Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Yukiko at least was able to give us Mari's phone number for bomb diffusion in the update before last, right? And now that she decides that our (imagined) opinion of her is important (as opposed to actual), and now will be quite cross if we so much as mention another person's name in her presence.

I like this as a kind of conflict-by-design that could theoretically make any other game more interesting in terms of thinking strategically, but it also signals a point of no return, in a way. We're also at the RNG's whims and that worries me. Is it still possible to be forced to meet any of the other girls at this point in the game? What would we do if we had to get their phone number, but it is suddenly not kosher to ask the girls about their acquaintances? Would there be any way other than hope we run into them after school and also hope they'd be willing to tell us upfront?

I just can't get over how setups like these might actually be interesting in a game where the RNG didn't decide absolutely everything. What we end up having is not a real game where good strategy can be employed, but instead something like an old Fire Emblem game where you reload back to the beginning of the chapter if even one mostly-unimportant team member kicks the bucket from an enemy critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Morroque posted:

Yukiko at least was able to give us Mari's phone number for bomb diffusion in the update before last, right?

Is it still possible to be forced to meet any of the other girls at this point in the game? What would we do if we had to get their phone number, but it is suddenly not kosher to ask the girls about their acquaintances? Would there be any way other than hope we run into them after school and also hope they'd be willing to tell us upfront?

Yukiko does not have Mari's phone number - you have to get Mari's phone number from Mari, which we haven't managed yet.

Yes, it's still possible to meet green, pink, and the two secret characters. It's just easy to avoid them, so I have.

To get their phone numbers, we'd have to do the same "level up a stat, then wait around after school for a girl of our choice" dance we will do to get Mari's number eventually. I've cut all of those events (they happen about once or twice a week, depending on the stat), because about 75% of them end in failure.

Glazius posted:

...so is there a way to find out which girls like you without pissing anybody off?

Once a year, Takuo or Masaki will give you an updated list. That's it, other than visual/vocal cues.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I absolutely love tales of lovely games. Terrible games are a cherished genre all their own, especially when they are literally unplayable or very poorly try to trick the player into thinking that it's a complete game.

I think Serika is our Tokimemo 3 consolation prize/guardian angel. I imagine that we would've gotten bored of most other characters by now and returned to TM2 or 4.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

As an FYI, tonight's stream will be delayed because I am getting on a plane to Las Vegas to attend Evo. I'll try and do a late stream to stay in the habit, though! Next post will probably be Monday.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Alright! Maybe I'll get to catch the stream again.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just caught up with the thread and I've gotta say, I do really enjoy the idea of having one of the "love interests" actually function as the main antagonist of the game. The execution leaves something to be desired, of course, but the Mad Bomber of Moegiri is something I kinda wish I could see in other games that aren't poo poo.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

alcharagia posted:

I just caught up with the thread and I've gotta say, I do really enjoy the idea of having one of the "love interests" actually function as the main antagonist of the game. The execution leaves something to be desired, of course, but the Mad Bomber of Moegiri is something I kinda wish I could see in other games that aren't poo poo.

The problem is that I'm pretty sure she's not meant to be an antagonist.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The problem is that I'm pretty sure she's not meant to be an antagonist.

It is kind of ironically funny that the intended heroine inadvertently became the natural disaster of every run. She will threaten a bomb, it's only a question of when she threaten it. Hell, it'd be hilarious if she threatened bombs in her own run.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Remember how in the Tokimeki Memorial 1 run the stream forced Sheep to give Saki a 1/8 figure of herself from her fanclub? I...think I sort of understand how she felt after playing Tokimeki Memorial Girl's side 3 today. One of the character's birthday present to the heroine a mascot plush of of the heroine. :stonklol:

Of course it was Karen

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Catalina posted:

I...think I sort of understand how she felt after playing Tokimeki Memorial Girl's side 3 today.

Have you considered doing an LP?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Dammit, I missed the stream!

Why didn't you post, sheep? WHY

(:v:)

EDIT: In art news, I've kinda stalled out for a bit, partly due to technical issues, but those have been resolved. In the meantime, have a Josuke.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 15, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo 3, Chapter 10: The night is still young

This is the main reason Emi is a useful character. She knows what Serika thinks - and is probably the only one. She also isn't at the point where she bombs instantly upon asking stuff about Serika. But that will come soon, unfortunately. There's still an Emi bomb ready to go off.

