Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

StoneOfShame posted:

Anyway I lurked this thread last year and will be getting involved now. Two things, does anybody feel really sorry for Nibali in the sense that he is incredible form this year but if he wins a lot of the commentators will only talk about how he won the year Contador and Froome dropped out even though he was as good as them
The NBC commentators have spent half the coverage since stage 5 talking about how National Hero Christopher Froome should have won. I don't mind Phil and Paul as much as some people in this thread, but it gets old.

It'll be disappointing if Nibali wins by default, but I like him more than Contador or Froome, and both of their crashes were their own fault (as far as I know).
Anything without a US Postal Sky train is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

They ran live 'bike-cam' in the World Ports Classic in 2012 for at least one day. Why its never happened since beats the poo poo out of me.

On bike cameras are against UCI rules. Cookson is giving exemptions on trial basis. Tour of California a few months ago was the first time they were allowed again.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

dema posted:

On bike cameras are against UCI rules.

I thought they might be. Do you know why though? And is there any move to change it? Like just a little pen sized micro camera type thing under the seat.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hobo Erotica posted:

I thought they might be. Do you know why though? And is there any move to change it? Like just a little pen sized micro camera type thing under the seat.

They aren't on the list of permitted devices, I don't think there's a ban per se.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Hobo Erotica posted:

because UCI.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Still B.A.E posted:

It'd be cool to have dash cams in the team cars imo, could probably get some cool stuff from them every now and then.

I seem to remember that for the Classics they had a inwards dashcam, i.e. filming the car drivers and seeing what they are saying. I'd like to see that for the Tour as well.

StoneOfShame posted:

As well as what everyone else has said you also want to have as little weight on you as possible a camera would be a real annoyance which is why they only have them on the motor cyclists and cars.

Bikes nowadays have a minimum weight of 6.8kg. They would be lighter (and more dangerous) if this was lowered, so a little camera wouldn't cause a problem.

Looking forward to today's race, hopefully some outsider manages to stir things up a bit.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

StoneOfShame posted:

Anyway I lurked this thread last year and will be getting involved now. Two things, does anybody feel really sorry for Nibali in the sense that he is incredible form this year but if he wins a lot of the commentators will only talk about how he won the year Contador and Froome dropped out even though he was as good as them

Doesn't seem that unfair to talk about that when it's probably true. He certainly looks like the best climber left, but his big push the other day only got him 15 seconds over the chasers. Nothing like what we saw from Froome last year (doping or not). Plenty of climbing to go though I guess.

And I doubt he gives a poo poo. Those two being out makes him more likely to win, and winning is the only thing that will be remembered a couple of years from now.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Oleg threw some punches on Twitter yesterday

Punc posted:

I seem to remember that for the Classics they had a inwards dashcam, i.e. filming the car drivers and seeing what they are saying. I'd like to see that for the Tour as well.

OPQS does this every time they win.

Stage 7 Team Car Emotion (Trentin) They needed the photo finish, DS really had no idea if he won or not.
Stage 9 Panzerwagen Powers to Solo Win

Bike on cam for stage 8-11

On-board camera by team BELKIN - Stage 11
On-board camera by teams BELKIN, GIANT-SHIMANO and SKY Stage 9
On-board camera by teams MOVISTAR and TINKOFF-SAXO - Stage 8

Pocket posted:

I have the four channels to watch the Tour on, one of which is a public broadcaster, they do 1 or 2 tiny ad breaks for their own shows in an hour, their only fault is their commentary is not as good as the France2/3 team. They nearly always know where Cancellara is, so that's another plus.

So it's possible to be worse at commentary than Thierry Adams (France 2) ? I have never saw a positive comment about him.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tdf%20Thierry%20adam&src=typd

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bit rich of old Oleg when hes packing Contador off to Real Madrids 'medical' centre to recover in time for the vuelta.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

serious gaylord posted:

Bit rich of old Oleg when hes packing Contador off to Real Madrids 'medical' centre to recover in time for the vuelta.

Fair to point out the holier than thou Team Sky are just as dirty though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

African AIDS cum posted:

They wouldn't be able to broadcast live from them, they are fine for getting video post race but the motos have huge satellite uplinks on them and stuff. The tech needs to catch up a bit

Still B.A.E posted:

It'd be cool to have dash cams in the team cars imo, could probably get some cool stuff from them every now and then.

StoneOfShame posted:

As well as what everyone else has said you also want to have as little weight on you as possible a camera would be a real annoyance which is why they only have them on the motor cyclists and cars.

A few notes on this:

These days you can broadcast over the mobile phone data network with a little gadget that has a lot of 3G/4G SIM cards in. Keeping weight and size down the quality would be poo poo, but it's definitely a thing that can be done.

The weight disadvantage could be mitigated by giving every bike the same weight load, as in F1 where not every car has a camera on top, but every car does have the same size housing with ballast in.

On the cars though is totally doable, either with the aforementioned SIM card technology or by just shoving some microwave transmitters on poles like the motorbikes. It may require more air units to rebroadcast the signal, however, depending on whether all feeds need to be visible at the same time in the broadcast truck at the end of the stage (so the director can make decisions on whether to show them). Alternatively you could have it visible only in the aircraft and they do the switching up there and that makes it less versatile but cheaper/easier to do. So many ways of doing it.

Go go technology!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

He basically admits in his tweets that his riders are doping.

