs from the underside of the trunk lid. Not sure if that's what you wanted when you asked for "blind plugs" but they're out of the car and yours unless you don't want them. The plastic covers for the seat rails are missing, dunno what happened to them.
Ziploc - This is a tricky one. The seat belt pivot doesn't have a cover, on either side. I don't know if my car ever had them, at least in the time I've owned it. Do you want the driver's seatbelt? The pivot is in good shape and the mount is *probably* something I could dig out of the interior...
Also you asked for "any relays and fuses", here's the main fusebox, see anything you want?
Adventures on July 19 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
If anybody else wants anything here just call it, Ziploc has first dibs but anything he passes on is open to anybody.
televiper - I think I have your order complete, but finding a long, skinny box to take the body part that goes above the bumper and surrounds the kidneys might take a bit of time. Note that piece is also dented, where it goes under the driver's side headlight - I was told somebody backed a trailer hitch into the front of the car there, sometime while it was owned by my PO's PO. The rest of your stuff - front-right (passenger side) headlight assembly, front bumper shocks (those were fun to remove, seriously I enjoyed that) and front fender liners (driver's side from car, dusty and some damage, passenger side new-in-box) - are ready to go. Everything else under the front end is either missing, destroyed, or heavily damaged. The jack is bent, but still functional. Please let me know if you want it.
FAKE EDIT: I went back to see what you'd actually written, and you seem to want the bumper as well as the moustache. It's yours (the bumper is in the back seat right now) but I warn you shipping is going to be rather pricey - big, heavy boxes tend to push up into the $100-$200 range in my experience.
Timmy Cruise took the shift knob, the pedals, and has first dibs on the center-cap-less alloy wheels. And his help is greatly appreciated.

This is all in addition to last week's progress: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&userid=111252&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post432150656

Other stuff we had to get out of the way in order to remove the parts people wanted is very available. Anybody want the driver's side (left) headlight assembly, the plastic air-scoop-directional-thing (covers the top of the radiator), or various air-directing hoses from the engine bay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

doogle posted:

BMW calls their dual scroll turbos "Twin Power" which makes people think there are 2 turbos. The N20 and N55 both only have 1 turbo. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-twinpower-turbo-engines-explained-50443.html

Learn something new every day, thanks for the link.