Not only that, but she's actually starting to rival Serika in affection, thanks to all of the time Goon spends doing aikido. We'll have to work on that.

9/20: The school festival, year 2

Serika: Hey! Wait up!
Serika: I've been looking for you.
Goon: Looking for me? Something wrong?
Serika: What? Uh, no, nothing like that.
Serika: I was just bored, so I figured maybe we could go wander the festival together.
Serika: I figure if I'm gonna see this anyway, it'd be more fun to see it with you.
Serika: So?
Option 1: Sure, let's go.
Option 2: Sorry, I'm busy today.

Goon: Sure, let's go.
Serika: Hahaha, cool. I was kinda worried you might say no.
Serika: So where should we go?
Option 1: Science club
Option 2: Drama club
Option 3: Broadcast club
Option 4: Astronomy club

Serika hated the drama club last time, so it's time to see what Chitose's group has to offer.

Goon: They're trying a tongue twister tournament today.
Serika: Tongue twisters? Totally tempting. Time to take it in.

Translator tittering truly tipped this transcript. I couldn't help it.

Chitose: Thanks for waiting! The final round of the tongue twister tournament is about to begin!
Chitose: Both of these contestants have made it this far - who will be the champion?
Chitose: Here we go - tongue twister tournament championship round...
Chitose: Ready? Go!

Disappointingly, most of these tongue twisters are sped up tracks, and not actually shouted at high speed by any actors. Disappointing.

Challenger A: Nama mugi nama gome nama tamago!
Challenger B: Aka pajama ao pajama ki pajama!
Challenger A: Tonari no kyaku wa yoku kaki kuu kyaku da!
Challenger B: Bouzu ga byoubu ni jouzu ni bouzu no e wo kaita!
Challenger A: Tokyo tokkyou kyokakyoku!
Challenger B: Shinjin shanson kashu shinshun shanson show!
Challenger A: Kono takegaki ni take tatekaketa no wa taketate kaketakatta kara taketatekaketa!
Challenger B: Kaeru pyokopyoko mi pyokopyoko awasete pyokopyoko mu pyoko pyoko!
Challenger A: Sumomo mo momo mo momo no uchi!
Challenger B: Niwa ni wa niwatori ga iru!
Challenger A: Bus gas bakuhatsu!
Challenger B: Oaya ya hahaoya ni oayamari!

All of these are real Japanese tongue twisters. I've romanized them so you can see how hard it is to say them fast - it's fun, though.

Chitose: Wow, what an exciting match! Well, we'll see you next time!
Chitose: See you again!

Serika: Haha, that was fun to watch - I mean listen to.
Serika: I wish I could do that.
Serika: Not that it'd be useful for anything.
Goon: Good point.
Goon: (Seems like Serika-san really liked that.)

Serika: Well, I guess that's all.
Serika: But I had a lot of fun. More than I thought I would.
Serika: Although that's probably more thanks to you than thanks to anything we saw today.
Goon: (Yeah, that's kind of what it felt like.)

9/21: Aikido match

Another easy win.

Goon: We won!
Emi: Congratulations. You showed us how hard you work every day.
Goon: (I need to do this well next time, too!)

And now that Emi likes Goon, she actually has a new line for victory!

9/28: Bomb-clearing date with Emi

Goon: Looks like they're doing a showcase of the gems of the world here, too.
Emi: Where do you want to go?
Option 1: Let's go to the underground food court.
Option 2: Let's go to the boutique.
Option 3: Let's check out that gem showcase.

Option 4: Dear God what is that on your head?!

Goon: Let's check out that gem showcase.

Emi: There are diamonds here worth tens of billions of yen.
Emi: They're so expensive, I don't even know what to say.
Option 1: I wonder if there's anyone who can actually go well with that kind of diamond.
Option 2: These things are made from carbon, just like coal.
Option 3: Some day, I'll buy one of these and give it to you, Tachibana-san.

