Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Zhentar posted:

If you're going for a 1,000 service life, 18" of spaceship insulation isn't a bad choice, per se. You could probably save quite a bit on cost by picking a more practical material that doesn't need to maintain integrity at 3000°F or endure rapid temperature swings of several thousand degrees, though. Foamglas comes to mind (in fact, at a basic level it's pretty similar to spaceship insulation).

I wonder if I could get Whipple shield siding somehow...

Leperflesh posted:

Find a seismically inactive area that doesn't get a lot of rainfall, and then have your slaves hire an army of masons to build your monolithic structure literally (that is, out of monoliths). The pyramids at Giza are still mostly intact for a reason.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Carve your house out of a single piece of rock! Though I wouldn't be surprised if many types of rock are also somewhat water-permeable. At least they probably won't rust.

I feel like at this point we're out of house territory and into "dwarven fortress" territory

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'd consider putting in a solar heater for a swimming pool but that's a pretty specific use case and isn't cheap to do, unless you want 500+ feet of black garden hose on your roof

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I wanna build my own solar air heater to supplement heating in my garage, it's a project "for later".

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh and we also combine this with an air circulation system that has a heat exchanger to extract heat from outgoing air and heat up incoming air.

Then 500mm och insulation in the roof and 250mm in the walls (330mm thick).

That's standard stuff in "energy star" or "green" construction around here. Code minimum in my area (which is fairly similar to Finland's climate) is around 400mm & 150mm, respectively, and is what very nearly everything gets built to because the average person thinks of "code" as a high standard to strive for, rather than the absolute lowest quality you're legally allowed to build.

In warmer climates, you can also use an "ERV" ventilation system that not only exchanges heat between the incoming and outgoing air streams, but humidity as well, saving energy from dehumidifying air in cooling modes.

canyoneer posted:

I live in the southwestern US, and solar water heating systems work really well in this climate because we don't freeze. They're on every house in Israel.
You almost never see them here, but you see people leasing solar panels for piles of money, when they don't make sense for 90+% of homeowners here due to the low cost of electricity.

The big problem with solar water heating is that you can't resell the surplus. Even though you've got high efficiency on paper, you end up wasting a lot of it if you're reasonably efficient with your hot water usage. And with the advent of heat pump water heaters, solar water heating becomes even less compelling.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
All of you guys wanting to build houses that last a long time are thinking way too high tech:

And those have stood for 5,000 years. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those were built by aliens, though :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

All of you guys wanting to build houses that last a long time are thinking way too high tech:

Yeah, but the roof is clearly going. Give it another 10k years or so and your resale value will be totally shot due to all the deferred maintenance.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Downside: tends to be the death of their owners, to say nothing of the numerous disembowelments. Numerous code and safety issues such as doors that can't be opened, outlet spacing, and insufficient interior lighting. Massive property taxes :pervert:

And you still have to deal with the methheads digging up a piece to sell for some quick cash.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Also, the security system, while elaborate and effective for some time, eventually failed and is a huge liability. Your home insurance is going to be through the roof due to the risk of a wrongful death suit.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yeah, but the roof is clearly going. Give it another 10k years or so and your resale value will be totally shot due to all the deferred maintenance.
to be fair, people stole all the roof tiles a few millennia ago

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Yeah, but look at how much acreage you got. It will always be worth something.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kid sinister posted:

Lot setbacks are insufficient :cop:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kastein posted:

Lot setbacks are insufficient :cop:

Good luck with fining or arresting a mummy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Not as much as you think

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

On the plus side, there are restaurants close by.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Here's a neat thing I saw today.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Human Cow posted:

Here's a neat thing I saw today.

Hmmm, using the wall itself as the wall plate!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Maybe it's actually a switch for a trap door and you hide it behind a painting?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's the switch for the glory hole auto door opener.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Somebody drywalled over paneling and...just did that to the light switch instead of bringing it out. This was in a laundry room with a dryer that just vented into the inch of space behind the dryer, so it's not even the weirdest thing in the room.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The Human Cow posted:

Somebody drywalled over paneling and...just did that to the light switch instead of bringing it out. This was in a laundry room with a dryer that just vented into the inch of space behind the dryer, so it's not even the weirdest thing in the room.

Totally not a fire hazard.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Imagine the amount of lint and mold back there. Ughhhhhhh...

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
From the OSHA.jpg thread:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0wuXUMJPdM

Totally safe use of forklifts

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

canyoneer posted:

Totally safe use of forklifts

Proving that you can get good enough at doing something wrong that it almost looks right.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Daaaaaang.