All this made me look up Filippo Simeoni and Christophe Bassons, both cyclists who got intimidated by Armstrong during races for saying he was doing dope.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chris Horner is going to lube his knees with cortisone and climb out of the saddle for the entire 18 km of last climb.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Mr.Nice posted:

So it's possible to be worse at commentary than Thierry Adams (France 2) ? I have never saw a positive comment about him.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tdf%20Thierry%20adam&src=typd

Hehe well him aside, the French broadcast has more to offer. They have moto-journos and interviews with key staff, for example interviewing the Tour doctor when everyone was wondering about Froome. Swiss TV doesn't get this in depth coverage, either due to a lack of access or people on the ground. Basically I feel the overall package is better on France2.

But he's right there 6% isn't much of a climb. :colbert:

Pocket fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 18, 2014

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
I think it was Adam who once called a 7% slope finish a fake flat and though sprinters would have no problem with it but yeah even with him, France 2 is by far the best for the tour, they get plenty of infos other channels don't get.

Huzarski (NetApp) Brice Feillu (Bretagne)Giovanni Visconti (Movistar), De Marchi (Cannondale), Blel Kadri (AG2R), Durasek (Lampre) and Daniel Oss (BMC) in the breakaway, Bakelants and Molard 30 sec behind the break.

Broadcast : 14h15
First climb around 16h00
Finish around 17:30

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/live/aso/

http://www.cyclingfans.com/tour-de-france/live
http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live
http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

In Finland we have this geezer who's like a stereotypical cycling commentator with enough stories, excitement and french tourism/cuisine tips to easily fill a 5 hour daily slot on eurosport.

During last monday's stage with 3 km to go and all the full-on action, he started to tell the story of how la Planche des Belles Filles got its name and it lasted for several minutes :ughh:

Slightly deranged guy but I kinda like him :shepface:

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 18, 2014

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Mr.Nice posted:

OPQS does this every time they win.

Stage 7 Team Car Emotion (Trentin) They needed the photo finish, DS really had no idea if he won or not.
Stage 9 Panzerwagen Powers to Solo Win

Haha yes thanks, I'd forgotten they did these. I love their DS.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Pocket posted:

Hehe well him aside, the French broadcast has more to offer. They have moto-journos and interviews with key staff, for example interviewing the Tour doctor when everyone was wondering about Froome. Swiss TV doesn't get this in depth coverage, either due to a lack of access or people on the ground. Basically I feel the overall package is better on France2.

The Belgian TV does roughly the same, but doesn't have the motar-commentators during the french races. They have pre-recorded interviews, answer incoming questions, discuss general news, refer to other races going on at the same time and their insight in the race is pretty good as well.

Acevedo & Navarro out.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 18, 2014

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

LeMond and co just saw a rock fall down and hit a car. Ouch.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I wouldn't mind speaking Flemish just for the classics :(

So just tuned in cause who in their right mind would miss a HC finish?

drat they are setting a fast pace today.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm a bit gutted that I cannot watch today nor the rest of the weekend. Looks like I will be returning on Sunday to about eighteen hours of footage to catch up on. When is the next rest day?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I'm a bit gutted that I cannot watch today nor the rest of the weekend. Looks like I will be returning on Sunday to about eighteen hours of footage to catch up on. When is the next rest day?

Monday

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Watching at work, since no one will turn up on a day like this and i can spend my day reading the forums and watching the stream.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Awesome bike change to a Venge with deeper rims.

Just to try and make me change my feelings about France2, French commentators think he had a problem with his Tarmac...

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The German Eurosport commentators said that his old bike had a camera on it and he switched to a camera-less bike because he wanted to save weight (on the descent?? idk)

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Even if that were the case that a rider would want a lighter bike for a descent, it's strange he thinks the camera is going to change the bike's final weight. On a lot of bikes for the mountain stages they already attach weights to the bike to bring them up to the legal limit, with a camera, they add a little less weight.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Auwch, Fuglsang. This might be trouble for Nibali.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah I don't know what was up with that explanation, they offered that up without hesitation and sounding completely convinced. They're usually pretty good, so I'll give them a pass

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
RTBF said the same thing about the bike and cam, may be for aerodynamic.

Fuglsang crash was weird.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Mr.Nice posted:

RTBF said the same thing about the bike and cam, may be for aerodynamic.

Fuglsang crash was weird.

Sporza saying it was a bidon that someone else threw away.
e.: the Fuglsang crash, not the bike switch.

Punc fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Smirr posted:

Yeah I don't know what was up with that explanation, they offered that up without hesitation and sounding completely convinced. They're usually pretty good, so I'll give them a pass

Athletes are usually dumb and superstitious.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Smirr posted:

He was riding a Tarmac on the climb with shallow rims, the bike he's riding now is a Venge with deep rims. The change was for the aero advantage but I don't think the camera was the main reason.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I have the feeling this final climb is going to be really boring. Reel in the two up front, no meaningful attacks, voila. Although I hope one or more of the well-placed Frenchmen have the legs do something, anything.

RIP Chouchou. you made a face and then you died. RIP

Smirr fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 18, 2014

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Horner and TJ looking good

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

cmon Valverde please

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Fränk Schleck is still in that group, for the comedy option

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Hegay posted:

cmon Valverde please

This, loving this. He hasn't done anything meaningful in the tour for so long, and it bums me out.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Smirr posted:

Fränk Schleck is still in that group, for the comedy option

He's going for the stage win.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Still B.A.E posted:

This, loving this. He hasn't done anything meaningful in the tour for so long, and it bums me out.

He's been conserving energy, smart lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Hahaha gently caress Richie Porte