Goon: Some day, I'll buy one of these and give it to you, Tachibana-san.
Emi: Hehe, you always joke.
Emi: I appreciate the sentiment, but this kind of giant diamond is simply too much for me.
Goon: (Looks like I made a good impression)

It's hard to figure out why Emi goes through 8 seconds of random pose changes before saying anything - I guess they wanted to show some emotion, but it really just looks like she can't figure out where to put her hands.

And, because Emi likes Goon now, it's time for a follow-up date. Two relevant pieces of info come from this:

First, you can ask her about Serika's injuries.
Emi: Serika often shows up with those scrapes all over her.

That was... well, at least it wasn't a generic line, I guess.

Also, Emi's birthday is February 6th.

9/29: More Emi fangirls

Emi: Oh, (awkward $playername pause). Are you heading home?
Goon: Yeah. Are you heading home too, Tachibana-san? Want to--

Freshman: Senpai!
Freshman: Senpai, hurry up! The anmitsu shop's all-you-can-eat deal is almost over!
Emi: I'm sorry. As you can see, I promised these girls I would go to the shopping district with them.
Goon: You're pretty popular, Tachibana-san.

Freshman: Senpai, hurry up!
Emi: You'll have to excuse me.

Oh god they tried to make her cute it's not workingggg

10/8: Mari moment

Goon: Hey, it's Oda-san. But something's not right.
Mari: From the moment I laid eyes on you, I've been captivated by you. I even dream about you.
Mari: When I think about you, it feels like my heart is about to burst.
Mari: Do you - do you understand how I feel?
Goon: (I - I seem to have come in at a bad time.)

Mari: Oh. What might you be doing here?
Goon: Oh, uh, nothing.
Mari: Did you hear that confession I just made?
Option 1: N, no way, I wasn't listening in.
Option 2: I won't tell a soul.

As before, neither option matters here.

Mari: You don't have to worry about it. It was just rehearsal again.
Goon: Oh? I see.
Mari: You can't help but be taken in. My performance is perfect.

10/11: Wait, what?

Where did THAT bomb come from? Son of a...

10/12: Bomb-clearing with Emi... again.

Emi: It looks like this was where the special seats were for the summer fireworks.
Option 1: The view must have been gorgeous from here.
Option 2: I heard there were a lot of couples who came here.
Option 3: It must have been jampacked because there were so many people here.

That's right, Goon, try and hide the fact that you were here with this girl's best friend. It's safest that way.

Goon: The view must have been gorgeous from here.
Emi: Yes. Seeing the fireworks from right below the launching pad must make them seem so different.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

At this point, I had to do a TON of reloading in order to get the class trip right.

The problem is, who you meet at the school trip is only partially determined by who likes you the most. There is, of course, some RNG involved. Here's the worst case scenario for the 10/20 class trip:

10/20: Door #1: Hell on earth

Yukiko: Hey, you know that saying, "to jump from the balcony of Kiyomizu" - for doing really brave things?
Yukiko: When I stand on the real thing, I'm so scared that I can't move my legs.
Option 1: I can do it!
Option 2: Yeah, you need to have a lot of guts to do it.
Option 3: You can do it, Makihara-san.

This conversation is pretty innocent, but here's the really bad part. Whoever you see on this balcony will ask Goon to go sightseeing with her:

Goon: Makihara-san, what's up?
Yukiko: Well... day 4 is when we get to go out on our own, right?
Yukiko: Do you... want to go with me?
Goon: No.

This is what Yukiko looks like when you say no. It's really scary.

Yukiko: Baby deer are so cute. I love their little round eyes.
Option 1: We should feed them something.
Option 2: They're just acting cute because they want food.
Option 3: You really like animals.

Note that the person who appears in the first conversation is not always the person who appears here, which makes it even worse when it's Yukiko twice.

Goon: Hey, Serika-san. Just the person I was looking for.
Serika: Good morning. Did you want to talk to me?
Goon: Want to head out sightseeing with me?

Serika: Um... sorry. The truth is, I... have something booked already.
Serika: Sorry. I'm really sorry.

This happened waaaaay too many times.

10/20: Door #2: Not bad, but not what we're looking for

Emi: You can see all of Kyoto from here.
Emi: I've always admired Kyoto.
Emi: It must be wonderful to live in a place where the old Japanese way of life is still alive.