He's missing the fourth ladder. The one that's supposed to hold up the other end that's on the ground.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

NancyPants posted:

Daaaaaang.

He's missing the fourth ladder. The one that's supposed to hold up the other end that's on the ground.

Two things:
*It's actually not a ladder but a ramp you use for getting an ATV onto a truck, or your dock over the rocks when you pull it out for the year.
*Make sure you don't miss the brick holding one foot of the ladder up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
All this needs to be perfect is a second ladder on the first vertically-oriented one so the guy can climb even higher and work on a taller building.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
It's quite impressive how someone can misuse a self-levelling ladder like that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

Two things:
*It's actually not a ladder but a ramp you use for getting an ATV onto a truck, or your dock over the rocks when you pull it out for the year.
*Make sure you don't miss the brick holding one foot of the ladder up.

I didn't miss it. I just didn't see the need to comment on it since it's so clearly the right way to use that ladder.

I am disappointed that's a ramp, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Still working on workshop plans. Since I don't plan on finishing the interior (no drywall), I need an alternate fire barrier. The local building office suggested using a stucco exterior, but from what I've read that's really labor-intensive to install. Does anyone here have a recommendation? The fire barrier would need to be 1-hour rated. A local contractor friend of mine suggested James Hardie products (looks like some kind of cement board system) or DensGlass products (fibreglass gypsum board), but I wasn't able to find fire rating information for either of them.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Is there a specific reason why you are avoiding drywall?

The easiest thing might be to just use drywall. You'd only need to tape it, not float it out and texture it. (So it'd look like a garage) That isn't too difficult to do. Hardie board and such go up just like drywall and have to be taped just like drywall, but hardie board is heavier and harder to cut, and you use fiberglass tape and thinset to do the taping.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Amykinz posted:

The easiest thing might be to just use drywall. You'd only need to tape it, not float it out and texture it. (So it'd look like a garage) That isn't too difficult to do. Hardie board and such go up just like drywall and have to be taped just like drywall, but hardie board is heavier and harder to cut, and you use fiberglass tape and thinset to do the taping.

And it carries no fire rating.

Seriously, 5/8" drywall is the cheapest and easiest way to get 1 hour.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Amykinz posted:

Is there a specific reason why you are avoiding drywall?

Two main reasons to avoid drywall. First is that it covers up the wall cavities inside. Since I'm not planning to put in insulation, those'll be bare by default. This'll make making changes (e.g. if I decide to run a water line, or need to add outlets or something) easier, and also mean I don't have to dick around with a studfinder every time I want to put up some shelves or something.

Second reason is that I'd like to have the ceiling be as open as possible. This is partly just because I'm a tall guy and thus like tall ceilings (and I have precisely zero tall ceilings in my house :argh:), but more importantly, I have a couple of skylights planned that wouldn't be much good if they're covered over by a "proper" ceiling. Yeah, I know you can set up light tunnels and stuff like that, but those would interfere with using the ceiling joists to support storage areas.

So basically I'd prefer if the fire rated stuff was on the outside of the building rather than the inside, so long as I can achieve the necessary fire rating.

Are fiberglass tape and thinset significantly more difficult to work with than drywall tape and mud? Supporting the weight during installation is a potential issue, though it might be doable with strategic use of temporary shelf supports clamped to the studs or something. I guess that depends on if you can install top-to-bottom or if you have to do bottom-to-top.

EDIT: oh, well, if hardie board isn't fire rated, then screw that. Hrm.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are fiberglass tape and thinset significantly more difficult to work with than drywall tape and mud?

Yes. Particularly the thinset.

EDIT: oh, well, if hardie board isn't fire rated, then screw that. Hrm.

It is dense enough that it transmits too much heat to achieve adequate protection.

You need to be looking at certified material manufacturers assemblies. This is how you prove the fire rating using the provided materials......simply applying whatever rated material in whatever manner works for you is not enough.

Here is an example: http://www.usgdesignstudio.com/wall-selector.asp

Your AHJ will be looking for a document/cut sheet like this if they don't already know and recognize the material and construction type you are proposing, so be ready with one in your plans.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

and also mean I don't have to dick around with a studfinder every time I want to put up some shelves or something.

Second reason is that I'd like to have the ceiling be as open as possible. This is partly just because I'm a tall guy and thus like tall ceilings (and I have precisely zero tall ceilings in my house :argh:), but more importantly, I have a couple of skylights planned that wouldn't be much good if they're covered over by a "proper" ceiling. Yeah, I know you can set up light tunnels and stuff like that, but those would interfere with using the ceiling joists to support storage areas.