Option 1: It's a that really keeps you in touch with history.
Option 2: We're Japanese too, you know.
Option 3: You're right at home here, Tachibana-san.

Goon: Hey, Serika-san. Just the person I was looking for.
Serika: Good morning. Did you want to talk to me?
Goon: Want to head out sightseeing with me?

Serika: Um... sorry. The truth is, I... have something booked already.
Serika: Sorry. I'm really sorry.

SON OF A

Door #3: The one where things actually went right

Here's what it took to get the RNG to the point where Serika would actually appear in parts 1 and 2:

10/15: Emi falls down the stairs (no, seriously)

Goon: (I heard that Tachibana-san fell down the stairs and hurt her leg.)
Goon: (I hope she's alright - she's in the hospital now, I should go visit her soon.)

Uh. I guess that's one way to get her out of the way...

10/20: The trip begins

Goon: I'm exhausted from the trip.
Takuo: What are you talking about? It's still the first day!
Takuo: And the night is still young.
Takuo: I suppose I have no choice but to tell you...
Goon: I didn't ask you for anything.

Takuo: I found a great place that can see into the baths!
Goon: What?! You mean...
Takuo: Yes! You can see the women's baths clearly. Well?
Option 1: I, I want to see it!
Option 2: I, I don't know what you're talking about.

As in other Tokimemo games, the best option is to pass. If you peek into the men's baths you raise Stress for no reason, and if you actually do see a nekkid girl, you'll be in bomb territory for... everyone.

Takuo: You're no fun. Fine, I'll go by myself.
Goon: (He ran off. I wonder if he'll be okay?)

Goon: So? How was it?
Takuo: Don't ask me. Please don't ask me anything.
Goon: ?

10/21: The reward of perseverance

Serika: It's a nice view, isn't it?
Serika: When you look out at Kyoto from here, it seems like an illusion from the past.
Serika: What do you feel when you look out?

Option 1: It's pretty, but I don't read as much into it.
Option 2: I'm so scared that I can't see it very well.
Option 3: It's like time has stopped here.

Goon: It's like time has stopped here.
Serika: Yeah. If time really did stop, how nice would it be to look out at this forever?
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

Goon: Serika-san. What's up?
Serika: It's nothing big, but - well, day 4 is when we can go out on our own, right?
Serika: Do you wanna go with me?
Option 1: YES PLEASE END THIS TORTUROUS TIME LOOP
Option 2: Sorry, I hate myself too much to say yes to this.

Serika: Alright! That's settled. Alright, I'll see you that morning. Got it?
Goon: Yup.
Serika: Haha, see you soon.

Serika: Haha, deer are so cute.
Serika: People shouldn't be so afraid of them, they're so friendly.
Option 1: I dunno, I'm kind of scared to touch them.
Option 2: Serika-san, you can make friends with any animal right away, can't you?
Option 3: Yeah, I should probably try and pet one.

Goon: Serika-san, you can make friends with any animal right away, can't you?
Serika: I don't think I'm that special.
Serika: Anyone should be able to do this.

10/22: Mini-games!

Goon: Whew, this tea tastes great after coming out of the bath.
Takuo: Ooh, this room's open.
Masaki: And it's the perfect size. Let's do it here.
Goon: "It"? What're you guys talking about?
Takuo: Why, the big pillow fight, of course!
Goon: Do that in your own room, please.
Masaki: Haha, there aren't many rooms big enough for this.

Takuo: The girls are already here, so all we need to do is make teams.
Takuo: It's already a done deal, so let's get ready.
Goon: I guess I have to go along with this.
Masaki: Let's add some excitement to this. How about the losing team has to clean up the room afterward?
Yabe: Hehe, not a bad idea. Makes things a little spicy.
Goon: (drat you, Shiratori. I can't afford to lose now.)

Serika: Hey, (awkward $playername pause), you have a partner for the pillow fight yet?
Goon: Not yet.
Serika: How about we team up? I don't have a partner either.
Goon: Gladly!

Serika: Alright! Let's win this.

Takuo: You're our opponents? Ha, we'll kick your rear end!
Goon: Oda-san, you teamed up with Yabe?
Mari: We won't lose.
Mari: Also, an actress' face is her life, so if you hit me in the face I will never let you live it down.
Takuo: Let's do this!

The easiest way to describe the pillow fight mini-game is "like Power Stone, but slower and not fun." Press X to pick up pillows and X to throw them. Press Circle to jump (there is no real purpose to jumping). Press L1 while holding a pillow to use a super move - well, except that the main character doesn't have a super toss, so it doesn't matter. Occasionally, wait staff from the inn will come in and bring steamer baskets of food, which you can pick up for health or points.

The only real difficulty is avoiding friendly fire, as this will lose you points with the girl at the end. At one point, I managed to get all three AIs stuck against the bottom of the screen constantly walking into a wall, so I was able to pick off Mari and Takuo with utter ease.

Easy.

This is the conversation if you win but hit friendly fire:

Goon: We won!
Serika: Yeah, we did!
Serika: I don't like how you hit me, but I'll let it slide.
Goon: Yeah, sorry.
Goon: (Good thing we won.)
Goon: (Come to think of it, when did she change?)

Good question, Goon. Good question. Here's the conversation for not hitting her and winning:

Goon: We did it, Serika-san!
Serika: Yeah, we won!
Serika: You were awesome.
Goon: You think so? Thanks.
Goon: (I'm glad I took it so seriously.)
Goon: (Come to think of it, when did she change?)

10/23: Worth it.

Goon: I promised Serika-san I'd go sightseeing with her. I'll wait here in the lobby.
Serika: Hey, good morning. Did I keep you waiting?
Goon: Nah, not at all. You're early, even. Let's get moving.

This scene takes place at the Kazamidori-no-yakata, AKA the Weathercock House. It's a well-known landmark in Kobe.

Serika: I love low-key buildings like this.
Serika: I especially love that weathercock - it really pulls the place together, don't you think?
Option 1: I want to live in a place like this some time.
Option 2: Yeah, it's really mastered its craft.
Option 3: All weathercocks are the same, really.

Goon: Yeah, it's really mastered its craft.
Serika: "Mastered its craft"?
Serika: Haha, I see. Yeah, that weathercock's seen a lot of history from up there, hasn't it?

Serika: Hey, do you have some time right now? I was thinking we could take a look at the night sky.
Goon: Of course.
Serika: Awesome. Let's hurry.

Serika: Haha, awesome. It's like a sea of stars.
Serika: It's enough to make you forget where you are...

Serika: ...We go home tomorrow, don't we.
Serika: This will be our last memory of our school trip.
Goon: Yeah. I'm glad we could see this gorgeous nightscape before we headed back.
Serika: Yeah. It's beautiful.

Serika: I wish we could stare out at this forever.
Serika: Just the two of us. Forgetting about what happened before, or what'll happen tomorrow.
Goon: What?
Serika: Oh...

Serika: I'm not really acting like myself.
Serika: I thought that I didn't know I could feel this way anymore.
Goon: (...Serika-san.)

Next time: But at what cost?

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 11, 2014

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I like to imagine that Goon is actually time traveling during the reloads, and he pushed Emi down the stairs himself as a drastic measure to spend time with Serika during the trip. (He probably wore a disguise consisting of nothing but a balaclava, bikini briefs, and the Secret Boots :v:)

Alpha3KV fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 18, 2014

Fishcake
May 29, 2014

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: Some day, I'll buy one of these and give it to you, Tachibana-san.
Emi: Hehe, you always joke.
Emi: I appreciate the sentiment, but this kind of giant diamond is simply too much for me.
Goon: (Looks like I made a good impression)

Y'know, if Goon wants so much to prevent the girls from getting the wrong idea, you'd think he'd figure out to not give out flower bouquets and joke about diamond rings.

quote:

It's hard to figure out why Emi goes through 8 seconds of random pose changes before saying anything - I guess they wanted to show some emotion, but it really just looks like she can't figure out where to put her hands.

I'm pretty sure that was the "Well, that escalated much more dramatically than my wildest hopes" dance.