So basically I'd prefer if the fire rated stuff was on the outside of the building rather than the inside, so long as I can achieve the necessary fire rating.

Supporting the weight during installation is a potential issue, though it might be doable with strategic use of temporary shelf supports clamped to the studs or something. I guess that depends on if you can install top-to-bottom or if you have to do bottom-to-top

A few extra points to make about drywall...

1. If you don't finish or paint the drywall, you'll have all your screws visible but covered with a line of drywall mud. This makes it super easy to locate your studs when you want to hang poo poo. You really don't need much ability to do the first pass on taping if you're not going to texture or paint it. If you can put peanut butter on your own sandwich you can figure out taping. You'll be doing something like this:

2. You could try to drywall above the rafters so you have a 'cathedral ceiling', and then you get your storage space and easy skylight instillation.

3. You can install bottom to top, then you just sit the next sheet on top of the sheet underneath. A drywall lift would make things much easier for you and aren't that expensive to rent.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 21, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Amykinz posted:

A few extra points to make about drywall...

1. If you don't finish or paint the drywall, you'll have all your screws visible but covered with a line of drywall mud. This makes it super easy to locate your studs when you want to hang poo poo. You really don't need much ability to do the first pass on taping if you're not going to texture or paint it. If you can put peanut butter on your own sandwich you can figure out taping. You'll be doing something like this:

2. You could try to drywall above the rafters so you have a 'cathedral ceiling', and then you get your storage space and easy skylight instillation.

3. You can install bottom to top, then you just sit the next sheet on top of the sheet underneath. A drywall lift would make things much easier for you and aren't that expensive to rent.

Actual drywall installation doesn't scare me, no. I've done it before; it's a bit tedious but hardly difficult especially if you don't care much about making a smooth final surface.

Did you mean applying drywall on the top or underside of the rafters? On top would be a little weird because then it'd go rafters -> drywall -> presumably some plastic sheeting -> plywood -> shingles, and if the drywall ever got water damage you'd have a devil of a time replacing it. On the underside would probably work okay, though I'm unclear on how you'd manage the area around the ties joining the rafters to the top plate and ceiling joists. Is this one of those things where any "holes" in the barrier render it useless, or is it okay to just do a best-effort to cover as much as possible?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is this one of those things where any "holes" in the barrier render it useless, or is it okay to just do a best-effort to cover as much as possible?

If your best effort is seamless mud coverage that completely seals the interface, yes.

Painters tape is your friend when doing this with rough hewn beams.

It's not at all out of the ordinary. Yes, it's a pain because of all of the cuts and jigsawing it up there, but it's far from unique.

FYI, I'm gonna bet you'll need to do this twice. Your AHJ is probably gonna want double 5/8". And the smart way to do that is to stagger the cut ends.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

If your best effort is seamless mud coverage that completely seals the interface, yes.

Painters tape is your friend when doing this with rough hewn beams.

It's not at all out of the ordinary. Yes, it's a pain because of all of the cuts and jigsawing it up there, but it's far from unique.

FYI, I'm gonna bet you'll need to do this twice. Your AHJ is probably gonna want double 5/8". And the smart way to do that is to stagger the cut ends.

Okay, good to know. Thanks. I wasn't planning on using rough-hewn beams (just 2x8x16' ceiling joists, 2x6xsomething rafters). I guess I don't really need the joists to be dimensional though, so there's some opportunity to save a little money there.

I assume the reason to do it twice is to make certain that a messy, hard-to-cover area has some degree of redundancy built in? And yeah, if you're doubling something up and then aligning the cuts then you're just wasting a lot of effort. I know at least that much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I assume the reason to do it twice is to make certain that a messy, hard-to-cover area has some degree of redundancy built in?

Not really....it's to get the fire rating.

The typical 1 hour fire rating is 5/8" with studs and then 5/8" on the other side. Some inspectors will accept two sheets of 5/8" on one side as an hour rating, because double 5/8" then studs than double 5/8" is an accepted 2 hour rating.

But to be hones, in the 5 minutes of searching I've done with google (haven't broken out the actual code books) I can't find anyone who rated double 5/8 on one side as anything. I mean, sure....it's got to be more than an hour, but if you can't come up with something that's been tested and the AHJ doesn't go for it you're pretty much screwed.

This is the kind of thing you should ask in advance and in writing.