"Okay, act casual, Emi, you know he's interested in Serika, pretty sure that wasn't an actual proposal... or was it?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alpha3KV posted:

I like to imagine that Goon is actually time traveling during the reloads, and he pushed Emi down the stairs himself as a drastic measure to spend time with Serika during the trip. (He probably wore a disguise consisting of nothing but a balaclava, bikini briefs, and the Secret Boots :v:)

He learned from the best.

Pretty soon, he'll be answering every question with the last words repeated back.

"Diamond ring?"

"Friendly deer?"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yukiko: A BRIGHT RED CRAYON JUST FOR YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

He learned from the best.

Pretty soon, he'll be answering every question with the last words repeated back.

"Diamond ring?"

"Friendly deer?"

"METAL GEAR?!"

(Still working on the thing)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This week in stream chat: Evo, and the Eraserhead of visual novels.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: (I heard that Tachibana-san fell down the stairs and hurt her leg.)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

It's so hilariously wrong that while going on a bomb-clearing date with Emi, we use it to pump her for information about Serika.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Someone clearly put out a hit on Emi. Either Vibratingsheep, Serika, or (even worse) Yukiko.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Tokimemo 3, chapter 9: The night is still young

Freshman: Senpai!
Freshman: Senpai, hurry up! The anmitsu shop's all-you-can-eat deal is almost over!
Emi: I'm sorry. As you can see, I promised these girls I would go to the shopping district with them.
Goon: You're pretty popular, Tachibana-san.

Freshman: Senpai, hurry up!
Emi: You'll have to excuse me.

Between this and Serika's ability to rock a mens' suit, I feel like maybe we've stumbled into a yuri game.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Catalina posted:

It's so hilariously wrong that while going on a bomb-clearing date with Emi, we use it to pump her for information about Serika.

This is pretty much the only reason we met Emi in this run.

Fishcake posted:

Y'know, if Goon wants so much to prevent the girls from getting the wrong idea, you'd think he'd figure out to not give out flower bouquets and joke about diamond rings.

Look it was either the flower bouquet or an Ancient Beauty Mark that I dug up out of the ground, okay?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's actually a random chance a girl will get injured and be out of the picture? Wow.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Considering the image of her in bed, I'm sure we're going to find out next time Emi getting injured is an important route event, resulting in unending cascade of affection boosts and bomb-clearing dates. Hope you have a pre-injury save, Sheep!

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

Goon: So? How was it?
Takuo: Don't ask me. Please don't ask me anything.
Goon: ?
Takuo: Well... I just kind of forgot to save before I decided to peek into the baths. It's... basically RNG dependent, and I got the worst result. I'm trying to get the image out of my head... ugh...
Goon: What the hell are you talking about?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
we tokimemo now

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This week in stream chat: Persona, and the greatest Boys 2 Men cover band the world has ever known.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Quotin' this post here, because Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun is great and you should watch it:

vibratingsheep posted:

Please help me. I can't stop watching Nozaki-kun episode 4. It sings to me so much after months of doing Tokimeki Memorial LP translation and analysis.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Quotin' this post here, because Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun is great and you should watch it:

I feel like instead of Tokimemo 3, I should just stream the Tokimemo half of that Nozaki-kun episode tonight. I'd get insta-banned from Twitch for doing it, but I also wouldn't be playing Tokimemo 3.

(Yes the stream will be up tonight. Sorry for lack of posts, I'll get back on the horse when I can)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's alright, I can understand wanting to take a break from the tedium of TM3.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This lp was the first thing I thought of when watching that episode. :allears:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

You know, seeing Yukiko in that winter coat "disguise" inspired me.

(I'm not sorry)

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

He actually got the Shiori ending somewhere in there, according to the subs I was watching.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo 3, Chapter 11: And they were never heard from again

So, the good news is that as of the start of this post, Tokimemo 3 is over halfway done.

The bad news is, unlike other Tokimemos, year 1.5 through year 3 is still an uphill struggle. The bombs come fast and furious, and the game is still Tokimeki Memorial 3. A good example of this is Goon's birthday. Now that Serika is quite fond of our Goon, she's going to give him a birthday present - the first time I went through this segment, she actually gave him a leather jacket, which was quite possibly the best present possible in the game. Sadly, that run was not a keeper. Instead, we ended up with this:

10/26: Goon's birthday

(ding dong!)
Goon: Coming!

Serika: Yo, (awkward $playername pause), sorry for just dropping by without saying anything.
Goon: Serika-san? What's up?

Serika: Well, you know, uh...
Serika: Today was your birthday, right?
Goon: Huh? Oh. Yeah.
Serika: Right, so that's why I figured I'd, um, give you this present.

Serika: Will you accept it?
Goon: Of course I will, Serika-san. How could I possibly refuse?
Goon: Thanks.

Serika: N, no need to thank me.
Serika: Anyway, let's try this again.
Serika: Happy birthday.
Goon: (Serika-san remembered my birthday, and came by my house just to hand me a present.)
Goon: (This is the best birthday ever.)

Received hand-knitted mittens

On the plus side, the mittens are an equippable item. The description of them is "Warm, and made with love."

On the minus side, they are one of a giant freaking pile of useless equippable items, like the budgie smuggler, the secret boots, the decrepit hairband, the baseball hat, the Hawaiian shirt, the sandals, the fake beauty mark, the shorts, the jeans, the sweater, the baseball cap...

10/27: The price of happiness

Goon: Oh yeah, I remember hearing that Tachibana-san went to the hospital.
Goon: I wonder how she's doing?
Goon: As a member of the aikido club, I should probably go check on her.
Option 1: Yeah, I should go visit her in the hospital
Goon: I'll swing by on the way home.

Goon: So this is where Tachibana-san's recuperating.

Goon: Hey, Tachibana-san. I stopped by to see how you're doing.
Emi: Thank you for gooing so far out of your way. How is everyone in the club doing?
Goon: We seem to be getting by.
Emi: Oh, that is a relief.
Goon: So I heard you fell down the stairs - did you really land that badly?

How... wonderfully tactful, Goon. Couldn't you have asked something simpler, like, say "So what happened?" instead of going "I heard what happened, but how'd you gently caress it up so bad?"

Emi: Umm, I fell from the top of the stairway.
Goon: Wh, what?!

Way to go, Goon. You have the gentle bedside manner of a sock full of quarters.

Emi: It hurt so much that I couldn't stand, and they had to take me straight to the hospital.
Emi: They diagnosed it as a complete tear of my medial cruciate ligament.
Goon: A tear of the ligawhat?
Emi: Put simply, one of the ligaments in my knee that connects my leg bones together has been cut.
Goon: Wh, whoa!

Emi: But the surgery went well, so I'm fine now.
Emi: Thank you for your concern.
Goon: Oh, I see. Well, I have to go. Take care.
Emi: Um, before you go--
Emi: *sigh*
Emi: No. It's nothing. Thank you for stopping by.

Goon: (Tachibana-san told me she was fine, but it seems like a pretty bad injury to me.)

10/28: Yukiko bomb warning

Yukiko: Oh no! He knows what I've done! I can't let him live!

Oh who'm I kidding, we all know what she's really thinking.

10/31: Halloween

Serika: Goon.
Goon: Hey, Serika-san. What's going on?
Serika: You alone right now? You wanna, um, walk home together?
Goon: Option 1: Yeah, let's go.

Serika: Here, I want you to have this.
Goon: What's this? A little bag of candy?
Serika: Yeah, today's Halloween and I figured I'd give you a little something to commemorate it.
Goon: Oh, I see, today's Halloween. Thanks.
Goon: (While Halloween's mostly for American kids, it's been a fad lately for Japanese people to give candy to their good friends.)

Serika: I, I usually don't care much about these kinds of events.
Serika: But hey, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.
Serika: Are you gonna accept it?
Goon: Of course! Thanks.

11/3: A relevant discovery, for once!

Goon: Oh, there's a bowling alley behind the theater? I never noticed.

The bowling alley can only be discovered after a date or two at the movie theater, and after that it's kinda RNG-based. And now, we have access to Serika's favorite mini-game! This will come up later.

11/5: Emi's recovery

Emi: Oh!
Goon: ??
Goon: Oh, hey Tachibana-san.
Emi: I wanted to thank you for visiting me in the hospital. They just released me.
Goon: Oh, I'm glad for you.
Emi: Yes, and thanks to them my progress is excellent.
Emi: There will not be any effect on my daily life.

From what I understand, going from a complete MCL tear that requires surgery to being on your feet in 3 weeks is pretty much a miracle of medical science. Good job, Emi's doctors!

Emi: But... it seems like I will have to undergo 2 months of rehabilitation and physical therapy before I can do any strenuous physical activity.
Goon: 2 months? That's a pretty long time.
Emi: I cannot blame anything but my own carelessness for the injury, so I just have to accept this.
Option 1: You should be more careful from now on.
Option 2: It might be really rough, but good luck.
Option 3: If there's anything I can do to help, just tell me.

Option 3 is obviously the one that you're supposed to choose, while option 1 is "ha ha, sucks to be you" option. Since we're on the Serika route, we'll pick the neutral option.

Goon: It might be really rough, but good luck.
Emi: Thank you for being so considerate. Now if you'll excuse me.
Goon: Yeah, see you.
Goon: (Seems like it'll be pretty tough for Tachibana-san.)

11/19: Bomb warning (Emi)

I guess she wanted Goon to hang around more during her rehab sessions, or something.

11/24: Post-birthday date with Serika

It's time to run an experiment. Let's wear exactly what Serika (and, honestly, every other girl in the game because the designers had no imagination) likes Goon to wear, except we're now also going to add the mittens that Serika theoretically knitted for Goon with love. It's late November, it shouldn't be weird to see people wearing gloves while waiting outside for the bus, right?

Serika: What's with that outfit? You look like a mess.
Goon: What? This? Well...

Goon: Well, I'm wearing what you gave me a month ago. For my birthday. Remember that? You made these for me?

Serika: Well, whatever. It doesn't matter, I guess.

YKWSTG count: 9

I'm so annoyed by watching this portion of the video that I'm just not even going to translate the date. The right answer is to agree with Serika's assessment of marine life and say that rays have an elegance to them.

It is significant that one of the only non-canned responses comes if you ask Serika about Emi's knee injury, though.

Serika: I wonder if Emi's really gonna be alright...
Serika: She keeps telling me I shouldn't worry, but that's not something she can just brush off.
Goon: (She's really worried about Tachibana-san, isn't she?)

Oh, and here are the alternate names you can try to call Serika:

Secchin, Serika-hime, Seri-pon, Serika-tan, Seri-tan, Anego, Serikacchi, Seri-chan.

She will slap you upside the head if you try to call her any of them. But she will let Goon drop the relative formality of Serika-san and call her just Serika from now on. So at least that's something. But we're relegating these drat mittens to the bottom of the scrap heap - they can't even be displayed, unlike most of the other useless crap in this game.

Next time: Covert ops...

And black ops.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 11, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Serika keeps dressing to impress.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I see Serika is trying out her new Imperial officer costume.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

PBJ posted:

Soon she'll have to go to war with Yukiko.

Man, was one of the complaints about Tokimemo that it was too easy and so Konami oversteered and made it impossible?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Jenner posted:

Soon she'll have to go to war with Yukiko.

Man, was one of the complaints about Tokimemo that it was too easy and so Konami oversteered and made it impossible?

Difficulty has never really been an issue with Tokimemo, since there are so many characters with different requirements, so they have a ton of knobs to turn to make individual characters more or less difficult. The biggest problem with Tokimemo 3 is that they planned way too many systems, and obviously never had any time to tune them.

"Ooh, hey, what if you can dig up useful items?"
"Okay, let's do that! I made a list of fun things that are kinda silly"
"Alright, what about useful?"
"Oh no, we're out of time! Push this game out the door"

There are at least 4 knobs that make me slap my forehead like that - the ridiculous bomb sensitivity of the game, the "talk to her friends to find out how she feels oh except they hate you if you ask them" system, the entire inventory system and its abundance of vendor trash in a game with no vendors, and the sheer number of times you get "oh, this is RNG-based, you'll have to reload until it works or it might never happen in a favorable way" as the answer to what's happening under the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PBJ posted:

Pretty much the only person I've ever seen look good in a blackblood's uniform. Including the blackbloods that Lucas cast in the Star Wars films.

• Locked thread